Red Bull Heir Pays Bt3M To Victim's Family

Lite Beer

lol

3 million baht. What a joke. Me in my fantasy dreams actually thought the amount to pay of the victim's family would be a lot higher.

You can get thrown in the jug for posting something on the internet about someone, I read that the penalty for being an illegal tour guide is some obscene amount... but if you are loaded, or from a loaded family, you can kill a person with your car and basically be penalized pocket money. Pocket money does not hurt! Pathetic.

What you don't get here, is that is not money ordered paid by anyone. This money paid by the Red Bull family of their own free will! For a family that rich, ofcourse you can always discuss the amount?? But this has got nothing whatsoever to do with the upcoming courtcase. As for the internet-thing, I agree with you 100%.

Whether it was mandated by the court or not, the amount paid was a pittance and does not show any remorse at all. It seems more like... I have it all and you small fry should take the crumbs I throw at you or take nothing. The money given would not even cover the price of the car involved in the incident.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hate of the rich never stops for you guys at your stonetables outside 7-eleven.sad.png As some of the posters above are longstayers here, they should be well aware of this is the way doing things in Thailand, whether you are rich of poor. Go to your local policestation every day of the week, and you will see many accidents being settled by paying a few thousend bath to the victims. And the perpetrator and the victim leaving the copshop together, big wais and smiles all around, because most importantly, noone lost face.

Btw I think, that 3M baht is very generous for an unmarried cop with no kids, meaning the money will go to his aging parents, securing them some good last days. The Thai way, for better or worse!wai.gif

However distasteful this is, the key point is here, the family have negotiated this amount, with all the publicity around this case, one assumes they could gone for a significant amount and yet they havent, they have been made an offer and accepted, no nowhere in the article does it say that the amount paid is a pay off in lieu of criminal proceedings...

So why dont you guys save your mock outrage for another day

Do you think the policeman's family negotiated this amount without exterior pressure?

-mel.

Mel, you have been here for a while, so you should know whoever was representing the victim, would be so kreng jai, just sitting face to face with so "important" people, that they would have accepted any amount suggested.wai.gif

As in my previous post, which gave me some interesting replies, I am not defending or approving the Thai way, just describing the way it is. coffee1.gif

The hate of the rich never stops for you guys at your stonetables outside 7-eleven.sad.png As some of the posters above are longstayers here, they should be well aware of this is the way doing things in Thailand, whether you are rich of poor. Go to your local policestation every day of the week, and you will see many accidents being settled by paying a few thousend bath to the victims. And the perpetrator and the victim leaving the copshop together, big wais and smiles all around, because most importantly, noone lost face.

Btw I think, that 3M baht is very generous for an unmarried cop with no kids, meaning the money will go to his aging parents, securing them some good last days. The Thai way, for better or worse!wai.gif

sad very sad

Yeah how much is your life worth? Your family would be happy with $100,000 dollars or $3m Baht for your sorry life that is pretty sad; I like to think of myself worth a little more.

Very sad what happened to this police officer and that punk should be thrown in jail for a long time regardless of how much money you have.

So you are actually condoning this? You make my blood boil and that's putting it mildly. ..
  • Like 1

This is Thailand and I don't agree with many things here, but I fail to see the significance of how much someone gets paid if one of there loved ones is murdered or killed.

Shouldn't the crime dictate the punishment, not the bank account?

Personally if one of my family was killed or murdered I would not accept a penny (or baht in this case) as I feel it would be doing a disservice to the dead person. Spending that money would just be abhorrent to me. But this is Thailand and they do things differently here.

• Like 1

This is Thailand and I don't agree with many things here, but I fail to see the significance of how much someone gets paid if one of there loved ones is murdered or killed.

Shouldn't the crime dictate the punishment, not the bank account?

Personally if one of my family was killed or murdered I would not accept a penny (or baht in this case) as I feel it would be doing a disservice to the dead person. Spending that money would just be abhorrent to me. But this is Thailand and they do things differently here.

Well things are different sadly. This is not a welfare state and the policeman would have been giving financial support to his parents in their old age. Children are all part of the pension plan here. Without their son the elderly parents will have zero in terms of future support, so morals aside they are caught between a rock and a hard place unless you want them both just to leap off a tall building now. They have to get something and the criminals family have abused that desperation.

TheWalkingMan said in post 31

The money given would not even cover the price of the car involved in the incident.

The car would cost around 27 Million baht!

• Like 1

If this happened in the UK I think the compensation would be zero for a single person because they don't have any dependents. Not 100% sure, but I think that's roughly how it works. I have read cases where a man got killed but his long-term gf didn't get anything because she wasn't considered a dependent because they weren't married. All wrong of course, but just pointing out that it's not just Thailand.

GentlemanJim,

Of course children paying for their elderly parents happens here, but it is no guarantee it happens with all. We can speculate what the victim gave to his parents and would in the future, but that is just unfounded speculation.

And please post accordingly with you tag name, suggesting I might want his parents to jump off a building is not fitting to your name and hopefully your character.

GentlemanJim,

Of course children paying for their elderly parents happens here, but it is no guarantee it happens with all. We can speculate what the victim gave to his parents and would in the future, but that is just unfounded speculation.

And please post accordingly with you tag name, suggesting I might want his parents to jump off a building is not fitting to your name and hopefully your character.

sigh !!

Yes we can only speculate about what he gave his parents. To be honest the amount the parents receive is immaterial. The amount given in no way displays any sign of remorse by the family for the actions of the son.

Double sigh !!

I was not suggesting that YOU wanted them to jump off a tall building so it certainly does not reflect on my name or my character. Does everybody here post in accordance with their tag name? How is an 'Mjj' expected to post? Gentleman Jim was a boxer by the way.

So you are actually condoning this? You make my blood boil and that's putting it mildly. ..

Getting a little tired of you guys, who can't even read. Where in my post do I say that I am conding anything??ermm.gif

Getting a little tired of you guys, who can't even read. Where in my post do I say that I am conding anything??ermm.gif

It is the way it is and extremely distasteful. It only serves to stolk the feeling that the rich buy their way out of everything.

What is odd is that it wasn't 30mn or 300mn. Or an education and pension fund or estate? Why not? Scared to set a precedent?

They could have paid gazillion more than this and really taken responsibility if money is the measurement of their feelings of familial wrongdoing?

No more redbull for me. Cheap expedient, kee niao, uncaring irresponsible family. How much does it cost to run an F1 team?

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

GentlemanJim,

sigh !!

Yes we can only speculate about what he gave his parents. To be honest the amount the parents receive is immaterial. The amount given in no way displays any sign of remorse by the family for the actions of the son.

Double sigh !!

I was not suggesting that YOU wanted them to jump off a tall building so it certainly does not reflect on my name or my character. Does everybody here post in accordance with their tag name? How is an 'Mjj' expected to post? Gentleman Jim was a boxer by the way.

So what is a sign of remorse? Giving 80% of there total wealth? Why is the figure relevant to the amount they have?

Regarding you double sigh, don't write,

'Unless you want them to jump off a tall building now' then.

Where is the 'you're a turd' smiley?

What a ruddy disgrace bah.gif - I wouldn't have settled for less than 100M from that family, despite the fact that an out of court settlement was coming!

3M Baht? For a life?? To get off a young twi@t who wouldn't know his own dance pole if it hit him between the eyes?

I really do hope this is covered worldwide, in the media!

Time to REALLY stop buying their items for sale, and having a dig at Formula 1 every time Red Bull appears.

Disgusting course of events. Ultimately, and very sadly, a course of events that would only happen in this pit of hubbed corruption. ermm.gif

This wouldn't even be accepted in South Amercian countries.

-mel.

Disgusting ! Absolutely ! BUT ... do you really all think they had a choice...?? Powerful ... super powerful family who showed the media all over such sincere condolences and sorrow .... Boohoohoo !! Snif! Snif!! ... ok well , here is 3 million Baht to compensate and yea we are really sorry this happened and hope this makes up for it all !! ... WHAT ,,, NOT ENOUGH !! Take it and shut the <<Snip!>> up or else ......!!! Don't ask ok...? Now take it and go away before I really lose it !! ...sick.gif ... THAT IS THE REALITY OF IT ....

Would I take money if my daughter was killed in such a way .... Nooooo!! Justice to me would be for the brat to serve his time in jail !! Money is not a replacement for such a loss caused by the carelesness and selfishness of this kind of person

Edited by metisdead
: Profanity
  • Like 2

GentlemanJim,

sigh !!

Double sigh !!

So what is a sign of remorse? Giving 80% of there total wealth? Why is the figure relevant to the amount they have?

Regarding you double sigh, don't write,

'Unless you want them to jump off a tall building now' then.

Now lets not fall out shall we. I will write what I like within the rules, perhaps you should be a little less sensitive. As regards what is a sign of remorse then that is up to the family, but 3 M really is chump change. In percentage terms it is the same as having 1600 baht in your pocket and giving someone 3 setang it displays zero acceptance of responsibility and accountability, but it does follow rules 1,2 and 3 of the Amart - keep the poor poor, never let the poor become rich. Now shall we finish on 'Gentlemanly' terms :)

• Like 2

What a ruddy disgrace bah.gif - I wouldn't have settled for less than 100M from that family, despite the fact that an out of court settlement was coming!

3M Baht? For a life?? To get off a young twi@t who wouldn't know his own dance pole if it hit him between the eyes?

Time to REALLY stop buying their items for sale, and having a dig at Formula 1 every time Red Bull appears.

Disgusting course of events. Ultimately, and very sadly, a course of events that would only happen in this pit of hubbed corruption. ermm.gif

-mel.

Disgusting ! Absolutely ! BUT ... do you really all think they had a choice...?? Powerful ... super powerful family who showed the media all over such sincere condolences and sorrow .... Boohoohoo !! Snif! Snif!! ... ok well , here is 3 million Baht to compensate and yea we are really sorry this happened and hope this makes up for it all !! ... WHAT ,,, NOT ENOUGH !! Take it and shut the <<Snip!>> up or else ......!!! Don't ask ok...? Now take it and go away before I really lose it !! ...sick.gif ... THAT IS THE REALITY OF IT ....

Ouch! Tough day at the office annabel? wink.png

• Like 1

However distasteful this is, the key point is here, the family have negotiated this amount, with all the publicity around this case, one assumes they could gone for a significant amount and yet they havent, they have been made an offer and accepted, no nowhere in the article does it say that the amount paid is a pay off in lieu of criminal proceedings...

So why dont you guys save your mock outrage for another day

Do you think the policeman's family negotiated this amount without exterior pressure?

-mel.

Mel, you have been here for a while, so you should know whoever was representing the victim, would be so kreng jai, just sitting face to face with so "important" people, that they would have accepted any amount suggested.wai.gif

As in my previous post, which gave me some interesting replies, I am not defending or approving the Thai way, just describing the way it is. coffee1.gif

You've had a few negative rhetorts since, but let's get this into perspective. The policeman's family were given a 'potential' reward. I propose to you that it was higher than 3M, from this family. Maybe, it was in the realms of what many would have projected, that being in the regions of 30-40-50-Million Baht.

However, this was not done in a course of justice, and at a local police station.

Now, I introduce the threat idea regarding the family again. Take it, or be fearful. Maybe, just maybe, a few million went astray, as this is what WE are used to here, in the police estate........... taken very lightly. So. yes indeed, they took in the 'face' what was in reality offered from the police, and not the family. Are you with me, still?

So you say, "smiles all round, cos nobody lost face" ?? really?

Well the local police have, the Red Bull family has, and if the pay out was for caring for elders in the policeman's family, as you suggested, then it is worse than even I projected it could have been, as these together do not add up to the 'Thai way"!

-mel.

Personally I'm not in favour of compensation or fines being relative to wealth, maybe even more so for family wealth. I have no idea what the son is worth financially, sure his family is rich and he will never go without, but he could just be a playboy for all I know.

If there were to be a fine or compensation scale relative to wealth it could never really work as the rich in this case would have to pay about 90% of there wealth to have an impact due to the amount they have.

I'm certainly not one for the rich getting away with anything, which is why I prefer the criminal procedure more with prison sentences. Years inside is the same punishment regardless of rich or poor.

The money in this case doesn't anger me as much I expect the criminal sentencing will.

-mel.

Would I take money if my daughter was killed in such a way .... Nooooo!! Justice to me would be for the brat to serve his time in jail !! Money is not a replacement for such a loss caused by the carelesness and selfishness of this kind of person

Can we get together in the ring one day?

My missus just aint providing the way you could. wink.png

-mel. smile.png

Personally I'm not in favour of compensation or fines being relative to wealth, maybe even more so for family wealth. I have no idea what the son is worth financially, sure his family is rich and he will never go without, but he could just be a playboy for all I know.

If there were to be a fine or compensation scale relative to wealth it could never really work as the rich in this case would have to pay about 90% of there wealth to have an impact due to the amount they have.

I'm certainly not one for the rich getting away with anything, which is why I prefer the criminal procedure more with prison sentences. Years inside is the same punishment regardless of rich or poor.

The money in this case doesn't anger me as much I expect the criminal sentencing will.

It means nothing unless the system works for the criminal charge? Reduce the criminal charge by paying me off? No way.

If it was my son? And compensation was discussed? Very difficult discussions?

And this will happen one day, a principled wealthy thais son or foreigner will get killed in one event or another and this wealthy thai family will be faced with an international law firm and tillike and gibbins.

And the sums will be 100 times larger and the punishment will fit the crine.

I am asuming that if the kids blood comes back positive for narcotics he will be prosecuted? Also if his actual speed can be ascertained will he face additional charges of seeping, reckless/dangerous driving, or causing death by dangerous driving?

If the amount of 3 mil was negotiated by or on behalf of the dead guys family and as such agreed, then so be it, the amount of wealth of the kids family does not really come into it.

I personally think that because the victim was a cop it could well go before a court and the kid might be in for a surprise with the outcome.

I am asuming that if the kids blood comes back positive for narcotics he will be prosecuted? Also if his actual speed can be ascertained will he face additional charges of seeping, reckless/dangerous driving, or causing death by dangerous driving?

If the amount of 3 mil was negotiated by or on behalf of the dead guys family and as such agreed, then so be it, the amount of wealth of the kids family does not really come into it.

I personally think that because the victim was a cop it could well go before a court and the kid might be in for a surprise with the outcome.

Well presuming gets lost between face and pooyais.

A neighbor's dog in my village killed some chickens from another neighbor. The owner of the dog paid 500 baht for each dead chicken, I think. Had it been my dog, a "rich falang's" dog, who had killed the chickens, I'm sure the settlement would have been higher. As disgusting an analogy as that sounds, I am afraid it is just Thai justice. We all want what we feel is right, but it's far from the reality. A 17 year old Qatari boy ran down two Egyptians in Doha while speeding in the shoulder on the highway. Same thing. A fine. A slap on the wrist. No justice. Part of us wants that RedBull pretty boy punk to be tossed in jail and the key tossed. It isn't going to happen. And 3 million pay out is a joke.

• Like 1

Sigh....

It's not hatred for the rich...

it's not wanting to have one of my kids or my wife or myself hit by a coked up drunken guy in a Ferrari one day.

There needs to be some real accountability and punishment or more innocent people will die

• Like 1

I think it might be important to be aware of the difference between Red Bull and the Thai original Krating Daeng.

The Yoovidhya family is in partnership with the Austrian Dietrich Mateschitz in the Red Bull name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bull

As a fan of Formula One motor racing and a fan of Vettel & Webber, I would not condemn the name of Red Bull because of the actions of one Thai man and his Ferrari.

Ferrari & Red Bull there's a good combination.