Tony's Gym Oct 12 Promotion

toenail

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic bickering posts removed, everyone is sick of reading about what you guys can and cant do in whatever degrees of heat, stay on topic or take an enforced break.

A little conversation about the temperature inside a gym is OK but this is just plain ridiculous

Squash would be fun next time I'm in Pattaya... I've played a few tourneys so I'll do my best in giving you a good run around. I've been beaten badly many times because of superior skills but never because I ran out of steam.

As to keeping up in the gym, I'll gladly do the same workout with similar weights in regards to percentage of our body weight. That is the essential part when it comes to performance... That's why dips and chin/pull ups are nice equalizers. They give a real image as to someone's ability to perform.

There's plenty of other sports(if you can call them that) I love to laugh at and I have no issue doing them either. Let's go bowling and wear funny shirts!

As to keeping up in the gym, I'll gladly do the same workout with similar weights in regards to percentage of our body weight. That is the essential part when it comes to performance... That's why dips and chin/pull ups are nice equalizers. They give a real image as to someone's ability to perform.

Percentage of body weight lifting is usually an excuse smaller people make IF they are insecure. The strongest big guys can never lift as much as the strongest small guys as percentage of body weight. It's not a linear progression. You can see the figures if you peruse Olympic lifting and powerlifting world records.

Having said that, I would have been quite happy with 70 lbs strapped around my waist on dips when I weighed 120kg (264 lbs) for 10 reps (I now weigh only 100kg and gave up dips). At that body weight I could also do sets of 5 reps on chins with 40lbs strapped on. Nothing too exceptional, but not too bad for an old man.

Even in elite circles, a heavy guy will never out chin a small guy for reps. It just won't happen. The fatigue sets in quickly if you're heavy. You really need to add the total weight lifted to get an idea of energy expended. If a 250 lb guy does 10 reps he's lifted 2500 lbs total. If a 150 lb guy does the same, he's lifted 1000 lbs less in the same time period. That's a huge difference in energy expenditure. That extra 1000 lbs of work is produced by chemical reactions in the muscle - there's no way around it. You just can't bypass the laws of physics.... and of course it produces a lot more heat too.

There's a reason why big muscular guys aren't winning marathons or triathlons.

Don't get me wrong, I admire people who compete in all types of sports. I'm a spectator of many different sports. I just don't like people bragging about it too much and slagging off at people in different sports.

Edited by tropo

Squash would be fun next time I'm in Pattaya... I've played a few tourneys so I'll do my best in giving you a good run around. I've been beaten badly many times because of superior skills but never because I ran out of steam.

There's plenty of other sports(if you can call them that) I love to laugh at and I have no issue doing them either. Let's go bowling and wear funny shirts!

It's a shame you arent around. I bought a new racket yesterday and I havent tested it out yet.

I'm reasonably happy when I look in the mirror. What do you see?

I see a happy 57 year old who retired a long time ago. Overweight surely, but so what?

If I went to a gym I'd be bored and miserable and still overweight.

For anyone who does like gyms, Tony is currently heavily promoting another lifetime all-branch one-day special later this month at 15KBaht which seems like quite good value to me.

Smart training in the tropics(heavy and light cycles, proper rest; nutrition; hydration; stretching) will result in fat loss, power increase, lean muscle increase, natural increase in test', better libido and performance, and the ability to tolerate rude little 'pencil necks'.

Smart training anywhere will result in more energy, muscle and better libido and performance in bed. Not to mention you will be able to keep in shape at an older age.

It just takes a while and you will have to make some sacrifices, no problems if you want to be overweight, its a choice if your happy so be it. Thank god they are not forcing people to exercise.