Thai (Non Thai) Id Card For Permanent Residents

A 5 year Thai drivers license serves the same purpose.

Was charged only the Thai price for some parks/recreation nearby by showing the license. Otherwise, it would have been quite a bit higher.

Go to Gaeng Krachan National Park, and you will still pay the foreigner's price with the driving licence.

If they see you...perhaps. Several times, I have stayed in the car (my wife is the driver), and she would park the car just off to the side. She then would walk to the gate house and pay for two (thai prices). Our windows are darkly tinted, so they just see my head in the passenger seat. Really, they never have looked...on at least a half dozen trips to various parks. If they do see me, I always mention my license (in the car)....they never wanted to see it...

I imagine there are several exceptions...but my wife always handles these arrangements, and it has never been a problem...yet.

I finally got my ID card yesterday. It turned out that the request for a card, which the khet had submitted, had been lost. After the request was resubmitted, the card came within a few weeks. Thanks to everybody for their help.

Congratulations!

What was the Khet or Amphur?

A 5 year Thai drivers license serves the same purpose.

Was charged only the Thai price for some parks/recreation nearby by showing the license. Otherwise, it would have been quite a bit higher.

Go to Gaeng Krachan National Park, and you will still pay the foreigner's price with the driving licence.

If they see you...perhaps. Several times, I have stayed in the car (my wife is the driver), and she would park the car just off to the side. She then would walk to the gate house and pay for two (thai prices). Our windows are darkly tinted, so they just see my head in the passenger seat. Really, they never have looked...on at least a half dozen trips to various parks. If they do see me, I always mention my license (in the car)....they never wanted to see it...

I imagine there are several exceptions...but my wife always handles these arrangements, and it has never been a problem...yet.

Sure, some people think cheating the system is an achievement.

Went to the Umphur in Sattahip yesterday.The Palut took my 13 digit ID number and said he will check if I am in the government database and give me a ring.I should be because the tax department has it in their database. Anyway, if it is, he then will allow my photo and finger prints to be taken. So, the process has started. I'll update everyone as it progresses.

is it the same amphur, where you were registered in blue thabian baan? if so then the should have your orignal file in the amphur.

Yes it is....So, yesterday afternoon the Palut gave me a ring and said come on over to start the process. I happen to be the very first one to apply. They scanned my left and right thumb then took my photo then the fun began. The data was going in O.K. then they hit a snag so the office in BKK took over their terminal remotely and played around with the data for about 20 mins and had to cease. The official told me they (BKK) will adjust the program and will give me a call in a week to come back again. However, at first he said the total process would probably take 2-3 months but he wasn't sure since I was the test case...Ha Ha. Cheers Y'all

P.S. They only used the Alien Book and House Registration for the data input. However, he looked at all of my documents including all the originals. Also, if your married they want to see your original marriage certificate and also the wife has to sign a document. In my case, my wife has been an invalid in a hospital bed at home for 12 years and cannot write anymore so I had to take her right thumbprint. That's it for now...

Wow, you have to go through many loops. Thanks for your updates.

• Like 1

I finally got my ID card yesterday. It turned out that the request for a card, which the khet had submitted, had been lost. After the request was resubmitted, the card came within a few weeks. Thanks to everybody for their help.

Congratulations!

What was the Khet or Amphur?

Sathorn

• Like 1

Hello Y'all,

Went to the umphur in Sattahip today and they processed my ID card application in about 15 mins. Everything went smooth. Took my thumb scans and photo again. They gave me the application form receipt which indicated to come back in a month to pick up the card. I signed the form in English. Either Thai or English was O.K. The form has light pink top and bottom borders. The Palut said I was the first person to apply in Sattahip and was their test case. The card should be valid for 10 years. The regular Thai ID cards are now valid for 8 years. Note: If you are retired and not working like me just have them enter your profession as a teacher. If you say your retired and not working they may not be able to complete the application.That's all for now folks...

Edited by johnh869
  • Like 1

Hello Y'all,

Went to the umphur in Sattahip today and they processed my ID card application in about 15 mins. Everything went smooth. Took my thumb scans and photo again. They gave me the application form receipt which indicated to come back in a month to pick up the card. I signed the form in English. Either Thai or English was O.K. The form has light pink top and bottom borders. The Palut said I was the first person to apply in Sattahip and was their test case. The card should be valid for 10 years. The regular Thai ID cards are now valid for 8 years. Note: If you are retired and not working like me just have them enter your profession as a teacher. If you say your retired and not working they may not be able to complete the application.That's all for now folks...

Thanks for the update, much appreciated.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Y'all,

Update#1: Called Umphur Sattahip this morning and the card has not come in yet. They said the card is being made at the main office in Chonburi. Said it would be another two months or so. I guess they have a lot of pink cards to make up for the other nationalities. I will check again in two months but they said they would give me a ring when it comes in. That's all for now folks...

Hello Y'all,

Update#1: Called Umphur Sattahip this morning and the card has not come in yet. They said the card is being made at the main office in Chonburi. Said it would be another two months or so. I guess they have a lot of pink cards to make up for the other nationalities. I will check again in two months but they said they would give me a ring when it comes in. That's all for now folks...

Thanks for the update. I hope this means that many PR holders are applying for the ID card now and the system is working over capacity...

• Like 1

Hello Y'all,

Thanks for the update. I hope this means that many PR holders are applying for the ID card now and the system is working over capacity...

Actually, I think those other pink cards are for the persons from the nearby asean countries who work in Thailand. Anyway, we need some more pioneers from other provinces to carry the touch....Ha Ha!

Congratulations, johnh! Yes, they told me the same about the text on the back, namely that I should ignore it. I am (ignoring it, that is). In fact, I guess the area I am approved for is all of Thailand, so I am not violating any law... wink.png

• Like 1

After reading Dork's account of his pink ID card I did a bit more research

and came up with the 2008 regulations that are referenced on the back of the

template posted by Dork and earlier by Thai Owl and I have attached them here

(in Thai). I got them from the Royal Gazette but they are also posted on

the website the Department of Provincial Administration (DoPA), the Interior

Ministry department that is responsible for all district offices http://ilab.dopa.go....9/rules2551.pdf

When Thai Owl first raised this issue last November I came across some

earlier regulations from 2004 to do with issuing the pink ID cards that listed

15 groups that are eligible for ID cards, including former members of Chinese

Communist Party of Malaya, displaced Burmese refugees of Thai ethnicity etc,

etc. However, I now believe these regulations to be out of date.

Thus far I have only scanned the 2008 regulations and have not read every word.

However, it seems to me that they are much broader and less specific. The

definition of people without Thai nationality who are eligible for the ID cards

is:

i) Those with permanent residence in the Kingdom with alien certificate or

residence certificate.

ii) Those given special dispensation to remain in the Kingdom - i.e.

stateless people, former Chinese Communists, Kuomintang, displaced Thais etc.

I can't see any suggestion that it is necessary to be either stateless or

migrant labour from Burma, Cambodia or Laos.

I still think the pink ID cards are intended for the 15 minority groups

and/or migrant labourers but it is possible that DoPA has come up with some

overlapping regulations which don't exclude PRs who come from the business

quota because it makes sense for minorities with PR to have pink IDs.

Minorities and stateless people can also obtain PR in certain

circumstances. People in the hill tribe areas, for example, are expected

to carry a Thai or alien ID card. So one can imagine it makes sense for

district offices to issue them with pink IDs in addition to their alien books

which are cumbersome and not understood by many officials.

I am not sure where to find the law about carrying ID at all times but I

assume a government issued ID card would fit the bill as well as an alien

book. The condition on the back of the ID card requiring permission to

leave the district that issued it might be a problem though and could require

carrying the alien book as proof of permission to leave the district - Catch

The regulations seem to stipulate the exact time you can apply for an ID

card, i.e. 60 days after becoming 5 years old or when your name is entered in a

tabien baan. If your name was entered on a tabien baan many years before

the 2008 regulations came into force, that could be another Catch 22. LoL.

Anyway I am going mull over whether I want to go along to my district office

with a copy of the regulations and the manual posted by Dork. My all of

life driving licence has so far proved good enough ID to carry for traffic

police and checking into hotels. It might interesting just trying to push

the envelope though.

I wouldn't do it......Use your lifetime drivers license like I have been doing for many years! I take that back...Do it!

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to the Department of Land Transport (DLT) to get an International Drivers Permit. So, I handed in my passport (also Thai people have to show their passport when they apply for it), tabien bahn, pink ID card and my car and motorcycle licences. The lady gave me the pink ID card back and said (without really looking at it), "we don't need this", and asked for the Alien Book, Certificate of Residence Book, work permit. I said I don't need these many books any more, because I have this ID card now. Then she looked at it, and passed everything over to her superior.

The superior said the same thing, and I now insisted that I only need the pink ID. So she called to the District Office which had issued it, and they confirmed. So, everything went back to the first lady, I got the queue number.

After 5 minutes, when my queue number was called, the staff who issues the International Drivers Permit said the same thing again: Alien book etc.... She went back to the same superior and then said, "all is fine". A little chitchat revealed that I must have been the first resident alien who applied for a drivers licence (international or local) with that pink ID card, so they had never seen it before and didn't know. Now they do, and all is fine.

Edited by onthemoon
  • Like 2

Bravo! I may need to get one next year. Did you apply in BKK? I would have to apply at the office in Chonburi since I live in Bangsaray. Probably would get the same stares! Ha! Ha! Thanks for the info!

P.S. Just changed my Bangkok Bank info on one of my accounts at Sattahip and they had to check also...But confirmed no problem using the card.

Edited by johnh869

Bravo! I may need to get one next year. Did you apply in BKK? I would have to apply at the office in Chonburi since I live in Bangsaray. Probably would get the same stares! Ha! Ha! Thanks for the info!

P.S. Just changed my Bangkok Bank info on one of my accounts at Sattahip and they had to check also...But confirmed no problem using the card.

This was as the DLT branch office Bangkok 3, which is located in Bang Chak, Prakanong. So it was not at the DLT head office in Chatuchak.

The important thing here is that they checked with the District Office that issued my card, not with their own head office.

Success! I picked up my ID card today. It is good for lifetime. No expiration date. I believe this is because of my age (67 next month). It appears that they used the old application form because on the back of the card it has the old requirement (Item #3) of getting written permission to leave your home province. I was the first one to apply and get the card in Sattahip. I talked to the Palut and he said no problem about the info on the back of the card...Ha Ha. I think the card was printed in Chonburi and not Bangkok. Anyway, It took about one month to get the card. If anyone else applies ensure that the ID card office uses the new format application form if possible. Good luck to anyone else who is pursuing this card! (See Attached Thumbnails)

attachicon.gifJohn's Thai ID Card (Front Censored).JPGattachicon.gif

I just saw that you card is valid for your whole life, while mine is valid for 10 years. I wonder why.

This was as the DLT branch office Bangkok 3, which is located in Bang Chak, Prakanong. So it was not at the DLT head office in Chatuchak.

The important thing here is that they checked with the District Office that issued my card, not with their own head office.

OK Thanks!

I believe if you are 60 or over you will get a lifetime ID card. The Thai ID card for "Thai Citizens" is good for life if you are 60 or over. So, I think this must be the reason.

So if you are over 60, they don't expect you to make it for another 10 years?

- Just kidding!

• Like 1

I believe if you are 60 or over you will get a lifetime ID card. The Thai ID card for "Thai Citizens" is good for life if you are 60 or over. So, I think this must be the reason.

So if you are over 60, they don't expect you to make it for another 10 years?

- Just kidding!

LOL! That's a good one!

I just went to the Department of Land Transport (DLT) to get an International Drivers Permit. So, I handed in my passport (also Thai people have to show their passport when they apply for it), tabien bahn, pink ID card and my car and motorcycle licences. The lady gave me the pink ID card back and said (without really looking at it), "we don't need this", and asked for the Alien Book, Certificate of Residence Book, work permit. I said I don't need these many books any more, because I have this ID card now. Then she looked at it, and passed everything over to her superior.

The superior said the same thing, and I now insisted that I only need the pink ID. So she called to the District Office which had issued it, and they confirmed. So, everything went back to the first lady, I got the queue number.

After 5 minutes, when my queue number was called, the staff who issues the International Drivers Permit said the same thing again: Alien book etc.... She went back to the same superior and then said, "all is fine". A little chitchat revealed that I must have been the first resident alien who applied for a drivers licence (international or local) with that pink ID card, so they had never seen it before and didn't know. Now they do, and all is fine.

Congratulations on obtaining your pink ID card for PRs.

Can I ask a question? What is the great burden and inconvenience of carrying your Alien Book and Certificate of Residence along to renew your license.You already have to take your passport, tabien bahn etc.In your case the use of the pink card delayed matters.

You say "all is fine" now but the reality is officials will be confused and have to consult superiors for years to come - not just for issue of driving licenses but every occasion a pink card is produced.

I really dont understand the advantages though if one arrived through the letterbox I would be pleased of course.Anyway good luck to those that can be bothered and have the time.

Can I ask a question? What is the great burden and inconvenience of carrying your Alien Book and Certificate of Residence along to renew your license.You already have to take your passport, tabien bahn etc.In your case the use of the pink card delayed matters.

You say "all is fine" now but the reality is officials will be confused and have to consult superiors for years to come - not just for issue of driving licenses but every occasion a pink card is produced.

I really dont understand the advantages though if one arrived through the letterbox I would be pleased of course.Anyway good luck to those that can be bothered and have the time.

Yes, you can ask the question.

I have the pink ID card with me, like any Thai carries the ID card with them (as citizens in most countries do). This is more convenient for me than carrying the passport. And mind you, while many places accept the driver's licence in lieu of an ID, it does not have the same legal weight.

The Alien Book and the PR book need to be done away with. I do not fancy carrying multiple books with me, making copies of them, and handing them in. It is inefficient and archaic.

The reality is that the pink ID card is still unkown to many government officials, yes. But only the first time, and I describe my experiences as a first alien with that card in different government offices. The next one who comes will not be the first one any more.

Somebody earlier in the this thread thread that he doesn't want to apply for the pink ID card. That's fine; this thread is for those who do want the card, and ask how.

Indeed.

Many years ago now, despite being a Thai citizen with the requisite ID, I was sometimes asked for my visa to be in Thailand or my foreign passport. It doesn't happen any more. They are used to people who are 6 foot 1 and not Thai looking asking for stuff just like other citizens....

Now, if I can only get the Thai tax department not to process my tax refund via their foreigners department each year, that will be the end of that saga!

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Yes, you can ask the question.

I have the pink ID card with me, like any Thai carries the ID card with them (as citizens in most countries do). This is more convenient for me than carrying the passport. And mind you, while many places accept the driver's licence in lieu of an ID, it does not have the same legal weight.

The Alien Book and the PR book need to be done away with. I do not fancy carrying multiple books with me, making copies of them, and handing them in. It is inefficient and archaic.

The reality is that the pink ID card is still unkown to many government officials, yes. But only the first time, and I describe my experiences as a first alien with that card in different government offices. The next one who comes will not be the first one any more.

Somebody earlier in the this thread thread that he doesn't want to apply for the pink ID card. That's fine; this thread is for those who do want the card, and ask how.

I guess you and the few who have the pink cards are pioneers.As the very knowledgeable Arkady has explained the whole PR system is archaic - but we have to live with it.I agree the Alien Book and Certificate of Residence are particularly antiquated but there is not even a suggestion the system will be reformed.Having said that the Alien Book in particular hardly ever gets needed.I never carry my passport or PR documents with me just my DL.

Whether you are correct that officials will become familiar quickly with foreigners and pink cards is in my view dubious.The likelihood is that for some considerable time presentation will involve tedious delays while clarification is sought.Indeed from various threads it's clear there is considerable confusion even in obtaining them in the first place.I appreciate that for those involved in frequent transactions in one location there may be immediate advantages.But for most there won't, in fact the opposite ie delays and puzzlement.

OK.....My two cents. The Thai drivers license (5 year or lifetime) is usually good enough most of the time for ID purposes. The lifetime drivers license has the PR's Thai ID number as well. The alien book is awkward to be on ones person. Many banks want to use your passport and not a drivers license to open a bank account. "Foreign" credit card counter cash advance transactions have to utilize your passport. A regular Thai savings account can use the "Pink Card" to open it instead of a passport. BBL (Sattahip) will not accept a Thai drivers license of any kind to open the account. So, to me, it was worth it to get the pink card. It wasn't that difficult. What I don't like is that I have to pay more (one stamp in passport and one stamp in PR book) for my re-entry permit than the person who's on a visa! Also, I don't see why my pink card and passport with the re-entry permit can't be used when I leave Thailand to go on vacation! TIT!!!!!!

Edited by johnh869
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Regarding the Pink ID card

My wife just called the Wattana district office, Thonglor, to ask if they can issue these.

The lady said that the application period had just closed (on 31 June) - it had been open for a couple of months - and said it was widely publicised on TV!

But she didn't know when you could apply again, and to call again every month to find out if and when....

Bizarre.

My wife just called the Wattana district office, Thonglor, to ask if they can issue these.

The lady said that the application period had just closed (on 31 June) - it had been open for a couple of months - and said it was widely publicised on TV!

But she didn't know when you could apply again, and to call again every month to find out if and when....

Bizarre.

Given that most officals still associate these cards with migrant workers from laos, myanamr and cambodia who do get an ID card, I suspect they are talking about that given from experience of hiring a burmese maid, the application period is around mid year.

Clearly you don't fall into that category, so I suspect it will be best to go down there yourself waving the government directive found earlier in this thread.... good luck!

• Like 1

Bizarre.

These are meaningless excuses, afterall June consist of 30 days only not 31.