Anyone Lose A Passport?

thefusilier

Hi,

I just realized that somewhere on my way home from my last visa run, probably in the cab, I lost my passport. I looked into the embassy (Canadian) website to find out what I had to do, but was wondering if anyone else ever had such a crappy thing happen to them and how it went, or any advice.

Edited by thefusilier

In August, I misplaced my American passport, and reported it to the American and Thai authorities. It resulted in my VISA being cancelled. Therefore, don't assume you're in Thailand legally. You probably can't prove you are. The Immigration Police may only give you a "Get Out of Thailand Free Card" and then you'll have to leave and get a real visa.

In August, I misplaced my American passport, and reported it to the American and Thai authorities. It resulted in my VISA being cancelled. Therefore, don't assume you're in Thailand legally. You probably can't prove you are. The Immigration Police may only give you a "Get Out of Thailand Free Card" and then you'll have to leave and get a real visa.

I know its not probably good enough but I do still have a photocopy of my passport with the visa... but yeah I know a photocopy dosn't mean anything really.

I had my passport stolen a few years ago....out of a guesthouse room. I immediately called the police who came and were very helpful. They of course could not get my passport back but I really didn't expect that...how could they?....an impossible task really....but....they did give me a ride to the police station and made me comfortable while I answered their questions and they wrote up the police report. They gave me my copy of the police report and told me I would have no problems staying in town a few days to finish my activities and then to travel home again back to the north. They said if I had a problem just show the photocopy of my passport and the police report and that would take care of it. Luckily I had a photocopy of my passport with me so it was no problem really. After returning home I went to the US embassy in Chiangmai and got a new passport. I kept the photocopy of my passport, the police report, and a copy of the application for a new passport all together and carried it with me whenever I felt I might need it until my new passport arrived. Being worried and the expense of a new passport were the only negative effects.

I kept the photocopy of my passport, the police report, and a copy of the application for a new passport all together and carried it with me whenever I felt I might need it until my new passport arrived. Being worried and the expense of a new passport were the only negative effects.

Any problems getting the visa stamp put back in the new passport?

Tywais,

Good question...I forgot about the visa stamp. Upon getting my new passport I went to immigration in Chiangmai with all my paperwork and spent a day getting that straightened out...seems like I had to go to two locations, one to get the authorization and one to get the actual stamp. They didn't give me my visa but they gave me an entry card and stamp giving me about 30 days.

In other words, chownah, if you had had a brand new one-year multiple entry visa, you got permission to leave the country in 30 days or less? So, whatever you had in your old passport, was worthless? That was my case, though they failed to tell me that, and I only recall one poster on this forum warning me that this might happen.

Many years ago I lost just about everything, passport, credit cards, & money after being drugged on a bus from Chiang Mai to Bangkok. I had an angel in this gorgeous young woman who worked the front desk at the American Express office which at that time was in an upper corner of Siam Square, then the premiere shopping mall in Bangkok. She was fluent in English, a rarity at that time. She worked late that evening waiting for confirmation to issue me a new card. She thought it humerous that I was quite happy with sleeping at a temple that evening.

It took me less than 48 hours, with more help from the taciturn yet helpful charge d'affairs at the US Embassy to issue me a new passport. I had known immediately to visit the nearest police station to the Mo Chit bus station and report the theft and so had the documents that the embassy wanted. It also helped mightily that I spoke some Thai, again a rarity back then. Even the embassy staff were a bit surprised to see a "backpacker" speaking Thai.

But the ability to speak Thai really came in helpful when I went to immigration. When I walked in there was some hapless bureacrat being confronted with a young, loud mouthed, Euro-trash Frenchman not wanting to hear that there were laws about visa entry into the Kingdom and that there were fines for over staying one's visa by several months. Somehow he did not believe that the Thai laws could be, or should be, applied to him. Perhaps he was just terrified of having to phone daddy for money. And then I show up, wai to same bureaucrat, and apologize for the rude behavior of my fellow Farang. The karatchaakaan then let everyone else wait while we talked about the rudeness he faced from such tourists on a daily basis and I left with a new visa stamped into my passport and a new friend at immigration in Bangkok.

Lesson here is carry a copy, or better copies, of passport, visa page, and entry card. Once your passport is stolen notify the nearest police station and file and report and obtain a copy of that report. Then, with police report in hand, visit your nearest consulate. Afetr you get a new passport go to Thai immigration with all the documents in hand and be polite as these folks have rules to follow.

I left my passport in a rental car in pattaya , never realised till I turned up at the airport. They would not let me on the plane. Luckily I rang up the car rental place and they had found it and handed it to the tourist police. I had to travel back to Pattaya and claim it from them. They were really good and had no problems. try calling the tourist police they may have you passport

It was really inconvenient havingto stay another night in Pattaya I was most put out haha

Edited by bigprop

Hi,

I just realized that somewhere on my way home from my last visa run, probably in the cab, I lost my passport. I looked into the embassy (Canadian) website to find out what I had to do, but was wondering if anyone else ever had such a crappy thing happen to them and how it went, or any advice.

4 times :D ...........but only twice in Thailand.

First time I was a 100% Newbie, but fortunately I was in Bangkok on a Tourist Visa and had not overstayed. And conveniantly (for the Brit Embassy) I was also on lower Sukhumvit.

This is what happened about 10 years ago.........so may or may not be still relevent?

I went to the British Embassy, the guard on the gate wanted to see some ID, but I explained that this is why I was visiting! (this was in my best pidgin English).

The Thai lady at the counter told me that I needed a Police Report and some passport photos - and gave me directions to a nearby (walking distance) police station (can't remember if it was tourist Police or regular plod). I made my report "Where did I lose the Passport?"..........."no idea.........I was out drinking......not sure where I was". Freindly enough - I was new enough to Thailand to at least look contrite about my story, even if I was not actually bothered.

They gave me a police report. I went to get some passport photos (4?).

Back to the Embassy, I filled out some forms and gave them the Photos, they gave me a piece of paper which they said was a temporary ID and I could use to cash my T/c's....no problem near the Embassy, but I found not much use elsewhere! They said come back in about a week, and the cost would be approx £20 (probably gone up now!). Emergency cash MIGHT be available as a LOAN, but was something like 20Baht a day. I didn't ask!

As I could cash T/c's I was not bothered about not having a "real" passport so went back a week to 10 days later. I then had to make a visit to immigration for a new visa. ( I was told at some point in this process that a copy of my passport including my Visa WOULD have been helpful...........although I cannot remember whether this was for the Thai Police, Embassy or immigration. Also the new Passport was ONLY for 5 years instead of the usual 10.........and it delaminated and the passport photo just fell out a couple of years later (too much rain?!).........10 years ago they DID not sell Prit Sticks or supeglue at BKK airport!!! Trust me :o:D:D:D

The 2nd time in Thailand it got stolen in Samuii (NOT a BG!!)...........I announced a reward at several beer bars (made it plain I did not care and did not want the aggro of reporting it stolen OR reporting the other cash I lost) ......and a couple of days later bought it back from 2 Thai "Policemen" :D who visited my bungalow and I paid them cash as a "thankyou" - about the same as the price of the replacement Passport....but a lot less than a trip to BKK. (They were the worst actors as Thai plod I have ever seen! - and I have met a couple.........and also actors - but that is all another story!). Just as well cos by then I had drunk my going to BKK money :D

September 2004, left my passport along with 15,000 baht in a taxi in a late night drunken haze...Moments after exiting the cab, realizing my stupidity, the cab sped away down the soi...no chance at catching up, getting it's plates, etc...Sure he was off to celebrate with a massage, his good fortune.

Anyway, the copies of the passport/visa made a difference. As stated by others, had to get the police report for the embassy, aplication for new, fees for passport and additional processing fee...something like 4 or 5 thousand baht, can't remember exactly. Then they produced a letter. And on to Suan Plu to get the visa back. Perhaps it made a difference that I was on a non-immigrant student visa...so they were able to restore it with a stamp and pen...No problems..never had to leave the country.

The worrying sucked and I had a lot of resentment at that time towards the US Embassy thinking their fees/policies were merely business transactions/extra income. Though, with hindsight, I can't blaim them for doing their job...no hard feelings now :D

The main regret I have is all the cool stamps I was building up in the old passport. Now my passport just has Thai renewal stamps....not enough character...and no opportunities in the near future to add more. And what was I thinking when I took the new pics! Got to live with that pic for another 8 years. What will I tell my kids? :o