Thai (Non Thai) Id Card For Permanent Residents

How much effort is involved in taking along pp/alien book etc when opening a bank account? Answer - none at all. Sensible to take them along anyway as even with pink id card might well have to produce at least pp.I've never carried anything except documents scans in my iphone - and never been asked for them.LIfetime driving license works well at parks etc.

But an interesting question remains.Are PR holders required to carry passport around? If the answer is definitely yes (though I never have), then I would procure a pink id.

No, you don't need the PP to open a bank account if you have the pink ID card. Anyway, there is no obligation to have the card, even though the regulations actually stipulates that.

Once you have the pink ID card, you have to carry it. Like the Thais have to carry their ID card. You do not need the PP any more.

With respect I simply do not agree that even holders of the pink card would never be asked to show their passport when opening a bank account.In any case it's a non issue since it is so easy to take along a passport.

But my question remains unanswered - do PRs have to carry their passports around with them? I was advised not - possibly wrongly - and in practical terms a lifetime driving license has been sufficient.

But I can absolutely see the point of keeping a pink id in ones wallet in these uncertain times.

No, you don't have to carry your PP if you have the pink ID. The Thai driver's licence is often accepted, but it has one flaw: It does not show your visa status.

• Like 1

How much effort is involved in taking along pp/alien book etc when opening a bank account? Answer - none at all. Sensible to take them along anyway as even with pink id card might well have to produce at least pp.I've never carried anything except documents scans in my iphone - and never been asked for them.LIfetime driving license works well at parks etc.

But an interesting question remains.Are PR holders required to carry passport around? If the answer is definitely yes (though I never have), then I would procure a pink id.

No, you don't need the PP to open a bank account if you have the pink ID card. Anyway, there is no obligation to have the card, even though the regulations actually stipulates that.

Once you have the pink ID card, you have to carry it. Like the Thais have to carry their ID card. You do not need the PP any more.

With respect I simply do not agree that even holders of the pink card would never be asked to show their passport when opening a bank account.In any case it's a non issue since it is so easy to take along a passport.

But my question remains unanswered - do PRs have to carry their passports around with them? I was advised not - possibly wrongly - and in practical terms a lifetime driving license has been sufficient.

But I can absolutely see the point of keeping a pink id in ones wallet in these uncertain times.

No, you don't have to carry your PP if you have the pink ID. The Thai driver's licence is often accepted, but it has one flaw: It does not show your visa status.

But my question was do PRs without pink id have to carry their passports all the time.

But my question was do PRs without pink id have to carry their passports all the time.

Yes, without pink ID you have to carry your passport like any other foreigner.

• Like 1

I think it is impossible to answer that question since it doesn't seem that there is a coherent answer as to whether non-PR's need to carry a passport at all times.

Even if it was the case that Non-PR's do need to carry their passport but PR's don't, how would a PR prove their status without carrying those flimsy little books.

In the case of PR's, their passport doesn't necessarily show their visa status. If there is no re-entry/endorsement the passport might well be blank or even expired.

Recently I registered at Suvarnabhumi to be able to use the Autochannel gates and it occurred to me that if I left Thailand getting an exit stamp the regular way and then re-entered using the Autochannel, the stamps in my passport are going to make it look like I haven't legally entered Thailand. Imagine trying to explain that to an upcountry police officer.

Now that the Bureau of Registration Administration have kindly removed "Permanent Resident" from the pink cards, even they don't prove much unless whoever is checking happens to know that an ID number starting with 8 is a PR.

Personally my position is that if the government doesn't care enough to clarify the situation then I don't care about carrying ID. In 26 years I have never been randomly asked for ID. I know that it can happen but I'll just deal with it in the unlikely event that it does.

I think it is impossible to answer that question since it doesn't seem that there is a coherent answer as to whether non-PR's need to carry a passport at all times.

Even if it was the case that Non-PR's do need to carry their passport but PR's don't, how would a PR prove their status without carrying those flimsy little books.

In the case of PR's, their passport doesn't necessarily show their visa status. If there is no re-entry/endorsement the passport might well be blank or even expired.

Recently I registered at Suvarnabhumi to be able to use the Autochannel gates and it occurred to me that if I left Thailand getting an exit stamp the regular way and then re-entered using the Autochannel, the stamps in my passport are going to make it look like I haven't legally entered Thailand. Imagine trying to explain that to an upcountry police officer.

Now that the Bureau of Registration Administration have kindly removed "Permanent Resident" from the pink cards, even they don't prove much unless whoever is checking happens to know that an ID number starting with 8 is a PR.

Personally my position is that if the government doesn't care enough to clarify the situation then I don't care about carrying ID. In 26 years I have never been randomly asked for ID. I know that it can happen but I'll just deal with it in the unlikely event that it does.

Many thanks.I think you state the position completely accurately including the fuzziness on the point whether non pink id PRs must carry passport.I dont and never will until forced to do so.

• Like 1

Thai law does require everybody to carry valid government ID, which in the case of foreigners is the passport, which shows the permission to stay. If you do not carry your passport or can prove that you are in the country legally, you have to produce it within a reasonable time. There is no fuzziness about it. To which degree the law is enforced is another issue, though. Most foreigners won't carry their passports with them (for fear of loss), but I have heard recommendations to carry a photocopy of it, including a copy of the visa page (if any) and entry stamp.

If you do not have an entry stamp because you did not get an endorsement as a PR, you would probably have to carry the red police book... I don't know. I haven't heard about anybody in that situation.

If you carry the pink ID card, you comply with the law: It is an valid government ID, and it shows that you are here legally (otherwise you wouldn't have it).

• Like 2

I was wondering if it is possible to get this card in bangkok, having a red book and thabian baan in korat? any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

I don't really know, that's why I didn't answer yesterday. But my thought is that if Thai people have to get their ID at the Amphur/Khet where they are registered (as per tabien baan) then the same would apply for pink-card holders.

I just asked my Thai friend, and he said they can get their ID now at any government office that issues ID cards, no need to go to your own district office any more.

This raises indeed the question of whether the same is true for pink ID cards.

Edited by onthemoon

I was wondering if it is possible to get this card in bangkok, having a red book and thabian baan in korat? any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

I don't really know, that's why I didn't answer yesterday. But my thought is that if Thai people have to get their ID at the Amphur/Khet where they are registered (as per tabien baan) then the same would apply for pink-card holders.

I just asked my Thai friend, and he said they can get their ID now at any government office that issues ID cards, no need to go to your own district office any more.

This raises indeed the question of whether the same is true for pink ID cards.

Any Thai citizen can get/renew their ID cards at any district office regardless of their original thanian baan, its also applies in case of drivers licence renewals, I will give it a try after songkarn because all the Thabian baan and PR data is online and accessable by district offices as well as all the police stations
  • Like 1

I believe the problem is rather, if the local amphoe has ever heard of such pink cards and if an alien from somewhere else suddenly appears on stage, they would probably have a good laugh and send you home.

• Like 1

I believe the problem is rather, if the local amphoe has ever heard of such pink cards and if an alien from somewhere else suddenly appears on stage, they would probably have a good laugh and send you home.

And from home, you should call to the Ministry (the direct number of the department in charge of pink ID cards for foreigners is mentioned earlier in this thread) and inform them of the name of the officer who has not been educated accordingly. Half an hour later, you can go back to the amphur.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And from home, you should call to the Ministry (the direct number of the department in charge of pink ID cards for foreigners is mentioned earlier in this thread) and inform them of the name of the officer who has not been educated accordingly. Half an hour later, you can go back to the amphur.

There were reports from Chiang Mai that the officer refused to even look into it, stating "Farang can never have Thai ID, why you waste my time". It's somewhere here in TV. Don't think a call to a ministry will improve anything in such situation, to the contrary...

I have seen a report (and following argument) on facebook of a person, without PR or any special stay here.. Obtaining a pink card as shown in pattaya.

As usual many denied it was possible until he posted the card with his inflo blurred.

Are they issuing these to anyone on an extension now ??

EDIT :: Looking back a couple of pages it seems so..

Edited by LivinLOS
  • Like 1

A week or more ago there was another thread about the pink ID cards for Non-PRs, can't find it now.

I've been signed off for mine, but need to wait until after Songkran to get it, seems like the local amphur doesn't have the card stock and it'll be printed at the Ministry, or something like that.

I'm no a Retirement extension, and have had a Yellow tambien ban for several years.

Mac

I have seen a report (and following argument) on facebook of a person, without PR or any special stay here.. Obtaining a pink card as shown in pattaya.

As usual many denied it was possible until he posted the card with his inflo blurred.

Are they issuing these to anyone on an extension now ??

EDIT :: Looking back a couple of pages it seems so..

Yes, was in the other thread. Got mine from Phra Khanong. You need a yellow tabien baan and corresponding 13-digits Thai ID. Extension is not good enough. Otherwise easy, no questions asked. But not all district offices have the printing machines. My card has a serial number 9, so they issued only 9 of these cards as of last month. .

...My card has a serial number 9, so they issued only 9 of these cards as of last month. .

This means that in your 13-digit ID number, counting from left to right, the seven digits in position 6–12 are 0000009. Is this correct?

...My card has a serial number 9, so they issued only 9 of these cards as of last month. .

This means that in your 13-digit ID number, counting from left to right, the seven digits in position 6–12 are 0000009. Is this correct?

No, there is a serial number under the picture, with the issuing amphoe code and a sequential number. Besides the amphoe code it's unrelated to the 13 digits ID.

Got a bit mixed up, there is another thread for us normal aliens....but yes, it's possible to get one with a yellow tabien baan, of course depending on the local amphoe, the weather and the last night of the officer in charge as everything here....

• Like 1

There were reports from Chiang Mai that the officer refused to even look into it, stating "Farang can never have Thai ID, why you waste my time". It's somewhere here in TV. Don't think a call to a ministry will improve anything in such situation, to the contrary...

I think the call would help a lot, as long as you are polite to everybody and do not become arrogant and say "told you so".

I did a similar thing and called the Ministry of Finance when a station chief of the customs department didn't know the regulations.

Be nice, be friendly, nobody can know everything. If you know how to talk to Thai government officers, this will not cause a problem but you will be doing them a favour as they won't lose face next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the call would help a lot, as long as you are polite to everybody and do not become arrogant and say "told you so".

I did a similar thing and called the Ministry of Finance when a station chief of the customs department didn't know the regulations.

Be nice, be friendly, nobody can know everything. If you know how to talk to Thai government officers, this will not cause a problem but you will be doing them a favour as they won't lose face next time.

Come to think of it, my district office had a problem with the software (it's somewhere at the beginning of this thread) and couldn't solve it. I called to the Ministry who called to the district office, and this lead to the solution of the problem. You just have to talk politely, but that is the normal way to talk to not only government officers all over the world, but to anybody whose assistance you need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been told by some, and I completely disagree by the way, that if you get one of these you don't need to do 90 day report anymore because their wives read the card and said so.

It has nothing to do with their wives. If you have PR, you don't need to do 90-day report any more, regardless of whether you have the ID card or not.

There are many official issues, from opening a bank account to renewing a driver's licence, for which you can use the pink ID card but not the driver's licence. Without the pink ID card, you need to carry your passport, Alien Book, and whatnot with you, as has been mentioned in this thread several times.

One more remark about your first sentence: I carry my ID around all the time. I never carry my passport and blue (or white) PR book unless I am going abroad. I never carry my reddish Alien Book, period. So, what is easier, indeed.

• Like 1

I have been told by some, and I completely disagree by the way, that if you get one of these you don't need to do 90 day report anymore because their wives read the card and said so.

It has nothing to do with their wives. If you have PR, you don't need to do 90-day report any more, regardless of whether you have the ID card or not.

There are many official issues, from opening a bank account to renewing a driver's licence, for which you can use the pink ID card but not the driver's licence. Without the pink ID card, you need to carry your passport, Alien Book, and whatnot with you, as has been mentioned in this thread several times.

One more remark about your first sentence: I carry my ID around all the time. I never carry my passport and blue (or white) PR book unless I am going abroad. I never carry my reddish Alien Book, period. So, what is easier, indeed.

I'm sure that makes sense and I shall certainly acquire the pink ID for identity purposes.Nevertheless it's naive not to recognise that this ID isn't widely recognised or understood.Passports will definitely be required from time to time - and frankly will often be required as back up.Let's see how it goes over the next couple of years in terms of acceptance widely.

On the plus side pursuit of this id has provided hours of harmless fun for quite a few oldsters with lots of time on their hands.