Simple Visa Question

You get one stay of 30 days which can not be extended and without onward flight proof may not be allowed on aircraft - if you plan to stay longer than 30 days it would be much better to obtain a tourist visa first which provides a 60 day stay on arrival and 30 more from immigration later if you want. But there is no set limit on the number of times you may obtain 30 day visa exempt entry in answer to your question.

Can I ask another simple visa question....

I am on an extention due to 'retiremement' but have no 'Employment Prohibited' stamp on my passport. I have been offered a part time teaching job in a uni and although assistance will be provided with regard to visa/ W.P. implications, do I need to 'walk away' from the 11 months remaining on the above extention and obtain a 'B' visa and work permit and start over again???

Thanks

You get one stay of 30 days which can not be extended and without onward flight proof may not be allowed on aircraft - if you plan to stay longer than 30 days it would be much better to obtain a tourist visa first which provides a 60 day stay on arrival and 30 more from immigration later if you want. But there is no set limit on the number of times you may obtain 30 day visa exempt entry in answer to your question.

Small correction to the above: Technically you CAN apply for a 7-day extension of stay with the 30-day stamp. You must go to the immigration office and pay a fee of THB 1900. Not a great deal.

Also note: The Visa-exempt stamp is for 30 days only if you arrive by air. The same stamp will only give you 15 when entering by land.

I am on an extention due to 'retiremement' but have no 'Employment Prohibited' stamp on my passport. I have been offered a part time teaching job in a uni and although assistance will be provided with regard to visa/ W.P. implications, do I need to 'walk away' from the 11 months remaining on the above extention and obtain a 'B' visa and work permit and start over again???

Thanks

Normally, yes. As far as I know, Employment is only possible with a "B" Visa.

You can always apply for an extension of stay but it will not be allowed on a visa exempt entry (except for medical or other valid reasons). The seven days provided is to depart the country and is not an approved extension of stay. Although currently immigration seems to allow it that has not always been the case. No you can not obtain again.

Thanks

It is unlikely your labor office will issue a work permit on a retirement extension of stay but you can ask.

Thanks for the advice. It looks like I will get 30 days plus 7 days (cost 1900). Can I go back and apply for a second 7 day term and pay another 1900?

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is no. The 7 days is discretionary and you need an outbound flight ticket to get it, and you must leave within the 7 days. Much easier to get a visa, as stated.

Thanks for the advice. It looks like I will get 30 days plus 7 days (cost 1900). Can I go back and apply for a second 7 day term and pay another 1900?

I'm pretty sure the answer to that is no. The 7 days is discretionary and you need an outbound flight ticket to get it, and you must leave within the 7 days. Much easier to get a visa, as stated.

The answer definitely IS no for a second extension of the 30 day stamp. Not sure about the onward ticket as I was not asked for one. But the rules and their enforcement change all the time here.

Edited by fstarbkk

Thanks

It is unlikely your labor office will issue a work permit on a retirement extension of stay but you can ask.

But you would not have to leave the country to get a B visa. You could change from an extension for retirement to an extension based upon working.

• Like 1

I have visited a sort of Immigration sub-branch and the lady told me to visit the labour Office to try just what you suggested.

To be honest, I felt that I was being fobbed off by someone who either didn't know the answer OR just wanted to give the 'problem' to someone else.

I will now visit the labour office and try them for size!

Thankz

Can't legally work on a retirement visa, and yes you'll loose the remaining allowed extension before it expires if you change to another type of visa.

On the other question with the OZ passport, you'll get 30 days on arrival, and can extend it for 7 more for bt1900, then you have to leave, and reenter the country to stay any longer. No way around it if that is how you want to enter the country to begin with. A better bet is to spend the bt1000 for a real tourist visa, or two, or three, before you leave OZ, with just one tourist visa you can stay 60 days, and extend it for 30 more days for bt1900, a much better deal in the long run. With more tourist visas you do have to leave the country, and return to do it all again.

If you obtain a work permit you can legally work on a retirement extension of stay. But that is a Labor decision and has nothing to do with immigration.

You can convert a 30 day visa exempt entry to non immigrant 90 day entry at immigration if you meet the conditions for extension of stay. This is very useful for those on retirement or marriage who are unable to obtain a non immigrant visa prior to travel. But there should be 15 days or more remaining on entry when making application for change.

Thanks

Normally, yes. As far as I know, Employment is only possible with a "B" Visa.

Also available with an extension based on marriage.