Where Has The Best Coffee In Cm?

Rob8891

Have you read the quote?

you said "If you read through the thread you'll see that this idiot has come onto a thread about the best coffee in Chiang Mai just to tell us all,in his infinite wisdom,that it all tastes the same!"

His quote DOES NOT say anything like that. He states that the underlying reason for drinking coffee is for the stimulant. He NEVER said they all taste the same.

Nobody drinks coffee because it tastes good. People drink coffee because it is a mild stimulant, a mildly addictive drug. All this nonsense about great coffee and elaborate preparation is all an excuse to cover up and rationalize a harmless mild addiction to a relatively bitter bean that the most people need to alter with sweeteners and other flavors to get it gown their gullet. I drink coffee every morning for the same reason that many of my friends end the day with a drink or a toke, because it makes me feel good, not because it tastes great.

^^Here^^rolleyes.gif

Wonder what colour the moons are on CMSteve's planet?coffee1.gif

Get over yourselves, <deleted>! It's a simple thread about where people like to drink coffee.... to see if there is any update on the previous thread, not a petty squabble in the school playground. Play nicely, will youse?

Sheesh! It does not seem to matter what the topic is, some people think Tv is Muat Thai Visa and that fighting is obligatory. Can you not see that no one really cares what you want to split hairs over? PM each other. Marry each other. Get a room. Get a bloody life!

Rant (due entirely to a lack of caffein) now over whistling.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look on Trip Advisor

Yes, that is a possibility, but hit & miss because a tourist's view tends to be a snapshot. Much better, however, to get the views of people who are in CM long-term and know many more places than ethereal tourists.

The # 1 rated restaurant on Trip Adviser in CM is a coffee shop and its brilliant.

That's as may be, but it's a circular argument. You haven't addressed my point at all. Mai pen rai.....not worth falling out over! wink.png

Bloody hell! This thread has turned out even worse than the tipping at 7/11 thread!

I buy my coffee at Hilkoff, 500g bags of good stuff for under 300B, choose your bean. Thais like it dark roasted, I prefer it light roasted, so usually go for their 'City' brand, 100% Arabica. I'm sure there is better, but for the price I'm happy.

The best coffee in CM is at Luang Phabang @ Wat Pong Noi. I've been going there, not every day but at least a few times every week, for the past 5 years. The coffee is great, and I'm a picky coffee snob so I'm not easily impressed. They also have locally made cookies, various thai khanoms and jams that are delicious and, best of all, cheap.

It's well worth a trip out of the city to get your coffee here!

With all the problems finding the best coffee in Chiang Mai I am glad I don't drink it any more.

When I did drink it it was real coffee not this stuff people pay big bucks for today. Just plain a coffee bean ground up run through a peculator poured in a cup and no need to put anything else in it.

With all the problems finding the best coffee in Chiang Mai I am glad I don't drink it any more.

When I did drink it it was real coffee not this stuff people pay big bucks for today. Just plain a coffee bean ground up run through a peculator poured in a cup and no need to put anything else in it.

Yup.... I can't say I like any form of pollution in my coffee. If it is good coffee,(for me, that means dark roast beans) it doesn't need anything else.

The best coffee in CM is at Luang Phabang @ Wat Pong Noi. I've been going there, not every day but at least a few times every week, for the past 5 years. The coffee is great, and I'm a picky coffee snob so I'm not easily impressed. They also have locally made cookies, various thai khanoms and jams that are delicious and, best of all, cheap.

How much?

Oh, found it, no wi-fi so won't be going.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

How much?

Oh, found it, no wi-fi so won't be going.

Is this what this thread has come to no wi-fi so don't go there. So much for the best coffee in town.

Nobody drinks coffee because it tastes good. People drink coffee because it is a mild stimulant, a mildly addictive drug. All this nonsense about great coffee and elaborate preparation is all an excuse to cover up and rationalize a harmless mild addiction to a relatively bitter bean that the most people need to alter with sweeteners and other flavors to get it gown their gullet. I drink coffee every morning for the same reason that many of my friends end the day with a drink or a toke, because it makes me feel good, not because it tastes great.

^^Here^^rolleyes.gif

Obviously not everyone drinks for the caffeine otherwise decaff wouldn't exist.

• 1 month later...

I am a coffee addict, thank God, but I refuse to drink the stuff that is generally served up in 7-11s and most restaurants in Thailand. I'll go without. I now order roasted beans from a place near Lampang, they roast it the way I want and it costs ฿500.- a Kilo. I am not stupid and my tastes buds have not been destroyed by eating and drinking McDonald's invalid fare for years. We take the coffee plunger and a water cooker with us on our trips.

By the way the powdered coffee is full of additives that won't do you any good if that is what you mean by 'coffee'. (It isn't coffee).

• Like 1

1) Nompung coffee - Sarmlarn Road next to Oasis Spa...pips joint number 2 on price.

2) Ristr8to/Pacamara.

Consistency is important as well.....forget the franchise places.Staff come and go no real barista training.

3) Good Morning Chiang Mai

Going to try Ahka Ama now as I have seen it menioned a few times. Thom coffee was just good for me. It's personal, so we have a wide spread of places on the thread.

Edited by freedomnow

Bloody hell! This thread has turned out even worse than the tipping at 7/11 thread!

I buy my coffee at Hilkoff, 500g bags of good stuff for under 300B, choose your bean. Thais like it dark roasted, I prefer it light roasted, so usually go for their 'City' brand, 100% Arabica. I'm sure there is better, but for the price I'm happy.

Yes, we were just there today. We like the French Roast and use a French press to make coffee. It's been a long time since we actually had a nice cup - I think maybe the last time was at, I can't remember the name, Liberand or something like that. Somewhere near Mike's burger on the east side of the moat.

Edited by just_Elaine

Just out of curiosity how many of the people who say a place is great would like the same coffee if they were in a dump with garbage all around them?

To be great, it has to have free wifi, and passing eye-candy.

To be great, it has to have free wifi, and passing eye-candy.

I hear that. The coffee quality has always been firmly below those items on my priority list.

Two incredibly shallow and totally irrelevant to the quality of the coffee, which is what the OP was all about. Are you sure you're old enough to be out alone, let alone drink coffee?

• Like 1

@Brodie Don't worry about Tommo, he escapes from his cage from time to time....sometimes best to ignore him!

Hellodolly....... I think you have taken a different tack from my original intention. Maybe I could have worded the op more clearly in hindsight. I was really enquiring about the best quality coffee. If a coffee house was as you described, then I for one would not go there to try the coffee!

@Brodie Don't worry about Tommo, he escapes from his cage from time to time....sometimes best to ignore him!

Hellodolly....... I think you have taken a different tack from my original intention. Maybe I could have worded the op more clearly in hindsight. I was really enquiring about the best quality coffee. If a coffee house was as you described, then I for one would not go there to try the coffee!

That being the case you might not find the best coffee in Chiang Mai.

But then again the best coffee in Chiang Mai is an individual choice. I would presume you were talking about black coffee with nothing added to change it's taste.

Spot on, dolly... black coffee, (no pollution)....My preference is for a dark roast, like what we would call in the UK 'a french blend'...Originally I didn't want to state a preference, otherwise it would come down to "please find me somewhere to drink my sort of coffee". I think I posted later on that I like the Rich Coffee House to the east of Chang Puak Gate....nice clean environment too!