True Upgrade Packages

Millian

Just to round out the time-of-day testing variations for the True 14 Mbps cable internet in BKK...

Here's 8:30 am this morning... speed test BKK to Microsoft USA...

In terms of BKK time, a lot faster than primetime night time, but somewhat slower than afternoon time. Probably because morning here is primetime evening time in the U.S.

1.63, 1.27 and 1.57 Mbps downloads in successive, back-to-back tests...

post-58284-0-76686600-1350005901_thumb.j

post-58284-0-48172000-1350005903_thumb.j

post-58284-0-20209300-1350005905_thumb.j

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So for an extra 200 baht per month (899 vs 699), hopefully, I'll be getting the 200 baht per month of calling time with their cable telephone service as well as their 72 channel Knowledge Package for free. That seems like a decent value all the way around, assuming there are no hidden "gotcha's."

Not that it's a big deal since free is free but my staff told me that the THB200 free calling only applies to calls made to TRUE landlines & TRUE mobiles.

Seems like an interesting, useful and flexible site. I particularly like that you can choose East or West Coast server locations, and varying sizes of file downloads for your testing....

Interesting that I got noticeably higher download speeds when I chose the 25 or 50 MB downloads for my tests, as opposed to using the smaller range of download sizes that the automatic test uses. The automatic test produced speeds pretty identical to those I posted a while earlier from MS USA and DSL Reports, i.e., in the 1.5 Mbps range.

True's 14 Mbps cable internet in BKK, 10 am local time. Testing via their West Coast server.

post-58284-0-58863600-1350011156_thumb.j

post-58284-0-61056100-1350011158_thumb.j

post-58284-0-28841500-1350011161_thumb.j

post-58284-0-92377400-1350011163_thumb.j

post-58284-0-54324500-1350011166_thumb.j

So for an extra 200 baht per month (899 vs 699), hopefully, I'll be getting the 200 baht per month of calling time with their cable telephone service as well as their 72 channel Knowledge Package for free. That seems like a decent value all the way around, assuming there are no hidden "gotcha's."

Not that it's a big deal since free is free but my staff told me that the THB200 free calling only applies to calls made to TRUE landlines & TRUE mobiles.

Thanks for clarifying that... I'll try to confirm that with True when they're out to my house in the next couple days...

But I figure, either way, it's going to work out... If for no other reason, at some point during the month, I'm usually having to call True Online, TrueMove or TrueVisions about some problem, and end up spending a half hour on the phone, between their long hold times and sometimes even longer trying to get a CSR who has a clue of what they're doing. And of course, those aren't toll-free calls, so I'm paying for them either via my house phone or minutes on my mobile plan.

So I guess, I can think of now have a "toll-free" trouble line for calling True! laugh.pngthumbsup.gif

But more broadly, I guess I need to find/figure out what the normal per minute calling rates are under the True Online "Fixed Line Plus" service? Anyone seen them???

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

KvaRKR.png

Well, as it persisted in the morning, I went on chat and the girl confirmed 'data fail'. Then she 'motivated' the line and it went up to 8Mbs (10Mbs in modem). Then talked with the engineer and he came to the apartment and replaced the line.

Now:

T8BQ6q.png

Not 30 or even 20 dB but my download from Usenet shot up to 1.6MBs (never had it so fast).

Happy Camper again! Thanks for your involvement.

In the last days it's always around 8-9 Mbs. It used to be 12MBs.

You have a physical line problem (i.e, funky/corroded connection somewhere between your modem and the DSLAM...maybe the recent rains caused the problem). Your downstream SNR Margin is very bad....in the 10-12db range is when disconnects/slow basic connection problems usually begin to occur....you should be in the 20-30db ballpark. Call your ISP...it ain't going to magically get better unless the problem is a line problem also affecting other people who have called to report the problem (complain) and your problem just happens to get fixed when they are fix the other person's problem. Then again the problem could be solely with your line.

Can someone explain how I can get the SNR and attenuation nos. and what sort of figures they should be please?

Ok, a few minutes ago I called True and changed from my current 20Mb/2Mb DOCSIS plan which I have been on for 16 months (and been very pleased with) to the 14Mb/1.4Mb DOCSIS plan. The CSR spoke very clear English and the switchover is suppose to occur within 3 days...first they will send an SMS to me within 3 days which I must respond to to confirm the switchover and my bill for the transition month will be prorated between the two plans.

I'm switching because while the 20Mb plan gave me 20Mb within Thailand (actually 21.4Mb) for most international access it really wasn't any faster than lower speed DOCSIS plans or even lower speed xDSL plans. The long time problem of Thai ISPs just not buying enough international bandwidth....or what some ThaiVisa posters refer to as throttling.

And reason that gave me the extra push to make the call was the price of the 14Mb plan as it occupies a sweet spot in the cost of True's DOCSIS plans at 50 baht per Mb of speed at 14Mb for B699. When you price-out the DOCSIS by basic cost (before VAT) and rounding to the nearest baht, here's how True's DOCSIS plans price-out based on cost per Mb of download speed.

10Mb/B599 plan.......60 baht per Mb

14Mb /B699 plan......50 baht per Mb

15Mb/B899 plan.......60 baht per Mb

20Mb/B1299 plan.... 65 baht per Mb

50Mb/B2799 plan.....56 baht per Mb

100Mb/B4999 plan...50 baht per Mb

200Mb/B9999 plan...50 baht per Mb

Now, I can use my 600 baht per month savings on home internet cost to sign up for a B699 postpay DTAC smartphone plan which provides 350 voice minutes & 1GB 3G data up to 42Mb speed with unlimited data fallback to 384KB speed versus just my current B200 postpay DTAC 200 minutes voice plan with no data plan but you can use data at 1 baht/minute which gets expensive fast.

And when the dust settles on my combined monthly home internet and smartphone mobile plans I will pocket an overall savings of approx 100 baht per month. Now, I did take a step down in home internet speed from a 20Mb/2Mb plan to a 14Mb/1.4 plan, but that download speed change will only affect speed to in-Thailand sites which probably won't be noticeable for browsing and probably no speed change to international web sites for browsing, emailing, live video streaming, etc.. Sure, file download via torrent/download manager programs will slow down a little but I don't do much file downloading....and about the only thing I upload is emails with some small attachments....I probably won't notice the difference between a 2Mb and 1.4Mb upload speed.

Time will tell. Hopefully, the reliability of my DOCSIS plan will remain durn near 100% since there are no hardware or wiring changes/swapouts involved....only True changing my account profile from a 20Mb/2Mb plan to a 14Mb/1.4Mb plan. Time will tell.

Unless you were doing heavy torrent downloading, Pib, I don't think you'll notice any meaningful difference between True's 14 Mbps and 20 Mbps plans..

As for the promised SMS..... When I was talking to True Online the other day to get info about their triple play promotion, and found out in the process that they'd just upgraded my 10 Mbps cable internet plan to the new 14 Mbps plan at the same 699 baht per month price, one thing I asked was...

Geez, do you guys ever actually notify your customers when you're making these kinds of changes???

And the reply I got was, Well Sir, you should have or should be receiving an SMS message notifying you of the change.

To which I answered, in about 5 years of being a True Online customer, I don't think I've EVER received an SMS from True Online... And for that matter, I don't think they've ever notified me directly of any change/upgrade they've ever made to my ISP account, period.

Can someone explain how I can get the SNR and attenuation nos. and what sort of figures they should be please?

You should be able to get this figures trough the web interface of your router/modem. Enter '192.168.1.1' into your browser and it should ask for the user and pass of your router interface.

Edited by sniffdog

Unless you were doing heavy torrent downloading, Pib, I don't think you'll notice any meaningful difference between True's 14 Mbps and 20 Mbps plans..

As for the promised SMS..... When I was talking to True Online the other day to get info about their triple play promotion, and found out in the process that they'd just upgraded my 10 Mbps cable internet plan to the new 14 Mbps plan at the same 699 baht per month price, one thing I asked was...

Geez, do you guys ever actually notify your customers when you're making these kinds of changes???

And the reply I got was, Well Sir, you should have or should be receiving an SMS message notifying you of the change.

To which I answered, in about 5 years of being a True Online customer, I don't think I've EVER received an SMS from True Online... And for that matter, I don't think they've ever notified me directly of any change/upgrade they've ever made to my ISP account, period.

I agree that I probably won't notice much of any change in my day-to-day interneting. Regarding the SMS the True CSR did say I need to respond to the SMS to effect the change (sounds like when you update your email address on some site and then you get an email sent to you which you have to click on a link to confirm the address....I had to do that just the other day when updating my address on my DTAC account). But as long as the change occurs, with or without the SMS, all will be good. But I'll provide an update on "if" an SMS is actually received once the change occurs, whether it's just a notification of the change, or whether an got any SMS at all.

I was hoping my 20Mb plan might drop down in price from the B1,299...or they might create a new plan like 25Mb and just bump me up to that speed. The 20Mb plan cost hasn't changed since I got the plan in Jun 11. In Jun 11 when the 20Mb plan was (and still is) B1,299/month or 65 baht per Mb compared to the 10Mb plan at B699 then or 70 baht per Mb a person got more bang per Mb. But since then True rolled out there 7, 14, and 15Mb plans and lowered some of the plan costs the sweet spots have changed. Now, the 20Mb plan don't occur a sweet spot in comparison to the other plans. Preaching to the choir when I say new promotions can sure change a person's previous good deal into just a standard deal.

According to the promotion the TrueLife+ package versus the Knowledge package is the TV package that comes with the lower speed internet plans. Here's a TrueVisions Link that shows the Platinum, Gold, Gold Lite, Knowledge and TrueLife+ TV packages. In addition to the individual channels shown, there are also Distance Learning (DL) TV channels 1-15 in each package which is pretty much more Thai language channels.

Pib, as best as I understand it, the TrueLife Freeview package is ONLY available via their mini satellite dishes, not cable... And their website says it has 60 channels...

Whereas, the promo info for the triple-play promotion I believe promised 72 channels...

The TrueVisions website shows the Knowledge Package at 74 channels...

Re the Triple Play promo, I don't recall seeing anything that named WHAT TrueVisions package they were going to be providing... But on the telephone, when I asked if it was the Knowledge Package, their CSR said yes...

In their webpage re the Triple Play promo, they show the TrueVisions package that comes with it as being the 72 channel variety for their 15, 20 and 50 Mbps Internet plans. Only the 100 and 200 Mbps plans get the Gold Lite and Gold TV packages, respectively.

BTW, this announcement page re their Triple Play package does appear to mention the service as being Docsis 3 starting at 15 Mbps and makes some mention of a 12 month service contract...

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/activity/entry/609

If all True is offering is the TrueLife TV package and/or they want to install a mini satellite dish, which I don't believe is the case, then I'd skip the package and just take the solo 14 Mbps internet for the same 699 baht per month that I've been paying.

Now if I only had my own True Fixed Line Plus phone to call them for free and wait on hold for a half hour while I try in vain to get the accurate answers to these kinds of questions... whistling.gif

Ok, a few minutes ago I called True and changed from my current 20Mb/2Mb DOCSIS plan which I have been on for 16 months (and been very pleased with) to the 14Mb/1.4Mb DOCSIS plan. The CSR spoke very clear English and the switchover is suppose to occur within 3 days...first they will send an SMS to me within 3 days which I must respond to to confirm the switchover and my bill for the transition month will be prorated between the two plans.

I'm switching because while the 20Mb plan gave me 20Mb within Thailand (actually 21.4Mb) for most international access it really wasn't any faster than lower speed DOCSIS plans or even lower speed xDSL plans. The long time problem of Thai ISPs just not buying enough international bandwidth....or what some ThaiVisa posters refer to as throttling.

And reason that gave me the extra push to make the call was the price of the 14Mb plan as it occupies a sweet spot in the cost of True's DOCSIS plans at 50 baht per Mb of speed at 14Mb for B699. When you price-out the DOCSIS by basic cost (before VAT) and rounding to the nearest baht, here's how True's DOCSIS plans price-out based on cost per Mb of download speed.

10Mb/B599 plan.......60 baht per Mb

14Mb /B699 plan......50 baht per Mb

15Mb/B899 plan.......60 baht per Mb

20Mb/B1299 plan.... 65 baht per Mb

50Mb/B2799 plan.....56 baht per Mb

100Mb/B4999 plan...50 baht per Mb

200Mb/B9999 plan...50 baht per Mb

Now, I can use my 600 baht per month savings on home internet cost to sign up for a B699 postpay DTAC smartphone plan which provides 350 voice minutes & 1GB 3G data up to 42Mb speed with unlimited data fallback to 384KB speed versus just my current B200 postpay DTAC 200 minutes voice plan with no data plan but you can use data at 1 baht/minute which gets expensive fast.

And when the dust settles on my combined monthly home internet and smartphone mobile plans I will pocket an overall savings of approx 100 baht per month. Now, I did take a step down in home internet speed from a 20Mb/2Mb plan to a 14Mb/1.4 plan, but that download speed change will only affect speed to in-Thailand sites which probably won't be noticeable for browsing and probably no speed change to international web sites for browsing, emailing, live video streaming, etc.. Sure, file download via torrent/download manager programs will slow down a little but I don't do much file downloading....and about the only thing I upload is emails with some small attachments....I probably won't notice the difference between a 2Mb and 1.4Mb upload speed.

Time will tell. Hopefully, the reliability of my DOCSIS plan will remain durn near 100% since there are no hardware or wiring changes/swapouts involved....only True changing my account profile from a 20Mb/2Mb plan to a 14Mb/1.4Mb plan. Time will tell.

Excellent analysis!

Now if I only had my own True Fixed Line Plus phone to call them for free and wait on hold for a half hour while I try in vain to get the accurate answers to these kinds of questions... whistling.gif

What about an "other worldly" online chat? I have to say that having tried it myself I laughed when you wrote that. What with the canned responses and interminably long periods between answers. I felt like she (for some reason I always imagine it's a she) was being a bit promiscuous.

I had the same feeling, Dork... I only resort to their online chat usually when I can't get thru to anyone on the phone...

Meanwhile, via a yet another phone call to True Online and 15 mins of hold time first, I believe I've now gotten to the bottom of the mystery about this.... and some of the unanswered questions...

1. Re the True Online Fixed Line Plus phone service via cable, the True Online CSR confirmed that their 200 baht per month calling credit only applies to calls to other True numbers... Calls to non True numbers such as AIS or DTAC or TOT would be billed at THREE BAHT per minute!!!!

2. Re the TrueVisions TV component of the package, the rep checked and finally answered back that the promotion's 72 channel package is basically the same as the TrueVisions Knowledge package... except, they're deleting the True Movie Hits and True Sports 2 channels to get from 74 to 72 channels. That's why there's the discrepancy in the channel totals. And yes, the service is via cable... no mini satellite dishes involved.

So, in the wake of that, I told the True Online people to cancel my scheduled Triple Play promo package install, and instead, I'll stick for now with the basic 14 Mbps / 1.4 Mbps cable internet service that I already have for 699 baht per month... But it really makes me wonder, why is the world is True pricing the 15 Mbps / 1.5 Mbps Internet only package at 899 baht per month.... 200 baht extra per month for that???

Regarding the SMS the True CSR did say I need to respond to the SMS to effect the change (sounds like when you update your email address on some site and then you get an email sent to you which you have to click on a link to confirm the address....I had to do that just the other day when updating my address on my DTAC account). But as long as the change occurs, with or without the SMS, all will be good. But I'll provide an update on "if" an SMS is actually received once the change occurs, whether it's just a notification of the change, or whether an got any SMS at all.

Here's the update: Got the SMS at 4:56pm. it said: "Your profile is already changed. Effective 12/10/2012. Thank you for contact True."

Ok, I was out at the time...got back to house at 6pm...did a speed test....still have my 20Mb plan speeds...turned off-on my laptop's wireless for a few seconds...tried another speed test....still getting 20Mb plan speeds....so, I power cycle my modem/router and try the speed test again...Ok, I'm now getting 14Mb/1.4Mb speedtest results....actually real close to 15Mb/1.5Mb speeds like shown below.

post-55970-0-08126400-1350041790_thumb.j

Then did a couple of DSLReports speed tests to L.A....got 2Mb download speeds just like my 20Mb plan. Checked my NetTalkDuo VOIP device...it still works. Then did some browsing and emailing...couldn't tell any difference in their speeds compared to my previous 20Mb plan.

So, switching from my 20Mb plan to the 14Mb plan took one short phone call and less than 6 hours later the plan switch is complete. While I have taken about a 25% stepdown in speed, which I haven't noticed in my internet use except for the speedtest results, I have also reduced my internet bill by approx 50%. I'm OK with that...actually, I'm happy with that.

I had the same feeling, Dork... I only resort to their online chat usually when I can't get thru to anyone on the phone...

Meanwhile, via a yet another phone call to True Online and 15 mins of hold time first, I believe I've now gotten to the bottom of the mystery about this.... and some of the unanswered questions...

1. Re the True Online Fixed Line Plus phone service via cable, the True Online CSR confirmed that their 200 baht per month calling credit only applies to calls to other True numbers... Calls to non True numbers such as AIS or DTAC or TOT would be billed at THREE BAHT per minute!!!!

2. Re the TrueVisions TV component of the package, the rep checked and finally answered back that the promotion's 72 channel package is basically the same as the TrueVisions Knowledge package... except, they're deleting the True Movie Hits and True Sports 2 channels to get from 74 to 72 channels. That's why there's the discrepancy in the channel totals. And yes, the service is via cable... no mini satellite dishes involved.

So, in the wake of that, I told the True Online people to cancel my scheduled Triple Play promo package install, and instead, I'll stick for now with the basic 14 Mbps / 1.4 Mbps cable internet service that I already have for 699 baht per month... But it really makes me wonder, why is the world is True pricing the 15 Mbps / 1.5 Mbps Internet only package at 899 baht per month.... 200 baht extra per month for that???

Yeap, details/the fine print you have rooted out adds new new light on the Triple Play promotion, especially the phone portion...but it effectively does give a person a landline. I wonder if a person could fax on the DOCSIS landline since it basically operating like VOIP phone and many fax machines, like my older fax machine, don't have the VOIP fax mode....just the standard phone line POTS fax capability.

The 14Mb and 15Mb packages with the 15Mb package have a significantly higher price but only being 1Mb faster puzzles me, but I expect True feels they will get X-amount of new customers with the plan. But each person's situation is different in terms of internet, TV,and phone needs so hopefully the variety of plans will cover most everyone's needs. Cheers.

Interesting...with my 14Mb plan I now get different results on DSLReport depending on whether I have the True proxy turned On or Off. Before on my 20Mb plan I would get the same results regardless of proxy turned on or off.

DSLReports speedtest results to L.A. at 7:40pm with True proxy turned OFF.

post-55970-0-13508900-1350045601_thumb.j

DSLReports speedtest results to L.A. at 7:41pm with True proxy turned ON.

post-55970-0-19542000-1350045621_thumb.j

Me thinks DSLReports may be providing skewed results on my 14Mb plan when testing with proxy turned off....but the ping time is valid with or without the proxy server.

Edited by Pib

Pib, from what I've been reading and seeing lately with my own speed testing, the Java variety of tests seem to render more accurate results than the Flash based ones.... At least, that's certainly been my experience. Give the Java version of the DSL Reports speed test to L.A. a try with the True proxy on and off, and let folks know how those numbers fare....

I've never seen a real 8 Mbps single stream download rate for a Thailand to U.S. connection with True's cable internet service.

Just one final speedtest post for the night for my new DOCSIS 14Mb down/1.4Mb up plan. This is a test to a Bangkok server (I'm in Bangkok) as I just want to ensure I'm getting the full "in-Thailand" speed on the plan.

2237374912.png

As you see, my plan is actually working at 15Mb/1.6Mb. I might get a little better speed if I was hardwired to the router, but I'm on Wifi with my 802.11G True-provided Wifi router upstairs and my laptop downstairs.

And after another couple of hours of web page surging and emailing, I can't perceive any speed difference in how fast web pages load, emails download/upload, etc., between this plan and my previous DOCSIS 20Mb/2Mb plan which actually gave me 21.4Mb/2.4Mb.

But then, just cuz I was thinking, I rebooted my cable modem and tried the same speed test again... a moment later...and got not the 14/1.4 result the CSR had promised but the slightly better 15/1.5 result (the same one promised in the True Online/TrueVisions combo promotion that I'd been asking them about, but not yet signed up for.)post-58284-0-35761200-1349776305_thumb.j

Pib, pretty identical to the BKK local speedtest I ran yesterday after rebooting my cable modem to operate under the new 14 Mbps rated plan.

And as of 11:30 pm tonight, my run of the DSL Reports Java speedtest to Los Angeles likewise showed almost an identical result to the comparable test you posted earlier in the evening -- right around 2 Mbps down.

post-58284-0-06917000-1350059934_thumb.j

No chnage for my True, still on 7mbps for a 599THB account advertised as 10mbps on their web site - time to start complaining yet?>?

Probably need to power cycle your modem for it to take effect if they already switched it on from TRUE. If that doesn't do it, just call 1686 and ask.

True told me the upgrade is an automated process that will take until the end of the year, so that's why I am still on 7mbps. They allowed me to apply for the 10mbps package to avoid the upgrade wait at same price, which only takes 4 days! Still waiting on day 2.

OK, after using my True DOCSIS 14Mb down/1.4Mb up plan (B699/mo) for almost three days since switching from my True 20Mb/2Mb plan (B1,299/mo) other than lower "in-Thailand" speed results I can't tell any difference in day-to-day internet browsing, emailing, live video streaming, etc. I'm not really into torrents nor do I do much file downloading using a download manager, but last night I downloaded a 118Mb sized file to update my Norton 360 program and the file smoothly and quickly downloaded. I've also sent approx 45 minutes just viewing YouTube clips and the clips flowed smoothly with no pausing...just like with my previous 20Mb plan. Yeap, can't really tell in difference in my day-to-day internet needs.

As mentioned, absolutely no problem in getting 14Mb/1.4Mb "in-Thailand (actually 15M/1.6Mb). And when using a "Java-based" speedtest program or a speedtest program which randomizes the data download to prevent bogus results caused by in-country caching servers, I get around a 2.5Mb download speed to the Central U.S.A., which is the same I was gettng with my 20Mb plan. Now if using "Flash/OOKLA-based" speedtest programs I can easily get bogus/faster-than-light results expecially for ping time and download speed. Even the DSLReports Flash-based speed tester which says it's accurate for xDSL/cable is apparently now giving high/bogus download speeds even throught the ping time and upload speed appear valid....guess caching servers are now confusing DSLReports Flash speedtester...the same caching servers that commonly make Speedtest.net (probably the most popular--but easily fooled speedtester) results bogus.

But the DSLReports Java-based speedtester appears to give valid download and upload speeds and are pretty much in sync with the Testmy.net speedtester....nice and simple speedtester....I like it. Thanks to the earlier poster(s) identifying this speedtester. Below is a today/approx 1:30pm download result from Testmy.net to the Central USA (default setting...but you can change to the East Coast, West Coast, or Europe) using the SmarTest-Automatic test.....I just used all the default setting in case some other want to compare apples to apples. Also some good, layman info on Testmy.net talking about how many speedtesters can give inaccurate results, expecially Flash-based testers like OOKLA testers (i.e., speedtest.net), DSL Report Flash speedtester, etc. Give Testmy.net a try...you might like it....but the truth may hurt in the international speeds it reports to the U.S. or Europe....but it's better you know the truth versus thinking the bogus/faster-than-light speedtest.net results are accurate. Preaching to the choir to many I know.

post-55970-0-46501100-1350197178_thumb.j

Been doing a lot of speed testing with the new True Online cable 14 Mbps plan I was upgraded to in the past week from the former 10 Mbps plan.

Thus far, the results have been pretty good to the West Coast U.S., which is the international destination I use as my main yardstick.

I'm not sure why the change, but at least this week, the international speeds I've been getting in the evenings here on BKK local time haven't been dropping off compared to daytime numbers nearly as much as they regularly were before under the 10 Mbps plan. Dunno if that's a temporary situation or an ongoing change.

Much to my surprise, the speed tests show I was getting 1.6 to 2 Mbps down even at 9 pm here local time, which is great for my purposes, and plenty fast enough for the video streaming I do.

Here's the results from 9 pm last night:

DSLReports L.A. - 1.97 Mbps

post-58284-0-17859000-1350354855_thumb.j

MS USA 2.02 Mbps

post-58284-0-01135900-1350354857_thumb.j

West Coast USA - 1.6 Mbps

post-58284-0-75875500-1350354858_thumb.j

Here's the results I got last night for video streaming from the U.S., both with a direct connection and using an L.A. based proxy.

Video streaming direct at 8 pm BKK time - avg xfer rate 867 Kbps

post-58284-0-09281900-1350355166_thumb.j

Video streaming via an L.A. proxy at 8 pm BKK time - avg xfer rate 1.36 Mbps

post-58284-0-95091300-1350355166_thumb.j

And here's the daytime speedtest results from yesterday, to compare how they match up vs. the evening results:

DSL Reports L.A. 9 am - 2 Mbps

post-58284-0-48064900-1350355472_thumb.j

DSL Reports L.A. 9:30 am - 1.98 Mbps

post-58284-0-90160900-1350355471_thumb.j

MS USA 9 am - 2.49 Mbps

post-58284-0-28737100-1350355474_thumb.j

MS USA 10 am - 2.22 Mbps

post-58284-0-35858100-1350355471_thumb.j

West Coast USA 9 am - 1.7 Mbps

post-58284-0-89866400-1350355476_thumb.j

West Coast USA 9:30 am - 1.8 Mbps

post-58284-0-61500100-1350355479_thumb.j

On my True DOCSIS 14Mb/1.4Mb plan using the testmy.net speedtester at around 2pm today I got 2.5Mb to Central U.S., 1.8Mb to West Coast, 1.5Mb to East Coast, and 1.6Mb to Europe. I've noticed that I always get a faster speed to their Central U.S. server than the other servers. I'm in western Bangkok.

Most of the time when I use testmy.net I just use the default setting which tests to the Central U.S. and I get in the 2.3 to 2.6Mb range, day or night. And it pretty much matches ups with what I get using DSLReports Java-based speedtester.

I also did a DSLReports Java-based speed test to their L.A. server at around 2:05pm and got a 2.023Mb download speed. I then immediately did a DSLReports Flash-based speed test to their L.A. server and got 1.742Mb. But I'm somewhat gun shy of using their Flash-based tester now since a few days ago it was giving my speed results about 3 times higher than their Java speedtester....and some flash/OOKLA speed testers are much more susceptible to bogus download speed and ping time results so now I try to avoid Flash/OOKLA based speed testers to include the most popular speedtester of Speedtest.net....with Speedtest.net I can pretty much faster-than-light ping time and high download speeds to pretty much any server on Earth since its being fooled by local cache servers.