Questions, Questions...

AdamUK

Hi

Thanks to everyone for giving me some pointers in my previous post. As I said, I'd already upped sticks and gone to Changmai before I picked up your responses.

But I've done my month in Changmai now - it's a nice place, very cheap, nice people - lots of people selling wooden frogs - good transport, no worries. I don't think it's quite right for me though, I have a bittuva skin condition which requires me to get by the sea often so it's a bit of a trek.

Next 2 choices have to be Pattaya (or nearby) or Hua hin.

As I said before... Phuket rubbed me right up the wrong way. Not so much for the apparent lack of anything too thai - I just hate to be treated like a tourist... tourist = mug often times, and I don't like to be taken for a mug, even if I am one :o I don't think anyone does.

The good thing about Changmai is that that side is considerably less apparent here. You don't see dollar signs in peoples eyes when you walk into their place like I did in Phuket.

And things here are so much cheaper - Phuket, a tuk tuk (given the lack of taxis) 10 feet up the road = 100 baht. In Changmai, a red taxi from one side of town to the other = 20 baht (if you get the right taxi of course).

Property here is pretty dirt cheap too.

So, what's the seaside equivalent of Changmai?

Is Pattaya completely like Phuket? Is there no-where nearby that is a bit less t-shirts and kiss me quick hats?

And hua hin - the Royal city, is that going to be considerably more expensive than CM?

I'm guessing Hua hin is less buckets and spades and a bit more together.

Which is easier to do a visa run from? Hua hin or Patters?

Have they both got broadband internet for homes? (It was looking to be a problem in Phuket).

Which one has easier access to Bangkok? Someone mentioned that you can get a taxi to Bangkok from patters for about 800 baht...

Any views would be very helpful.

Hi

Thanks to everyone for giving me some pointers in my previous post. As I said, I'd already upped sticks and gone to Changmai before I picked up your responses.

But I've done my month in Changmai now - it's a nice place, very cheap, nice people - lots of people selling wooden frogs - good transport, no worries. I don't think it's quite right for me though, I have a bittuva skin condition which requires me to get by the sea often so it's a bit of a trek.

Next 2 choices have to be Pattaya (or nearby) or Hua hin.

As I said before... Phuket rubbed me right up the wrong way. Not so much for the apparent lack of anything too thai - I just hate to be treated like a tourist... tourist = mug often times, and I don't like to be taken for a mug, even if I am one :o I don't think anyone does.

The good thing about Changmai is that that side is considerably less apparent here. You don't see dollar signs in peoples eyes when you walk into their place like I did in Phuket.

And things here are so much cheaper - Phuket, a tuk tuk (given the lack of taxis) 10 feet up the road = 100 baht. In Changmai, a red taxi from one side of town to the other = 20 baht (if you get the right taxi of course).

Property here is pretty dirt cheap too.

So, what's the seaside equivalent of Changmai?

Is Pattaya completely like Phuket? Is there no-where nearby that is a bit less t-shirts and kiss me quick hats?

And hua hin - the Royal city, is that going to be considerably more expensive than CM?

I'm guessing Hua hin is less buckets and spades and a bit more together.

Which is easier to do a visa run from? Hua hin or Patters?

Have they both got broadband internet for homes? (It was looking to be a problem in Phuket).

Which one has easier access to Bangkok? Someone mentioned that you can get a taxi to Bangkok from patters for about 800 baht...

Any views would be very helpful.

Newbie, if you are indeed a newbie, then chances are you don't speak much Thai and would feel the need to be among lots of other farangs. There are other 'seaside' places apart from Pattaya, Hua Hin and Patong,Phuket, however they usually have few farangs as residents and food is 90% Thai which is great for some people. Less farangs = cheaper property prices.

Cha Am is just north of Hua Hin and is more of a Thai family resort than Hua Hin which is popular with Scandinavian &German whales. It has quite a few bars, a few farangs and some decent restaurants. However if you want the full farang services from visa runs to western food, then Pattaya, Jomtien or Naklua are your best bets.

Pattaya is faster to get to because of the highways. Hua Hin is a bit slower by bus. Depends on your degree of urgency to reach the Big Mango

Cambodia is a few hours away by mini bus or car for visa runs. Hua Hin is not so convenient.The sea in Jomtien is a bit better than Pattaya. Property isn't cheap anymore because there's a lot of 'big money' in Pattaya. :D

Edited by ratcatcher

Personally I don't like Phuket, but in my opinion Phuket has it over Pattaya by a long shot. As the post above said, Cha-am has it's points but why not think outside of the 'farang box' and give places like Prachuab, Chumpon or Songkhla a thought. All got fairly nice beaches, all have a handfull of westerners if that's what you want and you're well away from the tourist traps too. Songkhla has it for visa runs too.

Just my thoughts

Samila Beach in Songkhla... ew. Not exactly up to the standard of Phuket with a seaport and liners dumping their waste into the area. Anyway, thre's plenty of farang in Hat Yai, but it's not touristy at all. There's decent nightlife and it's cheap. A breath of fresh air.

I reckon you'd like Bang Chang or Sattahip... halfway between Pattaya and Rayong... beautiful clean beaches... cheap Thai transport... very few tourists... and yet close enough to either Pattaya or Rayong for major shopping, restaurants etc.

Please don't dismiss Phuket as a non-starter if you have only experienced Patong!

Many expats live in the south of the island, near Rawaii. I live in the north, just by Nai Yang beach. I have a 12,000 baht house (2 bedrooms, 2 ensuite baths, living room and air-con etc). ADSL plus UBC TV. No rip-off prices so far! (Except for the tuk-tuks, but I have a car...)

Patong is certainly not like most of Phuket :o

Many expats live in the south of the island, near Rawaii. I live in the north, just by Nai Yang beach. I have a 12,000 baht house (2 bedrooms, 2 ensuite baths, living room and air-con etc). ADSL plus UBC TV. No rip-off prices so far! (Except for the tuk-tuks, but I have a car...)

12,000 Baht house, I'm assuming you're are renting?. How are the house prices anyway near your place (to purchase), for a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom standard home?

I lived in Chiang Mai for 5 years and loved it. You are right..it is much cheaper than elsewhere in Thailand and alot more culture. Not so many scummy types too.

Phuket I think is a dump. Full of far too many low lifes and obnoxious people. Been spoilt and is far too expensive. Not for me. Not sure what its like now but few of my friends like it.

Hua Hin is very nice and alot less low lifes. Can be cheap if you look around.

Areas outside of Pattaya are good, as cheap and also very nice. Pattaya is a bit of a dump but get outside and it has all aspects. quiet, beaches and cheap.

Edited by Blue Unicorn