Big Shop, That's Not Tesco Or Makro

There is far too much put on best by dates. I consider them just a con to make you buy more food from the shops and manufacturers. You even have best by on water. preserved foods etc. I had the urge for some pasta the other month. After raking round the back of the cupboard I found some. It had a best before date of 2009. It was duly boiled and eaten without any unpleasant after effects. Have drunken many a bottle of beer here that is out of date just the same.

The big stores tend to be better at reducing stock like this to shift it but you are not back home now so if this is of importance to you I suggest checking everything you buy.

I personally can't be bothered biggrin.png

Tesco had a bunch of stuff on reduced price yesterday...around the store (actually they are always clearing shelves of close to sell by dates) The one I always look forward to, is the 2 for 1 Seriously Cheddar Cheese... which can be frozen to extend life!wink.png

Yesterday they had amongst other things, jars of Tesco brand Mince meat reduced, to 25 baht... Expiry date April 2013! A friend and I scooped everything on the shelf! smile.png (maybe Lamai store still has! wink.png )

Really, milk seems to be the only thing to watch, which always seems to go off the day after date shown....sick.gifbah.gif

I'm a bit like TB, it depends on product, I've got Marmite from 2008 still sitting in the fridge! smile.png

I just looked at a jar of honey, which has a sell buy date ... well that goes to show, it's unnecessary, as honey will keep thousands of years! blink.png

Food and the likes of milk have an inbuilt not fit for eating method of letting you know. It tends to stink wink.png If it looks dodgy or smells iffy then bin it. If not then just cook it a little more thumbsup.gif

The Tesco express near me often has chicken and pork reduced and I tend to buy it and stick it in one of the freezers.

Tesco had a bunch of stuff on reduced price yesterday...around the store (actually they are always clearing shelves of close to sell by dates) The one I always look forward to, is the 2 for 1 Seriously Cheddar Cheese... which can be frozen to extend life!wink.png

Yesterday they had amongst other things, jars of Tesco brand Mince meat reduced, to 25 baht... Expiry date April 2013! A friend and I scooped everything on the shelf! smile.png (maybe Lamai store still has! wink.png )

Really, milk seems to be the only thing to watch, which always seems to go off the day after date shown....sick.gifbah.gif

I'm a bit like TB, it depends on product, I've got Marmite from 2008 still sitting in the fridge! smile.png

I just looked at a jar of honey, which has a sell buy date ... well that goes to show, it's unnecessary, as honey will keep thousands of years! blink.png

You've got the same bottle of Marmite still in the fridge for four years???

Pass it over SJ, it won't last four days with me! licklips.giflicklips.giflicklips.gif

There is far too much put on best by dates. I consider them just a con to make you buy more food from the shops and manufacturers. You even have best by on water. preserved foods etc. I had the urge for some pasta the other month. After raking round the back of the cupboard I found some. It had a best before date of 2009. It was duly boiled and eaten without any unpleasant after effects. Have drunken many a bottle of beer here that is out of date just the same.

The big stores tend to be better at reducing stock like this to shift it but you are not back home now so if this is of importance to you I suggest checking everything you buy.

With the exception of fresh dairy products (milk, yoghurt etc) I agree with you 100%. Best marketing ploy ever to get people to buy more. sad.png

Ahh I remember the good old 'pre-Big C/Tesco' days when bread was often a pretty blue/green colour and still on the shelves! We didn't need to look at the sell-by date back then.

• Like 1

You've got the same bottle of Marmite still in the fridge for four years???

Pass it over SJ, it won't last four days with me! licklips.giflicklips.giflicklips.gif

That's one of three jars, the other two are not as old.... and I'm keepin them all! ..... oink! I'm working on them slooooowly ! tongue.png gets better with age,.... like me.... whistling.gifbiggrin.png

How right you are.

I have found that milk and bread last a bit longer here than in the UK, I buy a big carton of milk and it takes me about a fortnight to finish it. in fact I have never had milk go off in the seven years I have lived in Thailand.

I have found that milk and bread last a bit longer here than in the UK, I buy a big carton of milk and it takes me about a fortnight to finish it. in fact I have never had milk go off in the seven years I have lived in Thailand.

I do the same, but always pick from the back of the shelf and check dates... but have had it go off....usually the day after date printed... bah.gif

But the Foremost milk which I find the best of the bunch (for me anyway) , was not in stock at 7-11 or Tesco last week... sad.png ..... Perhaps Foremost plant affected by flooding again.... ?