Capital Braces For Gaemi

Lite Beer

Capital braces for Gaemi

Thanatpong Khongsai

The Nation on Sunday

30191842-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- BMA sets up 10 operation centres, widens sluice gates; dams upcountry release more water

Bangkok is bracing for the expected arrival of Tropical Storm Gaemi, which hit Vietnam yesterday and is likely to affect many Thai provinces, including the capital, from today.

The Meteorological Department said yesterday that the storm had a maximum wind speed near the centre of 80 kilometres per hour and was moving west at 25 kph when it arrived on Vietnamese shores yesterday evening.

The department said the storm was expected to arrive in Thailand today, when it will cause heavy rains and strong winds in many provinces of the East, lower Northeast and Central parts of the country, according to the weather-forecasting agency.

Provinces in the West and the South of Thailand were likely to be affected tomorrow and on Tuesday, it said.

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has set up 10 operation centres as part of measures to tackle the flood threat from storm Gaemi, while the Water and Flood Management Commission urged the Thai public not to panic because main rivers were able to handle the expected heavy rains.

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra presided over a meeting of city executives and related agencies on the likely impact from Gaemi at the BMA Drainage Office yesterday morning. Although the storm shouldn't strike Bangkok directly, it would bring rain to the capital, Sukhumbhand said. The BMA Drainage Office has set up operation centres at 10 sites to tackle possible storms and rain.

They are at the Thupathemi Stadium; under the Lat Phrao overpass at Pradit Manutham Road; opposite Greenspot Drinks Factory on Sri Nakarin Road; at Pongphetch market on Ngam Wong Wan Road; at the Royal Plaza; at the Hong Kong-Penang Market; at a PTT gas station on outbound Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road; at the Bang Khunthien Chai Talae Road junction with Rama II Road; at the Phetkasem Road junction with Kanchanaphisek Road; and at Siriraj Hospital on Prannok Road.

The Drainage Office also installed 284 mobile water pumps at various places and added 11 more water-pushing machines at Klong Lat Phrao, Klong Bang Khen, Klong Premprachakorn and Klong Saen Saeb.

They also placed 29 water-pushing boats at Klong Thawee Wattana, Klong Phraya Ratchamontri, Klong Song, Klong Lat Phrao and Klong Bang Khen, while releasing water from key canals such as Klong Ong Ang, Klong Bang Lamphu, Beuang Pibulwattana, Beung Makkasan and Beung Nong Bon.

The BMA also obtained 50 water pumps from the Mineral Resources Department to install at sluice gates and drainage stations and 22 water-pushing boats from the Royal Thai Navy to place at key canals. The Klong Thawee Wattana sluice gate would be 40cm-ajar and the Min Buri sluice gate 50cm-ajar to help Pathum Thani residents better handle possible floods, Sukhumbhand said.

City administrators have also updated its websites for people to follow weather conditions

and the flood situation at: http://bkkfloodwatch.go.th/ or http://dds.bangkok.go.th/ and opened 20 phone lines at 02 248 5115 to provide information and flood reports around the clock.

Meanwhile, the chairman of the Water and Flood Management Commission's sub-committee on water situation analysis, Royol Chitradon, said earlier yesterday on the weekly TV and radio show "Yingluck's Government Meets the People" that Tropical Storm Gaemi would hit Thailand tomorrow or Tuesday, causing heavy rain in Rayong, Chanthaburi, Chon Buri and Bangkok.

The storm would then intensify as it moves to the Gulf of Thailand, leading to heavy rainfall in Phetchaburi and Ratchaburi tomorrow through till Wednesday, he added.

Royol said a joint operation centre was set up to monitor the situation in Bangkok. Water-pushing boats have been placed in major canals and water pumps also installed to drain water into canals on the west and east sides of the capital, he said, adding that the drainage of water in Bangkok had improved. He believed authorities could control the situation in Bangkok.

In Kanchanaburi, the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat) increased the amount of water released from Sri Nakarin and Vajiralongkorn dams from 10 million cubic metres to 20 million cubic metres on Friday, to make way for the expected rainwater. Meanwhile, Nakhon Ratchasima's Lam Phra Ploeng Dam was at 92 per cent of its capacity. Officials there affirmed they could still support storm-triggered rainwater and said the storm would bring the water level at the province's reservoirs up in preparation for the dry season.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-07

Media crap. Its just a low pressure area. Nothing tropical storm about it anymore.

They are using the term "Tropical Storm" as a scape goat for their inability to deal with the increased rainfall from the low pressure area.

Edited by negreanu
  • Like 1

Media crap. Its just a low pressure area. Nothing tropical storm about it anymore.

They are using the term "Tropical Storm" as a scape goat for their inability to deal with the increased rainfall from the low pressure area.

As of 9 PM JST (Japan Standard Time) on Saturday 6 October, Gaemi was still at 40 MPH, classifying it as a TS. TD is classified when winds are at 39 MPH and below, which is predicted for 9AM JST on Sunday 7 October. It track is more southerly than earlier predicted. BKK is going to get wet.

Edited by rakman

"The BMA Drainage Office has set up operation centres at 10 sites to tackle possible storms and rain.

a PTT gas station on outbound Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road." - dam_n it, must be real serious shi* coming our way. ermm.gif

Oh! They also placed 29 water-pushing boats........ cheesy.gif ... where they gonna push the water to... Ayutthaya? whistling.gif

-mel.

• Like 1

As of 9 PM JST (Japan Standard Time) on Saturday 6 October, Gaemi was still at 40 MPH, classifying it as a TS. TD is classified when winds are at 39 MPH and below, which is predicted for 9AM JST on Sunday 7 October. It track is more southerly than earlier predicted. BKK is going to get wet.

It is weakening by the hour. It is now a TD over vietnam - further weakening today to a Low pressure area.

By the time it will effect Bangkok it will be very weak and expect only Rain not much more than normal.

If you cannot see that the government/media are dramatising it so they can use it as an excuse for their poor efforts. "Oh the effect of TROPICAL STORM GAEMI" was extreme on Bangkok" - Or they will play the "Our work was so good their was no flooding due TROPICAL STORM GAEMI".

Heres the HK Observatory observation as of this morning. It is weak already it will be nothing by the

time it reaches BKK apart from heavy rain but not that much more than normal full stop.

http://www.hko.gov.h...c_fixarea_e.htm

and Japanese Met Agency

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/typh/1220.html

1004hpa is not even that low and thats this morning with 1-2 days until it reaches Thailand.

My own personal forecast is nothing more than a Storm in a Teacup.

But hey don't let Facts spoil a good story......

Edited by negreanu
  • Like 2

It is weakening by the hour. It is now a TD over vietnam - further weakening today to a Low pressure area.

By the time it will effect Bangkok it will be very weak and expect only Rain not much more than normal.

If you cannot see that the government/media are dramatising it so they can use it as an excuse for their poor efforts. "Oh the effect of TROPICAL STORM GAEMI" was extreme on Bangkok" - Or they will play the "Our work was so good their was no flooding due TROPICAL STORM GAEMI".

Heres the HK Observatory observation as of this morning. It is weak already it will be nothing by the

time it reaches BKK apart from heavy rain but not that much more than normal full stop.

and Japanese Met Agency

1004hpa is not even that low and thats this morning with 1-2 days until it reaches Thailand.

Hey, it's government agencies last change to grab some flood money and line the pockets of officials...yes lets not spoil a good storylaugh.png

And why are they planning to release more water from dams NOW - just in time for it to reach BKK when the depression passes over? Great planning that.

Even in my area they are still making concrete barriers around underpasses near klongs. Shouldn't that have been done not long after the last floods? Why at the end of the wet season? Siam Cement is making a killing! More concrete barriers will just exacerbate any future problems by not allowing water to flow where it's supposed to go...

I hope you people are true and the storm is really weakening because I land in Bangkok for the first time in my life tomorrow.

HA, HA, HA, boy are you in for a surprise. Just where a raincoat to Soi Cowboy, you'll be alright.

And once at Cowboy, dont forget your "raincoats" for your gentleman's bits as well...thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

and Japanese Met Agency

Very funny stuff here, you are really getting worked up about what, what someone wants to call a storm. Take 2 asprin and call your Dr. if the symtoms presist

I hope you people are true and the storm is really weakening because I land in Bangkok for the first time in my life tomorrow.

Even if it does weaken it will still rain a lot, you maube stuck in your hotel a few days, the city becomes grid locked with heavy rain. What area are you staying, there may be things to do within walking distance

HA, HA, HA, boy are you in for a surprise. Just where a raincoat to Soi Cowboy, you'll be alright.

And once at Cowboy, dont forget your "raincoats" for your gentleman's bits as well...thumbsup.gif

Soi Cowboy - always storms in a D cup. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

This is sort of off topic but this is all the result of the storm so I will still post here.

Look into catching the train from the airport. The taxi could take a while.

Ok can you please guide me from the Suvarnabhumi Airport to Sukhumvit 81, Bang Chak, Phra Khanong, Bangkok using train, since the taxi count take a while.

And also from the airport to AIT. and Sukhumvit 81, Bang Chak, Phra Khanong, Bangkok to AIT.

moe666 and others, what is there in walking distance of Sukhumvit 81, Bang Chak, Phra Khanong, Bangkok. Even shopping indoors would be fun. I was really looking forward to going to MBK center and Pratunum. Or may be around AIT.

Edited by wolvyz

This is sort of off topic but this is all the result of the storm so I will still post here.

Look into catching the train from the airport. The taxi could take a while.

Ok can you please guide me from the Suvarnabhumi Airport to Sukhumvit 81, Bang Chak, Phra Khanong, Bangkok using train, since the taxi count take a while.

moe666 and others, what is there in walking distance of Sukhumvit 81, Bang Chak, Phra Khanong, Bangkok. Even shopping indoors would be fun. I was really looking forward to going to MBK center and Pratunum.

You're close to On Nut BTS, so you can basically get anywhere, particularly MBK (National Stadium BTS), and all of the night life locations are close to a BTS station. Pratunum isn't close to a BTS station, so you might have to walk a bit to get there. Overall, it's only going to be rain for a day or so, so it's not going to be an issue for you once you're here.

As far as directions from the airport, given that you're in Soi 81, it's probably a toss-up as to whether a taxi or the trains would be better. If you're arriving in the morning and it's raining, you're screwed both ways - packed trains and busy traffic. If you're arriving in the evening (note: the trains stop at around midnight) and it's raining, the train would be OK and the taxi may be OK.

IF you were to take the train, go to the bottom floor of the terminal and catch the City Line train to Phaya Thai (end of the line). You could catch the Express train but they don't run as often and there isn't much difference between the time taken for the Express and City Line (stops all stations) anyway. At Phaya Thai, there is a short walk way to the BTS station. From there, get a train to On Nut (pronounced On Noot). The main issue with catching a train is you still may need to catch a taxi to get to where you're staying.

But, having said all of that, given that you're staying in Suk Soi 81 ... I think a taxi is the way to go.

Water and Flood Management Commission urged the Thai public not to panic because main rivers were able to handle the expected heavy rains.

Assuming those rivers don't undermine some flood walls and the like.

BTW is Sukhuthai dried up already?

Question: if dams are releasing water ahead of Gaemi, will the runoff arrive in time to help the rain causing extra havoc in Bangkok?

The storm's already broken up over Cambodia and this poster isn't a sex tourist. Most of us posting on this forum aren't, you know. Just the vocal minority.

Thailand’s eastern province to be impacted by storm Sunday night

image_201210071201553999DA1A-C5EF-AAE0-D24F0FA22765959E.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 7 - Thailand’s eastern province of Sa Kaeo will start to be impacted by tropical storm Gaemi forecast to downgrade to depression Sunday night.

It is expected to cause torrential rain with heavy to very heavy rain in many areas in the Northeast, the East, the central region, the west and the upper South from Sunday to Tuesday.

Bangkok city hall is closely monitoring the storm even though the capital may not be directly impacted.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said after the meeting with agencies concerned and inspection on flood prevention measures at several locations that the storm is likely to move southward and may not have direct impact on the capital.

However, it will see more rain in the next two days with very heavy rain in some areas. A new storm is developing in the Pacific Ocean and city hall will monitor its movement.

Meanwhile, in Phisanulok’s Nakhon Thai district, heavy rains triggered a landslide, blocking a section of a road. Officials spent one hour clearing the dirt. Highway officials and police are on stand-by around the clock as landslides continue. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-10-07

Even if it does weaken it will still rain a lot, you maube stuck in your hotel a few days, the city becomes grid locked with heavy rain. What area are you staying, there may be things to do within walking distance

I know of a nice swimming pool in the area!!!!clap2.gif

The storm's already broken up over Cambodia and this poster isn't a sex tourist. Most of us posting on this forum aren't, you know. Just the vocal minority.

Why so defensive and off topic ?.....usually people who protest the loudest about something are usually the most guilty of the thing they are protesting about...whistling.gif

So the media is lying to protect who they have no problem being critical of when it comes to flood management The Meteorological Department and other international press and weather agencies are all in on this as they report about Tropical Storm Gaemi which is (at least at the time of this news article) by definition (wind speed) a tropical storm.