Halloween For My Village Kids

StevenHeidbriderSr

Today i announced that Halloween would be honored at my home and that every child 1 to 13 years of age that knocks on my door and says trick or treat will get candy and that the best costume will get 1000 Baht prize. I also encouraged parents to accompany thier children October 31st from 4:30 PM to 7:30 PM.

I was wondering if anyone else had done something similar and what were the results? So far only after a few hours after announcement there are at least 10 kids of family and friends that will certainly knock on my wife a I's door.

I decided to do this because we dont really do Christmas and had been trying to do something for the local kids that seem to run somewhat wild for the most part with little to do but play in the street.

Why do you wan't to introduce Halloween in Thailand?

Also a Halloween with a 1000baht prize. Never had it in the UK when I was a kid, but its celebrated now. Don't bring it to Thailand I can't be arsed answering the door.

I do Halloween, wife's idea as kids love monsters and such.

We don't go door to door as can't expect Thais to jump onto that.

Instead we hold a "Monster" party, with music, sound effects, I dress up as a montser, chase kids around the houses, wife drinks with parents, kids get lollies and sweets then go home.

We decorate the party in Pumpkins etc.

Note I'm an Aussie, we don't do Halloween there either!

Purely the Thai/Laos wifes idea - and locals have a fun themed party.

Xmas we do, again in similar vein. Easter I usually have games for kids, find the small chocolate eggs at SongKran - similar time as Easter, that's it for Easter.

• Like 1

So you are "trying to do something for the local kids that seem to run somewhat wild for the most part with little to do but play in the street" by introducing a tradition that encourages kids to wander the streets at night running wild if people do not give them a treat when they demand one?

I'm a little confused...... whistling.gif

I guess OP has a shop where all the effects can be bought?

When will people start to learn that various traditions are not the same all over the globe.

This halloween stuff got introduced to my country as well, and the greedy shop owners jumped on the bandwagon immediately.

Guess x-mas is just a day or 2 away as well?

Sorry for the rant,

dear OP please have fun.

We had something similar to Halloween in the local villages 2 weeks ago. All the kids take small bags of Sticky Rice around the houses in the villages where they swap them for treats and/or small amounts of money. Went on for 3 days in all the villages in the local area.

• Like 1

I guess OP has a shop where all the effects can be bought?

When will people start to learn that various traditions are not the same all over the globe.

This halloween stuff got introduced to my country as well, and the greedy shop owners jumped on the bandwagon immediately.

Guess x-mas is just a day or 2 away as well?

Sorry for the rant,

dear OP please have fun.

Don't worry, kids know how to make fun themselves. They do not really need Haloween for that.

Pretty sure to have visited somewhere a webshop which delivers Haloween products in Thailand. However that shop did not list a specific date I'm looking for. Google refuses to help me either. Google refers the string "trespassing Nicolas cage" not to a shop :-) but to a movie directed by Joel Schumacher in which a married couple is taken hostage by extortionists. Oh dear.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok this is a little late but got caught up in the US Election.

We had our Halloween and it turned into a Big Party for the kida as once they knocked on the door they seemed to just walk in, sit down, and watch Cartoons with the others that had already done so.

A great time was had by all. My wife and other adult relatives cooked fried noodles for the tykes and they all sat outside and ate heartily. My wife did however make me change the prizes so 1st place got 300 Baht 2nd place got 150 Baht and 3rd place got 100 Baht and each child got 20 Baht.

We has about 48 to 50 kids and it was just fun to see all the small smiling faces.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2469322709715.66912.1751779537&type=3