Thai (Non Thai) Id Card For Permanent Residents

No prob. Or you could use your smart phone camera to take it's pic, mail it to yourself, blank your personal details and attach it here smile.png

I was thinking of that, but I won't have access to scanner until next Monday. Please stand by.

Congrats, interesting to know that the card says that it's indeed meant for PR. Could you attach a scan of it here for us to see? Offcourse blanking out your personal details. Thanks

One more thing, but rather philosophical: There is one user on Camerata's Guide who says that the pink ID card was never meant for PR holders. This is incorrect; my card says in Thai "ID Card for non-Thais who hold Permanent Residence" (my translation).

Furthermore, the announcement about these ID cards for non-Thais from 2551 linked in post #9 clearly refers to 1.) PR holders and 2.) people with special permission to stay (I think by this they mean the migrant workers from neighbouring countries but am not sure). It says under item 5 that you have to apply for this ID card within 60 days after registering in the tabien bahn, or after completing 5 years of age. (My translation, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) Of course, the 60-day requirement is currently not enforced, but hey:

You have the choice of carrying your passport, PR book and Alien Registration book in situations where the drivers licence is not sufficient, or you carry the ID card instead. Furthermore, I expect things to be easier (at the bank or at National Parks, for example) with the ID card rather than the driver's licence.

Success! I picked up my pink ID card yesterday.

Here is the official process: Bring your passport, blue PR book, reddish Alien Book, tabien bahn and other documents (they also took copies of my work permit and my driver's licence, as I had them with me), and a signed copy of each, to your District Office (Khet in Bangkok, amphur in the provinces) and go to the department that issues the ID cards also for Thai citizens.

You will be finger printed and photographed, and you'll have to sign an application form. They had filled it in for me in my case, I don't know whether it should normally be filled in by the applicant.

Then they send the file off to the Ministry of the Interior, where the card will be printed and sent back to the DO. I was told it should take 1-2 months, but it took only about 2 weeks in my case.

That's it. No fees at all.

Congrats. Is this in Bangkok or outside?

I submitted my application many months ago, but they always say they are still waiting to get the card from the MoI.

Success! I picked up my pink ID card yesterday.

Here is the official process: Bring your passport, blue PR book, reddish Alien Book, tabien bahn and other documents (they also took copies of my work permit and my driver's licence, as I had them with me), and a signed copy of each, to your District Office (Khet in Bangkok, amphur in the provinces) and go to the department that issues the ID cards also for Thai citizens.

You will be finger printed and photographed, and you'll have to sign an application form. They had filled it in for me in my case, I don't know whether it should normally be filled in by the applicant.

Then they send the file off to the Ministry of the Interior, where the card will be printed and sent back to the DO. I was told it should take 1-2 months, but it took only about 2 weeks in my case.

That's it. No fees at all.

Congrats. Is this in Bangkok or outside?

I submitted my application many months ago, but they always say they are still waiting to get the card from the MoI.

As Mario said, Bangkok. Khet Prakhanong, to be exact. Where did you apply, and when? I am surprised they could key in everything into the computer and take your picture and all without error messages on the screen.

The district was Sathorn. I can't find the receipt they gave me any more, but it was more than a year ago. It took several visits and many phone calls before they were able to successfully input the data (using the info in this thread). They gave me a receipt saying to come and collect it in 15 days, but there have been no further developments since then. My secretary calls up or visits from time to time, but they simply say that they haven't heard anything back yet.

If I could show them a copy of a pink id card issued to a permanent resident, maybe that would be enough to get things moving.

My citizenship application is with the palace, so it will be a toss up to see whether the PR id card before my proper Thai id card.

• Like 1

The district was Sathorn. I can't find the receipt they gave me any more, but it was more than a year ago. It took several visits and many phone calls before they were able to successfully input the data (using the info in this thread). They gave me a receipt saying to come and collect it in 15 days, but there have been no further developments since then. My secretary calls up or visits from time to time, but they simply say that they haven't heard anything back yet.

If I could show them a copy of a pink id card issued to a permanent resident, maybe that would be enough to get things moving.

My citizenship application is with the palace, so it will be a toss up to see whether the PR id card before my proper Thai id card.

They got a new computer system and a new program recently, I am not sure when but it was new and buggy in May last year. If you applied before that, it may be that they input it into the old system which worked - but maybe the data was lost when they migrated. I am just guessing here, but "over a year" seems excessive. You can also call to the Ministry and ask whether your file is still pending, you will have to give them your ID number from the tabien bahn. Or maybe your secretary can get the District Office to check with the Ministry what happened to your application.

I'll send my card on Monday. I hope this will help you.

Good luck for your citizen application!

Edited by onthemoon

Here is my Thai ID card for PR holder:

attachicon.gifThai ID for PR holder.pdf

Congratulations on getting your pink card. It seems to be hit and miss whether a particular district office will issue one or not, even though it is clearly in BORA's regulations that every PR must have one. It's strange that they have no problem issuing them to millions of migrant workers on temporary visas but have so much trouble issuing them to a handful of PRs.

• Like 1

Here is my Thai ID card for PR holder:

attachicon.gifThai ID for PR holder.pdf

Congratulations on getting your pink card. It seems to be hit and miss whether a particular district office will issue one or not, even though it is clearly in BORA's regulations that every PR must have one. It's strange that they have no problem issuing them to millions of migrant workers on temporary visas but have so much trouble issuing them to a handful of PRs.

No, it's not a hit and miss any more. If the district office says that you (as a PR holder) are not entitled to the card, just give them a copy of the regulations. If they still don't agree, make a call to the Ministry and ask them to give that district office a call.

The district office really does not have any leeway to decide whether or not to issue the card. However, the fault is with the Ministry not educating the district officers appropriately, not with the district office - they really don't know.

A friend who has PR and follows this thread went down to his khet office on Wednesday. After an initial computer glitch, seeming disgregard for the regulations he bought with him, he was called back the next day and had his photo taken. He was asked to come back in a month when the card would supposedly be done.

Let's see how it goes.

• Like 2

A friend who has PR and follows this thread went down to his khet office on Wednesday. After an initial computer glitch, seeming disgregard for the regulations he bought with him, he was called back the next day and had his photo taken. He was asked to come back in a month when the card would supposedly be done.

Let's see how it goes.

Good to hear. Can you disclose to which district office, or at least in which province, he went to apply?

If not, that's OK.

Let's see how it goes.

Good to hear. Can you disclose to which district office, or at least in which province, he went to apply?

If not, that's OK.

Best guess is whatever khet around victory monument. Don't know which one exactly though.

Let's see how it goes.

If not, that's OK.

Best guess is whatever khet around victory monument. Don't know which one exactly though.

That's in Bangkok, thanks. The news seem to propagate through the Khets.

Somebody mentioned that he tried to apply in Chiang Mai, somebody else in Isan, and the DO told them that the cards were only for migrant workers from neighbouring countries. It would be great to get an update from the provinces too.

Last year I proposed a Thai Expatriate ID Card for holders of Non Immigrant Visa, Extensions of Stay and those on PR status. There were many responses both pro and con ... plus there were examples of such cards used by other countries including Malaysia and the Philippines.

Personally, I think it is a good idea ... yes there are DLs and such but many Expat do not drive. And this type of card is a smart card with data embedded reflecting what typed on the card and information as to current Visa / Extension / PR status.

This concept words well in other countries in the greater regions ... easy to carry - informative and easy to replace if lost. No need to carry any other documents.

Take a look at the TVF Link.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/748014-expatriate-id-card-diy/

An 8 i believe means permanent residency, a 6 means that you you have a Thai ID number because you are on a yellow household book.

That's my understanding too. Though I think 8 is also used for naturalised Thai citizens, in this instance it could only mean a foreigner with PR. I intentionally left that visible because it might help other PR's in convincing their local office.

The other possibly useful info that is still visible is the number 1299 which I'm pretty sure means 12 for Nonthaburi province and 99 for the specific office. Also the year of issue 2555 (2012) and expiry 2565 (2022).

I have an 8 as my first number and my PR was granted in March of 1996. I assume the number eight is used for both a PR holder and a naturalized Thai citizen. The rest is explained in the attachment.

post-90623-0-45921400-1424489478_thumb.j

Edited by johnh869
  • Like 1

Last year I proposed a Thai Expatriate ID Card for holders of Non Immigrant Visa, Extensions of Stay and those on PR status. There were many responses both pro and con ... plus there were examples of such cards used by other countries including Malaysia and the Philippines.

Personally, I think it is a good idea ... yes there are DLs and such but many Expat do not drive. And this type of card is a smart card with data embedded reflecting what typed on the card and information as to current Visa / Extension / PR status.

This concept words well in other countries in the greater regions ... easy to carry - informative and easy to replace if lost. No need to carry any other documents.

Take a look at the TVF Link.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/748014-expatriate-id-card-diy/

Interesting, I'll read through that thread and comment there. It sounds a bit like the ARC (Alien Residence Certificate) which I received from the Taiwanese government when I was there on what would be a non-B visa and WP here: A fully-functional ID card for foreigners.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see how it goes.

If not, that's OK.

It is Ratchatewi District at the office on Phyathai Road. I picked up the ID Card today. It is the same as the Thai ID card but pink. There is a scan of one earlier in this thread. Apparently was the first one in the district, which is why they had problems with the computer system until they got the instructions from head office. It is also why they said to wait a month. In fact it has only been a couple of weeks.

The advice to take the regulation and the DOPA manual to the District Office is sound. Since I was first in the district, I had to work through a number of confused staff until they took the regulation away and read it and the Head of the Registration Office then told the staff to put me through the process. I went by myself. My Thai was sufficient to make my needs known, get through the process and answer the questions. All the documents I had to sign in Thai, even the one today to collect the card. My Thai writing looks like a 3 year olds. So if your spoken and written Thai aren't good, you should probably take someone with you.

Always good to have official documents but the Thai ID card would surely be enough to satisfy any cop's demand for a passport since it is only available to legal permanent residents and so proves 'visa' status, even though this hasn't happened to me in the more than two decades I've been here.

So thank you to the poster who provided the information on the regulation.

• Like 2

I'm going to give it a try in Sattahip this month...I'll let everyone know my progress...

Great, please keep us posted, I will give it third try in Korat next month.

What happen the first two times in Korat?

I'm going to give it a try in Sattahip this month...I'll let everyone know my progress...

First time no body knows what I was talking about, even I was armed with all the documentation, they asked me to call them after some weeks, so I called and they said there was a glitch in the program which will be fixed withen few months, I gave it a try again last year, this time they were able to feed my data in there computers but unable to scan my finger prints or to photograph me, so no progress yet.
  • Like 2

First time no body knows what I was talking about, even I was armed with all the documentation, they asked me to call them after some weeks, so I called and they said there was a glitch in the program which will be fixed withen few months, I gave it a try again last year, this time they were able to feed my data in there computers but unable to scan my finger prints or to photograph me, so no progress yet.

OK Thanks....Hope to go next week....Cheers

Let's see how it goes.

If not, that's OK.

It is Ratchatewi District at the office on Phyathai Road. I picked up the ID Card today. It is the same as the Thai ID card but pink. There is a scan of one earlier in this thread. Apparently was the first one in the district, which is why they had problems with the computer system until they got the instructions from head office. It is also why they said to wait a month. In fact it has only been a couple of weeks.

The advice to take the regulation and the DOPA manual to the District Office is sound. Since I was first in the district, I had to work through a number of confused staff until they took the regulation away and read it and the Head of the Registration Office then told the staff to put me through the process. I went by myself. My Thai was sufficient to make my needs known, get through the process and answer the questions. All the documents I had to sign in Thai, even the one today to collect the card. My Thai writing looks like a 3 year olds. So if your spoken and written Thai aren't good, you should probably take someone with you.

Always good to have official documents but the Thai ID card would surely be enough to satisfy any cop's demand for a passport since it is only available to legal permanent residents and so proves 'visa' status, even though this hasn't happened to me in the more than two decades I've been here.

So thank you to the poster who provided the information on the regulation.

Congratulations!

Actually, it does not look exactly like the Thai card: the Thai card is in Thai and English (ours is only in Thai), and the Thai card has a computer chips, which ours doesn't. So it looks like the Thai ID card used to look like, in the last century. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Do give a call to the Ministry, they are very helpful.

• Like 1

But this card is only available for pepole with permanent residence or also for pepole that have a yellow book? Thanks

No, these are ID cards for people with Permanent Residence.

Went to the Umphur in Sattahip yesterday.The Palut took my 13 digit ID number and said he will check if I am in the government database and give me a ring.I should be because the tax department has it in their database. Anyway, if it is, he then will allow my photo and finger prints to be taken. So, the process has started. I'll update everyone as it progresses.

• Like 1

Went to the Umphur in Sattahip yesterday.The Palut took my 13 digit ID number and said he will check if I am in the government database and give me a ring.I should be because the tax department has it in their database. Anyway, if it is, he then will allow my photo and finger prints to be taken. So, the process has started. I'll update everyone as it progresses.

is it the same amphur, where you were registered in blue thabian baan? if so then the should have your orignal file in the amphur.

is it the same amphur, where you were registered in blue thabian baan? if so then the should have your orignal file in the amphur.

Yes it is....So, yesterday afternoon the Palut gave me a ring and said come on over to start the process. I happen to be the very first one to apply. They scanned my left and right thumb then took my photo then the fun began. The data was going in O.K. then they hit a snag so the office in BKK took over their terminal remotely and played around with the data for about 20 mins and had to cease. The official told me they (BKK) will adjust the program and will give me a call in a week to come back again. However, at first he said the total process would probably take 2-3 months but he wasn't sure since I was the test case...Ha Ha. Cheers Y'all

P.S. They only used the Alien Book and House Registration for the data input. However, he looked at all of my documents including all the originals. Also, if your married they want to see your original marriage certificate and also the wife has to sign a document. In my case, my wife has been an invalid in a hospital bed at home for 12 years and cannot write anymore so I had to take her right thumbprint. That's it for now...

Edited by johnh869