Import A Car To Thailand

We imported two cars for work - both were seized by customs (one for over a year) who demanded 'duty' be paid - even though our organization has tax free/diplomatic status and a written agreement that says so from the Thai government!

If you really want to get it in, I suggest getting a Thai freight forwarding company to arrange the import for you. They'll still have to pay 'no value added tax' but the amount will be far more reasonable than trying to do it yourself, as they will have an established relationship with the bandits in the customs department.

Almost bought a nice 1989 500SEL, perfect condition. Quite cheap. But I didn't look good in the car :D

:D How come ? The former owner still laid in the trunk ? ... :D

If you really want to get it in, I suggest getting a Thai freight forwarding company to arrange the import for you. They'll still have to pay 'no value added tax' but the amount will be far more reasonable than trying to do it yourself, as they will have an established relationship with the bandits in the customs department.

:o Nice advise ! TNX !

You could actually buy a nice 500SEC 1989 or 1987 for less than 500k here

I found 3 or 4 late 1980s 500SEL here, all good conditions, but like I said, I don't look good in it :o

The 500SEC or even 380SEC is a little bit more challenging to find here. I found 2 but not so good condition, and too expensive.

Edited by Butterfly

The 500SEC or even 380SEC is a little bit more challenging to find here. I found 2 but not so good condition, and too expensive.

:o What's too expensive ? (amount/price) ... Butterfly

But a 1985 380/500SEC, is not realy an oldtimer; it's more like an old car, waiting to become an oldtimer. Like with antiques 'grandmothers time', it's old but mostly descarded as rubbish (and 20 years later it becomes an antique). I am afraid something like a 1967 250CE in top condition will be hard to find in Thailand. Otherwise I'm willing to buy it up front :D.

I realise that "TiT" (This is Thailand), but what possible reason could there be for blocking the import of vehicles of say 30 years old. They will not still be in production so they do not pose a threat to the locally manufactured vehicles. I can understand the authorities blocking the import of brand new or nearly new vehicles but to stop someone who is now living in Thailand from bringing an "antique" with them seems strange even for this country.

I seem to remember seeing a TV show featuring veteran and vintage cars being driven around Bangkok and (I think) on to Hua Hin, these vehicles must have been brought into the country somehow, and there were some very "exotic" motors amongst them.

There are many post war classics stored away and will probably never see the light of day. In thonglor I know of a person with a collection of 50 's and 60's XK's, just deteriorating. In the same area I know of some classic MG's unrestored and unloved. There is no shortage of classics here, just a shortage of people who love them.