Poo Fertilizer, Chicken Or Elephant?

do you think chicken shit or elephant shit would be ok for toms, chillies and other vegies? i have easy access to both

also, is it really necessary to compost it first or can i simply dig it in fresh and let nature run its course?

thx steve

UPDATE:

after a few mins of research i see that raw chicken manure has the highest nutrient content but will burn plants unless composted for 3-6 months. elephant manure looks like a good thing to use directly from the bum since its not as strong and can be dug in or used as a top dressing.

i'm interest to hear about peoples experiences with both, especially when used for vegies, thanks

Edited by stevehaigh

i guess not a lot of opinion about this one out there. anyhow, i got a few sacks of elephant dung yesterday and i have some 2 month old toms ready to transplant into big grow bags. i transplanted some with 100% potting soil already so the next batch i'll plant with 25% elephant poo and then watch the difference in grow rates.

i guess not a lot of opinion about this one out there. anyhow, i got a few sacks of elephant dung yesterday and i have some 2 month old toms ready to transplant into big grow bags. i transplanted some with 100% potting soil already so the next batch i'll plant with 25% elephant poo and then watch the difference in grow rates.

Interested to hear how that goes. Composting doesnt take that long here, mine is ready in three weeks. I wouldnt be surprised if Soidog2 had the expertise you are looking for on CS.

Busy doing last plantings before the rainy season stops.

Did not notice your question.

Do not use chicken manure in your garden.

If it is not too late; before mixing the soil/manure combination, add a small quantity of urea as well.

Like one cup per sac.

As the plants mature; keep putting manure, at least, on a monthly basis, if you want beautiful tomatoes, keep them away from 100% sun, figure a way to protect them form leaf miners (neem works) & fruit flies.

best

• Like 1

Interested to hear how that goes. Composting doesnt take that long here, mine is ready in three weeks. I wouldnt be surprised if Soidog2 had the expertise you are looking for on CS.

That's for sure! Composting time is greatly exaggerated, normally linked with low temperatures found in temperate climates. Not like here, if you waited months for manure to compost you would have nothing left (it would complety absorb into the subsoil).

If it is not too late; before mixing the soil/manure combination, add a small quantity of urea as well.

Like one cup per sac.

As the plants mature; keep putting manure, at least, on a monthly basis, if you want beautiful tomatoes, keep them away from 100% sun, figure a way to protect them form leaf miners (neem works) & fruit flies.

best

thanks for the advice. i have the toms in a spot next to some bamboo which provides partial shade, just takes the edge off the sun and they seem to love it. they are growing like weeds at the moment. i'll post pics when they start to fruit.

i put some of the elephant dung in a bin with EM and sugar and water and i've been using the water, diluted, to water the vegies, plus i did a top dressing with the dung. all seems well at the moment and no smell.

i will use neen (sadao) spray too, i think that's pretty safe as insecticides go.

Edited by stevehaigh

Like one cup per sac.

best

thanks for the advice. i have the toms in a spot next to some bamboo which provides partial shade, just takes the edge off the sun and they seem to love it. they are growing like weeds at the moment. i'll post pics when they start to fruit.

i put some of the elephant dung in a bin with EM and sugar and water and i've been using the water, diluted, to water the vegies, plus i did a top dressing with the dung. all seems well at the moment and no smell.

i will use neen (sadao) spray too, i think that's pretty safe as insecticides go.

I have no idea about grow bags and how they drain. I'm assuming that they have drain holes in the bottom?

If you grow anything in pots etc, under bamboo, you must make sure that the drain holes are not in contact with the soil. Pop a few concrete blocks or something underneath. If the bamboo roots can get in they will totally choke the roots of whatever you are growing.

• 2 weeks later...

Like one cup per sac.

best

I have no idea about grow bags and how they drain. I'm assuming that they have drain holes in the bottom?

If you grow anything in pots etc, under bamboo, you must make sure that the drain holes are not in contact with the soil. Pop a few concrete blocks or something underneath. If the bamboo roots can get in they will totally choke the roots of whatever you are growing.

thanks for the tip. yes the grow bags have drain holes but i'm moving them to a better are under shade cloth where they should get 12hrs of filtered sun a day. i'll lay a plastic sheet on the ground first.