Do You Make Your Own Thai Food?

Razzler1973

Anyone try their hand at making their own Thai food at home?

I can do a mean fried rice and noodles tongue.png Not too bad Laap too.

What are your favourites, any simple recipes to share for your favs??

Thought it would be quite cool to know what everyone likes to make/eat :)

Not just Thai food but a range of recipes. Over the past week I have made some spicy Mango chutney, Chilli apple and date chutney, Spicy chilli jelly,a batch of Naan breads and some crumpets. I also knocked up some very nice duck pate. As well as some Thai curries, Malaysian curries, Indian curries and of course the monthly Sunday roast dinner.If I do say so myself I am a bit of a Gordon Ramsey in the kitchen !rolleyes.gif

Not in the results of my cooking but there tends to be lots of cursing and swearing coming from the kitchen when I am having a session whistling.gif

I find it a very pleasant way to spend a day thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Not just Thai food but a range of recipes. Over the past week I have made some spicy Mango chutney, Chilli apple and date chutney, Spicy chilli jelly,a batch of Naan breads and some crumpets. I also knocked up some very nice duck pate. As well as some Thai curries, Malaysian curries, Indian curries and of course the monthly Sunday roast dinner.If I do say so myself I am a bit of a Gordon Ramsey in the kitchen !rolleyes.gif

Not in the results of my cooking but there tends to be lots of cursing and swearing coming from the kitchen when I am having a session whistling.gif

Do you have any recipes lying around doing nothing?

I make my own bread with a breadmaker plus I make bacon and ham at home. Sausages I am not so good at and the Thai recipes I do cook are not as spicy as my wifes but they suit me.

Next week I am going to get a small convection oven from Makro and see what I can make with that.

Not only do I make my own Thai food at home but I do alomost all of the cooking.The wife and most people at the Wat say that I make better Thai food then most Thais.There was this one woman at the Wat that really liked the food that I made until......She found out that the farang was making it.At that point all she would say is how bad it tasted and farang not know how to make Thai food.She is now always asking me how you know make Thai food it very good.I guess she got tired of everyone else saying how good the farang cook Thai food.

wai.gif Yes i make Krapow Gai,(chilli chicken), Gan gari gai (yellow thai curry) fried rice, fried vegetables thai style.

wai.gifLearnt to cook from my thai wife, some times just make it up as i go along and just keep tasting/ checking until

it tastes right.

Im allergic to fish so dont use fish sauce, instead i use mushroom sauce or thin soy sauce and the secret ingredient

to any recipie is Chicken Powder bought from thailand.

Home cooked food is 100 times better than any thai restaurant food in the UK..

• 3 weeks later...

wai.gif Yes i make Krapow Gai,(chilli chicken), Gan gari gai (yellow thai curry) fried rice, fried vegetables thai style.

wai.gifLearnt to cook from my thai wife, some times just make it up as i go along and just keep tasting/ checking until

it tastes right.

Im allergic to fish so dont use fish sauce, instead i use mushroom sauce or thin soy sauce and the secret ingredient

to any recipie is Chicken Powder bought from thailand.

Home cooked food is 100 times better than any thai restaurant food in the UK..

Allergic to fish? What happens to you after you eat fish?

I'm stubborn in that I consistently try and cook my own Thai food...then a few times a week I go to my friend's Thai restaurant taste how good his stuff is compared to mine and wonder why I even try. On top of that cooking myself costs me about 3 times more not to mention the time...but still I persist.

• Like 1

I'm stubborn in that I consistently try and cook my own Thai food...then a few times a week I go to my friend's Thai restaurant taste how good his stuff is compared to mine and wonder why I even try. On top of that cooking myself costs me about 3 times more not to mention the time...but still I persist.

That' s the cool thing to do. I repeated my persistence for years and still didn't get it right. Until i discovered i always used the wrong ingredients... blink.png But i still enjoyed it because doing something different from western standards made me feel good.

I used the right prescription eehr ingredients for a long time. But then i got into a real Thai kitchen carrying all my experience and saw how it' s done for real. Timing and smelling and tasting is very important whilst preparing these foods. Also experience and time.

It's totally different form the first time you walk into a Thai kitchen smelling and enjoying and tasting. Now i carry the experience with me and i re evaluate - ed the perception. Eye opener!

This time i saw what i did wrong.

But i still kept persisting like you. If i didn't persist i would not be where i am now. thumbsup.gif . Keep up the good work!

Edited by Dancealot

• 2 weeks later...

We have been living in Pattaya for over 6 years. We eat out about once a week, but most days we cook at home. On our menu: pasta dishes, steaks, burgers, Mexican foods, pizzas, quiche, salads, fresh fruit juices, and Thai foods. I took thai cooking classes and my partner thinks my Thai dishes are better than anything you can go out and buy... :-). Really, as we are not trying to make a profit on it, so we use the best meat and ingredients.

We have been living in Pattaya for over 6 years. We eat out about once a week, but most days we cook at home. On our menu: pasta dishes, steaks, burgers, Mexican foods, pizzas, quiche, salads, fresh fruit juices, and Thai foods. I took thai cooking classes and my partner thinks my Thai dishes are better than anything you can go out and buy... :-). Really, as we are not trying to make a profit on it, so we use the best meat and ingredients.

I'm feeling hungry now.

• Like 1

TB - if you have the time and inclination I would appreciate reading your recipes !

TB - if you have the time and inclination I would appreciate reading your recipes !

And me also, in particular your Mango chutney smile.png

• 1 month later...