Lincolnshire Sausage At Butter Is Better

butterisbetter

For a change of pace we are now offering homemade Lincolnshire Sausage in place of Cumberland Sausage. The biggest difference between the two is that Lincolnshire Sausage has lots of sage in it while Cumberland has none. The price is still the same. 30 baht per piece and 140 baht for Bangers and Mash.

I'm still holding out for a nice, sage-seasoned homemadeb breakfast sausage patty like good old Jimmy Dean sausage.

I've actually looked up copycat recipes for Jimmy Dean Sausages. And one ingredient they all seem to agree is necessary is MSG. Lots of MSG. So I may try to do one of those recipes. But I'm pretty sure my efforts will fall at least a bit short because I'm not going to use Monosodium Glutamate.

I'm still holding out for a nice, sage-seasoned homemadeb breakfast sausage patty like good old Jimmy Dean sausage.

I've actually looked up copycat recipes for Jimmy Dean Sausages. And one ingredient they all seem to agree is necessary is MSG. Lots of MSG. So I may try to do one of those recipes. But I'm pretty sure my efforts will fall at least a bit short because I'm not going to use Monosodium Glutamate.

good

good

Thank goodness you will not use MSG. Many people are allergic to it.

So just split the skin and remove, then squash the sausage filling into a patty

You obviously do not come from the sacred county....blasphemy on this scale would have you 6 feet under in the potato field....

The best Lincolnshire sausage I ever had came from Brown's in Sleaford (my original home area). Wish I could be in CM in time to try Butter's ones, but I'm not there until January.... Lincolnshire sausages of any description are hard to find in my area, and good ones are like hen's teeth. I still think it is impossible to find good ones outside the county.....So, the gauntlet has been thrown down!!

Good luck in your venture..... I am jealous!

Sounds delicious!

Get hold of Rob over at Sausage King - they do a great Jimmy Dean with no MSG

Have used this recipe for years and it tastes just like Jimmy Dean...... and no MSG.

Breakfast Sausage

Ingredients:

10 lbs. ground pork (high fat content)

8 Tbsp. Salt

1 Tbsp. White pepper

2 Tbsp. Rubbed sage (optional)

1 tsp. Powdered ginger

1 Tbsp. Nutmeg

1 Tbsp. Cayenne pepper

1 Tbsp. Black pepper

Process:

Grind pork through fine seive, and add 1 cup ice water, seasonings

and mix well. Stuff into sleeve, or make into patties.

If you like HOT, add red pepper to taste.

Have used this recipe for years and it tastes just like Jimmy Dean...... and no MSG.

Breakfast Sausage

Ingredients:

8 Tbsp. Salt

1 Tbsp. White pepper

1 tsp. Powdered ginger

1 Tbsp. Nutmeg

1 Tbsp. Cayenne pepper

1 Tbsp. Black pepper

Process:

Yummm, sounds good! How important is the fat content of the pork? Is there such a thing as "low-fat" pork sausage?

Breakfast Sausage

Ingredients:

8 Tbsp. Salt

1 Tbsp. White pepper

1 tsp. Powdered ginger

1 Tbsp. Nutmeg

1 Tbsp. Cayenne pepper

1 Tbsp. Black pepper

Process:

Yummm, sounds good! How important is the fat content of the pork? Is there such a thing as "low-fat" pork sausage?

Depends...... if you make patties the fat content works as a binder keeping the pattie intact. The site that I found the recipe suggested around 15-25% fat as the optimum amount.

Breakfast Sausage

Ingredients:

8 Tbsp. Salt

1 Tbsp. White pepper

1 tsp. Powdered ginger

1 Tbsp. Nutmeg

1 Tbsp. Cayenne pepper

1 Tbsp. Black pepper

Process:

Rather a lot of salt - 8 Tbsp ? Nothing else you can use - think of the old ticker !

Rather a lot of salt - 8 Tbsp ? Nothing else you can use - think of the old ticker !

Wonder if it is supposed to be teaspoon rather than tablespoon. Other recipes use about one teaspoon to the pound.

Correct, it was 8 Tsp, my mistake, sorry about that.....whistling.gif

Bob

Wonder if it is supposed to be teaspoon rather than tablespoon. Other recipes use about one teaspoon to the pound.

Diablo Bob,

After adjusting the salt in your recipe to teaspoons, is everything else okay, as shown in your recipe? Thanks.

Mekong Bob

Bob

Diablo Bob,

After adjusting the salt in your recipe to teaspoons, is everything else okay, as shown in your recipe? Thanks.

Mekong Bob

Would be good to know as I just bought everything to try it. biggrin.png

Would be good to know as I just bought everything to try it. biggrin.png

The rest looks ok but suggest not to grind pork very finely - medium would give a better texture

Everything else is OK.

AS to the grind, whatever grind they use for the mince pork at Rimping, Big C and every Thai market in Chiangmai has always worked fine and I have made both Patties and Links.

AS to the grind, whatever grind they use for the mince pork at Rimping, Big C and every Thai market in Chiangmai has always worked fine and I have made both Patties and Links.

That's good as that is what I bought. Bought some at Rimping and some at Lotus in case there is a difference and will see which works best.

That's good as that is what I bought. Bought some at Rimping and some at Lotus in case there is a difference and will see which works best.

Tywais,

Are you using the 10-lbs of pork recipe for both Rimping and Lotus, or smaller amounts?

We're all waiting to see how it turns out - let us know!

Are you using the 10-lbs of pork recipe for both Rimping and Lotus, or smaller amounts?

We're all waiting to see how it turns out - let us know!

I made it Saturday but 10-lbs is a bit chancy if I screw up. biggrin.png I went with 900 grams, about 2 lbs. I used a different recipe I found from 'super secret recipes - Jimmy Dean' though I did add a couple of things from Diablo Bob's recipe that sounded like a good addition. This is what I used, just multiply by 2 for two lbs rather than 1. I did not use MSG. All units teaspoons.

For my first attempt it was pretty good and tasted about the same as another commercial version of JD sausage I've bought here. I did up the red pepper a bit as I like the Hot version as does my wife. Couple of things, it was just a tad too salty so think I may have used a heaping teaspoon full rather than flat. 2nd, the texture was not quite up to JD original so suspect the grind was way too fine as someone mentioned above.

Now I've got my mistakes out of the way, will make some more in the future modifying the recipe a little and figure out the ground pork. This amount made 12 paddies and I found one of these at Big C to use to form the paddies. Believe it is a cake cooker or for eggs.

post-566-0-65541300-1350221944_thumb.jpg

16 oz ground pork

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1/4 tsp rubbed sage

1/4 tsp ground black pepper

1/4 tsp crushed red pepper

1/4 tsp coriander

1/4 tsp MSG

1/4 tsp dried thyme

1/4 tsp powered ginger

Just tried Rob's new & improved recipe for Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage patties. Wow! Same good taste as Jimmy Dean's sage & spicy sausage.

I went through my first batch and just finished making a 2nd batch today. They went quicker then expected as my wife kept reminding me not to forget hers when I'm cooking them. biggrin.png

Have a topic now in Western Foods on how I did it, photos included. wink.png