Rotating The Spare Too

Bluetongue

It is time to replace tyres on my Vigo after over 3years and 80k. Quite happy with the Bridgestone Duellers so thats not an issue. A few months ago I was quoted 32k baht for replacements. OK, but what about the spare. When I took the car for all its services I saw Toyota moving the wheels around, but now looking at the spare it has not been touched. It never occurred to me before but why wouldn't you rotate all 5 tyres, to get even wear and longevity. I suppose you would have to be proactive and ask for it.

Could I now buy 3 new tyres, use the existing spare and move the best of the current tyres to the spare spot? Or would the spare now being 3 year old be in a different state from new tyres creating a potential issue? I suppose if I just replace the 4 tyres then the spare just sits there and never gets used. Just doesn't sound clever. I plan to move on from this vehicle in about 2 years. Sorry but I haven't had a car back home for long enough to worry about tyres, always drove work vehicles and motorbikes.

I have always used the spare as just that. A get you home or to the garage tyre. As soon as the punctured tyre is fixed or replaced the spare goes back in the boot. They tend to be a steel wheel against mag wheel as well and in modern cars they are the space saver type. I do though rotate the wheels on the car.

most spare wheels now are spare wheels . to be used for a short period. i have alloys on the car and steel spare. if i wanted to use the spare for a long time i would have to get a new set of nuts as the wheel nuts used on alloys are not the correct ones to use on steel. if the spare is the same as the rest of the car rotate the wheels

You can check the manufacturing date of your spare from the DOT marking on the tyre. If your current spare is 3 years old, and you get 3 new tyres that are the same type and size, the spare tyre could be moved on to the truck and an old tyre used as the spare. Apart from wear and damage, use by age for tyres range from 5 to 10 years depending on the recommendations you want to follow. The Thai climate and roads probably do not suit the upper end of this range especially if you drive fast or with heavier loads etc. There is a good summary at http://www.tirerack.....jsp?techid=138

I reckon the Dueller H/Ts are pretty average and would have expected them to be cheaper. Thaityre.com and the Bquik web site will both give you prices if you want to check. If you decide to change all 4 tyres, there are plenty of alternatives.

Edited by Jitar

If the wheel is the same, I rotate the spare in, and when the tires are replaced, pick the best one for the spare.

If the wheel is not the same, when it came time to replace the tires, assuming I wanted to go with the same tires, I would buy three new tires and remount the spare. Then just pick out the best old tire for the spare.

There are a number of different tire rotation patterns, and it is a good idea to keep a diagram of what you want in the car so you rotate them the same way all the time. When I did my own, I would mark the tire sidewall with chalk so I would remember where they went. It’s also easy to check the brakes and front-end and scrub and wax the wheels when they are off the car.

Some tyres are directional, which you have to consider.

Personally, I left the spare where it was as it was a steel wheel but I did think about rotation. I just decided that it would do a few years as a spare without killing it.

Some tyres are directional, which you have to consider.

Personally, I left the spare where it was as it was a steel wheel but I did think about rotation. I just decided that it would do a few years as a spare without killing it.

Believe rotating directional means you can only change front to back and back to front but always on the same side.