Things Which Are More Expensive In Thailand Than In Your Home Country?

meatballs

Got stopped in the car doing 140 km/h. and the police man said: Mister you can't go so fast, 110 is okay but not 140. Hmm okay I said; will 200 bath make you happy? Yes 200 bath is fine he said and we forget all about it!

And on my way I went after 200 bath was paid, doing 140 km/hbiggrin.png.

Try that in Denmark and you are fuc_ked.

Way cheaper than any Westerner country I would say.

That's one reason why I like Thailand so much, the rules are not so strict.

Which is why there is less regard for safety and more fatal accidents?

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got stopped in the car doing 140 km/h. and the police man said: Mister you can't go so fast, 110 is okay but not 140. Hmm okay I said; will 200 bath make you happy? Yes 200 bath is fine he said and we forget all about it!

Which is why there is less regard for safety and more fatal accidents?

I realized after my first war I did not need my grandmother any more. The war and the fact that she died. Not that I didn't like granny but I was OK by myself. BTW what country has seat belts in school buses?

Edited by chiangmaikelly

crikey i hope this is a wind up.

I am sorry the guy telling me about van prices, has never been there I guess.

You can't get beer at a gas station, 12 is low price for six pack

If you live "just outside of van" you will end up in either north or west van where only million dollar homes are, or richmond where only rich people from china live.. I was talking the cheapest are to live in van.

There is some great festivals in thailand.

You can't get food for the prices he said. Everyone knows that.

You can't compare plane rides to bus.

Please check craigslist for rent prices.

If you live "just outside of van" you will end up in either north or west van where only million dollar homes are, or richmond where only rich people from china live.. I was talking the cheapest are to live in van.

Toronto is even more expensive,

For the price of a coffee and pack of smokes and a city bus ride I can live a whole day in thailand in a similar fashion.

Toronto is even more expensive,

For the price of a coffee and pack of smokes and a city bus ride I can live a whole day in thailand in a similar fashion.

I couldn't try to compare Thailand with SF or Vancouver. They are in different worlds - the first world. Everything around is different and someone has to pay for it. I don't care if it's assured clean water or anything else about the infrastructure, but a lot of money has been spent to make them first world.

Comparing those two cities with anything in Thailand isn't apples to apples. To be fair I'd have to compare some area that's really low end in the first world, and even there you'd have honest cops and clean water and full services.

There's a LOT more individual freedom in the rural areas. I already said somewhere that it's perfectly legal for me to shoot firearms on my property or to hunt. I have deer, elk, wild turkeys, ducks, geese, and others on my property regularly. There are big salmon and steelhead in the river. I have a license to carry a concealed handgun - something you'd never get in SF or Van.

Also, those two big cities have massive taxes which add to costs. A guy in Van will pay $US25k for the same Harley I can buy for $18k, and no sales tax. I can license and register it for 4 years for $160. Neither Van, SF or LOS can come close to that.

Even so, I live near a beautiful town in the US and have all of the amenities offered just for being here. After all of these posts, I just don't think one can compare.

Edited by NeverSure

I couldn't try to compare Thailand with SF or Vancouver. They are in different worlds - the first world. Everything around is different and someone has to pay for it. I don't care if it's assured clean water or anything else about the infrastructure, but a lot of money has been spent to make them first world.

Comparing those two cities with anything in Thailand isn't apples to apples. To be fair I'd have to compare some area that's really low end in the first world, and even there you'd have honest cops and clean water and full services.

There's a LOT more individual freedom in the rural areas. I already said somewhere that it's perfectly legal for me to shoot firearms on my property or to hunt. I have deer, elk, wild turkeys, ducks, geese, and others on my property regularly. There are big salmon and steelhead in the river. I have a license to carry a concealed handgun - something you'd never get in SF or Van.

Also, those two big cities have massive taxes which add to costs. A guy in Van will pay $US25k for the same Harley I can buy for $18k, and no sales tax. I can license and register it for 4 years for $160. Neither Van, SF or LOS can come close to that.

Even so, I live near a beautiful town in the US and have all of the amenities offered just for being here. After all of these posts, I just don't think one can compare.

The thing is in Vancouver, it is like the 4th world, mental ill people EVERYWHERE, addicts EVERYWHERE, highest property crime rate in north America... working families pay over 70% of income on housing, debt levels highest in history..

I love my county, nice mountains and many other things, but we are the bottom suckers of the capitalistic freemarket. half the houses in Vancouver are purchased by overseas investors, what kind of country is that.

Thailand, .4% unemployment, even the poor can afford a smile and don't have to get beat up sleeping in doorways...

I am sorry, people have rosed colored glasses about Canada all the time, I laugh, we even have a super right wing gov at the moment.

Wanna see the 4th world ? Northern Canada Indian reserves.. -50, no clean water, it is $20 for 1 liter of pop, don't believe me look up some crap on the internet and you will see..

Rent, the 6,000 baht variety, not the 20-30,000 baht falang type.

Lunch, the 30 to 40 baht variety, not the 400 baht falang type.

You want to live like a farang in Thailand - they'll be happy to take your money. You want to live like a Thai in Thailand, it becomes one of the cheapest places in the world to live.

dam_n good post. I live in the 4500 baht variety with free internet. What gets me is the tax on imports. I want to bring in a $219 office chair for my room. The airline will hit me with $175 oversize bag fee for it. And if customs stop me they will tack on an 80% tax in addition. I may be stuck with buying the same cheap arse 1200 baht Big C chair that broke on me in the first place.

Dude, you want to import a chair to thailand for that kind of price ? Why not pay a local to make you a better chair for a way less than that ?

Yes imports are expensive, you want cheap Imports ? Move the USA, look what it did to their economy.

• Like 1

The thing is in Vancouver, it is like the 4th world, mental ill people EVERYWHERE, addicts EVERYWHERE, highest property crime rate in north America... working families pay over 70% of income on housing, debt levels highest in history..

I love my county, nice mountains and many other things, but we are the bottom suckers of the capitalistic freemarket. half the houses in Vancouver are purchased by overseas investors, what kind of country is that.

Thailand, .4% unemployment, even the poor can afford a smile and don't have to get beat up sleeping in doorways...

I am sorry, people have rosed colored glasses about Canada all the time, I laugh, we even have a super right wing gov at the moment.

Wanna see the 4th world ? Northern Canada Indian reserves.. -50, no clean water, it is $20 for 1 liter of pop, don't believe me look up some crap on the internet and you will see..

Actually, that's not much different than San Francisco and that's why I don't live there. To me, that's not the real Canada. I don't see the UK as only London, or the US as only SF or NYC. I have to get out in the heartland and meet the ordinary people in their ordinary homes which are still first world even if modest. That's the kind of place I live.

Now, here I'm considered "upper middle class." But on the same income in Van or SF, I might be poor, LOL. I sure would be in NYC. I just saw where the garbage collectors settled a strike with NYC for more money than I'll ever make, plus their retirement is outrageous. That's not the real US to me. The US and Canada both have such huge land masses that you couldn't fly in, spend a month in one place, and even come close to describing the whole of either.

What's it going to be - your Tundra or our deep South with a tropical climate? The Rocky Mountains or the Great Plains? We each have both crossing the border. How about desert in SW?

You'd have to drive 9,000 US miles to circle the US, and maybe farther. I once drove from Portland Oregon to Norfolk Virgina and back and it was more than 6k miles. The thing is, it was all first class limited access freeway with speed limits up to 75 mph, and I never saw a toll road.

I love Canada and Canadians, and I don't judge them by Van any more than I judge the US by inner city Detroit.

Peace.

• Like 1

Actually, that's not much different than San Francisco and that's why I don't live there. To me, that's not the real Canada. I don't see the UK as only London, or the US as only SF or NYC. I have to get out in the heartland and meet the ordinary people in their ordinary homes which are still first world even if modest. That's the kind of place I live.

Now, here I'm considered "upper middle class." But on the same income in Van or SF, I might be poor, LOL. I sure would be in NYC. I just saw where the garbage collectors settled a strike with NYC for more money than I'll ever make, plus their retirement is outrageous. That's not the real US to me. The US and Canada both have such huge land masses that you couldn't fly in, spend a month in one place, and even come close to describing the whole of either.

What's it going to be - your Tundra or our deep South with a tropical climate? The Rocky Mountains or the Great Plains? We each have both crossing the border. How about desert in SW?

You'd have to drive 9,000 US miles to circle the US, and maybe farther. I once drove from Portland Oregon to Norfolk Virgina and back and it was more than 6k miles. The thing is, it was all first class limited access freeway with speed limits up to 75 mph, and I never saw a toll road.

I love Canada and Canadians, and I don't judge them by Van any more than I judge the US by inner city Detroit.

Peace.

Thats the thing, housing in the decent small town in BC is very much the same as vancouver, food is much more than vancouver, internet most expensive in the world. banking fees, most expensive in the world.

You might not want to judge the USA by inner city Detroit, but go down to any other city in the region and even little ones, and it is pretty much the same, rich suburbs, poor inner cities and downs.

Sorry but there is homeless people everywhere in Canada, about the only place you can afford a home, even with two people working good jobs are in hellholes with no jobs in the 1st place, save a couple jems I wouldn't blab about here because everywhere is being bought up by Investors from China, even the Oil sand and farms in the praries.

I know Thailand isn't perfect, but I admire how the reserve much of the work and housing market for locals.. imagine the let every baby boomer that worked at Ford come in and buy anything they want, the whole of the thai working class would be priced out like us in Canada.

Hello dear friend. I tank for you coming here and lying through your teeth to forget that you are a sexpat

http://www.circulair...he-Tard/?ville=

Here is couche-tard aka Wink. A lot of them in a lot of gas stations.

12$ for 12 beer. thats 30baht a beer. If i was in canada today i could get one of those publicities for each major gas station and get sometimes 10.5$ for 12beers.

And lol @ good festivals in thailand. i'll just leave it at lol.

Everyone knows you cant get the food for those prices? Prove it? I eat in Canada for those prices all the time. Shit even Paccini is cheaper than most thai chains.

For the price of a coffee pack of cig and a bus ride? Well thats a sexpat's life.

For the price of a good meal in canada and gas to get from point a to b i can get a shitty meal and the same gas in thailand.

Thailans is only cheaper for sexpat and those affected by all the idiot taxes (Traffic violation, Cigarettes, Prositution) Or those who wish to live the third world lifestyle.

It's a fun place to party, once you have to live a real life staying here is completely retarded.

You are lying, you can't buy beer at gas stations in BC, you just can't .. you just can't, you have never been here then. .. you can only get beer in gov approved locations, and you could never get buy beer for 30baht a beer, it is now over $7 for a pint in any pub in Vancouver.

I have great meals in Thailand for 2-3, in Canada the same meal is about $20, ok maybe Thai food is exotic.

I am also sorry I am not a sex pat, I have a beautiful girlfriend of 8 years, i have never paid for sex in my life and just don't think it is something I will ever to do. Just not my thing.

I think you have established that BJ is not a Canadian (the beer thing). I wonder what nationality he is?

ps... 1 out of 3 junkies in Vancouver, have HIV...

http://en.wikipedia....wntown_Eastside

So don't want to judge Canada by Vancouver, then find out about Junkie Numbers in the rest of Canadian cities and homeless..

And our food supply is considered toxic to Europeans, even the USA for beef.

I think most if not all Western countries have their share of junkies now. I also think they tend to run higher on the HIV scale from sharing needles?

Wasn't the beef issue about mad cow disease, or am I thinking of something else? I seem to recall some US herds having to be destroyed because some Canadian animals had been imported with that disease? ?? If so, I don't see that as Canada's fault because who knows how that disease got into Canada. The US has just been lucky enough to catch it early and destroy the whole herd. Was that it?

I see things like the drug and homeless issues as being evidence of a general moral decline in the West. Maybe I'm wrong, be we all had a major financial Great Depression in the 1930's before there were any safety nets at all. It started before there was Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Welfare, Food Stamps, Housing Assistance... All of that. Yet the folks plodded through without resorting to heavy drug use or crime and all of that. That's all a more recent happening and it seemed to start in the 1960's with the Hippy deal. ??

That coincided with President Johnson's Great Society which ushered in welfare and food stamps and other safety nets. Now 47% of all Americans receive some kind of government assistance!!!! "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." No wonder we have huge deficits in spite of high taxes.

I just described an accounting "switch" in another thread, but the gist is that an error in one direction can double your problem. In short, if you don't make someone work, you won't have his income from taxes. Lets say that would be $500 a month. Instead, you give him $500 to live on, and you're short $1,000. Yep, think about it.

Interesting you guys can even name some examples. There isn't a single thing in Singapore which is cheaper than what it costs in Thailand.

The thread says more expensive than in your home country. Maybe no one lives in Singapore.

Yes, and there is nothing in Thailand which is more expensive than it is in Singapore.

Interesting you guys can even name some examples. There isn't a single thing in Singapore which is cheaper than what it costs in Thailand.

The thread says more expensive than in your home country. Maybe no one lives in Singapore.

Yes, and there is nothing in Thailand which is more expensive than it is in Singapore.

Actually a Ferrari 458 Italia is about THB 3.5 million more expensive in Thailand than what you would pay for it in Singapore...wink.png

So much for sweeping statements...thumbsup.gif

Actually a Ferrari 458 Italia is about THB 3.5 million more expensive in Thailand than what you would pay for it in Singapore...wink.png

So much for sweeping statements...thumbsup.gif

Well I've lived in Singapore all my life so I know what I'm talking about wink.png

So much for nitpicking... thumbsup.gif

It's more expensive to get a square centimeter of space clean for more than few hours in thailand than in singapore. The ammount of money it cost in thailand is infinite since its impossible. T

Anyone who has a good Thai wife has a clean home. I do. My wife is even a bit obsessive about it. Any number of restaurants and hospitals are very clean. I can only surmise you don't live in Thailand or live in a very dirty place.

"You chose a city in Canada where everything is more expensive than the rest of the country and then you compare this to holes in the wall in Thailand. Really? You make no sense sexpat"

Is it really necessary to insult people? You use the term sexpat like it would bother anyone here? And the term "retarded" is just wrong and immature. Neither of these makes your argument more convincing.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

"You chose a city in Canada where everything is more expensive than the rest of the country and then you compare this to holes in the wall in Thailand. Really? You make no sense sexpat"

Is it really necessary to insult people? You use the term sexpat like it would bother anyone here? And the term "retarded" is just wrong and immature. Neither of these makes your argument more convincing.

Cheers

they're not arguments they're facts

Cheers

they're not arguments they're facts

Your absolutely correct BJ. The fact that its insulting. But let's not argue the facts. Cheers BJ.

Edited by chris1dna

I am surprised this website hasn't been mentioned in this tread yet. Unless I missed it of course. Apologies if that's the case. I have done several comparisons so far and it seems to me that in most cases where it concerned everyday living in Thailand vs San Francisco and most other western city's, Thailand comes our Waaaaaaaaay less on terms of what it actually will cost in terms of lifestyles being similar. Actually a pretty broad demographic is represented and it's continually updated. With facts I presume. I hope it's ok to post the link here Mr Mod. My humble sorry if so. Please feel free to remove if so.

Cheers :)

http://www.numbeo.com/common/

In regard to the OP.

It's easy to see that some of the small western items that we may take for granted as being cheap are truly more to purchase in Thailand. That being said, it doesn't necessarily mean it's more expensive. Certainly to an expat living on a fixed shoestring budget barely making the minimum income requirements it will be a burden if he wishes to maintain a total western lifestyle. I imagine that many if not more than many including myself have no qualms about not expecting nor really desiring the total western lifestyle. I hope to find a happy medium of both. Now while I have only resided in Thailand a few months at a time and visited dozens of time for a month or more over the last 14-15 years, AND retiring to the LOS in a few years, I can reasonably determine with some degree of certainty that if one wants to find fault with these assertion's it will be based on semantics and nitpicking. Yes, many if not most imported "western goods" are more costly. BUT, and it's a big but, are they more expensive? It's really relative isn't it? Relative to ones expectation and desire? Ones income? On a daily basis most of the various staple items are far less in Thailand. At least relative to what i currently am paying Fact's being what they are and all. At least I hope so. But then again reality and facts are frequently at odds are they not?

Sorry for the rant TV. Cheers. :)

It's more expensive to get a square centimeter of space clean for more than few hours in thailand than in singapore. The ammount of money it cost in thailand is infinite since its impossible. T

I get what you mean, but I don't mind the state of cleanliness in Thailand that much.