Don Mueang Airport Relaunches For Low Cost Airlines

webfact

Don Mueang Airport relaunches for low cost airlines

image_201210010942411A343977-CCFA-BD88-420660724A334E5F.jpgimage_201210010942451A344AD4-CC41-41AA-815F3115524FB7B9.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 1 -- Don Mueang Airport fully relaunched its services for low cost airlines Monday, after operation had ceased in 2006 following the opening of the new Suvarnabhumi Airport and the single airport policy.

Passengers began queueing for check-in at AirAsia airlines at 4am for the first flight to Bali, Indonesia at 6.15am.

Thai AirAsia, the biggest low-cost airline in Thailand, moved its equipment to Don Mueang overnight Sunday, at midnight, after its last flight took off from Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Relocation of empty aircraft from Suvarnabhumi to Don Mueang was completed at 3am yesterday.

Airports of Thailand (AoT) president Anirut Thanomkulabutra said earlier that facilities at Don Mueang Airport including duty free shops and restaurants are also fully operational today.

In addition to Thai AirAsia, Don Mueang Airport serves Nok Air, Orient Thai and chartered flights, he said, adding that Don Mueang will become another connecting hub for the region.

Don Mueang will take at least 12 million passengers per year.

On March 16 the government ordered all low-cost, charter and non-connecting flights to relocate to Don Mueang Airport to ease congestion at Suvarnabhumi Airport, ending the single-airport policy. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-10-01

Feature

Don Mueang revamp lifts off, fully operational

image_201210011101041A7BFBBC-B103-1FCF-7794113B176C9687.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The relocation of Thai AirAsia, Thailand’s biggest budget airline, from Suvarnabhumi to Don Mueang airport on Oct 1 marks a new chapter in the revival of the almost century-old airport that ‘went to sleep’ for a while. But no more.

Turning 98 years old this year, Don Mueang airport in northern Bangkok is Thailand’s oldest commercial aviation hub. It served commercial flights without interruption until 2006 when the then government announced a single-airport policy and launched Suvarnabhumi international airport.

The new airport in eastern Bangkok was aimed at coping with skyrocketing demand for commercial flights and passengers which was beyond Don Mueang’s capability. Don Mueang airport ceased its service at its peak of 37 million passengers a year.

The single-airport policy was challenged in 2008 when the subsequent government decided to reincarnate Don Mueang for low-cost airlines, chartered flights and private jets. Since then Don Mueang has catered to 115 low-cost flights or about 13,000 passengers daily, far below its capability.

Nok Air, a budget airline of Thai Airways International, has operated out of Don Mueang since its launch in 2004. Last year’s massive floods which wreaked havoc on Don Mueang compelled Nok Air to temporarily move to Suvarnabhumi, but it returned to Don Mueng in March this year.

The Airport of Thailand (AoT) reiterated the necessity to fully utilise Don Mueang to increase its revenue and avoid depreciating assets. The public company has allocated budget to renovate Don Mueang’s Terminal 2 next year to enable the airport to serve 25 million passengers annually in the future.

“We have to fully utilise the two international airports which are our valuable assets. We need some time to evaluate [pros and cons of] the relocation," Anirut Thanomkulbutr, AoT president, said.

Meanwhile, an executive of Thai AirAsia viewed the relocation to Don Mueang for domestic and regional flights will contribute to the airline’s rapid growth from the present 6.5 million passengers a year to over 13 million passengers next year.

To enhance transport service between Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang, the government and the transport ministry have promised to extend the existing airport link by 21.8 km further from Phyathai station to Don Mueang airport, passing Chitrlada and Bangsue stations.

The airport link currently connects Suvarnabhumi airport and Phyathai. If it materialises, construction of the extended route will take 4-5 years.

Now that Don Mueang is fully operational, the Airports of Thailand and commercial flights have reassured their readiness to serve passengers. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-10-01

To enhance transport service between Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang, the government and the transport ministry have promised to extend the existing airport link by 21.8 km further from Phyathai station to Don Mueang airport, passing Chitrlada and Bangsue station

What is the best way to get to Don Mueang now? I travel frequently between udon Thani and Bangkok. I am located near Sukhumvit 26

Thank you

Well I just come into DM this morning and I must say the only difference they have moved the [problem of very slow imigration and hjaving to get on a bus to get off the flight, The ques at immigration was very long and even they had a trainee on my que which took twice as long.

What is the best way to get to Don Mueang now? I travel frequently between udon Thani and Bangkok. I am located near Sukhumvit 26

Thank you

Take the Din Deang tollway to the Don Mueng tollway (upper-deck tollway). Same as before.

I'm glad Don Mueang is being put to use and ease congestion at BKK. I fly Thai Airways most of the time as well as Singapore, Cathay Pacific and Philippines Airlines. The use of the bus after a flight is a bit tacky and the 'low-cost' carrier Air Asia really adds unnecessary congestion.

Edited by 3SoiDogNight

"To enhance transport service between Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang, the government and the transport ministry have promised to extend the existing airport link...4-5 years" a hiatus period of nothing?

I think for a temporary fix, the government and transport ministry should provide direct express shuttle bus services (at a cost) between the two airports to better accommodate the travelers.

• Like 1

"To enhance transport service between Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang, the government and the transport ministry have promised to extend the existing airport link...4-5 years" a hiatus period of nothing?

I think for a temporary fix, the government and transport ministry should provide direct express shuttle bus services (at a cost) between the two airports to better accommodate the travelers.

What an amazingly original idea!!! I can't believe no one ever thought to do that......err, what a minute.....

Had you bothered to do a search you would have noted that the AOT announced exactly that back in June. You could have actually perused the thread in this forum,http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/583608-shuttle-service-don-mueang-suvarnabhumi-airports-starts-oct-1/ But hey, don't let a little easy research get in the way of laziness. :)

I am leaving aside the fact that public buses and vans have been operating between both airports for the last 6 years!

What an amazingly original idea!!! I can't believe no one ever thought to do that......err, what a minute.....

Had you bothered to do a search you would have noted that the AOT announced exactly that back in June. You could have actually perused the thread in this forum,http://www.thaivisa....s-starts-oct-1/ But hey, don't let a little easy research get in the way of laziness. smile.png

I am leaving aside the fact that public buses and vans have been operating between both airports for the last 6 years!

OOOHH ! GET YOU LUV ! biggrin.png

Still no idea how they are going to try to meet connecting flights as there is no short way to get people back to Swampy.

Good question. Do all flights arrive and depart in Terminal 2, anybody know? If they are all in the same terminal, then it would be a very easy walk to your connecting flight.

I'm anxious to hear some more trip reports. Have they remodeled the interior at all?

I'm excited to pass immigration, see the big welcome sign and ride down the escalator as in years past. :)

Still no idea how they are going to try to meet connecting flights as there is no short way to get people back to Swampy.

Good question. Do all flights arrive and depart in Terminal 2, anybody know? If they are all in the same terminal, then it would be a very easy walk to your connecting flight.

I'm anxious to hear some more trip reports. Have they remodeled the interior at all?

I'm excited to pass immigration, see the big welcome sign and ride down the escalator as in years past. smile.png

All international flights in Trminal 1, all domestic flights in domestic terminal (but they might have transformed terminal 2 into the domestic terminal).

http://www.airportthai.co.th/ewtadmin85_AOT/ewt/donmueang/ewt_news.php?nid=12&filename=sitemap___EN

What happened to single-airport policy? Wasn't that a key factor in building the corrupted Suvarnabhumi airport which took decades to complete. They should instead expand the airport and build another terminal building for low cost carriers. Just like in Malaysia and Singapore. These low cost carrier terminals are using same runways, within a near traffic free distance and could be built up within a year. The flood prone donmueng airport should be closed forever. Now it creates only more corruption opportunities and such a hassle to move between airports!

Had you bothered to do a search you would have noted that the AOT announced exactly that back in June. You could have actually perused the thread in this forum,http://www.thaivisa....s-starts-oct-1/ But hey, don't let a little easy research get in the way of laziness. smile.png

There have already been numourous postings on a few Bangkok travel forums already(thaivisa included)Transit times using the public bus 555 have even reported 2 hour journeys and jumping from a train to a bus at Mo Chit make all of this seem like a military exercise rather than a straight forward trip.The only indept report giving 100% accurate advice so far is the tripadvisor report by GOPBI entitled

"Overview of the new Air Asia/AOT Inter Airport Shuttle"(dated 26th September)This may I add is no ones fault as until enough people use the two facilities there will be varying information based on early experiences pre Air Asia...Jed.

• Like 1

Failed!

Arrived at DM today around 3PM. It seemed like foreigners weren't welcome here in Thailand.

8 counters were opened.

2 Counters for Thai Passport Holders

2 Counters for ASEAN

1 Counter for Diplomats

1 counter for Air Crew

1 Counter for Priority

1 Counter for Premium

All counters for "Foreign Passport Holders" were closed.

I arrived on an airplane from Colombo, Sri Lanka, and as Sri Lanka isn't a member of ASEAN,

many of the Sri Lankan visitors were also totally confused.

Thai Immigration failed once again.

50 minutes to enter Thailand - that's nice!

Get the correct headings on each counter, and may I suggest a counter for RE-ENTRY!

We were three passengers right after each other, and you should think that after two passports with

exact same "problem" it should be faster, but no, not at all.

Just try to do better, please.

(IN to Sri Lanka, took less than 3 minutes, OUT of Sri Lanka took less than 1 minute)

There have already been numourous postings on a few Bangkok travel forums already(thaivisa included)Transit times using the public bus 555 have even reported 2 hour journeys and jumping from a train to a bus at Mo Chit make all of this seem like a military exercise rather than a straight forward trip.The only indept report giving 100% accurate advice so far is the tripadvisor report by GOPBI entitled

"Overview of the new Air Asia/AOT Inter Airport Shuttle"(dated 26th September)This may I add is no ones fault as until enough people use the two facilities there will be varying information based on early experiences pre Air Asia...Jed.

Jed...Thanks very much for this reference to the TripAdvisor forum...it gives some great detailied information!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293915-i3686-k5788604-FYI_Overview_of_the_new_AirAsia_AoT_inter_airport_shuttle-Thailand.html

Great information in that link above thanks...

Sorry if I have missed it (I have looked) - but I couldn't see what the price was for this airport shuttle bus. I see it was paid for by Air Asia, and it is for Air Asia pax - but does it cost anything?

I am flying to Yangon in a few days with Air Asia, and rather than taking a cab to DMK, its easier for me to take the SARL to Suvanabhumi and use the shuttle.

EDIT - Just found the answer in one of the photos on the flickr stream accompanying the tripadvisor report

Free...

8023891075_b9e7429441.jpg

Edited by SeaVisionBurma

NO...not according to the post from GOP

Sorry if I have missed it (I have looked) - but I couldn't see what the price was for this airport shuttle bus. I see it was paid for by Air Asia, and it is for Air Asia pax - but does it cost anything?

I am flying to Yangon in a few days with Air Asia, and rather than taking a cab to DMK, its easier for me to take the SARL to Suvanabhumi and use the shuttle.

EDIT - Just found the answer in one of the photos on the flickr stream accompanying the tripadvisor report

Free...

Free...

yYes it's free and I think everyone is now glad to have some concrete information on this...but as per usual it had to come from a farang who took it on himself to actually experience the shuttle and then write such a comprehensive post on it..Don't know about you but it was like banging your head against a brick wall to really get a 'proper' answer from anyone on this..The Don Mueang web site doesn't have anything like this information on it..The guy has certainly cleared a heap of misunderstandings with this article...Jed.

I flew out of and into DM over the last few days for a Visa run and compared to Swampy it was a joy! I prefer a small airport anyway, but everything about the experience for me was preferable. Much quicker and cheaper to get to from my location on Suk, maximum 3 people queuing at each booth at immigration - I waited 5 minutes. No long walks round the airport to the gates, no buses to the planes (an actual skybridge!) the flight took off dead on time. On the way back in immigration again was great - clearly some of them are trainees as a slow, but there are no queues so I waited 5 minutes. I had no luggage but people off my flight had collected theirs by the time I had used the toilets through customs. The taxi queue was crazy and needs improving, but still only a 15 minute wait. All in all I look forward to future Air Asia flights from DM, that just makes visa runs even easier for me in the future.

• Like 1

re the video clip

There is a distinct lack of chairs in the main departure concourses....... a friend told me that there was a queue of people waiting to use one of 4 beanbags which are there while they wait for several hundred chairs to be delivered...

Edited by SeaVisionBurma

The AOT provided express shuttle trip report is excellent and a good find as it has been helpful to many and answered a few queries. Also, someone has posted on their experience on http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/583608-shuttle-service-don-mueang-suvarnabhumi-airports-starts-oct-1/#entry5737393

However, I didn't understand the majority of your post about the BMTA 555 bus or the train, MO Chit ref. which was irrelevant as we were only specifically discussing the AOT express shuttle bus.

I flew out of and into DM over the last few days for a Visa run and compared to Swampy it was a joy! I prefer a small airport anyway, but everything about the experience for me was preferable. Much quicker and cheaper to get to from my location on Suk, maximum 3 people queuing at each booth at immigration - I waited 5 minutes. No long walks round the airport to the gates, no buses to the planes (an actual skybridge!) the flight took off dead on time. On the way back in immigration again was great - clearly some of them are trainees as a slow, but there are no queues so I waited 5 minutes. I had no luggage but people off my flight had collected theirs by the time I had used the toilets through customs. The taxi queue was crazy and needs improving, but still only a 15 minute wait. All in all I look forward to future Air Asia flights from DM, that just makes visa runs even easier for me in the future.

Nice report. This is what a number of us were expressing in response to the many previous posts in the last months decrying the move to DMK. There are a number of time and comfort advantages of using DMK for LCC pax, teething issues aside.

I'd suggest your experience will be the overwhelming majority of most peoples as opposed to the pessimists who said people would go to the wrong airport (reportedly only 5 on the first day), get lost travelling there or find it all too difficult. For many in BKK, DMK is actually closer than swampy.