Does Apple Warranty Count For Anything In Thailand?

fletchsmile

^

so you didn't tell the Vietnam shop you dropped it then.

Glad you got it sorted in the end.

They never asked :) They just saw the corners were damaged and said that it wouldn't be covered by a free exchange. Checked the warranty period was still valid and it was. They said it would be USD 120 for a new one and they'd have to send to Singapore, and usually takes 3 days. They knew also that Thailand is ripping people off and much more expensive.

They called me this Saturday (unlike in Thailand where people never called back). New Ipad now with us :)

Summary:

Anyone who says the after sales service and warranty in Thailand is the same as anywhere else in the world is talking crap.

Thailand: From half a dozen shops - all poor service. Would have been THB 10,500 and 10 days

Vietnam: One shop. Excellent service - 10 mins. No fuss. THB 3,750 and 3 days :)

Can't comment on their after sales service however the MacBook I'm about to order from apple Thailand is 8000 bht cheaper here than if I ordered it from apple uk so no complaints from me.

You raise a good point. After my experience there is now a clear distinction in my mind between:

Where I buy something

Where I can get it serviced or try and use the warranty.

Prior to that I'd always tried to buy from a decent shop that I could trust to have a relationship with and take back if a problem. I'd pay a bit more for that and hence my customer loyalty. The Apple model in Thailand has no link between who you buy it from and who you go to for a problem. I was at the stage I would never by an Apple Product again in Thailand - still probably won't, although my thinking now is to just buy from whoever gives the best deal.

The other thing that always worries me about buying in Thailand is the number of scams. So when I buy an Iphone, Ipad, MacBook, PC, any other phone etc, how do I know I'm getting new, and they haven't messed around with it in some way.

Cheers and good luck with your MacBook. From what I've seen and heard they're reliable machines :)