Street Smart Thais And Their Sneaky Scams

krisb

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I fell for the 'temple is closed today' scam (whilst on holiday), and my ex-husband fell for the 'my g/f was not a b/g, she was just working in a bar to earn money for her family'.

Think the second scam could be more expensive biggrin.png

It was, for both of us - but not for the usual reasons.

The usual line is " she is only the cashier, she doesn't go with customers, only me "

They say thai ladies are good at fleecing the Farang but the ex wives back in the UK could teach them all a thing or two whistling.gif

The old saying " hell hath no fury like a woman scorned " Is so true

I always said I was never going to get married again. just find a woman I didn't like and buy her a house thumbsup.gif

The house I didn't mind but selling my 1972 Kawasaki Z900 hurt real bad sad.png

Let me see, there's that restaurant on Sukhumvit where the actual price of the food is 7% higher than advertised, that certainly must be a scam -

Actually, for many people who come from countries where the advertised price is what you pay, it is a sort of "scam" to add 17% to the bill (tax + service charge).

I remember, once I sat in an airport restaurant, and a shocked foreigner approached me. He said, he spent all remaining Baht in this restaurant, but then they added 17% and if I could exchange 2-3 US$ for him. I helped him out, but it reminded me, that in a lot of countries this sort surprise adding to the bill is prohibited as "trickery advertising".

• Like 1

I have been continually scammed 2/5 baht for using toilets only to find out there is no toilet paper.

Now you're confusing scams with culture. sad.png

I'm not sure about that. However, I am also appalled that they leave a drinking hose in the toilet

• Like 2

I scammed the scammer.

Buying a cute wig for Hallowean i was told the price is 850 baht. When i pointed out it was 550 at pratunam acrosd the street he said they are brand goods only at his shop.

He walks off, i go to buy the wig. His colleague asks how much his colleague asked for. Oh.... It was 450 baht, i said. And that's how much i paid.

As for the scam tried on me once.

Declining to pay the 50 Baht for the 'organised' taxi rank at the Airport I went to the arrivals deck and grabbed a Taxi which was exiting passengers.

The meter was no problem, but the 'flagfall' button was pressed several times ... eventually recording 70 Baht instead of the usual 35.

A little bit of Thai, and an apology from the Taxi driver, reset to correct amount and everyone happy, though me more then him.

I like the Thais ... they scam you, but smile at the same time ... biggrin.png

Yep thats a nice example you got there of the sneaky variety. All for 35 baht. Im sure if he was a nice taxi driver you would have tipped him until the little sleight of hand with the meter trick.

+1Yep, you picked it

Let me see, there's that restaurant on Sukhumvit where the actual price of the food is 7% higher than advertised, that certainly must be a scam

Could that ' 7% ' be the government's VAT?

Unlike western nations, they don't advertise it in the asking price.

Just supposing ...

Whoooosh......

Yep ... I played that as well as the aussies did in the 20/20 cricket last night ... goof.gif

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

I fell for the 'temple is closed today' scam (whilst on holiday), and my ex-husband fell for the 'my g/f was not a b/g, she was just working in a bar to earn money for her family'.

Think the second scam could be more expensive biggrin.png

It was, for both of us - but not for the usual reasons.

The usual line is " she is only the cashier, she doesn't go with customers, only me "

They say thai ladies are good at fleecing the Farang but the ex wives back in the UK could teach them all a thing or two whistling.gif

The old saying " hell hath no fury like a woman scorned " Is so true

I always said I was never going to get married again. just find a woman I didn't like and buy her a house thumbsup.gif

The house I didn't mind but selling my 1972 Kawasaki Z900 hurt real bad sad.png

As an ex-wife (from the UK), I seriously resent your comment.

I allowed him to owe me money (!), but admittedly only 'cos I didn't actually know what was going on for a few months...

I'm sorry but I do find this very amusing. To me a scam is where you are taken for a lump of money. Here we have a thread where people have been SCAMMED for 11 baht, 35 baht, 50 baht etc.

Real big time scammers we have in the Land of Scams then cheesy.gif

Sorry but come on now ?sorry.gif

It's like my dad used to say, look after the satang and the baht will look after themselves.

Was your dad Thai?

Again how is buying a Rolex watch for 1000 Baht a scam in the first place ?

Buying a 1000 Baht Rolex for 250,000 baht is a scam but not the first.

I have found that having lived here for several years people always call everything a scam even when it isn't.

Scam artists work in every city. And they fleece gullible idiots for thousands. The scam works because the person getting scammed is greedy and thinks he is getting the better part of the deal. He isn't but that is why it works.

A few extra Baht from a taxi ride or food hall happens the world over and always will.

I charge more for renting my villa to a Russian or Chinese than I do for renting t Brit or American. It isn't a scam but I have learned that the russians or the Chinese will cause me more grief than the others so I charge accordingly. No scam just economics ! wink.png

Count your change. I was at a local ta-lat in CM buying some man-falang, the price came to 30 baht, I handed over 2 twenty baht notes. The vendor took them, popped them into her little cash box smiled and went about serving the next customer. I pointer out her 'error" and she profusely apologized with wai after wai and a seemingly embarrassed giggle. About ten minutes later, as I moved through the market and near her stall again, I watched her do the same song and dance with the next falang to come along. Basically she trade 10 baht for potentially 1,000s of baht in lost future business from me and the guy I watched her play the same game with, seriously dumb. Anyway, count your change.

Count your change. I was at a local ta-lat in CM buying some man-falang, the price came to 30 baht, I handed over 2 twenty baht notes. The vendor took them, popped them into her little cash box smiled and went about serving the next customer. I pointer out her 'error" and she profusely apologized with wai after wai and a seemingly embarrassed giggle. About ten minutes later, as I moved through the market and near her stall again, I watched her do the same song and dance with the next falang to come along. Basically she trade 10 baht for potentially 1,000s of baht in lost future business from me and the guy I watched her play the same game with, seriously dumb. Anyway, count your change.

Yes, I've seen that at the local market too.

It's usually tried on people they haven't seen before.

cool.png After reading about being shortchanged at the market, It made me think about an incident I had years ago. I used to go to the 7-11 and buy something with a 1000 Baht Bill because they usually were able to make change. One time the girl behind the counter handed my change. Instead of just putting it in my pocket ,(because it is rude to count your chnge in front of the clerk in Asia) I counted it and noticed it was 100 Baht short. I pointed it out to her and very emotionless and quickly she picked up a 100 Baht and handed it to me. Not from the register but was stashed on the side. Had I just put the change in my pocket she would have made a quick 100. This was not in some faraway province but right in Hua HIn where almost half the customers were Farangs. I'm sure she made a pretty good haul.

LL

DONT leave your common sense in the departure lounge !

Unfortunately you can't protect people from their own stupidity. There are still idiots falling for Nigerian scams.

Most want to believe they are the greatest lover around and hansum. So they fall for everything a girl tells them they think with their wrong head. If you can't score at home you better realise that landing here did not transform you into the greatest guy in the world. Lies are being told to get to your money

You won´t believe what a few years in the land of smiles can do to a guy with low self-esteem. I have seen many non attractive western guys transform into thinking they are the Casanova of the century.

It is amusing.

The problem is when they are getting scammed and as a result of that, lose their whole life savings, that´s when I feel sorry for them.

DONT leave your common sense in the departure lounge !

Unfortunately you can't protect people from their own stupidity. There are still idiots falling for Nigerian scams.

Most want to believe they are the greatest lover around and hansum. So they fall for everything a girl tells them they think with their wrong head. If you can't score at home you better realise that landing here did not transform you into the greatest guy in the world. Lies are being told to get to your money

You won´t believe what a few years in the land of smiles can do to a guy with low self-esteem. I have seen many non attractive western guys transform into thinking they are the Casanova of the century.

It is amusing.

The problem is when they are getting scammed and as a result of that, lose their whole life savings, that´s when I feel sorry for them.

You probably don't really know anyone personally who has been scammed. And two I would be hard pressed to believe you actually felt sorry for them. More like, "I told you so."

Again how is buying a Rolex watch for 1000 Baht a scam in the first place ?

Buying a 1000 Baht Rolex for 250,000 baht is a scam but not the first.

Good points.

Oh my goodness. Why does everything have to be taken so literally? Of course it would only be a scam if the person buying it actually believed it was real. As if you could buy a genuine Rolex for a 1000 baht.

Edited by giddyup

Watching the old, blind karaoke singer walking along the beach with his wife rattling a tin cup stepping over mooring ropes for the longtail boats always brought a wry smile to my face. whistling.gif

Must have been the same blind Karaoke singer I saw,sorting out the 1 bahts from the larger coins,while consulting his wrist watch.

If you can't score at home you better realise that landing here did not transform you into the greatest guy in the world. Lies are being told to get to your money.

+1

Edit. If you can't score at home, avoid Thailand and work on your appearance, personality & confidence.

Edited by Mozambique

I have been continually scammed 2/5 baht for using toilets only to find out there is no toilet paper.

Now you're confusing scams with culture. sad.png

I'm not sure about that. However, I am also appalled that they leave a drinking hose in the toilet

I'm gonna complain about the toilet paper on the dining table. sad.png

It's called tissue in Thailand.