Thai (Non Thai) Id Card For Permanent Residents

So I went to Wattana district office today and applied for my Thai ID card (pink).

(the other info about the application window being closed was obviously for migrant workers)

I managed to put in my application - they needed work permit, passport, Perm residence book, red book, and tabien baan and copies.

They took my photo etc but the actual ID card won't be ready for 1 month as it has to go to the interior ministry (for approval, or printing or both?)

The lady there did say that mine was only the 6th application at that office by a PR holder.

And the other lady doing the processing had never done one before and indeed thought it wasn't allowed - so she watched the other lady processing the application to see how it was done!

If your 60 or over you'll get one for life...

So I went to Wattana district office today and applied for my Thai ID card (pink).

(the other info about the application window being closed was obviously for migrant workers)

I managed to put in my application - they needed work permit, passport, Perm residence book, red book, and tabien baan and copies.

They took my photo etc but the actual ID card won't be ready for 1 month as it has to go to the interior ministry (for approval, or printing or both?)

The lady there did say that mine was only the 6th application at that office by a PR holder.

And the other lady doing the processing had never done one before and indeed thought it wasn't allowed - so she watched the other lady processing the application to see how it was done!

If your 60 or over you'll get one for life...

no - quite a way to go until that landmark - so I guess it'll be regular renewals....

and thanks to all for the useful info in this thread - having a print out of a pink ID card to show when you apply certainly helps explain what you are after!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the Pink ID card

My wife just called the Wattana district office, Thonglor, to ask if they can issue these.

The lady said that the application period had just closed (on 31 June) - it had been open for a couple of months - and said it was widely publicised on TV!

But she didn't know when you could apply again, and to call again every month to find out if and when....

Bizarre.

This only shows that there is one more district officer who doesn't know her job. Give a call to the Ministry and ask them to inform her.

For those that have just got them it might be worth noting that the print quality on these cards is pretty crappy so if you don't keep it tucked up in a wallet or sleeve the black text wears off easily, I need to have a replacement card issued because some of the numbers are no longer legible.

Perhaps the printing process has improved since I got mine but probably not.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just used my pink card on Tuesday to obtain a new lifetime driver's license. Cost was 205 Baht and the old one (which is still in good condition) was returned to me as well. The pink card can be used in lieu of your passport for renewing a 5 year license or getting a new lifetime license issued. The original printed details of my old lifetime license are on the new license in both English and Thai.

Edited by johnh869
  • Like 2

Just used my pink card on Tuesday to obtain a new lifetime driver's license. Cost was 205 Baht and the old one (which is still in good condition) was returned to me as well. The pink card can be used in lieu of your passport for renewing a 5 year license or getting a new lifetime license issued. The original printed details of my old lifetime license are on the new license in both English and Thai.

You mean that you didn't need to use any other document ( red alien book, residence certificate book, tabian bahn) ? You just used the Pink ID card and got the new driver licence?

A signed copy of the blue Tabian Bahn, and my pink Thai ID card. No Passport,Alien book or PR book was required. All the Thai people had their blue ID card and old or expired license attached to their copied forms (Tabian bahn and Thai ID). The paperwork info was then entered into their database and after a long time they finally called my name to sign a form,pay the 205 Baht, wait in the blue que to take the photo and get the license. Lot of people there at the Chonburi 1 office in Banglamung in the A.M. Took about 2 hrs total to get the new license. The old license was handed back to me and it is still legal to use.

A signed copy of the blue Tabian Bahn, and my pink Thai ID card. No Passport,Alien book or PR book was required. All the Thai people had their blue ID card and old or expired license attached to their copied forms (Tabian bahn and Thai ID). The paperwork info was then entered into their database and after a long time they finally called my name to sign a form,pay the 205 Baht, wait in the blue que to take the photo and get the license. Lot of people there at the Chonburi 1 office in Banglamung in the A.M. Took about 2 hrs total to get the new license. The old license was handed back to me and it is still legal to use.

I have had the same experience transferring vehicle ownership at the Land Transport Department. Just sent a messenger with original ID card, copy of Tabien Baan and a POA. No problems at all.

Compared with some of the moronic demands I have had from the LTD in the past that has been a pleasant surprise.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Just received my Pink ID card from the District office in Bangkok. It took about 3 months from the time I applied to the time I received the card. The officer informed me that I was the only non-migrant foreigner to ever get it in their District. They congratulated me. The card seems of good quality. I look forward to see how it is accepted.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just received my Pink ID card from the District office in Bangkok. It took about 3 months from the time I applied to the time I received the card. The officer informed me that I was the only non-migrant foreigner to ever get it in their District. They congratulated me. The card seems of good quality. I look forward to see how it is accepted.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Congratulations!

Can you tell us which district that was? Because I thought that by now, all districts should have been covered already.

An 8 i believe means permanent residency, a 6 means that you you have a Thai ID number because you are on a yellow household book.

That's my understanding too. Though I think 8 is also used for naturalised Thai citizens, in this instance it could only mean a foreigner with PR. I intentionally left that visible because it might help other PR's in convincing their local office.

The other possibly useful info that is still visible is the number 1299 which I'm pretty sure means 12 for Nonthaburi province and 99 for the specific office. Also the year of issue 2555 (2012) and expiry 2565 (2022).

Correct - when you naturalise as a Thai citizen, you keep the number that was given to you when you got PR. Mine begins with an 8.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for a very informative link. Curiously i was completely unaware of this pink card until today although i have been a PR holder for about 15 years. Since my citizenship application is currently at interior ministry waiting ministers signature and it should be all done within about 6 months so i probably wont bother unless something goes wrong with the citizenship application.

By the way i was this morning reading the citizenship forum when i noticed something like an advirtisement for PR id card which led me to this forum.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

Thanks all for a very informative link. Curiously i was completely unaware of this pink card until today although i have been a PR holder for about 15 years. Since my citizenship application is currently at interior ministry waiting ministers signature and it should be all done within about 6 months so i probably wont bother unless something goes wrong with the citizenship application.

By the way i was this morning reading the citizenship forum when i noticed something like an advirtisement for PR id card which led me to this forum.

Cheers

Nick

Good luck with your application!

Edited by johnh869

Cheers

Nick

I have heard from people in several Khets in Bangkok now that there pink ID card application went without any problems. So, I'd say: Why not? wink.png

Good look for your citizenship application.

Pink ID card – Huaykwang district office

The staff at Amphur Huaykwang was very friendly, especially the manager. She told me that she had processed 4 residencies in the last month (July-2015) but that no one had ever asked for a pink ID card at her amphur before. She personally went over to the ID card section with me and introduced me and told them to process the card for me

The man in charge there let me fill in the application form and took copies of everything but got stuck in the application and asked for time to check how to do. No problems and he called back already the next day and I came in and got the photograph taken and he completed the job and told me that it will take at least a month before the card comes

It took 3 months and it was free, didn’t have to pay a single baht. All was very friendly and professional. It helped a lot that I speak Thai

But: The first point at the back of the card actually clearly says that it is not an ID card

But: Who cares, I now have a pink ID card :)

• Like 2

Went to the Amphur in Ban Chang today. First response was same as for most in this topic. Got to talk to the palad and at least he was willing to listen and mentioned he would try to find information and get back to me.

I did not print any of the posted documents that could help me prove my case but this was just my first visit and I had a little hope that it wasn't going to be a struggle.

Told the Palad I would wait for his call and told him that I would try to get more reference material to guide him in the right direction.

Within an hour got a phone call back in which he mentioned that the government has just ordered implementation for a program and that from next month they could be of help. I am not sure what this means but could it be that they have addressed the issue with the pink cards and the clauses on the back not being applicable to us?

He was surprised that I so quickly knew about an apparently very "fresh" program so I am wondering if this will be different from what others have done so far.

To Johnh869 ....would it be possible to contact you or could you provide the name and number of the palad in Sattahip who handled this for you? Ban chang and Sattahip are pretty close..maybe it is good if Ban chang can inquire with palad in Satthahip.

• Like 1

If anyone applies for this card make sure the new application is used (if possible) regarding permanent residents. By the way. if your 62 or over you will receive a lifetime card. No problems with mine since March when I first received it. The "Palat" in Sattahip said don't worry about the details on the back of the card. Since mine is for life I don't care about the back of it either!

Having the pink ID card, and a Thai ID number, you'd think that you can use this in place of your (forever changing) passport number (in my case a passport only lasts about 2 years as I travel often.)

This has worked for my driving licence - renewed earlier this year - initially the guy on the desk wouldn't accept the pink card and red alien book, but on insisting, he took it 2 stages up the ladder and it was ok'd.

However SCB bank is completely different - they refuse to accept the Thai ID card/number in place of your passport number - the only reason was that "you opened the account with a passport, so you can't switch to ID card". I asked about opening a new account with the ID card - at first they said ok, but when I asked they said it couldn't be added to my online SCB banking. And they refused to pass it on up to head office.

I'm considering switching to a more customer orientated bank...

• Like 1

Having the pink ID card, and a Thai ID number, you'd think that you can use this in place of your (forever changing) passport number (in my case a passport only lasts about 2 years as I travel often.)

This has worked for my driving licence - renewed earlier this year - initially the guy on the desk wouldn't accept the pink card and red alien book, but on insisting, he took it 2 stages up the ladder and it was ok'd.

However SCB bank is completely different - they refuse to accept the Thai ID card/number in place of your passport number - the only reason was that "you opened the account with a passport, so you can't switch to ID card". I asked about opening a new account with the ID card - at first they said ok, but when I asked they said it couldn't be added to my online SCB banking. And they refused to pass it on up to head office.

I'm considering switching to a more customer orientated bank...

Bangkok Bank is perfectly fine with the pink ID card.

• Like 1

Yes - I just opened an account with them (Bangkok Bank) on Friday and am in the process of switching over!

thanks

Bangkok Bank is perfectly fine with the pink ID card.

On a side note, I opened one of my Bangkok Bank accounts more than 10 years before I got the pink ID card, and they switched from passport number to ID card number too. So it's not only what number you opened the account with, as SCB apparently want you to think.

• Like 1

Can you open a Thai bank account with only your Pink ID card and not your passport? Is that sufficient? In some cases it might be preferred to avoid home country compliance reporting (ie. USA).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes, I have opened new accounts at KBank and SCB with only ID card and copy of Tabien Baan. No passport etc.

At SCB I could see on their terminal screen there were three options for ID. Thai ID, Alien ID or Passport. It's the same if you apply online for "SCB Easy" internet banking.

I believe that everyone has to make a FATCA declaration when opening a new account in Thailand, Thai or foreigner. Not sure about that though.

• Like 1

Can you open a Thai bank account with only your Pink ID card and not your passport? Is that sufficient? In some cases it might be preferred to avoid home country compliance reporting (ie. USA).

Yes, I have opened new accounts at KBank and SCB with only ID card and copy of Tabien Baan. No passport etc.

At SCB I could see on their terminal screen there were three options for ID. Thai ID, Alien ID or Passport. It's the same if you apply online for "SCB Easy" internet banking.

I believe that everyone has to make a FATCA declaration when opening a new account in Thailand, Thai or foreigner. Not sure about that though.

Fatca only applies to US citizens as they must declare world-wide income.