Ties With Thaksin Not Behind Rise To Top Of National Security Counci: Paradorn

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Ties with Thaksin not behind rise to top of NSC: Paradorn

ATTAYUTH BOOTSRIPOOM, JEERAPONG PRASERTPONKRANG, ANAPAT DEECHUAY

THE NATION

30191885-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Lt-General Paradorn Pattanatha-butr is seen by his critics as having won the position of National Security Council (NSC) secretary-general because of his close ties with former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

So they wonder whether he will be able to handle security affairs.He gave an interview to The Nation and introduced himself without waiting to be asked, saying straightaway:

Several people may be confused as to why I have risen to this position. I graduated from Class 14 of the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School and graduated from Class 25 of the Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy. I am a classmate of Army Chief-of-Staff General Udomdej Sitabutr, Deputy Permanent Secretary for Defence General Nipha Thongle, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt-General Khamronwit Thoopkrajang and the new commander of the National Peacekeeping Command. The Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) and the NSC will have to work closely. I have been working for the NSC since 1991. I have been working here since I was a lieutenant-colonel. Compared to other former NSC chiefs, I have been working at the NSC far longer. I know officials here from the drivers to C-10 officials. So, some may feel worried because I know the characters of all NSC officials and know how they have risen up in their career path.

Have you been appointed because of political connections?

The most important qualification of an NSC chief is that he must win trust from the prime minister. This is a normal practice around the world, not just in Thailand. Knowledge and capabilities are debatable, but he must be trusted. This is because security affairs have to deal with "white", "grey" and "black" operations. I am not saying they are unlawful, but they are confidential and cannot be made public, so the jobs need to be handled by a person that can be trusted so that secrets will not be leaked.

It has been rumoured that you were hand-picked for the NSC position by this government from the beginning.

It may be a case of multiple coincidences. First, I am qualified because I have been working here for years. Then, the government happens to wish to solve the security problems, especially problems in the deep South, which are being handled by the ISOC and the Southern Border Provinces Administrative Centre (SBPAC). I happened to be the best officer to co-ordinate the work of the ISOC and SBPAC. Pol Colonel Thawee Sodsong, the secretary-general of the SBPAC, was my junior colleague at the military pre-cadet school. I graduated from Class 14 and he gradated from Class 21. So, the situation required me in this position.

You are seen as having rising in your career path during the tenures of governments close to Thaksin.

It's just coincidence. I happened to rise in rank when these governments were in office. If you ask about my ties with Thaksin, I'll say Thaksin used to be a police officer who worked as an aide of my uncle, Preeda Pattanathabutr. Thaksin's father, Lert Shinawatra, was a friend of my father, Lt-General Korbkul Pattanathabutr. … We have close ties because my parents live in Chiang Mai and our houses are not far apart so we know each other.

I have known Thaksin since we were young. Then, we studied in the military pre-cadet school together. [One of us was in Class 10 and the other in Class 14]. We happened to progress in our career path at the same time. It's nothing more than that. Some might worry too much about this.

Have you met Thaksin recently?

To tell you the truth, I've not met him these days. I don't have to meet him in person, but I think we know each other's wishes. If you ask whether he helped push me to the position, I'll say it's true. But the situation also permitted it, so I was lucky.

What will your main missions as the NSC chief be?

Now, I must create unity between the ISOC, which is in charge of military operations, and the SBPAC, which is the development arm. I must find out how to have the two agencies move forward together smoothly in line with the main policies. If an experienced military officer, who has good understanding of civilians, police and military, works here, he will be able to create a balance and integrate the work of the two agencies. So, the operation centre for driving policies and strategies for solving the problems in the southern border provinces was set up, and I am now the secretary of the centre. We still have the same policies and strategies but we follow up on what has been done by all sides. What shall be done so that the ISOC and SBPAC will reach their goals fast? There must be a coordination centre. I'll ensure that the central agencies will support the forward commands to solve the problems effectively. To do this, we will need support from 17 ministries and 66 agencies.

What do you think about the southern problems?

I think we are walking on the right path. All involved simply have to follow up on what has been done. We have clear strategies. The policy of understanding and reaching and developing the local people is a key strategy and we are using peaceful means. This strategy must continue and we will simply have to implement it with consistency. But we will have to have unity in the operations. Regarding the call for the lifting of the emergency decree, all of us have that goal because it is a special law. Don't forget that the government has to view the situation in terms of the overall picture. But the government also has to set the condition for officials to work and to provide safety for the people. This special law is good in that it protects the officials in their operations. And military officers are not law enforcers but they have to come in to help police and civilian officials, whose number is inadequate. Since military officers step in to help, they must be protected by a special law.

All governments, including the Democrat administration, realised the call for the lifting of the emergency and wanted to do it but we have to consider the real situation. Even the Democrat-led government could not lift the emergency decree. The enforcement of a special law affected the confidence of the country. From now on, we will assess the enforcement of the emergency decree. Academics from Prince of Songkla University will help us evaluate and will conduct an opinion survey to find out whether the people want us to lift the emergency. The university has agreed to help us, as the academics also see the need to retain the emergency decree. But they see that the government must increase security measures to create safety zones. There are several conditions for lifting the emergency decree and after we lift it, we must not declare it again. It will create a lot of trouble if we declare the emergency again after lifting it for three or six months.

How do you view national security threats, which are caused by politics?

We have a policy that we will not lead the country to war - either internally or externally. The NSC must be in charge of the various political groups. We will be able to solve the problems better because we have learned lessons from the past. The past mistakes led our country to problems so we must solve the problems when they start brewing. We must do it by adhering to the laws. The laws must be respected and we must use both the rule of law and justice principle.

For example, when the clash between red-shirt and yellow-shirt people happened in front of the Crime Suppression Division, police should have made video records to see who was who. These were illegal acts and the case has a statute of limitations. The laws must be enforced fairly to both sides. Police must find out who hit whom first. Did the yellows hit the reds first? I've sent a message to police so next time this kind of incident must not happen. If it happens, police must enforce the laws strictly. Police could not be lenient because the violence could spread and the situation could get out of control and it would require a huge number of officers to handle the situation. In that case, police would not have enough forces and troops would have to be deployed to control the situation. We must prevent the situation from escalating to that point.

What are your security measures for dealing with terrorism?

Thailand is not a target of international terrorists. But Thailand is often used by terrorists because of our policy to promote tourism for the sake of the economy. Thais are hospitable and like parties so this could be a weak point. Now, they are protesting against a movie related to Islam. They want to use Thailand as a stage for holding protests. Now, we are monitoring these people. But it is lucky that those who are campaigning in Thailand have a record of using violence. If the issue is reported too often, they could be motivated to use violence. And if we warn them, those who like to use violence could join the fray. What should we do then? So, we have to send messages to foreign countries that we are ready to keep peace and in the mean time, we will have to seek understanding with these people as well.

Are there many real terrorists in Thailand?

Not many, I think. They just pass through and do not stay. We have to manage this well. If we think that it's not good for them to be present in our country, we must push them out because they have not done anything illegal. We know they are present because the countries that they have problems with will alert us. We will push them out because problems could occur if they are arrested here. The case of Victor Bout [a Russian arms dealer sought by the US who was arrested in Thailand] was an example. It became entangled. We would be in trouble because we stand in the middle between two rivals, who are both superpowers. And we have interests in friendship with both countries, so we must be careful about our stand.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-08

To tell you the truth, I've not met him these days. I don't have to meet him in person, but I think we know each other's wishes. If you ask whether he helped push me to the position, I'll say it's true. But the situation also permitted it, so I was lucky.

Ain't that nice, "we know each other's wishes". One the National Security Council (NSC) secretary-general, the other a fugitive on the run.

• Like 2

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Ties with Thaksin not behind rise to top of NSC: Paradorn

ATTAYUTH BOOTSRIPOOM, JEERAPONG PRASERTPONKRANG, ANAPAT DEECHUAY

THE NATION

30191885-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Lt-General Paradorn Pattanatha-butr is seen by his critics as having won the position of National Security Council (NSC) secretary-general because of his close ties with former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

So they wonder whether he will be able to handle security affairs.He gave an interview to The Nation and introduced himself without waiting to be asked, saying straightaway:

Several people may be confused as to why I have risen to this position. I graduated from Class 14 of the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School and graduated from Class 25 of the Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy. I am a classmate of Army Chief-of-Staff General Udomdej Sitabutr, Deputy Permanent Secretary for Defence General Nipha Thongle, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt-General Khamronwit Thoopkrajang and the new commander of the National Peacekeeping Command. The Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC) and the NSC will have to work closely. I have been working for the NSC since 1991. I have been working here since I was a lieutenant-colonel. Compared to other former NSC chiefs, I have been working at the NSC far longer. I know officials here from the drivers to C-10 officials. So, some may feel worried because I know the characters of all NSC officials and know how they have risen up in their career path.

Have you been appointed because of political connections?

The most important qualification of an NSC chief is that he must win trust from the prime minister. This is a normal practice around the world, not just in Thailand. Knowledge and capabilities are debatable, but he must be trusted. This is because security affairs have to deal with "white", "grey" and "black" operations. I am not saying they are unlawful, but they are confidential and cannot be made public, so the jobs need to be handled by a person that can be trusted so that secrets will not be leaked.

It has been rumoured that you were hand-picked for the NSC position by this government from the beginning.

It may be a case of multiple coincidences. First, I am qualified because I have been working here for years. Then, the government happens to wish to solve the security problems, especially problems in the deep South, which are being handled by the ISOC and the Southern Border Provinces Administrative Centre (SBPAC). I happened to be the best officer to co-ordinate the work of the ISOC and SBPAC. Pol Colonel Thawee Sodsong, the secretary-general of the SBPAC, was my junior colleague at the military pre-cadet school. I graduated from Class 14 and he gradated from Class 21. So, the situation required me in this position.

You are seen as having rising in your career path during the tenures of governments close to Thaksin.

It's just coincidence. I happened to rise in rank when these governments were in office. If you ask about my ties with Thaksin, I'll say Thaksin used to be a police officer who worked as an aide of my uncle, Preeda Pattanathabutr. Thaksin's father, Lert Shinawatra, was a friend of my father, Lt-General Korbkul Pattanathabutr. … We have close ties because my parents live in Chiang Mai and our houses are not far apart so we know each other.

I have known Thaksin since we were young. Then, we studied in the military pre-cadet school together. [One of us was in Class 10 and the other in Class 14]. We happened to progress in our career path at the same time. It's nothing more than that. Some might worry too much about this.

What will your main missions as the NSC chief be?

Now, I must create unity between the ISOC, which is in charge of military operations, and the SBPAC, which is the development arm. I must find out how to have the two agencies move forward together smoothly in line with the main policies. If an experienced military officer, who has good understanding of civilians, police and military, works here, he will be able to create a balance and integrate the work of the two agencies. So, the operation centre for driving policies and strategies for solving the problems in the southern border provinces was set up, and I am now the secretary of the centre. We still have the same policies and strategies but we follow up on what has been done by all sides. What shall be done so that the ISOC and SBPAC will reach their goals fast? There must be a coordination centre. I'll ensure that the central agencies will support the forward commands to solve the problems effectively. To do this, we will need support from 17 ministries and 66 agencies.

What do you think about the southern problems?

I think we are walking on the right path. All involved simply have to follow up on what has been done. We have clear strategies. The policy of understanding and reaching and developing the local people is a key strategy and we are using peaceful means. This strategy must continue and we will simply have to implement it with consistency. But we will have to have unity in the operations. Regarding the call for the lifting of the emergency decree, all of us have that goal because it is a special law. Don't forget that the government has to view the situation in terms of the overall picture. But the government also has to set the condition for officials to work and to provide safety for the people. This special law is good in that it protects the officials in their operations. And military officers are not law enforcers but they have to come in to help police and civilian officials, whose number is inadequate. Since military officers step in to help, they must be protected by a special law.

All governments, including the Democrat administration, realised the call for the lifting of the emergency and wanted to do it but we have to consider the real situation. Even the Democrat-led government could not lift the emergency decree. The enforcement of a special law affected the confidence of the country. From now on, we will assess the enforcement of the emergency decree. Academics from Prince of Songkla University will help us evaluate and will conduct an opinion survey to find out whether the people want us to lift the emergency. The university has agreed to help us, as the academics also see the need to retain the emergency decree. But they see that the government must increase security measures to create safety zones. There are several conditions for lifting the emergency decree and after we lift it, we must not declare it again. It will create a lot of trouble if we declare the emergency again after lifting it for three or six months.

How do you view national security threats, which are caused by politics?

We have a policy that we will not lead the country to war - either internally or externally. The NSC must be in charge of the various political groups. We will be able to solve the problems better because we have learned lessons from the past. The past mistakes led our country to problems so we must solve the problems when they start brewing. We must do it by adhering to the laws. The laws must be respected and we must use both the rule of law and justice principle.

For example, when the clash between red-shirt and yellow-shirt people happened in front of the Crime Suppression Division, police should have made video records to see who was who. These were illegal acts and the case has a statute of limitations. The laws must be enforced fairly to both sides. Police must find out who hit whom first. Did the yellows hit the reds first? I've sent a message to police so next time this kind of incident must not happen. If it happens, police must enforce the laws strictly. Police could not be lenient because the violence could spread and the situation could get out of control and it would require a huge number of officers to handle the situation. In that case, police would not have enough forces and troops would have to be deployed to control the situation. We must prevent the situation from escalating to that point.

What are your security measures for dealing with terrorism?

Thailand is not a target of international terrorists. But Thailand is often used by terrorists because of our policy to promote tourism for the sake of the economy. Thais are hospitable and like parties so this could be a weak point. Now, they are protesting against a movie related to Islam. They want to use Thailand as a stage for holding protests. Now, we are monitoring these people. But it is lucky that those who are campaigning in Thailand have a record of using violence. If the issue is reported too often, they could be motivated to use violence. And if we warn them, those who like to use violence could join the fray. What should we do then? So, we have to send messages to foreign countries that we are ready to keep peace and in the mean time, we will have to seek understanding with these people as well.

Are there many real terrorists in Thailand?

Not many, I think. They just pass through and do not stay. We have to manage this well. If we think that it's not good for them to be present in our country, we must push them out because they have not done anything illegal. We know they are present because the countries that they have problems with will alert us. We will push them out because problems could occur if they are arrested here. The case of Victor Bout [a Russian arms dealer sought by the US who was arrested in Thailand] was an example. It became entangled. We would be in trouble because we stand in the middle between two rivals, who are both superpowers. And we have interests in friendship with both countries, so we must be careful about our stand.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-08

My scary thoughts exactly ......

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Thailand is not a target of international terrorists.

Can someone also remind the chief of NSC what Ahmed No-Legs the Iranian bomber was doing in Bangkok with his mates earlier this year. After all he has worked at the NSC for a 'long time' and we were told that the only half successful suicide bomber was a terrorist trying to attack Israeli targets in...Thailand.

He seems to have the qualifications and the media has gone to pains here to expose that. Maybe he is the right guy, but give him six to twelve months and see what his performance is like. I doubt having ties to Thaksin would affect 'National Security'.

re; qualifications for the job, he says; "Knowledge and capabilities are debatable,"

I'm not sure if we should commend him for being honest and/or surmise that he doesn't shine in those qualification departments.....

I can say that, Thaksin is so immersed in telling lies about everything, that anyone associated with him pretty much has to tell lies in order to stay abreast.

• Like 1

Hub of nepotism. Yet another Thaksin crony inserted into key position. Woohoo!

Going in reverse a decade.

It's back to 2002 strategies.

Did Lieutenant-General Paradorn have his Lieutenant-General stars pinned like Lieutenant-General Kamronwit did?

Bangkok Metropolitan Police Commissioner Police Lieutenant-General Kamronwit meets with convicted fugitive Police Lieutenant-Colonel Thaksin and has the inferior-ranked Police Lieutenant-Colonel with six outstanding arrest warrants pin on his Police Lieutenant-General stars.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

13468283871346861610l.jpg

Khaosod News (article in Thai)

http://www.khaosod.co.th/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNME5qZ3lPRE00Tnc9PQ==&catid=01

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Unlike most other officials in the PTP government, Mr. Paradorn actually sounds like a very sensible guy. Like most others here, I do not like his ties with Mr. Thaksin, but I will give him the benefit of doubt for now, and wish him good luck!

Yes, I agree that his answers were very concise and made sense. Although he's still most likely a slimebag, and that came out in a few of his answers, he's open about it.

And although he acknowledges that his appointment was probably influenced by his friendship with Thaksin, his professional arguments were good ones. The "white-grey-back" comments are a bit gut-wrenching though, this gut stinks of corruption... but that's not a deal breaker for the Thais and certainly not the family running the country.

Let's hope he actually does his job.

Ain't that nice, "we know each other's wishes". One the National Security Council (NSC) secretary-general, the other a fugitive on the run.

Is there a warrant for this on the run fugutive? Every person including those who are appointed to arrest him are making trips to Hong Kong and shaking hands on his birthday..... Thai law is not law..... its just a bunch of general sayings that people use when needed to.... or perhaps this why the rest of the world has problem with the chinese nationals... they wish to understand only when their brains are not fed with money. Red is not danger in their eyes...it means PARTY!

Is there a warrant for this on the run fugutive?

AFAIK, there are six arrest warrants for that on the run fugitive.

If you criticised all those people who support TS there wouldn't be many left. Only people that dislike him seem to be the ones that directly gain from his demise. Just about the right number to have a 'secret' meeting at Anupong's or Prem's.

If you criticised all those people who support TS there wouldn't be many left. Only people that dislike him seem to be the ones that directly gain from his demise. Just about the right number to have a 'secret' meeting at Anupong's or Prem's.

'all those people who like Thaksin' = Pheu Thai, UDD, 42% of electorate?

'those dislike Thaksin seem to profit' versus 'those who like seem to profit'

'secret meeting' like in A380 loads of 'admirers' who only want to say hello, get some stars clipped on, growel and eat humble pie, in need of a "Thaksin think, we will act" ?

'all those people who like Thaksin' = Pheu Thai, UDD, 42% of electorate?

'those dislike Thaksin seem to profit' versus 'those who like seem to profit'

'secret meeting' like in A380 loads of 'admirers' who only want to say hello, get some stars clipped on, growel and eat humble pie, in need of a "Thaksin think, we will act" ?

as the recycling goes further along, the quality lowers

"Are there many real terrorists in Thailand?

Not many, I think. They just pass through and do not stay"

What!!! have the red shirts left the country?

Like the running Iranian bomb thrower in the streets of Bangkok who ended up blowing off both his legs. Honest guv, I was just passing through when the bomb slipped out of my hands.

"It may be a case of multiple coincidences (all in my favour)." maybe his definition of nepotism?

Reminds me of Thaksin's "honest mistake" answer.

Or Jatuporn's "all these riches just came to me by miracle"

An interesting example.

"Did the yellows hit the reds first?" Perhaps a more salient and legal question would be limited to "who struck the first blow?"

Seems he knows the answer but is aggrieved that he hasn't got 'the evidence' to back up his pre-conceived ideas.

Then of course the reference to the remit of the police. They seem to have chosen to take an extended tea-break in 2010, requiring the army to maintain law and order.

Perhaps the reds were seen as the problem in 2010 so were left to it.

Now the law enforcement is red, and the perceived 'threat' is yellow, it now seems the tea-break is over.

Would have been nice to see police videos showing MIB, or perhaps they'd have been confiscated