Datsun Revival? $3000 "datsun" For Emerging Markets..

WarpSpeed

So Nissan is reviving Datsun and re-entering the market with a $3000 mini car but no jpegs yet.

http://online.wsj.co...4279919750.html

http://online.wsj.co...279919750.html

The bottom link is a video from the article and wanted it to embed but I guess it only came up as a link? Or conversely I don't know what I'm doing? Erm, that's probably it whistling.gif ..

Don't know why "Datsun" wasn't capitalized either as it was in my original post..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yep I'd be in for a retro 2000 roadster for sure with modern engine and suspension........................ Sweeeet!!

1968_Nissan_Datsun_2000_Fairlady_Passenger_Front_1.jpg

1968_Nissan_Datsun_2000_Fairlady_Passenger_Rear_1.jpg

1968_Nissan_Datsun_2000_Fairlady_Passenger_Interior_1.jpg

1968_Nissan_Datsun_2000_Fairlady_Passenger_Engine_1.jpg

Though obviously that wouldn't be in the entry level car program..

Oh! And if you look carefully the breather is mounted above the block? Wonder why? Who'd a knew that was a proper installation whistling.gif though being upright and not laying on it's side would have been the final detail... It's a well done conversion too, very clean and well laid out, looks like factory, someone put a lot of love into this car and not just a wallet full of money like so many others do..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yep I'd be in for a retro 2000 roadster for sure with modern engine and suspension........................ Sweeeet!!

1968_Nissan_Datsun_2000_Fairlady_Passenger_Front_1.jpg

1968_Nissan_Datsun_2000_Fairlady_Passenger_Rear_1.jpg

1968_Nissan_Datsun_2000_Fairlady_Passenger_Interior_1.jpg

1968_Nissan_Datsun_2000_Fairlady_Passenger_Engine_1.jpg

Though obviously that wouldn't be in the entry level car program..

Oh! And if you look carefully the breather is mounted above the block? Wonder why? Who'd a knew that was a proper installation whistling.gif though being upright and not laying on it's side would have been the final detail... It's a well done conversion too, very clean and well laid out, looks like factory, someone put a lot of love into this car and not just a wallet full of money like so many others do..

I agree, cool car with a very clean engine swap. Also, a good engine choice being the SR20DE, one of the more over-engineered production car engines. I had one in my 1st gen Sentra SE-R back in the US, which gave stock 5.0L 'Stangs a run for their money. Turbo versions of this engine can produce over 400 streetable hp with no internal mods necessary as well.

The large oil breather tube I think was plumbed into the air cleaner box in stock form. People who installed CAIs did the same as with this car using a mini- K&N filter on the breather tube. It seemed to stay clean with no oil drippage from the filter as I again think there was a vacuum line going from the oil catch can to a port before the throttle body. Unfortunately this required TB cleaning maintenance to keep the idle consistent.

Edited by SoCalChris

Also, a good engine choice being the SR20DE, one of the more over-engineered production car engines. I had one in my 1st gen Sentra SE-R back in the US, which gave stock 5.0L 'Stangs a run for their money. Turbo versions of this engine can produce over 400 streetable hp with no internal mods necessary as well.

The 1st car I bought in Thailand was a Nissan Bluebird SSS 2.0 turbo. Just happens that is the same engine. Nowhere close to 400 HP though.

The large oil breather tube I think was plumbed into the air cleaner box in stock form. People who installed CAIs did the same as with this car using a mini- K&N filter on the breather tube. It seemed to stay clean with no oil drippage from the filter as I again think there was a vacuum line going from the oil catch can to a port before the throttle body. Unfortunately this required TB cleaning maintenance to keep the idle consistent.

Yes, precisely Chris, my reference was a bit of a dig towards another poster in another thread having an engine upgrade and the people doing the work here in Thailand deciding that the breather location down below the block on the frame was a good location for it and I got shtick for making an observation of such. All properly installed breathers are above the block and even better, into the valve cover certainly not at oil pan level or below as this was.. Actually K&N makes breathers for this purpose.

As memory serves though, it was a Jag so that could explain a lot whistling.gif ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yes, precisely Chris, my reference was a bit of a dig towards another poster in another thread having an engine upgrade and the people doing the work here in Thailand deciding that the breather location down below the block on the frame was a good location for it and I got shtick for making an observation of such. All properly installed breathers are above the block and even better, into the valve cover certainly not at oil pan level or below as this was.. Actually K&N makes breathers for this purpose.

As memory serves though, it was a Jag so that could explain a lot whistling.gif ..

Ah, IC.....missed that one. Do you mind if you could provide the link to the thread you mentioned?

Anyhow, in getting back on topic, this reminds me of when the Yugo was introduced into the US. I hope this Datsun thing does not have the same outcome with its projected $3K target. My friend bought a Yugo and it just simply fell apart. Speaking of Yugos, how about this one for only $2K? The Olds 455ci engine swap probably won't meet your standards though. laugh.png

Edited by SoCalChris

Ah, IC.....missed that one. Do you mind if you could provide the link to the thread you mentioned?

Anyhow, in getting back on topic, this reminds me of when the Yugo was introduced into the US. I hope this Datsun thing does not have the same outcome with its projected $3K target. My friend bought a Yugo and it just simply fell apart. Speaking of Yugos, how about this one for only $2K? The Olds 455ci engine swap probably won't meet your standards though. laugh.png

This car as I understand the article is poised for developing markets such as India for example..

Sorry I don't remember the topic of the other thread, it came up within the topic so the topic title is unrelated..

That's first rate workmanship on that Yugo, it'll certainly be more reliable then the previous engine but it's down right scary with no obstruction between engine and passengers shock1.gif ..

Edited by WarpSpeed