You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Visiting For A Few Days....

smokie36

Hi folks

I am planning a trip to Chiang Rai for a few days early January and looking for suggestions for hotel, what to do around town, excursions etc. Hotel budget up to 1500 Baht/night.

Also need to nip across to Burma to sort my visa so best way to do that/ time involved would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hi Smokie, good to see you're going to take in some of the best part of Thailand at last.

1500 will get you a pretty fair hotel, you need to get one around the Night Market area which puts you in easy walking distance of most of the attractions in the city.

Do you just need to leave the country to renew your visa? If so you can cross the border and return very easily during the day.

It's less than an hours drive from town and a bit more on the bus.

Just did a visa run today. Decided to ride the Green Bus van service instead of driving...here's a "trip report" for anyone interested.

1. Got to old CR bus station about 9;15. Van was just pulling out but another one appeared five minutes later.(The sign says departs every 30 mins from 6;30 am but seems that they just leave as they fill them up which didn't even take 30 mins) Lady ticket seller suggested i sit in front passenger seat as i was only farang and of course the biggest. Van stopped a few times to let people off and for police to check locals id's but ignored me as I guess i don't look like a burmese drug smuggler or refugee. Van fare was 46 baht. Driver was excellent and it was comfortable in the front. Back looked a bit crowded as they fill every seat....from leaving CR bus station to arrival at Mae Sai bus station was 1 hour and ten minutes. Fortunately i had my mp3 with earphones as thai gal sitting beside me talked nonstop on her cell phone the entire trip (what the hell do they talk about for so long?)

2. Van goes to bus station in Mae Sai where you can immediately get on a red songtaeow that will stop at immigration if you need and also goes all the way to the bridge. Fare is 15 or 20 baht. Walked across bridge out of thailand into burma as usual. Two burmese guys sitting at table in uniforms. Gave them my passport and they stamped then laid a nice crispy ten dollar US bill on the table in front of them. I was expecting them to say no must have 500 baht as i have read here from others that they no longer take the ten USD but they picked the ten up and put it in the drawer with no complaint and only asked me if i wanted to go shopping or back into thailand..i said back to thailand..the entire process from leaving thailand to reentry with new 90 days on my non imm B visa was less than ten minutes.

3. Catch red songtaeow near the bridge back to Mae Sai bus station...again fare is 15 or 20 baht. Again got there just as one of the green vans was ready to go but only one empty seat in the very back so told the guy i would wait for next one which again pulled up about five mins later...and once again i got the front passenger seat. Took about 20 minutes for the other seats to fill up and then we left...stops again at the police checkpoints but they only half hearted checked some of the ID's. Time from mae sai bus station back to CR old bus station ...flat one hour.

All in all a pleasant easy way to do a visa run without the expense or aggravation of driving yourself. The green bus/van company seems to be a very well run operation with nice vans , well maintaned and the drivers i had were both excellent.

• Like 2

You might benefit from reading this recent topic, 2nights, 2days where we answered most of your questions while answering questions posed by David48. Are you going to have that other guy in tow as well or are you traveling solo?biggrin.png

It will be just the two of us....wub.png

My gf and myaelf that is! biggrin.png

Coals to NewCastle mate, we have an adequate supply of the fair sex here, knowing you're Scotch we could have found you one with hairy legs.

Finding a hotel that has porridge and deep fried Mars Bars on the breakfast menu may take a little longer.

Thanks for the excellent link villagefarang. thumbsup.gif

Some good suggestions for places to see and things to do there...probably more than we will have time for!

Still looking for accommodation if anyone has any specific recommendations to make.

Also a thank you for the visa info sceadu.....hairy legged women eating fried mars bars? Ah yes...I remember that trip to Fife all those years ago.....<shudder> w00t.gif

• Like 1

You might benefit from reading this recent topic, 2nights, 2days where we answered most of your questions while answering questions posed by David48. Are you going to have that other guy in tow as well or are you traveling solo?biggrin.png

We're both under lock and key by our respective ladies, Smokie blabbed about our last trip and that's us both grounded.......thanks for that Smokie. coffee1.gif

OK we have found a lovely place a tad above our budget which hopefully we will be delighted with.

Forgot to say a thank you to pumchop for the visa info and also the detailed stuff on the other thread. Simply brilliant! thumbsup.gif

We look forward to our visit! smile.png

• Like 1

We're both under lock and key by our respective ladies, Smokie blabbed about our last trip and that's us both grounded.......thanks for that Smokie. coffee1.gif

How did you manage to slip past the censors? :D

Anyway...recommendations for great Thai food in Chiang Rai please....my gf is a real foodie.

Aren't they all I hear you say! :D

How did you manage to slip past the censors? biggrin.png

Anyway...recommendations for great Thai food in Chiang Rai please....my gf is a real foodie.

Aren't they all I hear you say! biggrin.png

The censors know it was true tongue.png

I'll give you a few tips when I see you next, there are some outstanding Thai Northern restaurants up there. licklips.gif

Agreed that genuine Thai restaurants tend to be away from the city centre.

I have a theory that Thai men like to take their girlfriends somewhere where they won't run into the wife doing a bit of shopping. cool.png

There's a couple of nice places on the river, just east of the superhighway bridge.

They are a little touristy but the atmosphere is great, the one we went to had a band setting up just as we were leaving.

Nice thread, I'll visit a friend that recently moved to Chaing Rai from Hua Hin on my next visit to Thailand so this will come in handy. He prefers it to HH and is trying to persuade me to move here when I (semi) retire some time next year, quite a few condo buildings being built according to my friend but I worry it's a bit far from the beach!

Great to hear such positive words!

I like finding positive places! Over the years i've tended to go west of chiang mai over to pai for my short breaks, but i have always managed the odd trip to chiang rai. I feel i should increase my frequency of visits to chiang rai.

• 3 weeks later...

OK folks I booked up at the Bura Resort last month but my gf,after looking at the hotel, is unsure if its the best place for us to stay.

She is wondering if it might be better for us to stay a couple of nights in Chiang Rai then hire a car and spend a couple elsewhere as we tour around before returning to Chiang Rai for the last evening.

Having looked at other hotels...rolleyes.gif she has decided the Dusit Island Resort is where she wants to stay. Is this place any good?

Big sighs here....biggrin.png

Help me please....wai2.gif

Gidday

Last year the wife actually overbooked a couple hotels and some friends and family could not make it so i had to fill the spots.

Started at the sukriand right near the clocktower no breakfast mainly for thai bussiness people basic but 300 baht a night good value.Then is was off to the Laluna for 5 days which has excellent rooms huge tv great breakfast around 1100baht through agodaThen it was onward to the wiang inn for 2 nights again nice enough hotel in the heart of the city with good breakfast and nice lunch.Around 1500 bt.Next it was 2 days at the dusit excellent rooms service nice pool great staff around 2700 through agoda.Next 2 nights at the wangcome another hotel in the heart of the city.Funny thing about the wangcome is that my wife who is from c/rai walked off the street and was quoted1800 so my mate went over and was quoted1600then we sent my sister in law 1800 so i tried1600.First time i have ever got a lower price.Anyway nice enough hotel although geting a little tired good breakfast.Then it was back to the Laluna for 8 nights.

So my two would be laluna or dusit although laluna has alot of gardens around your door so there are mossies.The room we stayed at the dusit was high and overlooking the pool with great views so you wont go wrong staying there.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Go up to Doi Mae Salong then up to MaeSai/Tachilek and back via The Golden Triangle, Chiang Saen and Chiang Khong.

Chiang Khong, would you believe, has a Mexican Restaurant run by some Thais who lived in that country.

While I would second the Mae Salong drive, I would do it clockwise and cut through on the backroad 1338 over to Doi Tung, which is a must see for Thais. I have the route marked on my map, I believe. Doing that may not leave time for Chiang Khong, however.

How about:

CM to Mae Salong (or Mae Chan - depending where you can find a decent place to stay that doesnt cost a fortune)

then from Mae Chan - go to ChiangSaen, spend a couple nights there by the river, and from there you can do a day trip to MaeSai and over the border.

this trip suggestion means you skip staying in ChiangRai city itself, but I dont think you are missing much there.

alternatively, add one night at the start in CR city, then to Maechan/Mae Salong for two nights, then two nights in ChiangSaen.

with CR, you need to have a car to get from places to places. most are not far from each other...between 30 to 80km (eg. Mae Sai to CR city is 83, so you would need a bit over an hour one way)

but perhaps those with more local knowledge can suggest if the routes above makes sense, and more important - hotel options in Mae Salong AND Chiang Saen. in ChiangSaen there seems to be these incredibly expensive places like Anantara costing more than 10K a night, or the meridien? more than 6K a night

over to you guys up north for further ideas :)