Pick-Pocket Experience

Canuck50

I just want to pass along my unfortunate experience and recommendations so others can minimize their risk.

I arrived in Bangkok on August 10 and the next afternoon while walking outside MBK I had my iPhone 4 lifted from one pocket and my wallet containing cash, credit cards, bank cards, and other important id from the other pocket. These were in the two front pockets of my shorts with velcro flaps so I felt they were relatively secure....this is how it happened:

Walking along with my girlfriend and passing though a congested area of street vendors when people began to squeeze together. My g/f became separated in from of me and this "big girl" sucking on a Slurpee pushed between us and then slowed in front of me. Each time I tried to move around her she would turn the same way and prevent my passing. I was getting annoyed at how dumb this girl was when another girl coming toward me stopped beside her, shoulder to shoulder as both pretended to be looking at merchandise and blocked my way. Then people behind me started pushing me against them and of course I thought they were frustrated by the slow pace. Not so, as that is when one or likely two accomplices lifted the velcro flaps and took my phone and wallet. I didn't feel a thing likely because of so much pushing and my frustration at the situation. Suddenly they turned away, I caught up with my g/f who told me to check my pockets because she found someone trying to open the zipper on her purse. Sure enough, they were both gone. We went back to look for these girls but long gone.

We took tuk tuk to local police station who were sympathetic and helpful in providing some desk space so I could call credit card companies to cancel cards and a computer so I could try and track the location of my phone (to no avail). They filled in a detailed report and told me it was very unlikely they would recover anything and they suspected the girls were a gang, non-Thai. I got replacement cards in a few days but the inconvenience and loss of other papers and id was huge.

Clearly I was not properly prepared and let my guard down in this situation as I am not exposed to this sort of thing in my country and even in my travels in Russia. So here are the lessons I took away from this experience which might be obvious to more seasoned people on here and hopefully helpful for others:

1. Carry a minimum amount of cash and valuables when going out...leave the non essentials at home or hotel.

2. Carry cash, cards, and passport in a money belt under your shirt, as uncomfortable as these sometimes are. Don't carry anything valuable in external pockets.

3. I will not allow myself to get into a crush of people like that again. When thing get that close or someone is breathing down my neck, I will turn and get out of there. If travelling with a friend, make a point to not allow yourselves to get separated.

4. Probably best to avoid some of these hot spots for theft altogether.

5. If you have a smartphone, make sure and have software activated so you can try and trace, or at least lock and wipe the data from the phone if they try and use it. I at least had that much foresight. Otherwise, no telling how much important data they could have recovered off that device!

The bottom line is that if you loose valuables in this way, you are essentially on your own. I don't see the police trying too hard to catch these people (such as setting up sting operations) or get your valuables back. But they will be VERY sympathetic!

Live and learn! ;-)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent post Vic, thanks.

Reading your story actually made me realise that I have been a little complacent about these kinds of thefts...I was in MBK the other day.

Will certainly stay on my guard in future.

Aside from the loss of your iPhone - it must be a complete pain in the a*se to have to cancel credit cards etc...

Sorry to hear your bad experience. I don't know if I have been just lucky or careful, but in over 40 years of travelling and visiting over 80 countries I have never had a thing stolen.When I'm in crowded markets, or crowds anywhere, I keep my hand pressed against the pocket I have my wallet in, not foolproof, but it's worked so far.

Yes, I normally do that also. I think in this case I brought my hands up because of the amount of pushing going on. That is probable part of their method as these people were obviously pros and not beginners at this. I suspect there were at least 4 to6 involved.

Reading your story actually made me realise that I have been a little complacent about these kinds of thefts...I was in MBK the other day.

Aside from the loss of your iPhone - it must be a complete pain in the a*se to have to cancel credit cards etc...

Same here never had a problem guess to sheer luck. And worst of it all is the bankcards ect.

Sorry to hear about your experience Vic.

As a help to anyone else who is worried about this; I have used one of these for a couple of years now, travelling all over the world.

http://pacsafe.com/venturesafe-100-anti-theft-fanny-pack

I think they are brilliant (as long as you remember to close and clip the zip!!!!!!!!)

Same here never had a problem guess to sheer luck. And worst of it all is the bankcards ect.

Actually the credit and bank cards were not that difficult. I called them immediately, they cancelled, re-issued, and received all replacements in a week. Luckily I did have other resources to see me though. The timing of the phone was bad because I didn't want to buy a replacement 4 with the 5 due in a month. Also although my contacts were backed up from my phone, I had so much important data that was not. Again, another lesson learned!

Thanks for your post Vic.......I can only imagine that it must leave a sick feeling in your stomach.

I've always carried my wallet in my front pocket as you did, but like others I think I have just been lucky.

Had a look at that fanny pack from BoonTong, looks good......but to me still says to everyone "hey look....this is where I keep all my valuables". Still always have to be on your guard.

As a help to anyone else who is worried about this; I have used one of these for a couple of years now, travelling all over the world.

http://pacsafe.com/v...heft-fanny-pack

I think they are brilliant (as long as you remember to close and clip the zip!!!!!!!!)

Thanks Boon Toong, I have a cheap fanny now that I don't trust because there are no locks and the release clip is on the opposite side which make it vulnerable. But that one looks amazing, hidden release, cut-resistant materials, zip clip. I will try and find one for sure

Thanks for your post Vic.......I can only imagine that it must leave a sick feeling in your stomach.

I've always carried my wallet in my front pocket as you did, but like others I think I have just been lucky.

Had a look at that fanny pack from BoonTong, looks good......but to me still says to everyone "hey look....this is where I keep all my valuables". Still always have to be on your guard.

Yes, did feel pretty sick about it for a few days but once replacements arrived, I felt better. Thinking back now, they probably need the money more than me but too bad they can't learn to come by it honestly!

http://pacsafe.com/v...heft-fanny-pack

Thanks Boon Toong, I have a cheap fanny now that I don't trust because there are no locks and the release clip is on the opposite side which make it vulnerable. But that one looks amazing, hidden release, cut-resistant materials, zip clip. I will try and find one for sure

They were selling them in Central (Silom) about a year back but I can't remember which shop they sell them in.

You are right about them being a bit 'overt' RSquared, but I think a lot of professional pickpockets will know about these and, therefore, go for a softer target.

Bad luck OP. A very very similar sting happened to me in Pratanum markets a year or so back. They got my passport on that occasion.

I feel your pain.

Wow, that must have been a bigger problem. Was it hard to get it replaced? That was the only luck I had was that I had left my passport at home.

-Vicl-

Some time ago, one of my companions, had the same experience at the Lower Sukhumvit. There you have a lot of shops on the sidewalk.

Somebody, blocked, somebody pushed, than you do not feel the soft opening of a pocket and his wallet was gone.

He realized that later when he wanted to pay in a Nana Plaza GoGo Bar.rolleyes.gif

I would not be so harsh with police work, with so many people and steady flow of it, I think difficult to find the culprits who sure every some day change the hunting ground.

But with more and more observing CC Tv cameras around the chances to catch people like these should increase.

I only put some money in my front pocket if I go out in he crowded night streets in BKK.

And in Aranyaprathet-Poi Pet on the crowded border to Cambodia, a bunch of small kids where pushing around my body and after that my money of my front trousers pocket was gone. I only felt a slightly breeze.rolleyes.gif Reached in my pocket and money gone and children ran.

My open shoulder bag, with my Mobile sticking out of it, standing on the chair next to me at my small table at a road side restaurant in Sukhumvit Soi 7 opposite the BEERGARDEN Soi 7 got the attention and the eyes of some kids.

They joked around with me for a long time, than when they kept me busy on the right side and I looked there, one of the child took my mobile on the left.

Immediately the children went away, I missed the mobile short time later but to late.whistling.gif

In Sihanoukville, a begging boy who I never saw, wiled himself in the Restaurant where I was sitting with others,

they saw him and my small gentleman's shoulder bag was gone afterwards, with a lot inside!

http://www.thaivisa....-sihanoukville/

Regarding lost or stolen Passport, it would be no big thing.

I had that experience once in TH already.

First to police to write report, second to your Embassy, consular section and apply for a new-normal only temporary Passport (1-2 days),

third to the Immigration office which give you a new stamp in that Passport after checking their Computer files.

Edited by ALFREDO

Bad luck OP. A very very similar sting happened to me in Pratanum markets a year or so back. They got my passport on that occasion.

I feel your pain.

Ditto, just my wallet on the crowded sidewalk on petchburi road near the market. I had to walk as far as the walkover between CW and Gaysorn to find a Tourist Police who said with a chuckle "dont go over there, bad area"...absolute truth.

When I was in BKK a couple of months ago, I was browsing through the channels in my hotel. Came across a documentary of a Vegas pickpocket performer, and his quest to find the most notorious pickpockets in Italy.

They all gave one piece of advice:

Keep your wallet in your front pocket, and do not place it vertically down your pants, but horizontally. This essentially locks it into place and no pickpocket will attempt to lift it.

It makes it an absolute bitch to pull it out of your pants, though.

• Like 1

OP sorry to hear of your experience.

SImilar to Bookman I had some following me in the market behind Platinum. Is that Pratunam market ? Everytime I stopped he stopped. So with my back to a market stall looked at him. He realised the game was up and walked past.

Another is the kids selling flowers always watch your pockets with them. Dont let them jump on you or grab you like they try to. I know this sounds harsh, but they won't take no for an answer if you are soft and your money will be gone.

If the pavement is crowded walk on the road. Especially in tourist areas. And when walking past or through crowds always bring your bag into your chest as theives will use a knife to cut the strap or open the bag.

If you do find someone doing what the girl did stop stand sideways, hold your pockets and let them through. They then can't continue to pretend.

Always keep an eye on your pockets if watching a street show or stall that's trying to get peoples attention. I caught someone trying that one in KL girl dressed like a hooker who when caught said something like "You want girlfriend" before disappearing.

The only other time, also caught in the act was in South London.

Sounds like you had no chance with those professionals. I have had people attempt to pick pocket me many times in Thailand but so far they haven't got anything. I just always keep my guard up and have my valuables in Velcro or zippered pockets. Whenever in a crowd like that I keep my hands near both pockets so it guards them but they don't know which one I am protecting. Thanks for the warning though.

On the topic of pickpockets - I came across this article today about somebody's new invention for a weird travel pillow....

http://www.watoday.c...0925-26ied.html

Supposedly allows you to have a nice little sleep at the airport.

It is OUTRAGEOUSLY hilarious - I bet airport thieves worldwide are praying it goes into production.....

art-Ostrich-Pillow-2-620x349.jpg

That suitcase next to him/her is going to be stolen in 5...4...3...2...

Edited by SeaVisionBurma
  • Like 1

I feel your pain.

Wow, that must have been a bigger problem. Was it hard to get it replaced? That was the only luck I had was that I had left my passport at home.

It was not too bad really. Could have been a lot worse if i was out of bangkok.

I filed the police report, not near the markets, but out near Ramkhamhaeng where I was staying. That was easy. I wrote what happened in English and the Police guy signed it.

I reported the passport stolen with the embassy ( i think i did that online), then called or used the website to work out what I had to do with them. Happened on a Saturday. Went in to the embassy on Monday and filled in the paperwork. Wednesday morning (from memory)i picked up an emergency passport and some documents they gave me. Went out to the Immigration centre in Chaengwattana road, showed them the documents and had a new entry stamp put in passport. (The Australian embassy and them Immigration centre took most of the day). Got back to Australia and had the emergency passport replaced (took a few weeks)

Total cost was about 12 000 baht to replace the passport etc, which i claimed back on travel insurance.

Like yourself and bkkjames I had my wallet and passport in the front pocket (thigh) of my cargo pants, which was buttoned. The wallet must have been too deep for them to get. The fat lady in my case was attempting to buy a drink from a vendor and I could not get past her. I thought she was disabled or just an idiot. Really it was identical to yourself, but a different setting.

(i had read on a news article months before on ThaiVisa about pickpockets in the exact area I was in and that several consulates had complained about it happening). I had been to the exact are I was in that day quite a few times before without a problem.

My GF was upset that she 'let it happen'. She had walked ahead just a few metres.

Btw, dont assume Pickpockets are only men. I am 90% sure the one that got me was a gal (she looked like one anyway). Down a crowded sidewalk, one doesnt give 2nd glance to a female pushing up against you like a man would have.

I suspect the same for myself.

I find the easiest thing to do is a soon as you feel close with others is just put your hands in your pockets, nothng is coming out then.

I would never carry anything in a back pocket so that dosnt even figure, but the two front pockets, just put your hands in them, job done. Worked well for me for 30 years.

I have seen those bags and similar devices just sliced across the bottom with a scalpal or stanley blade.

I cant imagine the frustration and annoyance at being on the receiving end of that sort of crime,

Edited by CharlieH

I find the easiest thing to do is a soon as you feel close with others is just put your hands in your pockets, nothng is coming out then.

I would never carry anything in a back pocket so that dosnt even figure, but the two front pockets, just put your hands in them, job done. Worked well for me for 30 years.

I have seen those bags and similar devices just sliced across the bottom with a scalpal or stanley blade.

I cant imagine the frustration and annoyance at being on the receiving end of that sort of crime,

put a pet scorpion in the back pocket...just be careful when you sit down.

"they suspected the girls were a gang, non-Thai."

Oh yes, of course.

Regarding your advice, I actually had a phone nicked at the Euros in Portugal a few years ago, I could feel the little b*st*rd doing it but my arms were pinned in the crowd entering the stadium.

I looked back and there were dozens of little Eastern European kids (all working for the Bulgarian or Romanian Fagin no doubt) nipping in and out of the entrances right under the noses of the mounted police who did absolutely nothing.

Once inside the stadium area there was no way back and I had to write it off.

Two things I do now: Never take out what I don't expect to lose in a night (spending money and smokes and a cheap phone); and stay away from crowded areas and especially Katoeys, whose fingers are so deft they could probably remove a kidney before you knew about it.

Edited by Chicog