Stop Snoring Devices - Do They Work

tim armstrong

Partly because my wife complains of earache in the mornings, but also for my own health, I have finally decided to do something about my snoring. I don't think I have sleep aponea, but I would like to try something that works without being too uncomfortable. I have tried various devices some years ago, but with only short term relief.

So does anyone have recent experience of current remedies or devices that work, are not too expensive and are available in Thailand? Advice much appreciated.

Mechanical obstruction, such as a deviated nasal septum may benefit from a "reverse nose clamp" for want of a better description. It is a small U-shaped device that is attached to the nostrils on the outside and opens up a narrowed opening.

Other causes, such as an enlarged soft palate and uvula can only be treated by surgery but sleep studies need to be performed when this is considered.

Overweight is probably the most common cause of snoring.

Thanks FBN and others. I've tried the nose clamp before, with limited success. I think overweight and genetics is the culprit. I've just found an Australian device like a mouthgard called sleep pro, so I'm going to try it, and continue with the weight loss regime. Thanks again.

Hi Tim,

I used to have chronic snoring problems and went to the 'sleep' clinic at Bumrungrad who diagnosed severe apnea.

To cut a long story short I was advised to obtain a breathing machine/mask - which I did - ( at great expense). I suppose it worked, but I did have trouble getting used to it, and soon after I bought the machine, I spit up with my wife, so no longer cared who heard me snoring!

Anyway, ever since I stopped drinking, and I suppose, lost a bit of weight, (but not that much), my snoring has ceased. I was a heavy snorer for years, but now I sleep like a baby.

To be fair to the hospital , they did tell me to come to do the sleep test in my 'usual state' - i.e. half cut - which I did, so there is no doubt that in my case booze was the root cause.

How many beers are you consuming these days? Maybe it is booze as much as being overweight that is causing the problem.

PS. If anyone is interested in buying a hardly used, top of the range sleep breathing machine, then send me a PM.