True Upgrade Packages

Millian

on my 15/1.5 true cable connection to west coast

X2dPi1U.5svuGKM.png

and central

sYg5Ctc.MOYTR4Q.png

and.. if you guys click on the share my results tab you can just paste the code here and stop with all the crazy this time and this result posts.. all is viewable in the graphic.

Edited by Jayman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the time when I use testmy.net I just use the default setting which tests to the Central U.S. and I get in the 2.3 to 2.6Mb range, day or night. And it pretty much matches ups with what I get using DSLReports Java-based speedtester.

I think testmy.net is a good testing resource and am glad another poster here, HML367, brought it to our attention...

I have noticed a couple of quirks about it, however. One is they have the "automatic" test setting and then settings for various download sizes, up to 25 MB and topping out at 50 MB... In my use of the site, I notice I consistently get markedly slower speed test results when I pick one of those larger download settings versus the "automatic" setting that uses a series of smaller size file downloads. Not sure why...

Here's one example of that from 9 am BKK time yesterday for their West Coast server:

Automatic

post-58284-0-72126200-1350377328_thumb.j

25 MB

post-58284-0-94737100-1350377411_thumb.j

50 MB

post-58284-0-09027300-1350377326_thumb.j

For me, meanwhile, I always use the L.A. or S.F. or West Coast based servers to run my speed tests, when they're available, because I'm usually using VPN or proxy servers in those locations, which usually provide faster connections to Thailand than those in the Central or Eastern parts of the country, presumably at least because of the shorter distances, among potential other reasons.

Right now, whenever I do any speed testing, I run several back-to-back tests using the same speed test site, to ensure I'm getting some consistency in my results... And I'm using three different sites that together seem to provide good levels of detail and accuracy.

DSL Reports Java L.A. server

Microsoft USA Data Center

TestMy.Net West Coast/Seattle

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

and.. if you guys click on the share my results tab you can just paste the code here and stop with all the crazy this time and this result posts.. all is viewable in the graphic.

It's a nice feature, the combined results graphic. But it doesn't work or fit for my purposes...

At any given time, I'm looking at results for a series of different parameters... direct connections, proxy connections, VPN connections both L2TP and IPSec, different server cities for each, daytime results, night time results, and specific results for certain particular video streaming services.

With a lot of things having changed lately -- including True Online's plan upgrades and the recent loss of the formerly very good Witopia proxy server service -- I'm still trying to work out what combination of services, settings and connections is going to make the most of my Internet connection for my intended uses.