Where To Buy Cheap Protein Powder In Bangkok

missionrat

The evidence is real weak.. i can find a lot of research contradicting it

http://www.uspharmac...ervice/c/15812/

here a article with mention of its sources.

and that's what we read:

If kidney problems already exist, increased intake of protein can cause further damage, and it is suggested that protein be taken in moderation and with the consent of a doctor. Whey protein does have high vitamin content, so too much whey protein can create some problems with vitamin toxicity.

Moreover:

Paul Elliott et al 2006 'suggest that high dietary protein intake may be detrimental to blood pressure.' Arch Intern Med. 2006;166(1):79-87. doi:10.1001/archinte.166.1.79

http://archinte.jama...rticleid=409499

Along the same line (non-peer reviewed), Joel Fuhrman, M.D. states:

Out of more than 600 Olympic athletes on the East German 1964 Olympic team, fewer than 10 are still alive today. Promoting muscular growth with supplements and steroids doesn’t seem too wise in that context. Excessive body mass, and even excessive muscular development, gained by gorging on high-protein animal products is a risk factor for heart attacks and other diseases later in life.

http://www.sound-die...fuhrman-md.html

Wow you found that in unhealthy individuals with prior kidney problems high proteins are not a good idea.. I never said otherwise, i was talking healthy individuals.

Then later your lumping proteins and steriods and doing sports at high level together while we are talking about protein.

You really don't want to admit your wrong and are gasping at straws.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, concrete evidence you choose to ignore:

Paul Elliott et al 2006 'suggest that high dietary protein intake may be detrimental to blood pressure.' Arch Intern Med. 2006;166(1):79-87. doi:10.1001/archinte.166.1.79

I just debunked all your stuff and now you come back with this. Your a joke just admit that you don't know what your talking about.

You never came back to your other arguments that i swept of the table.

I shown you good research and this is the best you can do coffee1.gif

I shown you good research and this is the best you can do coffee1.gif

Nowhere does it say in your article that eating proteins above the recommended daily intake is (or may be) safe. You have no leg to stand on. I have shown you strong evidence that it may not be safe. Go and figure it out. coffee1.gif

No one has every questioned that whey proteins are not safe; I have no doubt that there are health benefits. The entire argument here has been whether there is evidence that an increase intake of protein, above the RDA, is safe. It clearly looks like that it may not be safe. Stop projecting your wish fulfilment on to facts and show counter evidence if you have any. Thanks!

Wow, this is the best you could come up with? One single journal article stating that too much dietary protein MAY be bad for your blood pressure??? Tell me you are kidding.

A) this article does not state that whey protein is "poison"

B) this article does not distinguish between whey and soy protein so by definition does not even support your claim that whey is poison whatsoever. Nor does it support your dubious claim that soy protein is preferable in any way

C) this is a single article, which in and of itself does not conclusively prove anything. All scientific evidence by definition must be reproducible

D) the word "suggests" and "may" are far more nuanced and tenuous than your ludicrous declarative statement that whey will "poison me"

I would love to see how user Morakot looks like.. i inmagine someone who might be a bit overweight and does hardly any physical exercise.

Loves to put it down because it will excuse him from doing anything at all.

Just my imagination of course.

I would love to see how user Morakot looks like.. i inmagine someone who might be a bit overweight and does hardly any physical exercise.

Far from it! Although love the human curiosity element, afraid to disappoint you: Morakot is a computer algorithm proving scientific evidence.

Here two classic studies that show that an increased protein intake, for men and women, does result in hypercalcinuria i.e. the condition of elevated calcium in the urine. In the long run this for instance will deplete of adequate calcium levels. We know from Mazess and Mather's (1974) classic study that certain changes in calcium will lead to bone problems. We nowadays also know that hypercalcinuria will not effect the healthy individual's renal function, but can have detrimental effects if any renal problems occur. Here an increase in protein intake is a potential risk factor that can aggravate existing or arising health issues.

I'd be delighted to see some opposing or supporting papers and like to use to the opportunity to thank you and the others for participating in the discussion and helping to clarify the points.

J. Nutr.-1981-Hegsted-244-51.pdf

J. Nutr.-1981-Zemel-545-52.pdf

Am J Clin Nutr-1974-Mazess-916-25.pdf

Far from it! Although love the human curiosity element, afraid to disappoint you: Morakot is a computer algorithm proving scientific evidence.

Here two classic studies that show that an increased protein intake, for men and women, does result in hypercalcinuria i.e. the condition of elevated calcium in the urine. In the long run this for instance will deplete of adequate calcium levels. We know from Mazess and Mather's (1974) classic study that certain changes in calcium will lead to bone problems. We nowadays also know that hypercalcinuria will not effect the healthy individual's renal function, but can have detrimental effects if any renal problems occur. Here an increase in protein intake is a potential risk factor that can aggravate existing or arising health issues.

I'd be delighted to see some opposing or supporting papers and like to use to the opportunity to thank you and the others for participating in the discussion and helping to clarify the points.

What they are saying here is that its ok as long as your healthy. That is what i claim too. These claims are vague and of real old studies. When i have time ill get some recent studies. But what is too much (below showing differences between even government organizations)

http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2002/Dietary-Reference-Intakes-for-Energy-Carbohydrate-Fiber-Fat-Fatty-Acids-Cholesterol-Protein-and-Amino-Acids.aspx

Here they talk about .8 grams per kg or 10-35% percent from the daily calories that means at 2000 cals x 35% 700 calories ad 4 calories for protein is 175 grams of protein. Average individual is 80-90 kg. That is well over 1.5g per kg. That is in one article from a respected organisation

The institute of medicine.

Now the FDA talks about 45grams for a normal adult that is way under the recommendations of the Institute of medicine.

So even between government organizations they use different value's

So how much is too much, hard to know what anyone even means with too much.

Are you sticking to the FDA or what ?

No it won't kill you, but you may slowly poison yourself.

Have a look here for more information.

http://exercise.abou...n/a/protein.htm

I love those people who get all their wisdom from the internet.

So what will it be today?Give me your requests.

You wanna proof that Whey protein is bad, and I will provide you with 10 links that confirm your opinion but, I also can provide you with 10 not less credible links which will proof the opposite.

Same goes for Soy protein or egg proteins.

Take what you feel is the right thing for yourself, but make sure you ingest clean stuff.

@morakot

Also even if it does reduce your calcium retention that is easily remedied by taking extra calcium (if needed at all because usually people who take loads of protein get calcium from milk and yogurt too). So nothing life threatening or bad, you can't really find anything bad so you come up with this.

Below they sugest that what you say is true and that 500mg of calcium is enough at low doses of protein. And that if you triple the protein you loose lots of calcium.

Now take the following information, there is 300mg calcium in a cup of milk and 240mg in an ozz ozz chedar and 350mg in 6 oz of yogurt. Many people drink 2 cups of milk then there are other food sources that give calcium. So its so easy to go over your 500mg and then the calcium loss from protein is not even dangerous. So its nothing at all. I even get 250mg calcium from the vitamins i take.

So all in all the worst you could find does not do anything at all for normal persons.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7250387

Thanks Robblok! That's nice; I see you must be a level-headed person. You are factoring all this in and of course it makes my initial unqualified off-the-cuff remark meaningless (ie increased level of protein intake may be poisoning). Indeed, if you are continuously monitoring adequate renal function and blood pressure, and be aware of possibly depleted calcium levels than it's very like that an increased intake is very safe.

A sideline point, if you find this interesting, I've heard some time ago issues with regard to autoimmune disease (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis or psoriasis) and increased protein intake. I have not seen any peer-reviewed studies, or systematic literature reviews that can support such a link, but I have seen a detailed review by a general practitioner who argues that especially an intake of animal based protein can lead to immune dysfunction (eg undigested peptides triggering human antibodies). But that's more speculation currently, as this has not been rigorously investigated.

Thanks Robblok! That's nice; I see you must be a level-headed person. You are factoring all this in and of course it makes my initial unqualified off-the-cuff remark meaningless (ie increased level of protein intake may be poisoning). Indeed, if you are continuously monitoring adequate renal function and blood pressure, and be aware of possibly depleted calcium levels than it's very like that an increased intake is very safe.

A sideline point, if you find this interesting, I've heard some time ago issues with regard to autoimmune disease (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis or psoriasis) and increased protein intake. I have not seen any peer-reviewed studies, or systematic literature reviews that can support such a link, but I have seen a detailed review by a general practitioner who argues that especially an intake of animal based protein can lead to immune dysfunction (eg undigested peptides triggering human antibodies). But that's more speculation currently, as this has not been rigorously investigated.

I just check how high the risks are, and to be honest to me they are not high. If you just read some of the side effects of medicine we take or just look at how dangerous alcohol is, not to mention smoking.

But yes i monitor my blood just to make sure i am healthy. I believe everyone should make their own choices. Some things just get a bad rep for nothing while others much more dangerous are accepted.

I have done risky things in the past but as long as i think its worth the risk ill do it. But protein was never high on my risk list. My protein intake is somewhere between 1 and 2 grams per kg of bodyweight. Depending on the day, i make sure i get plenty of healthy fats and fish oil. Take some good vitamins (though research is now saying that multivitamins dont help)

You are factoring all this in and of course it makes my initial unqualified off-the-cuff remark meaningless (ie increased level of protein intake may be poisoning). Indeed, if you are continuously monitoring adequate renal function and blood pressure, and be aware of possibly depleted calcium levels than it's very like that an increased intake is very safe.

I'm glad you are finally acknowledging that your initial remark poorly thought out and unsubstantiated. If you had simply said in the beginning "too much protein is taxing on your kidneys" I would not have protested as that is very widely known and well established knowledge.

What this has to do with your recommendation of soy vs whey protein, I have no idea. It seems that you continue to obfuscate, backtrack, and shift the discussion and then try to come up with evidence post-hoc to support a position that is substantially different than your original statement that whey will poison me and therefore I should consume soy protein. These are all hallmarks of someone with not a leg to stand on.

I'm glad you are finally acknowledging that your initial remark poorly thought out and unsubstantiated. If you had simply said in the beginning "too much protein is taxing on your kidneys" I would not have protested as that is very widely known and well established knowledge.

I am not sure what is unsubstantiated here. All I said is that an increased level of protein intake may be poisoning That's exactly what may happen to you, as evidence clearly shows (see above).

Regarding tofu or soy: I was labouring under the impression that with those common foods the likelihood of an increase in the total protein intake above the RDA is negligible, in contrast to buying a bucket of protein powder. How wrong I must have been, judging from the intelligence of some of the interlocutors in this thread.

Well I've only been weight lifting my entire life.

Wow, did your mum add protein powder to your milk formula? biggrin.png

and what has your mom added to your milk? I checked some other posts of you too. is there EVER something you have to say to an asked question??

Yeah. Morakot, stop trolling and bugging robblok, one of the intelligent posters here, though he does believe in calories in/calories out.

Yeah. Morakot, stop trolling and bugging robblok, one of the intelligent posters here, though he does believe in calories in/calories out.

What is wrong with calories in vs calories out if you don't have sugar or an excess of sugar in your diet ? I'm pretty sure it still counts. I can get you quite fat on eating nuts alone.

(off topic to others)

@jsixpack,

I think our beliefs are not that far apart, i seen your documentaries and believe sugar is not good. I also know that taking too much carbs at a time can make you insulin resistant. I also know leptin controls metabolic rate and such.

So its not just simple calories in calories out, but with a good food program its still about how much you eat and how much you burn. So good calories in and out.

Just did a 10k row, for fat burning and normal cardiovascular health.

What is wrong with calories in vs calories out if you don't have sugar or an excess of sugar in your diet ? I'm pretty sure it still counts. I can get you quite fat on eating nuts alone.

Of course you can, my friend. Check the carb count and GI index of nuts relative to, say, spinach or, uh, bacon. smile.png That's why you can't get me fat eating spinach and bacon alone. It's not the calorie: it's whether that kind of calorie raises your insulin level. Eat as much fat as you want (high calorie) but only 20 grams of carb or less a day and you won't gain weight--you'll surely lose until you reach close to your ideal weight. (How fast depends on your metabolism and insulin resistance.) And without exercise--though exercise is great and I myself have been continuously physically fit for the last 36 years. (I'm not into bodybuilding.)

Macadamia nuts, now, have such a high fat content that they're useful for a weight loss Fat Fast for a few days. Problem is, if you eat enough carbs to raise your insulin levels, then the insulin will drive any and all extra calories into your fat cells, where they're just gonna stay until the insulin levels drop--which depends on diet, not exercise. If you're addicted to carbs, though, then when the insulin level drops, you feel hungry for more carbs. It's a vicious cycle--and explains the epidemic of obesity quite well.

Sugar (in its various forms) is the worst of the carbs as you know. But take a look at the carb count and GI index of supposedly good, safe whole grains such as brown rice, whole wheat, and the beloved oatmeal. You may be surprised. I loved eating oatmeal w/ raisins for breakfast for many years--until I realized what's going on. Just changing over to higher calorie bacon, eggs, and kale/spinach, and cutting out fruit, lost me a few kilos in a month w/ no other changes. Oh--well, I did change from beer to wine & whiskey too. (I'm not going to give up alcohol! smile.png)

Of course you can, my friend. Check the carb count and GI index of nuts relative to, say, spinach or, uh, bacon. smile.png That's why you can't get me fat eating spinach and bacon alone. It's not the calorie: it's whether that kind of calorie raises your insulin level. Eat as much fat as you want (high calorie) but only 20 grams of carb or less a day and you won't gain weight--you'll surely lose until you reach close to your ideal weight. (How fast depends on your metabolism and insulin resistance.) And without exercise--though exercise is great and I myself have been continuously physically fit for the last 36 years. (I'm not into bodybuilding.)

Macadamia nuts, now, have such a high fat content that they're useful for a weight loss Fat Fast for a few days. Problem is, if you eat enough carbs to raise your insulin levels, then the insulin will drive any and all extra calories into your fat cells, where they're just gonna stay until the insulin levels drop--which depends on diet, not exercise. If you're addicted to carbs, though, then when the insulin level drops, you feel hungry for more carbs. It's a vicious cycle--and explains the epidemic of obesity quite well.

Sugar (in its various forms) is the worst of the carbs as you know. But take a look at the carb count and GI index of supposedly good, safe whole grains such as brown rice, whole wheat, and the beloved oatmeal. You may be surprised. I loved eating oatmeal w/ raisins for breakfast for many years--until I realized what's going on. Just changing over to higher calorie bacon, eggs, and kale/spinach, and cutting out fruit, lost me a few kilos in a month w/ no other changes. Oh--well, I did change from beer to wine & whiskey too. (I'm not going to give up alcohol! smile.png)

Part of this i agree with and actually i try to go low carb most of the time. Your remark about insulin also hits the base.

I did check my bloodsugar with a machine after eating oatmeal (and as a result cut down on it). I actually made big improvements on my bloodsuger because i cut out more and more carbs. So i do know the risks of them.

I try to only eat them in the morning, the rest i try to eat proteins and fats. But at times i do get some carbs because they are hard to avoid. They are even in milk / yogurt ect.

There are lots of reports that an Atkins type diet can also give you health problems. IMO a balanced diet is the way to go, with perhaps a bit of tweaking if you exercise a lot.

The mass-balance approach to weight-loss is going to work every time - you can't beat stoichiometry.

I also don't think that carb addiction is to blame for the levels of obesity in the developed world - its far more complicated than that. I'm in China at the moment and I would guess that the local popultion get perhaps 50-60% of their daily energy requirements from carbohydrates, and guess how many overweight people I've seen since I arrived ? In fact of you pulled 100 people of the street, I reckon you'd struggle to find one that had a BMI outside the range 20-22.

Censoring meaningful discussion? What's wrong with a calories in/calories out frame?

I don't mean to hi-jet this thread as we are all talking about Whey protien, OP please don't mind.

My question is can I take Whey protien during my workout days ONLY before and after my workout ? (workout 3 times a week)

What will happen (any effect to muscle) if i stop taking Whey protien after i started for 1-3 months ?

Please help to answer.

Thks

I don't mean to hi-jet this thread as we are all talking about Whey protien, OP please don't mind.

My question is can I take Whey protien during my workout days ONLY before and after my workout ? (workout 3 times a week)

What will happen (any effect to muscle) if i stop taking Whey protien after i started for 1-3 months ?

Please help to answer.

Thks

If you stop taking whey protein nothing will happen with your muscle as long as you keep training. You can take whey whenever you want but when you take it is widely debated i am of the opinion it does not matter much at all.

Censoring meaningful discussion? What's wrong with a calories in/calories out frame?

He was having a playful go at me.. and he does not believe in the calories in out frame.. or at least not as it being the only thing. I too have some question marks with just proteins in and out as certain hormones influence the metabolic rate.

I don't pretend to know it all.. i just test things see how my body responds. I believe there are so many theories and ways of thinking and they all have good points ect.

Archived