Hammers

overherebc

I saw one once but it was left handed.

555 leather handled? assume OP means the grip? t..not hard to install another wooden handle is it? Lots of fibre composite handled tools out there too. Think wooden handles work pretty well on cricket bats too?

I have three mattock heads,two hammer heads and one machete thingy head floating around though..easier to buy a new one because I am such a busy bee...tongue.png

Hammers were really invented for driving nails....not extracting them. But what are those prongs on the end for???? To straighten up a bent nail that you glanced off of trying to drive in. They, being part of them....really did invent nail pullers and such for extraction. ett

difficult if not impossible to get a good hammer in Thailand,

I am a Union carpenter in NY specializing in high-rise building, concrete forms,For the most part we use 10 d and 16d double hear nails , for nailing forms together and later taking them apart. A good hammer is very important in my job, and it is a subject I know a lot about.

It is not unusual to see carpenters using $ 140.00 hammers,

I dont because we tend to loose them a lot , I Use a 22 oz Stanley Far Max with a waffle head magnetic nail hold.and Graphite handle in The Us it retails at about $ 30.00. it has good balance , nice wight lasts long ,and if lost I will not cry. An Estwing hammer is good, and with the metal handle it will last for ever, but the metal handle transfers too much vibration in arm, and if you do a lot of hammering it could become a problem., I also dont like the fact that the neck is thin and if I want to chock on the hammer for better precision control I cant.

B00005QVQO-1.jpg

I have looked everywhere in Thailand for a similar hammer and could not find one, all I could find is what we call "pea shooters"smile.png ,

Next time I come to Thailand (in a few months) it is in my list of things to bring, along with a good tool belt, a decent chalk line, and a post-hole digger, (only the head will install handles in LOS).

Sirineou that container must be getting quite full.

My Estwing has held up well. Sure glad I brought some of my hand tools.

Estwings are indestructible, i like the solid metal handle for durability, ,I also like how the neck comes to a point almost like a hatchet,, many a times I have used the sharp neck to split wood or to chop a piece of plywood. The only thing I don't like .is that the metal handle transfers the impact shock in to my arm ans wrist, For some one who swings the hammer occasionally that's not a problem, but for some one like me who uses it an a daily bases, I find that it hurts my arm.and elbow,

I come to Thailand at least once a Year and every time I come I try to bring a few tools, You would think that by now my wish list will be getting shorter, but instead it is getting longer.

When I retire there I will see about packing a container with some of the things that I will need.I have to see if it is worth it, you know with the all the shipping costs and import duties involved. maybe it is easier to just buy everything in Thailand and bring small things with me on the airplane , every time I come back and forth.

One thin for sure the things available in Thailand are increasing exponentially,.unfortunately a good hummer is not one of them yet.

• 5 weeks later...

OK, I was beginning to think I was being petty... so I'm glad I'm not the only one going crazy over the sorry excuse for hammers available in LoS - I miss my 22-oz. framing hammer with the meat tenderizer (works on fingers too) head. As an American architect & CM who's framed his share of houses, leaving behind my construction tools was painful. Been looking ever since for a proper framing hammer, but they don't have em here.