No Newspaper Articles?

penzman

Two days ago, I think on Jan 31st, The Nation's evening tv news program announced that money allowed by the government for peace in the South had disappeared. They also mentioned that police and army had refused to disclose any information concerning it's management. The amount was 12 million or 12 billion (can't often tell because of the announcer's weird Carl Saganish accent)

I've searched Thai newspapers and googled for this and found nothing... Has anyone heard or read/seen this article or was it quickly set aside like many other news stories here?

I've searched Thai newspapers and googled for this and found nothing... Has anyone heard or read/seen this article or was it quickly set aside like many other news stories here?

There have been no bulletins from any of the Thai news agencies on this subject.

Perhaps a gag order is in effect? :o

There was a bulletin from thaisnews.com on Jan 29 referring to some 9.8 million baht of assistance money... reprinted below.

MINISTER JATURON YESTERDAY OFFERED ALMOST 10 MILLION BAHT TO PEOPLE AFFECTED BY THE SOUTHERN UNREST

Education Minister Chaturon Chaisang (จาตุรนต์ ฉายแสง) has visited the southern province of Pattani under the project to assist and rehabilitate those affected by the southern unrest.

Minister CHaturon, as head of the committee responsible for rehabilitating people affected by the southern unrest, presented 9.8 million baht of assistance money to 55 affected people, or 500,000 baht per household. Another 150 people yesterday registered for assistance.

Mr. Chaturon said that the government has been providing a continuous assistance to victims of the unrest, especially on the aspect of scholarships to the descendants of the victims and assisting their families. As for the issue of teacher shortage and their risk pay, Mr. Chaturon promised that these matters will be rapidly addressed.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันอาทิตย์ที่ 29 มกราคม 2549

I did come across this.... apparently it's not million, nor billion... but trillion

Bangkok Herald-Examiner

Ministry of Oppression spokesperson Killthemall Shootemup reported the Cabinet approved a reapporpionment of government fundings totalling 12 trillion baht from the Ministry of Education's program to upgrade schools in the Deep South. Instead, the money will be utilized for the Ministry of Oppression's new "Make Friends With Our Southern Brothers" program. The previously earmarked money will now be spent on bullets, rubber hoses, and car batteries with attached wiring that lead to alligator clips.

Edited by sriracha john