Uk Visa Fees Up From 8 October 2012

UKBA have put up their fees from this coming Monday. They say it is due to exchange rate changes.

I have been trying to access the website for the new fees, but it's not working for me. My calculations make the new fees (UKBA Thailand are using 52 THB to the GBP ) :

Visit visa - 4046 THB

Settlement visa - 42,952 THB

Edited by VisasPlus

Yes Tony, the new rate is based on 52 Baht to the Pound, the Consular Fees are still showing 50, but no doubt they will update that soon.

You have to love their timing, the GBP moves up slightly against the Baht and when it seems to reach a peak, they add a couple of Baht and set their fees at that rate, just as the Baht is stregthening again.

Now if they would pay my pension at 52, I would be content.

These are the new rates for the most common visa types, at the new rate of GBP 1 to 52 THB, I make that a 4% increase.

General and family visitors Visa application fee

Short-term (up to 6 months, single or multiple entry) 4056 THB

Longer-term (valid for up to 2 years) 14040 THB

Longer-term (valid for up to 5 years) 25792 THB

Longer-term (valid for up to 10 years) 37232 THB

Family of settled people (settlement) Visa application fee

Spouse or civil partner of a settled person 42952 THB

Fiance(e) or proposed civil partner of a settled person 42952 THB

Unmarried or same-sex partner of a settled person 42952 THB

Parent, grandparent or other dependant relative of a settled person 96200 THB

Edit: sorry about the formatting, it was ok when it left me.

The wife is due to take her settlement app in on Thursday I told her to get a cheque for the new fees, but I sent her forms to her two weeks ago but on the front of the form it has the old fees do I need to do the online forms again

The wife is due to take her settlement app in on Thursday I told her to get a cheque for the new fees, but I sent her forms to her two weeks ago but on the front of the form it has the old fees do I need to do the online forms again

No, but they will expect the new fee.

More expense smile.png

The figures are interesting. I know the Embassy needs to work on a constant exchange rate, but why they have chosen 52 THB, I don't know. The exchange rate has been nowhere near this over the past months, and the GBP is currently going down against the THB again.

The difference between 50 THB to the GBP and 52 GBP to the THB in fees for a visit visa is around 3 GBP ( it was 3900, and is now 4046 ). If every visa application was for a visit visa ( and the Embassy proudly says they deal with around 70,000 applications of all sorts in a year ), then the difference in income between the old rate and the new rate is around 210,000 GBP a year ! Some of those applications will obviously be settlement applications (where the difference between the old and new fee is around 33 GBP) will up the "profit" to more than a quarter of a million Pounds a year. From exchange rates ! It certainly is a business !