Honda Phantom : How Long Can It Last ?

kaizoku

The question is easy how many KM do you think can it go ?

What will be too much for a second hand ?

I see a lot of model in between 40/50k km and people ask often more than 50k baht do you think this is overpriced ?

I know it depend a lot of the owner and how much he cared of it, but admiting the average case what would be too much km for a second hand for you.

Bonus question : except the Boss, is there an alternative to the Honda Phantom (new/second hand) in the same category?

50,000 is too much for a bike w/ 40-50km. 30,000 more like it. Phantoms have an issue w/ the cam tensioner around 30k. Need to check that it's been replaced.

Heard of somebody around here who rode a Phantom for 130,000km. Perhaps somebody will reply who knows more about that.

Alternatives: Lifan 250B (good bike) or Keeway 200.

>I see a lot of model in between 40/50k km and people ask often more than 50k baht do you think this is overpriced ?

Yes, imo much overpriced, even in good condition. But its a Honda and TiT smile.png

>I know it depend a lot of the owner and how much he cared of it, but admiting the average case what would be too much km for a second hand for you.

As you said, it depends on the previous owner. If the bike has 50,000 km on the clock, you can never be sure its not 100,000 km. All you can do is to check the bike carefully and look if the seller is trustworthy. If the bike is well maintained i may would buy an old Phantom, but i wouldn't want to pay much for it. Some sellers think they are gold and want to sell it for same price as new.

>Bonus question : except the Boss, is there an alternative to the Honda Phantom (new/second hand) in the same category?

As JSixpack said: Lifan 250B or Keeway Superlight 200 or Keeway Dorado 250.

Edited by wantan

Thank you for your answers.

To summarize :

Phantom is a robust bike if to care about it and change the wear parts (cam tensioner, tires, rear sprockets ...)

Could run up to 130k km and more.

Good price for second hand around 40 000 km would be 30 000 Baht.

Here are the prices I found on internet for this month and Pattaya area :

on bathsold :

Phantom 2006 - 41 000 km : 75 000 baht !!!

Phantom 2003 - 48 000 km : 49 000 baht

coconut ads :

Phantom 2005 - 39 000 km : 60 000 baht ...

Phantom 2005 - 40 000 km : 70 000 baht ...

Thaï visa (not Pattaya area) :

Phantom 2006 - 50 000 km : 52 000 baht

Phantom ???? - 37 500 km : 59 000 baht

I stop the list here .

Maybe I'm not looking at the right spot, also I checked in a lot of shop on the road side but I never find the 40k (not talking about the 30k).

Now considering the alternatives

Kawasaki Boss

Lifan 250B

Keeway superlight 200.

Keeway dorado 200.

Lifan and keeway are chiness brand isn't it ? I hear this is not really reliable.

Are they still produce the kawasaki boss ?

I hear about a 2012 or 2013 new phantom model is it true or only rumors ?

As a Phantom owner, had mine 5 years from new, 45,000 kms on the clock. Still looking good and this week changed brake pads front and rear, front and rear sprockets and chain and front Wheel bearings. I do an oil change at every 2K and replace the air filter every 4k. The bike is used daily and tomorrow I am riding to Muhkdahan from Phitsanulok, 537 kms. Yes it is a strong reliable bike and as previous posters have said if you take care then it will run and run. Good luck with your search and yes 50K Baht is too much for a bike with 40+Kms on the clock.

• Thanks 1

Thank martindavies, there is much better price event if it hard to understand, I send few email, I'm wainting for answer.

I spend the day in differents shop today and I couldn't find under 50k baht and the one in good condition were all above 60k.

Is someone know what was the price of a new honda phantom in shop , and when and why did they stop the production ?

Thank martindavies, there is much better price event if it hard to understand, I send few email, I'm wainting for answer.

I spend the day in differents shop today and I couldn't find under 50k baht and the one in good condition were all above 60k.

Is someone know what was the price of a new honda phantom in shop , and when and why did they stop the production ?

Production of the TA200 was stopped in Thailand on 3 March 2010

If you can't speak Thai maybe it's best to get a Thai friend to call for you. I rarely get replies from emails I send on that site. I just get my partner to call them for me. Much easier.

That site is defiantly the best place to search online if you want a good price.

Good luck with finding one

Edited by martindavies

Production of the TA200 was stopped in Thailand on 3 March 2010

If you can't speak Thai maybe it's best to get a Thai friend to call for you. I rarely get replies from emails I send on that site. I just get my partner to call them for me. Much easier.

That site is defiantly the best place to search online if you want a good price.

Good luck with finding one

As far as I remember they were about 88,000 baht new on the shop floor.

Captain Haddock, it's Capt Slash, had 2 Phantoms and could cover 40k km's in his 5 months of riding in Thailand.

I talked with the buyer of the his last Phantom, a local shop owner, who admitted that his workers will strip the bike, put it together looking like a new bike, and resell it. And his last Phantom was sold with 130K for 55,000 Baht. And the Phantom's odometer turns over at 99,999 k, voila a low mileage bike. Be cautious when buying a used Phantom from a shop.

Captain Haddock, it's Capt Slash, had 2 Phantoms and could cover 40k km's in his 5 months of riding in Thailand.

Incredible. Now, one thing I like about a Phantom is the relatively comfortable seat. It's not THAT comfortable though! I'd need some extra padding or something for such long rides as Capt Slash took.

Thanks for the link. Should answer all objections to the Phantom's build quality and maintainability at least.

I talked with the buyer of the his last Phantom, a local shop owner, who admitted that his workers will strip the bike, put it together looking like a new bike, and resell it. And his last Phantom was sold with 130K for 55,000 Baht. And the Phantom's odometer turns over at 99,999 k, voila a low mileage bike. Be cautious when buying a used Phantom from a shop.

My apologies. I was racking my brain for ages and I just couldn't remember Capt Slash name.

I read some of his rides and I was very impressed.

My apologies. I was racking my brain for ages and I just couldn't remember Capt Slash name.

No worries, I too suffer early onset alzheimers and was a fan of Tintin in my youth.

Good example of a Phantoms capabilities; here is a great trip report of off road exploration to the Salween River recently on 'dirt bikes', but here is the report of this trail being ridden first on a Phantom.

thumbsup.gifbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

No worries, I too suffer early onset alzheimers and was a fan of Tintin in my youth.

Good example of a Phantoms capabilities; here is a great trip report of off road exploration to the Salween River recently on 'dirt bikes', but here is the report of this trail being ridden first on a Phantom.

I read the trip report and all I can say is that he is a braver man than me to try that trip on a road bike and on his own.

I am also impressed with the Phantom too.

I read the trip report and all I can say is that he is a braver man than me to try that trip on a road bike and on his own.

I am also impressed with the Phantom too.

He probably wasn't worried about getting his feet wet :P