New Bus Route Bkk-Laos

lovelaos

The state-run Transport Co Ltd will offer direct coach services between Bangkok and Vientiane and Bangkok to Pakse in Laos under a policy to boost transport networks with neighbouring countries.

Each destination will have one service a day using standard airconditioned buses and the one-way fare for both routes is 900 baht. The route from Bangkok to Vientiane will take 11 hours, leaving Bangkok at 8pm while the bus for Pakse leaves at 9pm and will take 13 hours.

http://jclao.com/archives/7759

Attention: If using this service, take care of a visum for Laos BEFORE departure.

The bus does not wait for passengers that do not have a visum.

It is possible to obtain a visum at the border, however, this procedure takes too long.

In other words, bye bye bus, and possibly your luggage!

• Like 2

Attention: If using this service, take care of a visum for Laos BEFORE departure.

It is possible to obtain a visum at the border, however, this procedure takes too long.

Just so people know, can I say that visum is German for visa.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

I thought he was being a grammatical smart arse.

Alas, this TV has enough of smart teachers- seeing its name, hans is likely Dutch. And for about any lingo (bar english) its 1 visum and 2 visa. So who sets the rules and who is exception?

Thanks for that.

This is good news. The flight from BKK to Pakse on Laos Airlines is prohibitively expensive and not daily, and although Nok Air to Ubon and then the bus is an affordable alternative, it's time consuming and involves a fair bit of sitting around waiting. I might give this new bus a go; at least I can just sit back, put in my earphones and sleep.

Edit: Does the Pakse bus leave from Mo Chit or Ekkamai?

Edited by brewsterbudgen

I am please to hear of the new bus route from Bangkok to Laos Capital vientiane and the time taken 11 hours wonderful and yes a pre Laos visa a must but dont worry the Embassy in bangkok opens at 8 am and you can pay a little more for a one hour service the same day

now my main reason for this reply the text quotes another route to pakse in the south well in march of this year 2012 I did that trip using an over night from the capital "vientiane " leaving at 8.30 pm took all night and arriving at the bus station outside the city at just after 7.30 am ? the new service from bangkok quotes its a 13 Hour journey to pakse from Bangkok sorry not possible the service used was a sleeper bus with beds backets pillow etc and cost 1,700 kips Pakse is on National Road 13, the main transportation highway of Laos. and be aware There is a high risk of Malaria and dengue fever during the monsoon season in that area .But one good thing the roads are great one on the new highway and next comment "laos " is the most connected country I have traveled in in some years the whole country has wifi ,broadband available a laptop works on the bus even wonderful skyping enroute south was so clear unreal. hope this brief reply helps even one doing this new route from bangkok but in more like 22 or 23 hours total .

post-157427-0-47880700-1349449802_thumb.

post-157427-0-40654800-1349449820_thumb.

• Like 1

I am please to hear of the new bus route from Bangkok to Laos Capital vientiane and the time taken 11 hours wonderful and yes a pre Laos visa a must but dont worry the Embassy in bangkok opens at 8 am and you can pay a little more for a one hour service the same day

now my main reason for this reply the text quotes another route to pakse in the south well in march of this year 2012 I did that trip using an over night from the capital "vientiane " leaving at 8.30 pm took all night and arriving at the bus station outside the city at just after 7.30 am ? the new service from bangkok quotes its a 13 Hour journey to pakse from Bangkok sorry not possible the service used was a sleeper bus with beds backets pillow etc and cost 1,700 kips Pakse is on National Road 13, the main transportation highway of Laos. and be aware There is a high risk of Malaria and dengue fever during the monsoon season in that area .But one good thing the roads are great one on the new highway and next comment "laos " is the most connected country I have traveled in in some years the whole country has wifi ,broadband available a laptop works on the bus even wonderful skyping enroute south was so clear unreal. hope this brief reply helps even one doing this new route from bangkok but in more like 22 or 23 hours total .

Bangkok-Vientiane about 640 km, Bangkok-Pakse about 700 km, so i think a 13 hour journey is right.

I would imagine the Bangkok-Pakse route will go via Ubon Ratchathani? The bus will only be travelling through Laos for around 40km and the road is fine.

You can also do the trip from Bangkok to Vientiane by train. An alternative for those that may not want to go via bus. Basically an overnight sleeper train to Nong Khai and then a connector train into Laos. Here is a good site for info on it.

I have not taken this trip myself. but I did do the overnight sleeper from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. Personally, I like the ability to get up out of the seat and wander down to the restaurant car, have a beer or some food. Or just the chance to get out of the seat and walk around.

Edited by Baloo22

You can also do the trip from Bangkok to Vientiane by train. An alternative for those that may not want to go via bus. Basically an overnight sleeper train to Nong Khai and then a connector train into Laos. Here is a good site for info on it.

I have not taken this trip myself. but I did do the overnight sleeper from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. Personally, I like the ability to get up out of the seat and wander down to the restaurant car, have a beer or some food. Or just the chance to get out of the seat and walk around.

Unfortunately not so many options to Pakse, so I'll give the new bus a go. Does it go from Mo Chit or Ekkamai?

what about the change to driving on the right ?? will there be a change of buses at the border ??--hope so --otherwise it will make the trip to Vientiane- and back again-- shall we say " interesting" to say the least sick.gif

Edited by Bucko

I think the night train is the best bet and have done it countless times. I can't sleep on those buses but can usually get 6-7 hours shuteye easily on the train. A flask and a few snacks/sandwiches makes it even more bearable as the food options are a bit limited...

• Like 1

I would take a separate VIP bus to the border then get a van service on the Thai side to take me through and then drive me wherever I want to go in Ventiane. Regular buses can be a nightmare and getting through the border is a real pain both ways. Last regular bus from Bangkok to Udon Thani we walked out of the bus station to meet bus outside after police had cleared it and they gave us plastic stools and packed the aisle ass to nuts full for the 10 hour trip. I raised so much Crazy Farang fuss they finally got my six month pregnant wife in a seat and could sit on the seat edge instead of squatting on that short plastic stool. Now I am careful to get only VIP buses. I heard the train was not air conditioned and pretty rough shape, but gonna try it one of these days.

I would take a separate VIP bus to the border then get a van service on the Thai side to take me through and then drive me wherever I want to go in Ventiane. Regular buses can be a nightmare and getting through the border is a real pain both ways. Last regular bus from Bangkok to Udon Thani we walked out of the bus station to meet bus outside after police had cleared it and they gave us plastic stools and packed the aisle ass to nuts full for the 10 hour trip. I raised so much Crazy Farang fuss they finally got my six month pregnant wife in a seat and could sit on the seat edge instead of squatting on that short plastic stool. Now I am careful to get only VIP buses. I heard the train was not air conditioned and pretty rough shape, but gonna try it one of these days.

The advantage of the new service is, presumably, that you stay on the same bus from Bangkok all the way to Vientiene or Pakse, hence the need to already have your Lao visa.

• Like 1

what about the change to driving on the right ?? will there be a change of buses at the border ??--hope so --otherwise it will make the trip to Vientiane- and back again-- shall we say " interesting" to say the least sick.gif

I don't quite understand this comment. Of course they don't change buses. Why will it make the trip 'interesting'?

The Vientiane - Udon route has been running for years with no incidents. Thousands of private vehicles cross borders every day and drive on the other side of the road without a problem.

I travelled on this bus from VTE last week but got off at the friendship bridge as I was going to Udon. Very comfortable with fully reclining seats, not freezing cold like some buses and blankets supplied.

Edited by lovelaos
  • Like 1

I don't quite understand this comment. Of course they don't change buses. Why will it make the trip 'interesting'?

The Vientiane - Udon route has been running for years with no incidents. Thousands of private vehicles cross borders every day and drive on the other side of the road without a problem.

I travelled on this bus from VTE last week but got off at the friendship bridge as I was going to Udon. Very comfortable with fully reclining seats, not freezing cold like some buses and blankets supplied.

Exactly. I've taken the bus from Pakse to Ubon a few times and there's never been a problem with the change to the other side of the road at the border. It will be a Joy to be able to go direct from Pakse to Bangkok.

• Like 1

I thought I was the biggest hard case on TV but ripping people for not taking a 350 bus to NK.ouch!

Im old now and always do trains first, vip 2nd for overnights.

But yeah — its slow and a waste. Pop across the border and for b50 you are in the city err village err city err well Vientiane.

• 1 year later...

@whatcharacters: VISUM is not especially German, the Dutch and Belgians also use it. It is SINGULAR for VISA, which is the PLURAL. So 1 visum, 2 Visa.

The English language, which is for about 40% derived from German and Old Dutch, by the way ( it came into existance many centuries later) does not make a difference between 1 or more visa. One could say the English language is a bit poorer here.

The word Visa came into the English from modern Latin, by France.

@whatcharacters: VISUM is not especially German, the Dutch and Belgians also use it. It is SINGULAR for VISA, which is the PLURAL. So 1 visum, 2 Visa.

The English language, which is for about 40% derived from German and Old Dutch, by the way ( it came into existance many centuries later) does not make a difference between 1 or more visa. One could say the English language is a bit poorer here.

The word Visa came into the English from modern Latin, by France.

Well done for picking out a post from 15 months ago...

• 1 month later...

13 road, just up the hill from the Champa Hotel. There is a small wood shelter with a bus guy sitting inside who can tell you about busses coming thru from the east. Some day busses are very basic.

Otherwise its a long trip out to the north bus station. Not worth the effort.

• Like 1