First 90 Day Report - Can I Skip It?

I am supposed to do my first 90 day report (retirement extension) on October 12. I am departing Thailand for a five day holiday on October 18. Can I skip this report and return on my reentry permit on October 22, or should I do the report? Thank you.

To tell you the truth, I had to do a 90 day report before I left Thailand, about 4 days before my departure, since staff at the Airport are not aware of the 90 day reports, I tore the chit out of my passport and went through Immigration as normal.

Remember that the day you return is day 1.

Chiang Mai immigration has been entering passport information into a computer and issuing bar codes to people doing 90 day reports ( I have one). I would imagine it shows up at immigration if they scan it. IF they scan it, because the people that issue the bar codes aren't really sure what they are put in the passport for. There have been several theories from people who (of course) spoke to the head of CM immigration, but to the menial staff I have asked, they just said "information". Anyway the point being..............I've forgotten what the point is.unsure.png

Just do it and be safe!

• Like 1

As Uptheos says if you have had a bar code on your passport then you will need to do the report.

Lopburi, if he returned, like I did and counts that as day 1 and goes to Immigration before the 90day they will not do anything, they do not look back at when the last 90 day report was. However, as said if the passport has a bar code then the OP should report

Often they will as computer will not show the previous report having been made and if departure was after it was due they will be fined. It may not be seen but often is and with computers being used to record there is no hiding anymore.

First off, thank you to those that provided helpful replies. It is appreciated.

To those that supplied the usless responses... I simply wanted to know if I was required to report, or if the grace period the friendly Captain at Immigration mentioned would apply.

Edited by Mario2008
flame deleted

whistling.gif Do the reporting before the 12th of October date.

If you leave on the 18th and return on the 23rd you will be 11 days late....and subject for a fine.

That grace period is for "inadvertant" delays that made it necessary to miss the correct date.

Deliberately not reporting AFTER the correct date....and then also going on a holiday instead.....then coming back 11 days after the reporting date....will NOT make immigration happy,

It's like a deliberate insult to them in front of their face.

Hopefully you are getting an exit-rentry permit also for that travel period too?

Why then simply not do your 90 day reporting then also?

Wouldn't you be really unhappy if on the 23rd of October you found that:

1. Because you failed to report on time you were going to fined for not reporting.

2. In addition, on re-entering Thailand you are simply given a 30 day stamp on entry....because you failed to report and your extension has been invalidated.

3. So now, you've got to reapply for that retirement extension.

Not saying it WILL happen....but deliberately p--sing off the immigration could have bad consequences.

It's a sucker's bet...don't do it....you're tweaking the Tigars tail, and the the Tiger has sharp claws.

sad.png

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

I agree only if the details have been put on a computer, but some Immigration offices still do not have the software or the means to do the bar codes yet.

Actually they have been entering 90 day report data into computers as long as they have been asking for them (almost a decade now). Remember when reporting at one-stop center on Ratachada (three moves ago) they did it directly as you waited although most seem to have saved for later entry until recently.

If you are doing a 90 day reporting then you have a single entry visa which means that you have to go to immigration to get a re-entry permit on your visa if you are leaving the country. 2 reasons to go to immigration.

AFAIK you have to report every 90 days with a +- 7 days grace period.

As soon as you leave Thailand and re-enter, the day that you re-enter is day 1 from a new 90 day report-period.

If the OP leaves 6 days after his 90-day-report-due-date, there is no problem and if he returns on the 22-10-2012, then that will be day 1 of a new 90 day period. As a precaution, take the 90-day-report slip out of your passport and keep it somewhere seperate (e.g. wallet).

Some immigration offices claim that "their" 90-days procedures are "wholy".

I already have the reentry permit. I purchased it the same time I got the retirement extension because I knew I would be taking a trip abroad. Was just hoping I could avoid an additional visit to Immigration for the 90 day report if the grace period applied.

AFAIK you have to report every 90 days with a +- 7 days grace period.

As soon as you leave Thailand and re-enter, the day that you re-enter is day 1 from a new 90 day report-period.

If the OP leaves 6 days after his 90-day-report-due-date, there is no problem and if he returns on the 22-10-2012, then that will be day 1 of a new 90 day period. As a precaution, take the 90-day-report slip out of your passport and keep it somewhere seperate (e.g. wallet).

Some immigration offices claim that "their" 90-days procedures are "wholy".

That is incorrect. You have a window of 15 days before and 7 days after the reporting date to make your report. There is no window of up to 7 days after the reporting date to not report at all.

I already have the reentry permit. I purchased it the same time I got the retirement extension because I knew I would be taking a trip abroad. Was just hoping I could avoid an additional visit to Immigration for the 90 day report if the grace period applied.

Almost all offices allow you to report by mail.

There seems so much confusion over the 90 day report it would be better if immigration stopped the 7 day grace period for reporting late.

As I understand it, there is really only 1 rule for anyone staying in Thailand holding a visa or extension to a visa and that is

If you stay in Thailand for 90 consecutive days (entry day counts as 1) then you must report.

This can be in person, having someone else go for you or by Registered mail (most not all offices). If you cannot make it on the day you may report 15 days before or up to 7 days after. Note by mail the 7 day after does not apply, it should arrive at immigration before the due date.

If you do not report...

possible consequences .... maybe nothing but, increasingly a fine of 2000 baht.

If after being fined you still cannot be bothered to report it is possible a 5000 baht fine plus 200 baht/day could be levied until you comply.

Also if you deliberately disregard the rules and have an 'attitude' with the Immigration Officer then when the time comes to get a new extension he is entitled to ask for all sorts of extra documentation to support your request. Not saying they would, but if you get under their skin enough...

Not saying I agree with 90 day reports, in my opinion should report only when you change addresses but that is not the rule at the moment.

Not adding anything new, but if you ask yourself 'Do I need to report 90 days" see line in bold above.

Don't report, give the finger to the worldwide cancer of bureaucratic banality, stupidity and oppression. Let the *nal paper collecting zombies know you are not going to put up with their inane crap. Tell them you can't lower your IQ to the low 80's to maintain a coversation on equal footing with them about useless forms that are an insult to any form of common sense. Then drop the bombshell, that the reason they cannot comprehend the irony of the Ministry of Silly Walks is because they alone did nor realise it was satire as they diligently practiced their walks hoping for promotion.

Don't forget to let us know how it works out.

• Like 1

Report due 10/12, not leaving until 10/18. What's the problem w/reporting? What are you Thinking? On second thought, be the Crash-test dummy, and let's just see what happens… Yea, that's it, why follow procedure?!

Edited by lmaxv
  • Like 1

To tell you the truth, I had to do a 90 day report before I left Thailand, about 4 days before my departure, since staff at the Airport are not aware of the 90 day reports, I tore the chit out of my passport and went through Immigration as normal.

Remember that the day you return is day 1.

I always do the same. Immigration have never checked. If you are going to go out of Thailand within 3 months of renewing your retirement visa theoretically you really never need to do a 90 report.