First 90 Day Report - Can I Skip It?

Report due 10/12, not leaving until 10/18. What's the problem w/reporting? What are you Thinking? On second thought, be the Crash-test dummy, and let's just see what happens… Yea, that's it, why follow procedure?!

You might not have read all the posts.

This individual is asking whether or not reporting is required, given the potential application of a grace period.

The benevolent answers, were that the grace period does not apply, and that reporting is therefore REQUIRED.

90-day check ins are something of a joke.

Unless you're planning on applying for Permanent Residency or Thai Citizenship in the next few years, they really aren't necessary at all. If you are planning on it, then it helps to be able to show a record of diligent compliance.

But for everybody else ...

1) No one checks it except when you change or renew your visa (which, incidentally, does NOT count as a "check in"). At no point in any of many visits to the immigration office, police department, government building or ministry office, or when entering or leaving the country, did ANYONE take note of whether I had missed a 90-day check-in. In fact, in 7 years here I have never done a 90-day report/check-in.

2) When they do check at visa change/renewal, they first check your date of MOST RECENT entry.

a. If the date of most recent entry was less than 90 days before, then there's no problem and no fine. You are within the 90-day window ... even if you failed to do 90-day-reporting between your last visa renewal and your time traveling abroad. (My employer always told me: "Don't worry about 90-day reporting: so long as you cross a border within 90 days of visa renewal, there's no problem.)

b. if the date of most recent entry was over 90 days before visa change/renewal, only then do they check to see if you have made 90-day check-ins since that date. If you have not, then there is a fine 2000Bt -- which in my experience has always been waved/ignored ... or more likely just missed until I already had my stamp, and they just let it go then.

c. if you're prone to forgetting/missing them, once you miss one (and exceed the grace period), best to just blow them all off until you leave and re-enter the country, and thus reset the clock. For example, if you report late in 3 successive 90-day check-ins, then you pay the fine 3 times (6000Bt). But if you don't report at all, then you only pay the fine once (if at all) when you renew your visa, even if you hadn't reported (or crossed a border) even once in the last year.

Edited by jackw

The nice lady at CM Immigration that processed my extension recommended I not report by mail. She said the reports sometimes go missing.

As mine did! On to the Immigration office on the final day of grace period to check and I was told you must do the report today. (Chiang Mai)

MSPain

Unless you're planning on applying for Permanent Residency or Thai Citizenship in the next few years, they really aren't necessary at all. If you are planning on it, then it helps to be able to show a record of diligent compliance.

1) No one checks it except when you change or renew your visa (which, incidentally, does NOT count as a "check in"). At no point in any of many visits to the immigration office, police department, government building or ministry office, or when entering or leaving the country, did ANYONE take note of whether I had missed a 90-day check-in. In fact, in 7 years here I have never done a 90-day report/check-in.

2) When they do check at visa change/renewal, they first check your date of MOST RECENT entry.

a. If the date of most recent entry was less than 90 days before, then there's no problem and no fine. You are within the 90-day window ... even if you failed to do 90-day-reporting between your last visa renewal and your time traveling abroad. (My employer always told me: "Don't worry about 90-day reporting: so long as you cross a border within 90 days of visa renewal, there's no problem.)

b. if the date of most recent entry was over 90 days before visa change/renewal, only then do they check to see if you have made 90-day check-ins since that date. If you have not, then there is a fine 2000Bt -- which in my experience has always been waved/ignored ... or more likely just missed until I already had my stamp, and they just let it go then.

c. if you're prone to forgetting/missing them, once you miss one (and exceed the grace period), best to just blow them all off until you leave and re-enter the country, and thus reset the clock. For example, if you report late in 3 successive 90-day check-ins, then you pay the fine 3 times (6000Bt). But if you don't report at all, then you only pay the fine once (if at all) when you renew your visa, even if you hadn't reported (or crossed a border) even once in the last year.

Quite an interesting post.

But I advise to friends to do the reporting, simply because if ever one would get his passport checked, maybe as a result of a road accident for example, and reportings were not done, I would wonder if one could be considered an illegal resident, with the consequences that no one would appreciate...

If you have better information on this, I would appreciate.

And thanks for your post.

just came back in recently and noticed they have several "trainee" officers ; they are bound to do everything by the book, so if i were you i definitely wouldn't take the chance of already becoming a "troublemaker". Like someone said here before : NEVER piss-off an immigration officer.

I read your post over and over again. One thing I still do not understand though.

If I can summarize, when someone exits the country at the airport, the immigration officers do not check if 90 reportings were done or not.

When a visa is being renewed (in Thailand or in any country?) checks are then performed.

Now my question, if you are still around to answer....

If I stay in Thailand 9 months, and never report. I then go back home for 3 months, and renew my visa, in my country, to come back in Thailand. What type of checks are likely to be done at the embasy of my country?

If person is on a visa entry that requires 90 day reporting it must be non immigrant O-A and if using multi entry as most are no re-entry permit would be required during validity of the visa. As he talks about getting a new visa in home country after 9 months here and 3 months home it would appear to be what he has.

The embassy will not check if you did your 90 day reports or not.

Next time you visit immigraiton in Thailand itself, immigration can notice that you didn't do 90 day reports andthen they can fine you.

Thanks.

If I read you correctly, if I omit the 90 days reportings on a given visit to Thailand, it would be better to not report on subsequent visits, UNLESS on a new visa, which is a new start. One could opt then to follow the procedure....could...

I missed my first ever 90-day report (in 7 years) back in April and then left the country for 2 weeks, came back for 2 weeks and then left again. When I returned in May, I submitted my August 90-day report by mail (omitting the slip from April), and it was all OK. There was no fine or mention of the missed report from March, even though it had been a computerised report. I suspect that had I reported in person, it may have been spotted!

If person is on a visa entry that requires 90 day reporting it must be non immigrant O-A and if using multi entry as most are no re-entry permit would be required during validity of the visa. As he talks about getting a new visa in home country after 9 months here and 3 months home it would appear to be what he has.

Quite so.

At the embassies in Canada, the visa request forms now include a quote from Thai Visa, which states that a re-entry permit is required on exit, without specifying that this does not apply for holders of MULTIPLE enty visas.

The Embassy in Vancouver copied that quote from Thai Visa, and Ottawa followed suit. And the embassies do indicate that they do not have additional information on that quote. They do not know if the origin is authoritative or not from BKK. This quote on Thai Visa is confusing canadian travellers, and the embassies as well.

I came back this year on a multiple entry visa, no re-entry permit is required.

A re-entry permit is required on a single entry expired visa. The re-entry permit allows one to re-enter and fulfill the original 'admitted until' date.

So is my understanding.

What does that mean... Flame removed?

Forum rules:

4) Not to flame fellow members.Flaming will not be tolerated. 'Flaming' is defined as posting or responding to a message in a way clearly intended to incite useless arguments, to launch personal attacks, to insult, or to be hateful towards other members. This includes useless criticism, name-calling, swearing and any other comments meant to incite anger.

A post doing just that was deleted.

I've seen them check for 90 day reports at the CM airport for outbound international flights -- especially if they didn't like the looks/attitude of someone.

Everyone I've been with was in compliance, so I don't know for sure what they'd do if they found someone out of compliance. I recently assisted someone leaving who was about a six weeks late with his 90 day report and I suggested he take care of it at CM Immigration, where the fine would only be 2000 baht, rather than hoping he'd get thru the airport or just be dinged for a 2000 baht fine by airport immigration. Just something about their attitutde at CM airport leads me to believe they'd charge the 5000 baht maximum if they didn't like the looks/attitude of someone.

Edited by NancyL

I can not understand why anybody would even consider skipping the 90 day reports. Not reporting is breaking the law (immigration act) and could cause you to pay a lot more than the normal 2000 baht fine if they felt you were blatantly breaking the law.

It normally does not require a lot of time plus they can be mailed in or be done by somebody else.

I would never consider not going for a 90 days reporting.

From what I can read, some visitors and expats possess enough information on the Thai red tape process to bypass some of it.

A lot of information is needed to provide a level of confidence that allows someone not to report.

I have gained a lot of information from insightful people posting on this topic. But not enough to give me the confidence not to report.

But thanks to all who have shared their knowledge on this.

• 3 months later...

Grace period retire visa question , my 90 day report CM is due 10 March 2013 , I will be in Krabi til 12 , does the grace period of 7 days past due date still apply ? or should I go to Krabi , I,d rather not, who knows what nutty questions I,ll be asked .

Grace period retire visa question , my 90 day report CM is due 10 March 2013 , I will be in Krabi til 12 , does the grace period of 7 days past due date still apply ? or should I go to Krabi , I,d rather not, who knows what nutty questions I,ll be asked .

You cannot go to an Immigration office where you do not reside to do 90days, therefore you must wait till you return from Krabi and then go.