Is It Possible To Get An O Visa While Living In Thailand

I think he only got a single entry in Vientiane because the consulate understood that was all that he needed. Also Vientiane does not normally issue multiple entry visas.

Edited by ubonjoe

I think he only got a single entry in Vientiane because the consulate understood that was all that he needed. Also Vientiane does not normally issue multiple entry visas.

He does say a 1 year Non Immigrant in post 26. maybe he should check it just to double check

Edited by beano2274

I did this same thing at Vientienne last week.

I have worked in Thailand for 6+ years and had Non-Immigrant Visa and Work Permit. But that ended recently. So, I went to Immigration at Change Wattana and they told me that I had to provide all documentation plus the cash in a bank account, and the wife all within a week or I would be overstayed. I have the cash but it has not been sitting in my account for 60 + days.

So, the Chang Wattana Immigration official suggested I go out of the country and get a tourist visa, and then return to Immigration when everything was in order. I agreed... and went to Laos.

The kind Immigration official (female) at Vientienne took one look at my request for a double entry 60 day tourist visa and then through my Passport and saw a number of visas that clearly showed I was not a tourist and stated the obvious: " Why are you applying for a Tourist Visa when you are not a Tourist?" I explained the reasoning. She said I should just apply for the Non-Immigrant O visa (based on marriage to a Thai national). So I called the wife in BKK and she arranged all the documents and emailed them to me, I printed them, and submitted the passport the following day. I was given a Non-Immigrant O visa.

Why Bangkok Immigration did not suggest this to me, I will never know. Anyway, it worked out fine.

Yep - you just never know - another day, even the same office, and print-outs from emails would be 'unacceptable' - the gods were with you !

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

This not true : "Vientiane does not normally issue multiple entry visas" ??? I'm sure i've had them from there...but my memory is getting fuzzy...

Actually you could have easily obtained a 60 day extension of stay from immigration to allow time for money to be in account two months for 1,900 baht normal fee and marriage proof (with wife).

That is only if I had the cash in the bank for 60 days on the day I walked into Immigration (and I did not) plus a letter from the bank, all the documents, and the wife. The deal breaker for me was the cash.

He does say a 1 year Non Immigrant in post 26. maybe he should check it just to double check

sorry. To clarify: Non Immigrant 90 day visa type O.

I forgot the distinction that all non-immigrant visas are 90 day visas, and that one is given "extensions" based on xyz that enable one to stay for a longer duration.

It will be easy to show all the documents plus cash position in early January, and hopefully be given the extension of stay permission.

Actually you could have easily obtained a 60 day extension of stay from immigration to allow time for money to be in account two months for 1,900 baht normal fee and marriage proof (with wife).

That is only if I had the cash in the bank for 60 days on the day I walked into Immigration (and I did not) plus a letter from the bank, all the documents, and the wife. The deal breaker for me was the cash.

Money in bank for 2 months not required for 60 day extension to visit wife, in fact I do not believe you have to show any specific monies, money in bank for 2 months of course needed for the 1 year extension.

I guess that's why Lopburi3 suggested it so that money could 'season'.

Edit for clarification..You cannot have consecutive 60 day extensions to visit wife.

Edited by ThaidDown

Money in bank for 2 months not required for 60 day extension to visit wife, in fact I do not believe you have to show any specific monies, money in bank for 2 months of course needed for the 1 year extension.

As said there is no financial requirement for a 60 day extension of stay to visit wife or child. You are thinking of obtaining a 90 day non immigrant visa entry for later extension of stay that would require financials be shown.

Edit for clarification..You cannot have consecutive 60 day extensions to visit wife.

So thats a good reason to go to Savannakhet to get your Visa you don't have to worry about Monies

I went through VISA service in Bangkok and first get 90 day Visa then they apply for O visa. Then you just check in every 90 days. They had a way around the requirement to leave the country and go to consulate like Vientiane. Vientiane is not so easy as just drive over.

I did this same thing at Vientienne last week.

I have worked in Thailand for 6+ years and had Non-Immigrant Visa and Work Permit. But that ended recently. So, I went to Immigration at Change Wattana and they told me that I had to provide all documentation plus the cash in a bank account, and the wife all within a week or I would be overstayed. I have the cash but it has not been sitting in my account for 60 + days.

So, the Chang Wattana Immigration official suggested I go out of the country and get a tourist visa, and then return to Immigration when everything was in order. I agreed... and went to Laos.

The kind Immigration official (female) at Vientienne took one look at my request for a double entry 60 day tourist visa and then through my Passport and saw a number of visas that clearly showed I was not a tourist and stated the obvious: " Why are you applying for a Tourist Visa when you are not a Tourist?" I explained the reasoning. She said I should just apply for the Non-Immigrant O visa (based on marriage to a Thai national). So I called the wife in BKK and she arranged all the documents and emailed them to me, I printed them, and submitted the passport the following day. I was given a Non-Immigrant O visa.

Why Bangkok Immigration did not suggest this to me, I will never know. Anyway, it worked out fine.

Yep - you just never know - another day, even the same office, and print-outs from emails would be 'unacceptable' - the gods were with you !

Difference I noted in Laos embassy is out of country and your are supposed to apply for O Visa before you come into Thailand. They are very nice up there in my experience. But like I said in Bangkok there is a VISA service will get it all together for you...they have someone they can give a little tea money to for the "out of country" requirement.

There is no tea money required. If you qualify for retirement or marriage extension of stay and have 15 days or more remaining on a visa exempt or tourist visa entry you fill out a simple form/show financial proof and pay 2,000 baht for a 90 day non immigrant O visa entry stamp. No tea or service needed.

A retirement (long stay - OA) visa would not be available anywhere except where you live and always requires proof of financials. If you mean a single entry non immigrant O visa for being over age 50 that normally would not require show of financials directly but they could ask for some such proof to support your intention to extend your stay. Expect this may be more common now that such a non immigrant O visa is not required prior to entry (can be obtained inside Thailand).

There is no 'tea money' requirement for conversion to non immigrant visa inside Thailand. You pay a set 2,000 baht and prove financials for retirement extension of stay (no time in account requirement). No visa service is required.

• 1 month later...

You can use an O visa entry or extension of stay to get a work permit if it is based upon being married to a Thai.

In order to get an a conversion of a visa exempt entry or tourist visa entry to non immigrant O visa you would have to qualify for the extension based upon marriage or retirement and you would also have meet the financial requirements.

Edited by ubonjoe

• 1 month later...

If you forget, you will be on overstay and can be arrested for that en than can be deported back to your own country on your own expenses. If you go to the border yourself with an overstay you pay a fine of 500 baht per day you are on overstay and are good to leave (and return).

You can get a 1 year extension of stay, if you meet the requirements, so you do not have to leave the country every 90 days. Requirements depend on the reason of your stay (retirement, marriage to a Thai)

If you forget, you will be on overstay and can be arrested for that en than can be deported back to your own country on your own expenses. If you go to the border yourself with an overstay you pay a fine of 500 baht per day you are on overstay and are good to leave (and return).

You can get a 1 year extension of stay, if you meet the requirements, so you do not have to leave the country every 90 days. Requirements depend on the reason of your stay (retirement, marriage to a Thai)

Ok Thanks

So do you have any more info on the 1 year extension of stay?? e.g the Requirements?

Post number 2 outlines the requirements for a 1 year extension for being married to a Thai and now in post number 53, 3 months later, you are asking the same question? Give us a break!

whistling.gif Just understand it is at best a two stage process.

First, get that 90 day non O visa form Savannaket by proving your marriage to a Thai.

Then, when you're back in Thailand with 90 days to stay, get all your marriage documents together and in the last 30 days of that 90 day visa apply for a one uear marriage exension ... using the required documents as proof.

It;s been done by many people before and it's not difficult ... but there are documrnts you need to show immigration.

Once you get the extension you will be subject to 90 day reporting ... but that's just a short trip to your local immigration once every 90 days.

Edited by IMA_FARANG