Sophon Internet Plans/pricing

Mightycabage

I need to decide on an internet plan soon with Sophon. I'm not sure what speed plan to choose. Perhaps someone can guide me... I don't do anything too crazy on the internet but I do video chat Skype with friends in other countries, the usual internet browsing, and sometimes download large files.

I will be having this internet in the View Talay 2 building.

I have also uploaded the pricing chart to this post.

Not sure if the uploader worked so here is the pricing chart typed out:

Download/Upload - Price

4m/512k - 690

6m/512k - 790

8m/512k - 990

10m/512k - 1290

10m/1m - 1990

20m/1m - 2500

Premium options:

2m/1m - 1690

2m/2m - 3500

Edited by Mightycabage

Wow.. That seems very expensive. Is Sophon your only choice? I pay 899 for 15M/1.5 TRUE cable internet and that includes 72 channels of tv. Even ADSL service can be had for less than that.

I paid 899 for true adsl 10/1 that I see in your list for 1990thb.

• 3 months later...

Wow.. That seems very expensive. Is Sophon your only choice? I pay 899 for 15M/1.5 TRUE cable internet and that includes 72 channels of tv. Even ADSL service can be had for less than that.

Are you happy with True? Do you actually get what they promises?

I'm actually looking at their 20/2 for 1299b. I have had some really bad experiences with True in BKK before. They was fast but NOT reliable and does not work so well with Skype. Maybe it is different here in Pattaya?

Thanks,

I'm actually looking at their 20/2 for 1299b. I have had some really bad experiences with True in BKK before. They was fast but NOT reliable and does not work so well with Skype. Maybe it is different here in Pattaya?

Thanks,

Considering this is Thailand, I feel I get what I pay for. I have had ADSL in Pattaya for many years (6+ maybe) and used TOT, Jinet, True, TTT. True is the only company I tried both their ADSL and now have their cable internet. The ADSL wasn't as reliable as I need but the cable seems to stay up all the time. I generally get the speeds I pay for 15M/1.5. I pay 899thb and that comes with 72 cable tv channels as well (knowledge package).

I use skype daily for both chat, voice, and video and can't say that it works any worse than any other service I've used. Of course skype relies on 2 parties (or more) connecting so not all skype issues can be blamed on my ISP.

I'm in a skype call right now with a friend in the czech republic and you can see the details...

post-32036-0-73418900-1359569110_thumb.j

Thanks,

Considering this is Thailand, I feel I get what I pay for. I have had ADSL in Pattaya for many years (6+ maybe) and used TOT, Jinet, True, TTT. True is the only company I tried both their ADSL and now have their cable internet. The ADSL wasn't as reliable as I need but the cable seems to stay up all the time. I generally get the speeds I pay for 15M/1.5. I pay 899thb and that comes with 72 cable tv channels as well (knowledge package).

I use skype daily for both chat, voice, and video and can't say that it works any worse than any other service I've used. Of course skype relies on 2 parties (or more) connecting so not all skype issues can be blamed on my ISP.

I'm in a skype call right now with a friend in the czech republic and you can see the details...

Im also interested of this. Where are you located? Do you think it will work as good in Jomtien.

72 channels, which packet is it? In this building we only have Sophon cable TV and it has only boring channels.

/T

Thanks,

Im also interested of this. Where are you located? Do you think it will work as good in Jomtien.

72 channels, which packet is it? In this building we only have Sophon cable TV and it has only boring channels.

/T

I'm on the darkside a few Km from sukumvit.

Here's the package I have from TRUE

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/packagedetail/234?ln=en

The channels I get can be seen here

http://truevisions.truecorp.co.th/packagedetail/40/True_Knowledge_Package?ln=en

It's their basic True Visions package. You can upgrade it for a fee of course. It's mostly geared towards thais with only a few english language channels. If you want all the movie channels and stuff then you need to get a gold or Platinum package.

http://trueonline.tr...etail/234?ln=en

http://truevisions.t...e_Package?ln=en

It's their basic True Visions package. You can upgrade it for a fee of course. It's mostly geared towards thais with only a few english language channels. If you want all the movie channels and stuff then you need to get a gold or Platinum package.

Thanks, we are trying to call True short number but no one answers. Do you have any Phone number to them in Pattaya?

/T

1686 is answered 24/7. Perhaps you should try again. Also, you will have a much easier time getting through to a Thai speaking rep than the english ones since there are less of them.

Another option is to go to the TRUE office in Lotus N. Pattaya and inquire. Often times those smaller True desks you find in all the malls are rather worthless when it comes to providing accurate info but the big true office inside the lotus N Pattaya is proper.

1686 is answered 24/7. Perhaps you should try again. Also, you will have a much easier time getting through to a Thai speaking rep than the english ones since there are less of them.

Another option is to go to the TRUE office in Lotus N. Pattaya and inquire. Often times those smaller True desks you find in all the malls are rather worthless when it comes to providing accurate info but the big true office inside the lotus N Pattaya is proper.

My GF is in the phone now... it took like half hour but eventually they answered. Thanks

a bit off-topic but 3BB is rolling out FTTH (Fibre) up to 100 MB (24k) this spring. 50 MB will start you at 5900 THB

Its a shame they don't look after the customers they have, I wont go back to 3BB, more complaints about them on the net than any other ISP in Pattaya

hehe, we got a weird answer from True today. As we are living above 12 floor (we are at 14th floor), we could not get cable internet, but ADSL blink.png How can the high floor be an issue? Very strange.

ADSL comes through the phone lines so chances are they don't have to run a new line as the condo probably has phone lines installed throughout the building.

Cable runs on a coax and they like to bring in their own coax from the street to make sure it's a clean line capable of carrying the signal. Wouldn't surprise me if they don't want to run a new coax line up 14 floors. I know when they came and installed the cable to my house there was a limit of how far away from the pole they would go before they started charging per meter of cable.

Maybe it's just a matter of paying more for the install for you high rise guys? Maybe it's an issue with the building owners not wanting the cable run? Really just don't know for certain.

hehe, we got a weird answer from True today. As we are living above 12 floor (we are at 14th floor), we could not get cable internet, but ADSL blink.png How can the high floor be an issue? Very strange.

ADSL comes through the phone lines so chances are they don't have to run a new line as the condo probably has phone lines installed throughout the building.

Cable runs on a coax and they like to bring in their own coax from the street to make sure it's a clean line capable of carrying the signal. Wouldn't surprise me if they don't want to run a new coax line up 14 floors. I know when they came and installed the cable to my house there was a limit of how far away from the pole they would go before they started charging per meter of cable.

Maybe it's just a matter of paying more for the install for you high rise guys? Maybe it's an issue with the building owners not wanting the cable run? Really just don't know for certain.

I told True I already had a phone line, but they still said no, I am on the 15th floor, tried a Bangkok call center and the office in Pattaya.

They told me same about fiber in central pattaya, even when i offered to run extra fiber to condo. No, we only deliver to 2nd. floor. Strange indeed....Pleased with 50mb 3BB so far...A bit pricy, compared to TRUE, but they will probably come down eventually. PF.

http://trueonline.tr...etail/234?ln=en

http://truevisions.t...e_Package?ln=en

I can't get True where I live, and as you know I'm pretty central. They don't have very good coverage yet and perhaps the OP cannot get it.

I've tried CAT, Sophon, 3BB and TOT. Normally I keep 2 - I've even had 3 at one time. Right now I'm running CAT HiNet premier and 3BB premier.

On the OP's list I had the 2Mb/1Mb service for 6 months and tried out the 2Mb/2Mb service for a month. That was a 5000 baht waste of time and money (1500 installation on top).

The best so far has been the 3BB premier connection. I get 3Mb/1Mb for 1066 baht per month but they no longer provide that service to new subscribers and a new connection would cost 2500 + VAT for 5Mb/1Mb.

I think for a basic service Sophon would be a good choice and their customer service is exceptional. If you call them in the morning they could be around at your house within the hour. CAT would be next for service. With TOT and 3BB you just have to hope that nothing goes wrong because they don't have customer service.

For anyone planning on trying out Sophon, it's possible that your TV cable won't transmit a good enough signal for a reliable service. If you're in a townhouse it will easy for Sophon to provide a direct cable. This could be a problem in a condo.

It's their basic True Visions package.

True cable is good if you can get it. It is not available everywhere.

Ok i see. Thanks. Will call them and hear.

It's best to go to their office. They have a big electronic map and will need to pinpoint your residence on it to see if it is available. It will take but a few minutes of your time.

CAT have new speeds on their HiNET packages. (and I mean direct with CAT).

7 Mb/s down / 1 Mb/s up - with 5:1 contention ratio @ 1550 month (ex.vat). Installation is 2000. 12 month contract.

I'm thinking about ditching Sophon 2/1 Mb/s Premier (at the same price) for the above.

edit: CAT install is ADSL. Sophon is co-ax (any1 actually got FIBRE?). So not 100% like-for-like connection.... saying that I bet the DSLAM with the ADSL is located in the main CAT tower and that it's well looked after with a decent UPS system etc.

edit2: for 1/2 the price there's True's offer. Hmmm.. torrents blocked & messing about with proxies = no thanks.

Edited by RandomSand

7 Mb/s down / 1 Mb/s up - with 5:1 contention ratio @ 1550 month (ex.vat). Installation is 2000. 12 month contract.

I'm thinking about ditching Sophon 2/1 Mb/s Premier (at the same price) for the above.

edit: CAT install is ADSL. Sophon is co-ax (any1 actually got FIBRE?). So not 100% like-for-like connection.... saying that I bet the DSLAM with the ADSL is located in the main CAT tower and that it's well looked after with a decent UPS system etc.

edit2: for 1/2 the price there's True's offer. Hmmm.. torrents blocked & messing about with proxies = no thanks.

I have 0 issues with torrents and get FULL bandwidth when downloading them. Messing about with proxies? I have the choice to enable their proxy at proxy.trueinternet.co.th:8080 or not (click of a button in my browser). Sometimes sites like TVF load slowly without using the proxy and other times I never use it at all. It's my choice and requires no messing about. Quite often browsing is fast when using the TRUE proxy as it has cached much content.

Also, my coax from TRUE is not fiber to my house but once the coax leaves my house it goes to a junction of fiber. Vs the True ADSL that I used to have that did not use fiber at all. In fact, TRUE even calls this a fiber connection (actually it's a Hybrid Fiber).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_fibre-coaxial

Edited by Jayman

It's their basic True Visions package.

It's best to go to their office. They have a big electronic map and will need to pinpoint your residence on it to see if it is available. It will take but a few minutes of your time.

I had True and loved their connection, When I was thinking of moving house the deal breaker was if I could have True supply the new house or not. went into their office and it was confirmed by both the lady there after she clicked away on the computer and then by a call to the technician that yes they could move my connection to the new house.

All good, lease on new house signed and notice given to the outgoing landlord, spend the next few weeks moving house and then call True to ask them to move my connection from the old place to the new one only to be told that cannot provide a service at the new address and infact did not supply at the old address.............. go figure I had been with them for 2 years but now they claim they had no service not only at the old house but the whole Soi ?????

Via road old house to new house was less than 500m in distance.

Edited by Spoonman

I had True and loved their connection, When I was thinking of moving house the deal breaker was if I could have True supply the new house or not. went into their office and it was confirmed by both the lady there after she clicked away on the computer and then by a call to the technician that yes they could move my connection to the new house.

All good, lease on new house signed and notice given to the outgoing landlord, spend the next few weeks moving house and then call True to ask them to move my connection from the old place to the new one only to be told that cannot provide a service at the new address and infact did not supply at the old address.............. go figure I had been with them for 2 years but now they claim they had no service not only at the old house but the whole Soi ?????

The level of incompetence in this country never ceases to amaze me.

A terrible state of affairs, but why am I not surprised/shocked?

Not sure why you have issues with true. I have 14dn & 1.4up 690baht per month. I stream slinbox from florida 24/7 with no issues. Ports are open for uttorent and i never need a proxy.