Thai (Non Thai) Id Card For Permanent Residents

10 hours ago, onthemoon said:

A driver's licence is a licence to drive. That's why you didn't get fined when you got pulled over and did have one in accordance with the law.

An ID card is a card with which you prove your identity. Different animal.

Some people choose to consider the driver's licence in lieu of an ID card, but in most national parks, they won't. They are actually not allowed to any more. Neither are hotels allowed to accept the driver's licence (but some might anyway), and most banks won't either.

I was told an international permit, as long as valid, can be used in Thailand. It's on the list of accepted countries last time I looked so I shouldn't have gotten fined those times either. I think the Thai DL of course is better to have and that's why I got it, plus to get Thai prices at all the places that have double pricing and that I plan on living here past the expiration of the international permit so I want to be as legit as possible. I've also been using the Thai DL as ID to change money and haven't had one problem either. 

I don't carry my passport, I always show my Thai DL and no questions asked. Of course that doesn't mean it's what the law says, but as we all know what the law is here and how reality plays out are rarely the same. LOL

I just thought I'd ask to see if there are any advantages of the ID vs the DL and as it plays out, it doesn't seem so since I've been using my Thai DL as ID everywhere. I'll keep doing that until it doesn't work I guess.

1 hour ago, Global Guy said:

I was told an international permit, as long as valid, can be used in Thailand. It's on the list of accepted countries last time I looked so I shouldn't have gotten fined those times either. I think the Thai DL of course is better to have and that's why I got it, plus to get Thai prices at all the places that have double pricing and that I plan on living here past the expiration of the international permit so I want to be as legit as possible. I've also been using the Thai DL as ID to change money and haven't had one problem either. 

I don't carry my passport, I always show my Thai DL and no questions asked. Of course that doesn't mean it's what the law says, but as we all know what the law is here and how reality plays out are rarely the same. LOL

I just thought I'd ask to see if there are any advantages of the ID vs the DL and as it plays out, it doesn't seem so since I've been using my Thai DL as ID everywhere. I'll keep doing that until it doesn't work I guess.

The international drivers permit is valid for 6 months of entering any country. If you stay longer in that country, you need a local drivers licence. Even if your permit is issued for 1 or 2 years, it does not mean that you can drive with it if you stay in any one country longer than 6 months. But that is off-topic in this thread.

I outlined the advantages of a legal ID as opposed just a DL to you already. If you see a difference between the law and reality and think this is "LOL", there is nothing else to say.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, onthemoon said:

The international drivers permit is valid for 6 months of entering any country. If you stay longer in that country, you need a local drivers licence. Even if your permit is issued for 1 or 2 years, it does not mean that you can drive with it if you stay in any one country longer than 6 months. But that is off-topic in this thread.

I outlined the advantages of a legal ID as opposed just a DL to you already. If you see a difference between the law and reality and think this is "LOL", there is nothing else to say.

Yes, I saw that and also replied that all the advantages of a Thai ID I currently get with a Thai DL. I'm not saying anyone is incorrect, just relaying my experiences. I'm aware of the international permit limits and was using it during its valid time frame (I'm pretty good at reading dates).

I also wrote that the law and reality are not always the same, recognizing that my experience does not negate the law. I was genuinely trying to see if there was a good reason for me to go through the time and effort to get a Thai ID and I see that there is not, in my case.

It's unfortunate you got an attitude over such a trivial issue (or whatever "there is nothing else to say" can be described as").

Yes, I saw that and also replied that all the advantages of a Thai ID I currently get with a Thai DL. I'm not saying anyone is incorrect, just relaying my experiences. I'm aware of the international permit limits and was using it during its valid time frame (I'm pretty good at reading dates).

I also wrote that the law and reality are not always the same, recognizing that my experience does not negate the law. I was genuinely trying to see if there was a good reason for me to go through the time and effort to get a Thai ID and I see that there is not, in my case.

It's unfortunate you got an attitude over such a trivial issue (or whatever "there is nothing else to say" can be described as").

I have both.You are right that DL usually works well but the pink id has increasing relevance and use.I believe it will become the standard in the future.Trouble is in the interim it can be an incredible time wasting experience if officials aren't familiar with it - and a lot aren't, meaning that to be sure one must carry a passport as well.I find a copy of a passport usually suffices.

If truth be told some proud holders of foreigners id do get a bit theological about it and get cross when scepticism is shown or at suggestions a passport should be carried as a backup.I am completely pragmatic.There are also those gluttons for punishment who like nothing better than long discussions with bewildered officials about what they ought to accept by way of id.I am not one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

I have both.You are right that DL usually works well but the pink id has increasing relevance and use.I believe it will become the standard in the future.Trouble is in the interim it can be an incredible time wasting experience if officials aren't familiar with it - and a lot aren't, meaning that to be sure one must carry a passport as well.I find a copy of a passport usually suffices.

If truth be told some proud holders of foreigners id do get a bit theological about it and get cross when scepticism is shown or at suggestions a passport should be carried as a backup.I am completely pragmatic.There are also those gluttons for punishment who like nothing better than long discussions with bewildered officials about what they ought to accept by way of id.I am not one of those.

If one has Permanent Resident status in Thailand then in many cases just showing a Passport - any Nationality - can cause more confusion than anything else.

I have had PR for many years and a few years ago had to once again renew my (British) Passport, since when I have never left Thailand so there are absolutely no Stamps of any sort in that Passport.

Often, when travelling up-country and checking into Hotels (for example) I am asked for I.D. and present my Thai Certificate of Residence (a white book); at a guess in more than 75% of instances the Check-in Staff have never seen this Document before and reject it - demanding to see my Passport.

I then reluctantly hand over my totally virgin British Passport and am immediately viewed with immense suspicion when the staff see there are no Visa entries or in / out Stamps etc..

Patrick

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

"long discussions with bewildered officials"  LOL...I learned over a decade ago not to do that!  That's surely a waste of time. Anyway, thanks for your reply. I guess I'll just wait until/if the Thai DL doesn't do the things a Thai ID can. Until then, I'll just carry my Thai DL. I used to carry a copy of my passport but again, I've never been asked for that. I know that doesn't mean squat but when I got pulled over last week where the cops were giving every motorbike rider a ticket but they let me slide without one when I showed the Thai DL to me shows that since I have a Thai document, they are happy with that. Thanks again....peace!

7 minutes ago, p_brownstone said:

If one has Permanent Resident status in Thailand then in many cases just showing a Passport - any Nationality - can cause more confusion than anything else.

I have had PR for many years and a few years ago had to once again renew my (British) Passport, since when I have never left Thailand so there are absolutely no Stamps of any sort in that Passport.

Often, when travelling up-country and checking into Hotels (for example) I am asked for I.D. and present my Thai Certificate of Residence (a white book); at a guess in more than 75% of instances the Check-in Staff have never seen this Document before and reject it - demanding to see my Passport.

I then reluctantly hand over my totally virgin British Passport and am immediately viewed with immense suspicion when the staff see there are no Visa entries or in / out Stamps etc..

Patrick

My white book never ventures out of the safe except when I travel abroad.I understand the predicament however and I have had numerous boring conversations about the absence of a TM 6 card.Some hotels (oddly enough the 5 star variety more than the lower tier ones) seem happy with a passport copy.I have had mixed experience with the pink id but the trend seems to be in the right direction.But the sensible advice is if in doubt take along your original passport.

My white book never ventures out of the safe except when I travel abroad.I understand the predicament however and I have had numerous boring conversations about the absence of a TM 6 card.Some hotels (oddly enough the 5 star variety more than the lower tier ones) seem happy with a passport copy.I have had mixed experience with the pink id but the trend seems to be in the right direction.But the sensible advice is if in doubt take along your original passport.

Exactly same experience, my new passport is also virgin, no stamps at all.

Just for an update, my friend and his wife - both Europeans with PR - just got their pink ID cards in Khet Wattana. From arrival at the District Office to leaving with pink card in had, took them 30 minutes. They said it would have been even quicker for one person.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/04/2016 at 11:04 AM, onthemoon said:

It has nothing to do with their wives. If you have PR, you don't need to do 90-day report any more, regardless of whether you have the ID card or not.

There are many official issues, from opening a bank account to renewing a driver's licence, for which you can use the pink ID card but not the driver's licence. Without the pink ID card, you need to carry your passport, Alien Book, and whatnot with you, as has been mentioned in this thread several times.

Of course it has nothing to do with their wives.

That was the point of my post. I was just pointing out that some people will believe what their wife tells them rather than make the effort to find out themselves.

I know guys who still buy cars in their wife's name because their wife told them it's not possible for expats to own anything in Thailand.

Stupid is as stupid does.

On 27/08/2017 at 8:51 PM, onthemoon said:

3 months not 6 and only if you have your own countries licence as well. It may be valid for one year but that is unimportant, it depends what each country decides to apply as to time you can use it.

Even the Pink ID card won't change that.

On 10/13/2017 at 10:20 AM, overherebc said:

3 months not 6 and only if you have your own countries licence as well. It may be valid for one year but that is unimportant, it depends what each country decides to apply as to time you can use it.

Even the Pink ID card won't change that.

I distinctly remember the IDP was valid for 6 months if you staid in one country - that was true 20 or 30 years ago. If you moved around, it was always valid for 6 months in the new country (unless it had expired; I had one that expired after two years). Times they are a-changing; it's only 3 months now? Well. Anyway, it has always only been valid in conjunction with the origin country's licence.

I now use a Thai IDP when driving abroad. I never stay longer than 2 weeks anywhere outside of my adopted home country, so I didn't keep up with the law.

You can't get a pink ID card within 3 or 6 months, so I don't know where this connection is from. Totally unrelated. You can get a Thai IDP with a non-B visa, if you have a Thai driver's licence. I had one long before I knew there was such thing as a link ID.

11 hours ago, onthemoon said:

I distinctly remember the IDP was valid for 6 months if you staid in one country - that was true 20 or 30 years ago. If you moved around, it was always valid for 6 months in the new country (unless it had expired; I had one that expired after two years). Times they are a-changing; it's only 3 months now? Well. Anyway, it has always only been valid in conjunction with the origin country's licence.

I now use a Thai IDP when driving abroad. I never stay longer than 2 weeks anywhere outside of my adopted home country, so I didn't keep up with the law.

You can't get a pink ID card within 3 or 6 months, so I don't know where this connection is from. Totally unrelated. You can get a Thai IDP with a non-B visa, if you have a Thai driver's licence. I had one long before I knew there was such thing as a link ID.

Never bothered with a pink ID card.

A couple of people I know got them because they were told that they wouldn't have to do 90 day reports if they held them ??

A local 'lawyer' was offering to do everything for them to get one at only 5000baht as well. ??.

After holding the Pink ID card for over 2 years. I can attest that the card is a hit and miss. Some places accept it as an ID, some places don't. It's up to the discretion of a place whether to accept it or not. If somebody has to jump a lot of hoops to get it, I'd advise no need as the perks are minimal(hit and miss). Having a driving license is enough.

• Thanks 1