Where Has The Best Coffee In Cm?

Rob8891

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a vague one for the adventurous: Coffee shop in a soi off Nimmanheimin. More or less opposite one of the best Thai barbeque chicken places in town. If you drive into Nimman from Suthep Rd, keep going until you see a wall with wagon wheels on your left hand side. Turn left into the soi immediately after the wall and it will be your first coffee shop on the left hand side. Not much of an atmosphere, but the best coffee I've had in town so far.

Ristra88 ... nice, but a tad overpriced for what I reckon is a smaller cup than most places. 45b I reckon should be a bench mark price for somewhere like CM. I do hope it raises the bar for some of the other shops who think they can layout for a 250k b machine and think those 5b coffe;s they make will bring home the bacon forever.

Nobody drinks coffee because it tastes good. People drink coffee because it is a mild stimulant, a mildly addictive drug. All this nonsense about great coffee and elaborate preparation is all an excuse to cover up and rationalize a harmless mild addiction to a relatively bitter bean that the most people need to alter with sweeteners and other flavors to get it gown their gullet. I drink coffee every morning for the same reason that many of my friends end the day with a drink or a toke, because it makes me feel good, not because it tastes great.

Ristr8to offers high quality beans from around the world, so given that, I don't believe their prices are too high. However, it is not the most comfortable coffee shop and the "balcony" is not for the faint of heart.

I agree. They charge 88bht for a coffee made from quality imported beans. I wonder if the people saying this is too expensive have bought a good coffee in a major western city lately... or even starbucks (that mud water they serve sure is expensive)

Whether you are in Chiang Mai, London or Sydney beans brought in from Colombia (for example) are going to be expensive. I would argue that given the smaller market here it could even be more expensive to get them in Chiang Mai than in one of the above mentioned cities, given the lack of a economy of scale for the distributor(s).

If someone can do a coffee the same as at Ristr8tto for 45baht then they will have my custom on a regular basis. However, having sampled the coffee that is available for 45baht, I doubt its happening any time soon (unless the Thai baht suddenly appreciates in value considerably! thumbsup.gif )

coffee1.gif

Edited by DaBloodyMess
  • Like 1

Nobody drinks coffee because it tastes good. People drink coffee because it is a mild stimulant, a mildly addictive drug. All this nonsense about great coffee and elaborate preparation is all an excuse to cover up and rationalize a harmless mild addiction to a relatively bitter bean that the most people need to alter with sweeteners and other flavors to get it gown their gullet. I drink coffee every morning for the same reason that many of my friends end the day with a drink or a toke, because it makes me feel good, not because it tastes great.

I disagree... I drink coffee because I like the tast, and so am choosy about where I drink it. Yes, it can be addictive, and years back I used to have headaches and god-knows-what if I didn't have coffee by 9am every day. Not any more. I enjoy coffee at breakfast time usually, but not necessarily every day. If I was addicted I would drink Nnnnnnn Nes,....Nesca.....DAM_N I just CANNOT bring myself to say the word......or I would even resort to Mickey D's for "coffee".

Simple answer, I enjoy the taste of good coffee, and will not drink <deleted> for the sake of it.

• Like 1

I see myself as a bit of an aficionado,having lived on the Mediterranean for many,many years!

For the best setting and good coffee you should try the Fern Forest Cafe,at the back of the Old City within the moat,not far from the hospital on the corner of Kad Suan Kaew.

Personally,I used to have my daily fix at Segafredo's,an Italian cafe franchise next to Tops in Central Airport Plaza,great Tuna Paninis with capers too,I just love capers!

I can tell you that the S & P Bakery chain's main stores do Blue Cup Coffee,which is also excellent.There's one at the front of Rimping next to the river and Narawat Bridge and also next to the petrol station on the moat road,not far from the turnoff to Tops,Rajapat University and the Mercure Hotel.

As for people quoting 25 and 45 baht a cup,do you want cheap coffee or do you want good coffee?rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Clueless,is that a bottle of cheap whisky on your profile picture?Explains a lot!rolleyes.gif

Fern Forrest is a nice setting, but I can't get over the mosquitos! All the greenery and the water effect just breed millions of them. Coffee is good, but Thom's is still a step above. Never tried the S&P, but will have to stop next time I go by.

I see myself as a bit of an aficionado,having lived on the Mediterranean for many,many years!

For the best setting and good coffee you should try the Fern Forest Cafe,at the back of the Old City within the moat,not far from the hospital on the corner of Kad Suan Kaew.

Personally,I used to have my daily fix at Segafredo's,an Italian cafe franchise next to Tops in Central Airport Plaza,great Tuna Paninis with capers too,I just love capers!

I can tell you that the S & P Bakery chain's main stores do Blue Cup Coffee,which is also excellent.There's one at the front of Rimping next to the river and Narawat Bridge and also next to the petrol station on the moat road,not far from the turnoff to Tops,Rajapat University and the Mercure Hotel.

As for people quoting 25 and 45 baht a cup,do you want cheap coffee or do you want good coffee?rolleyes.gif

Fern Forrest is a nice setting, but I can't get over the mosquitos! All the greenery and the water effect just breed millions of them. Coffee is good, but Thom's is still a step above. Never tried the S&P, but will have to stop next time I go by.

Yes I like fern forest but the mosquitoes keep me away and even when covered in mosquito repellent they find places to get me.

Funny but in the US I was a real coffee nut.

Grinding the best beans at home & I was looking for the best

at gourmet shops while out. drinking at little specialty shops

Now here in Thailand I drink Nescafe 3in1 in the mornings

& Nescafe iced can coffee while out smile.png

I guess since now I am in a condo it is just easier in the mornings.

When I am out & about hot coffee is just too hot given the climate

& ice coffee has too much heavy cream for me.

While Nescafe ice coffee has skimmed milk.

Ah well smile.png

Know the feeling.

Maybe it's just the fact that there aren't many places to chose from for the best beans. I go with Doi Chang Organic beans, not that expensive, but takes sometimes in the morning. In a rush nescafe can does the trick too.

I like mine " Red Eye" - a regular with a shot of espresso. in the morning.

Yes I like fern forest but the mosquitoes keep me away and even when covered in mosquito repellent they find places to get me.

I like the Fern Forest too and the Doctor is a very nice guy although it's odd he doesn't speak any English. But I too, can't handle the crazy amount of mosquitoes there and honestly the coffee at what 60-80 Baht? is over-priced. It's just O.K. coffee nothing special.

I like the Fern Forest too and the Doctor is a very nice guy although it's odd he doesn't speak any English. But I too, can't handle the crazy amount of mosquitoes there and honestly the coffee at what 60-80 Baht? is over-priced. It's just O.K. coffee nothing special.

I agree about the coffee,the setting outweighs the quality of coffee by far,I've never noticed the mosquitos too much.Are you talking about daytime or nightime?

Segafredo's is the best,plenty of outlets in Bangkok to drink it also,most Central Malls seem to have one.thumbsup.gif

Clueless,is that a bottle of cheap whisky on your profile picture?Explains a lot!rolleyes.gif

Excuse me, but back in the day Mae Khong was the high end alcoholic drink of Thailand, The masses could only afford to drink lao khao or the lesser and now forgotten brands like Hong Ngen or Hong Thong. What is cheap or dear, and the associated social perceptions, is all about marketing. And that is why so many high end brands, and it is all about the branding, fail to pass muster in blind taste tests. And thus McDonald's coffee can place higher than Starbucks or that Two Buck Chuck, in blind taste tests, beats out wine from the more limited production wineries that sell for 10x the cost. But yes, I really do prefer to drink traditional Thai rums like Mae Khong or Sang Som because that is what I have been drinking for the last 30 years. I find western style whiskey and scotch to be revolting. I am sorry that you find my personal tastes to be an offense to your own so very refined sensibilities. I do hope that your prejudices end with these trivial life choices and do not extend to matters such as race, religion, or politics.

• Like 1

Excuse me, but back in the day Mae Khong was the high end alcoholic drink of Thailand, The masses could only afford to drink lao khao or the lesser and now forgotten brands like Hong Ngen or Hong Thong. What is cheap or dear, and the associated social perceptions, is all about marketing. And that is why so many high end brands, and it is all about the branding, fail to pass muster in blind taste tests. And thus McDonald's coffee can place higher than Starbucks or that Two Buck Chuck, in blind taste tests, beats out wine from the more limited production wineries that sell for 10x the cost. But yes, I really do prefer to drink traditional Thai rums like Mae Khong or Sang Som because that is what I have been drinking for the last 30 years. I find western style whiskey and scotch to be revolting. I am sorry that you find my personal tastes to be an offense to your own so very refined sensibilities. I do hope that your prejudices end with these trivial life choices and do not extend to matters such as race, religion, or politics.

In the same way that "the best coffee" is hugely subjective, so is the concept of "scotch". Blends vary hugely, but the differences between single malts is to my mind far more significant. I like the peaty flavours of an Islay malt, (Bowmore in particular), but cannot abide what to me is the sharp taste of a Spey malt.

As an American, I'd say the worst coffee (cafe') I've ever had was in Paris until I stumbled into a Burger King on the Champs Elysees. All that means is that I have lousy taste in coffee and can drink anything as long as it's American coffee shop style.

I make my coffee in a US$25 coffee maker and it's Folgers from a discount chain called Costco. So what would I know?

To answer your question I'd try Burger King or McDonalds and be happy.

Had to skip ahead to many answers to how long is a piece of string.

But I am curios is the Champs Elysees not in Paris?

Are you serious,you're trying to provoke me now?I have no time whatsoever for the 'eternal victim' type whingers like you,I find them extremely boring and generally parasitic also!

Are you serious,you're trying to provoke me now?I have no time whatsoever for the 'eternal victim' type whingers like you,I find them extremely boring and generally parasitic also!

On a coffee thread it sounds like you both have been drinking some thing else far to long.giggle.gif

On a coffee thread it sounds like you both have been drinking some thing else far to long.giggle.gif

If you read through the thread you'll see that this idiot has come onto a thread about the best coffee in Chiang Mai just to tell us all,in his infinite wisdom,that it all tastes the same!

What an utterly ridiculous statement,so fresh ground Jamaican Blue Mountain or Peaberry tastes the same as Nescafe does it?Why even bother coming on here and commenting,waste of space?rolleyes.gif

"If you read through the thread you'll see that this idiot has come onto a thread about the best coffee in Chiang Mai just to tell us all,in his infinite wisdom,that it all tastes the same!"

Where?

If you read through the thread you'll see that this idiot has come onto a thread about the best coffee in Chiang Mai just to tell us all,in his infinite wisdom,that it all tastes the same!

What an utterly ridiculous statement,so fresh ground Jamaican Blue Mountain or Peaberry tastes the same as Nescafe does it?Why even bother coming on here and commenting,waste of space?rolleyes.gif

^^Here^^rolleyes.gif

Have you read the quote?

you said "If you read through the thread you'll see that this idiot has come onto a thread about the best coffee in Chiang Mai just to tell us all,in his infinite wisdom,that it all tastes the same!"

His quote DOES NOT say anything like that. He states that the underlying reason for drinking coffee is for the stimulant. He NEVER said they all taste the same.

^^Here^^rolleyes.gif

Have you read the quote?

you said "If you read through the thread you'll see that this idiot has come onto a thread about the best coffee in Chiang Mai just to tell us all,in his infinite wisdom,that it all tastes the same!"

His quote DOES NOT say anything like that. He states that the underlying reason for drinking coffee is for the stimulant. He NEVER said they all taste the same.

^^Here^^rolleyes.gif

I think the string is 8.948571 inches long

• Like 2

Have you read the quote?

^^Here^^rolleyes.gif

I think the string is 8.948571 inches long

Wonder what colour the moons are on CMSteve's planet?coffee1.gif

I like the coffee at Mee Mee in Ruam Chok market (next market up from Rimping Mee Chok).

Their hot latte at 30bht takes some beating. Good Thai food (strong Burmese influence) too.

The perfect end to a Sunday wander around the m/c market.

Not to forget the Sala Cafe in the hills behind Mae Rim, 50bht for a hot latte in a perfect Lanna setting.

Coffee in CM tends to be a little bitter, dunno why.

But driving up Suthep road, across Canal road, down the first soy on the left. Very busy student coffee bar, again 30bht for a very good hot latte.

Edited by TommoPhysicist