Work In Thailand

Hi guys,

Got a wee question and wondered if anyone could help.

I'm currently studying to become an English teacher and will hopefully have completed my CELTA by the end of this year. I'd like to work in Thailand at some point in the future and I have family over there, but I'm also in a relationship and my partner would like to relocate with me.

He is currently working as a printer to earn money, but this is not a career he would be upset to leave behind! He's completely open to trying new things and holds a BA (Hons) degree (if that makes any difference).

Obviously he can't move with me if he can't earn money over there, so I was just wondering if anyone could provide me with information on what jobs besides EFL teaching are out there in Thailand for us farangs! He's mentioned engineering, but I don't know how easy it is to get into that...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance

x

Hi, There is a complete forum on this topic just down below. Here:

http://www.thaivisa....thailand-forum/

I'm fairly new, but there is a great demand for native English speakers to teach. It requires any bachelor's degree. It seems to pay about 30,000 to 45,000 TBH (about US900 to $1,300) per month and some schools provide housing.

Your other could teach English, or might be able to teach his subject in a University if his native language is English.

They seem to prefer natives of the UK, Canada and the US, and I think Australia and New Zealand. Others can tell you more and certainly correct me.

Thailand is very "jealous" of jobs and doesn't want jobs taken from Thais. I know a guy who got in trouble for playing a piano in a bar for free! I know a bar owner who got into trouble for cleaning tables in his own bar! I know of a guy who got into trouble for teaching English as a volunteer without a work permit, as desperate as they are for English teachers!

Working without a permit is a crime and while I haven't personally heard of it yet, it could result in Thai jail time, a huge fine and immediate deportation. I don't know of anyone who's gone to jail for the three years, but I do know of a couple of people who got fined about US $30,000 and immediately deported.

English is the world's language for commerce. If Thailand is going to rise above it current economic status, it needs English speakers so it's hard to understand why they don't open the gates but they don't.

You and your partner could both teach and your combined incomes would make you very prosperous. Remember, some Thais work for US100 - US$300 a month and they work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day often. You could literally cruise on two teachers' salaries.

NOW I'm not an expert and you need lots of opinions. Please cruise on down to the link I gave you and pig out on information. Ask questions. It's all there.

Good luck.

I welcome other ideas and flat-out corrections to what I said. Flame away. laugh.png

You need a work permit for anything and it's a lot of red tape. Many schools will get it for you but not all.

Edited by NeverSure

I take it his degree isn't in Engineering as it's a BA.

The degree is pretty much the most important thing anyway, but with no experience it's the only thing.

If it's an arts degree, Tefl is the only choice I can think of and really needs to hold a passport from a native English speaking country.

Is his degree in engineering or a related field, if so has he considered Oil & Gas?

They seem to make a very tidy packet. The O&G fraternity may come along presently to advice on how to get on that gig

Working in the O&G industry (outside your home country) is not that easy to get into.

You need the right sort of qualifications, experience on a few projects, etc.. I'd forget it with a BA degree.

Is his degree in engineering or a related field, if so has he considered Oil & Gas?

They seem to make a very tidy packet. The O&G fraternity may come along presently to advice on how to get on that gig

Working in the O&G industry (outside your home country) is not that easy to get into.

You need the right sort of qualifications, experience on a few projects, etc.. I'd forget it with a BA degree.

Out of interest, how does one plot a career in O&G if starting from scratch?

Thanks for all the responses guys!

He is a native English speaker and his degree is in music. I'm not sure how keen he is on teaching English, but perhaps he could teach music over there?

My father is in the Oil & Gas sector, but he is 50 years old and has been working in this field his whole life. He was offered a job in Thailand about 10 years ago and has been there ever since, hence my connection to the country. His only qualification is a HND in engineering, but he obtained his qualification before I was born and has a shed load of experience, and as a bonus did not have to pay any tutition fee's. We're all aware how times have changed for the worse and it's unlikely my partner will be as lucky.

I'm well aware of the fact you must be able to do something a Thai cannot in order to work there, and certainly don't expect him to get a job playing bass in one of the bars! We just want to lead good lives together, so looking into all work possibilities.

Thank you :)

If he can get a teaching qualification such as a Cert Ed then there might be the possibility of offering a state school both English language and music and that combo would give him an edge over the pure TEFL applicants. There are a few things to consider which is what is his English degree classification, can he read music properly and what instrument(s) would he be able to teach. Piano and/or violin are preferable. And could he face teaching musical theory.

The other thing is that all of the above are a better bet in Hong Kong and maybe Singapore. Get yourself established there. Jobs come first.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

He is a native English speaker and his degree is in music. I'm not sure how keen he is on teaching English, but perhaps he could teach music over there?

My father is in the Oil & Gas sector, but he is 50 years old and has been working in this field his whole life. He was offered a job in Thailand about 10 years ago and has been there ever since, hence my connection to the country. His only qualification is a HND in engineering, but he obtained his qualification before I was born and has a shed load of experience, and as a bonus did not have to pay any tutition fee's. We're all aware how times have changed for the worse and it's unlikely my partner will be as lucky.

I'm well aware of the fact you must be able to do something a Thai cannot in order to work there, and certainly don't expect him to get a job playing bass in one of the bars! We just want to lead good lives together, so looking into all work possibilities.

Thank you smile.png

Ahh, music. Why not explore:

- The bigger more professional international schools which have substantial music departments.

- Payap university in Chiang Mai which has a solid reputation for bachelor and masters programs in music, and they like farang teachers but please note that it's a christian based uni, and you probably need to be able to show you are a practicing christan and/or you can conduct bible study classes or similar.

Good luck.

I generally find people who have some sort of skill, have some passion about their field and are persistent will find something here. The focus is on the word 'persistent'. You may need to knock on 100 doors, send 100 e-mails and speak to everyone you can whilst maintaining a smile and positive attitude despite all the knockbacks.

The downside is that salaries here for some jobs may be woefully low. I could see your partner landing a job as a music teacher but working really hard to make 30,000 Baht a month. Such a situation would not be unusual.

• 3 weeks later...

This is all very inspiring guys :) Thank you

He's a bass player, so if the country needs bass players - we're okay!

I've just been accepted onto the CELTA so I will succeed in completing my goal and will be qualified by the end of the year!

I'm considering going over there alone even if my partner can't get work, but as I have only gone over with friends or my partner in the past for 3 weeks at a time, I've never really had to make friends, other than with the English speaking guy sitting next to me in the bar that's playing Metallica. If I moved over there, I wouldn't want to have to get drunk out of my mind and frequent the rock bars to make friends, so I'm wondering, how easy is it to do in a foreign country? I know there are a lot of expats over there, but from my personal experience they have all been men over 40 in the oil industry. Outgoing, friendly men and women aged 24 - 30 is probably more my scene. But where do you meet these people? The last thing I'd want is to go through all of this to end up lonely,

Success making expat friends within your age group, 24-30, depends on your destination. If you're in Bangkok, it won't be a problem. Anywhere else and you might be lonely. Thailand boy/girl cliques are difficult to join and if you do, you'll be the token foreigner. If you're beautiful, it may be less of a problem but be prepared to be the object of affection. As for the boyfriend thing, if you're not prepared to choose Thailand over him, stay where you are. If he's not keen on teaching English, unlike yourself, I don't recommend that he be a teacher to finance his stay.

I'm in your age group, have an MBA, developed several connections to upper-echelon Thais, had a job in Bangkok and I still had a tough time living in Thailand. I quit my job and it was so difficult to have a career, much less find a job, that I am back in the US, temporarily. I could have taught English but I didn't want to be the guy that negatively influences the education of a child because my heart wasn't in it.

My recommendation: Go solo. There are many temptations in Thailand for young guys like your boyfriend and myself. Unless he's just an ugly monster, be prepared to constantly fend off the younger, hotter Thai model-wannabe. I'm not saying he won't be faithful but... this is Thailand.

I keep up relationships with my friends in Bangkok. When you get there and find yourself needing friends, I can possibly introduce you via Facebook or other social media. Again, they're all in the same age group and they are a mix of working expats and Thais, girls and guys. Otherwise, just get out there and try EVERYWHERE to make friends. Obviously, you haven't traveled enough around the country by generalizing that most expats are oil workers over 40+. Some are 60+ sexpats smile.png

Chok Dee!

Shawn

Edited by Meisgq

semper is correct being one of those religeious people who tell locals they will not go to heaven unless they join the church is good money, they get a wage and a living expense and a hardship fund

usually you need to practise looking down your nose at people

I met many all over the world , tend to wear shirt and tie, like used car salesmen or double glazing

otherwise can join the rest of the por and earn 50 to 1500 per month for playing hangman all day

This is all very inspiring guys smile.png Thank you

I've just been accepted onto the CELTA so I will succeed in completing my goal and will be qualified by the end of the year!

I'm considering going over there alone even if my partner can't get work, but as I have only gone over with friends or my partner in the past for 3 weeks at a time, I've never really had to make friends, other than with the English speaking guy sitting next to me in the bar that's playing Metallica. If I moved over there, I wouldn't want to have to get drunk out of my mind and frequent the rock bars to make friends, so I'm wondering, how easy is it to do in a foreign country? I know there are a lot of expats over there, but from my personal experience they have all been men over 40 in the oil industry. Outgoing, friendly men and women aged 24 - 30 is probably more my scene. But where do you meet these people? The last thing I'd want is to go through all of this to end up lonely,

where have you been in Thailand where they are all oil industry, over 40 sex tourists yes, that is the major demographic of this forum, but oil industry?

friendly people of your age group easy to find

This is all very inspiring guys smile.png Thank you

where have you been in Thailand where they are all oil industry, over 40 sex tourists yes, that is the major demographic of this forum, but oil industry?

friendly people of your age group easy to find

There are quite large number of O&G guys who live in Pattaya, they work in other countries or even Thailand and take their time off in Pattaya and have familes and houses there, and some of them do congrgate in specifc bars in Pattaya and this maybe where the posters perception comes from as if you are in one of those bars, every second guy is an O&G guy and yes most would be over 40

op states not a pattaya person, but seriously do you really think all those pattaya people are really in the marines, seals, sas , oil and gas, quant??? I ;v efound similar types all over the world rio, tel aviv, cities on a beach the story is all the same, not forgetting the unforgettable intelligence can't tell you any more about my work cough cough cough mi5, cia.....

Out of interest, how does one plot a career in O&G if starting from scratch?

find the skills which are in demand, qualify in them and from there on in a whole lot of luck and contacts...the biggest barrier to getting in is getting your foot in the door, once in with 5-10 years solid experience pretty easy to get further jobs

Sorry for sounding vague, but your question is like asking how long is a piece of string ? there could be multiple answers depending on what you are thinking about

When you talk assume O&G you mean offshore ?....yes good career path if you can get in and you can handle it as a lot of people cant handle the life style/work shedules etc

op states not a pattaya person, but seriously do you really think all those pattaya people are really in the marines, seals, sas , oil and gas, quant??? I ;v efound similar types all over the world rio, tel aviv, cities on a beach the story is all the same, not forgetting the unforgettable intelligence can't tell you any more about my work cough cough cough mi5, cia.....

The are also similar situations, granted to a smaler scale in BKK as well, the Marines, Seals SAS thing I dont know and dont really care...but there are certainly quite large numbers of real O&G guys living and or working in Thailand...this is fact and maybe the poster came across some of these guys in Thailand in his travels and this has driven his perception.

Not every farang living/working in Thailand is an "English" teacher, there are farangs living here who have good well paying jobs and for the most part conduct their lives in Thailand as they would live their lives in their own countries

Edited by Soutpeel

You're not adding anything to this thread: just having a pop at older guys that live in Pattaya, how original sad.png .

Edited by londoedan
  • Like 1

You're not adding anything to this thread: just having a pop at older guys that live in Pattaya, how original sad.png .

I suppose we could have also added to his list people who profess to be be real "English" teachers as well....whistling.gif ....most certainly the case with people who call themselves "Ajarn"....laugh.png

• Like 1

Obviously, you haven't traveled enough around the country by generalizing that most expats are oil workers over 40+. Some are 60+ sexpats smile.png

Chok Dee!

Shawn

Hi Shaun, thanks for your advice. I would just like to point out however that I have spent a lot of time in Thailand and have been visiting regularly for the past 10 years. As my father is in the oil industry, I have been exposed to their way of life more than any other. And I know from first hand experience, a little more than I'd like to share on here, about Thai girls and white men.