Things Which Are More Expensive In Thailand Than In Your Home Country?

meatballs

After reading 191 posts on this topic what can we conclude ?

Thailand can be or less or more expensive than "home" based on how you want to live your life..rolleyes.gif

there is no right or wrong answer

Clearly the message didn't get through.

What a surprise, given the audience. wink.png

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>As always, it's horses for courses.

I'm only able to compare UK and Thailand prices, but renting a house in Thailand is far cheaper than renting in the UK, so - local fruit and veg are far cheaper, chicken and pork are far cheaper too. Plus, no council tax.

IMO, the true basics - housing and food are far cheaper in Thailand (as long as you don't expect the same food). Not sure whether elec is more expensive or not and if you want Western food, it is far more expensive.

'Buying' land is cheaper (outside the popular areas), as is house construction costs for a basic house. But the house is likely to be sub-standard (compared to the UK).

Food in Thailand has gone up a lot over the past few years and so have petrol and houses. Petrol in the UK is £1.37/ltr (67 baht). Renting a house in South East England is very expensive, 60,000+ baht/month and that's for a small 4 bed detached house with a double garage and a small garden, nothing special. Buying local food in England is also expensive unless you shop at Lidl or similar while house and car insurance are a total rip off. Then you have council tax on average >£1,000/year, electricity is on average also over £1,000/year, gas another £1,000/year and water about £500/year. Yes you can drink the water straight out of the tap if you like the taste of chlorine. Bottled water is the choice of many and that's expensive too. So you want to drive into London that will be £5 sir! Parking well in every town or city the chances of finding somewhere within walking distance that is free and not limited to an hour at most is difficult. Parking meters abound as do traffic wardens! Then you have lots of large stores but most do not offer free parking or any parking and if you need to park at your local hospital then again you have to pay the same as at all town centre car parks. I could go on and on................... Yes I do own my house and LAND in England and I don't have to fill in a TM7 or extend my stay every year and nor do Thais with leave to stay in England. However, if you decide to live abroad you weigh up the pro's and con's first.

Now anyone telling me it's more expensive to live in Thailand must have a very poor memory.

Edited by Anon999

bloody hell there's not enough room,well my cider in the uk.costs £10 to £13 a case of 24,here it cost me 2,400bht=about £49.then there's hp sauce,branston pickle,oxo cubes it goes on and on.sad.png

But do you really need these items to live here, sure you would survive without them..biggrin.png

whats a bacon buttie without the hp,cold meat sarnies without branston, and gravy no oxo's but i can survive without them,but my cider after being brought up on the bottle of scrumpy 55yrs ago this i cant survive without.my wf understands so she has given up drinking and her luxury chocs.pass another can darling

Well for a start a Bacon Butties should have decent slices of Bacon in it,not always easy to find in Thailand,sometimes good Danish Bacon is available,but as often as not,expensive vacuam packed Streaky Bacon S**t you wouldn't give to your Dog.

I'm only able to compare UK and Thailand prices, but renting a house in Thailand is far cheaper than renting in the UK, so - local fruit and veg are far cheaper, chicken and pork are far cheaper too. Plus, no council tax.

IMO, the true basics - housing and food are far cheaper in Thailand (as long as you don't expect the same food). Not sure whether elec is more expensive or not and if you want Western food, it is far more expensive.

'Buying' land is cheaper (outside the popular areas), as is house construction costs for a basic house. But the house is likely to be sub-standard (compared to the UK).

Food in Thailand has gone up a lot over the past few years and so have petrol and houses. Petrol in the UK is £1.37/ltr (67 baht). Renting a house in South East England is very expensive, 60,000+ baht/month and that's for a small 4 bed detached house with a double garage and a small garden, nothing special. Buying local food in England is also expensive unless you shop at Lidl or similar while house and car insurance are a total rip off. Then you have council tax on average >£1,000/year, electricity is on average also over £1,000/year, gas another £1,000/year and water about £500/year. Yes you can drink the water straight out of the tap if you like the taste of chlorine. Bottled water is the choice of many and that's expensive too. So you want to drive into London that will be £5 sir! Parking well in every town or city the chances of finding somewhere within walking distance that is free and not limited to an hour at most is difficult. Parking meters abound as do traffic wardens! Then you have lots of large stores but most do not offer free parking or any parking and if you need to park at your local hospital then again you have to pay the same as at all town centre car parks. I could go on and on................... Yes I do own my house and LAND in England and I don't have to fill in a TM7 or extend my stay every year and nor do Thais with leave to stay in England. However, if you decide to live abroad you weigh up the pro's and con's first.

Now anyone telling me it's more expensive to live in Thailand must have a very poor memory.

More and more I'm getting the impression that it must be very expensive to live in parts of the UK, just as it is in some major cities in the US. However, if I choose small town US, it all changes.

I could choose to live in a town small enough that I could get around on a scooter, and rent would be very affordable. Many other things would be cheaper tha LOS too, including as I've mentioned that I'd get full health ins. coverage for $125 per month via Medicare for seniors. Gas is still under $US4.00 a US gallon here, and good food is actually cheaper.

Some forget that at least in the US, we are bombarded daily with coupons in the newspaper for big sales. Buy one, get one free etc.

Cars and motorcycles are cheap here and I pay about $500 a year per vehicle for full coverage. I could get it on a scooter for more like $200.

Here is a link to rentals in Galveston Texas. I don't live near there, but I chose it for the warm weather and the low cost of living. If one moved to a very small town 30 miles from Galveston, it would get even cheaper. Live like some do in LOS, and I can't see how the cost would increase. Not only that, but the water and all food would be safe. There would also be safety nets for the low income people.

http://galveston.craigslist.org/apa/

I keep posting links to prices, and challenging people to post links to similar in LOS, but I get no takers.

Edit. Can you really beat this by a ton in LOS, full American style with central heat and air a given? All to US standards?

http://galveston.craigslist.org/apa/3335919280.html

Edited by NeverSure

Lol.. Vancouver canada $50 for taxi home, $10 20 smokes, $1200 crap 1 bedroom with crackheads out your door, $120 riding bike no helmit fine, $120 ferry with car and back to vic, $20 for low end meal, $12 six pack of beer, $15 cover charge for low end dance club, $300 weekend pass for music fest.. Goes on and on, everage cell bill is now $80 a month for not being able to watch youtubes or add more. Greyhound bus $5hrs, $80.. Crack hotel in BC $80, ok hotel $160..

things cheaper, computers, cars gmo crops, junk food, suntain loation,

I work hard, I can't afford taxi, eating out, clothes, cell bill..

Lol maybe the states is afforable in some areas, but been to SF latley.

In thailand I can take a cab and eat out,take a train.. All that is about one tenth the price.

The sexpats are unable to compare apples with apples.

Living in an expensive UK city is the same as living on ThongLor and never leaving that area.

They need to lie to others in order to make them forget that they are infact here because they cant have women back home, can't just admit that its not cheaper.

More and more I'm getting the impression that it must be very expensive to live in parts of the UK, just as it is in some major cities in the US. However, if I choose small town US, it all changes.

I could choose to live in a town small enough that I could get around on a scooter, and rent would be very affordable. Many other things would be cheaper tha LOS too, including as I've mentioned that I'd get full health ins. coverage for $125 per month via Medicare for seniors. Gas is still under $US4.00 a US gallon here, and good food is actually cheaper.

Some forget that at least in the US, we are bombarded daily with coupons in the newspaper for big sales. Buy one, get one free etc.

Cars and motorcycles are cheap here and I pay about $500 a year per vehicle for full coverage. I could get it on a scooter for more like $200.

Here is a link to rentals in Galveston Texas. I don't live near there, but I chose it for the warm weather and the low cost of living. If one moved to a very small town 30 miles from Galveston, it would get even cheaper. Live like some do in LOS, and I can't see how the cost would increase. Not only that, but the water and all food would be safe. There would also be safety nets for the low income people.

http://galveston.craigslist.org/apa/

I keep posting links to prices, and challenging people to post links to similar in LOS, but I get no takers.

Edit. Can you really beat this by a ton in LOS, full American style with central heat and air a given? All to US standards?

http://galveston.cra...3335919280.html

God, texas is a hellhole, Austin is good but many places are violent dumps with no jobs, no culture and you couldnt compare to thailand in any way

Lol.. Vancouver canada $50 for taxi home(take the bus 3$), $10 20 smokes(So what? Its the govt charging you for all the $ you're gonna cost taxpayer by killing yourself and others with your stupid cigs), $1200 crap 1 bedroom with crackheads out your door(Live 20mins from downtown and boom, 1.2k gets you a large 3br, same as in bangkok. 1.2k in bangkok gets you an appt next to hookers and shit and cockroach infested street filled with soi dogs and touts), $120 riding bike no helmit fine(Again that's a tax for idiots who cant protect themselves because of their stupid haircut. You fall and it cost taxpayers 100k to fix your littlehead so nobody cares about the idiot tax except idiots), $120 ferry with car and back to vic(It cost almost that to take a 1hour plane ride in thailand on a lowcost third world airline), $20 for low end meal(Same in thailand. Theres a lot of lowend meals for 600baht and also for 150baht. You can find the same in vancouver you'Re just being ignorant right now even a steamed hotdog with salad 1$. One of my favorite thai-viet place in canada has a business lunch menu everyday for 250b. 3 course high quality. Even in the business center of my city there's a very popular asian restaurant on a very expensive street where you can get rice meals for 120b with actual meat in them and quality ingredients), $12 six pack of beer(no a 6pack is 6$ even at a gas station. In thailand for a decent beer of Molson standard its 20$ for a 6pack), $15 cover charge for low end dance club(Same in thailand you have covers on some bad bars and none on some good ones. Price vary. but in Vancouver if theres a fire you will not die.), $300 weekend pass for music fest(You want a bottle of milk with that whine? There's no music festival worth going to in Thailand. AT ALL. No good artists ever come here. They have a semi-popular jazz festival in huahin but people get killed each year... fantastic culture or lack of).. Goes on and on, everage cell bill is now $80 a month for not being able to watch youtubes or add more.(No 4g in thailand and no ability to get a phone on contract. Unrealiable networks) Greyhound bus $5hrs, $80.(Dunno what price you're trying to push through but at least in Canadian bus you dont have a chance out of 10th to be involved in a major accident). Crack hotel in BC $80(Do some research, easy to find cheap and nice looking bed and breakfasts or guesthouses in canada that are of similar quality to most hotels. High class hotels are a bit cheaper in thailand though), ok hotel $160..

In thailand I can take a cab and eat out,take a train.. All that is about one tenth the price.

An other genius comparing an expensive high quality city with a cheap third world city.

Please use a small town 30mins away from Vancouver or compare Vancouver with Thonglor or other expensive parts of Bangkok. Even compare it with Phuket then Vancouver is FAR cheaper. FACTS.

Edited by BabyJebus

The sexpats are unable to compare apples with apples.

Living in an expensive UK city is the same as living on ThongLor and never leaving that area.

They need to lie to others in order to make them forget that they are infact here because they cant have women back home, can't just admit that its not cheaper.

Bangkok is cheaper then San Francisco.

I'm paying 54,000 baht a month for an apartment in San Francisco, a comparable apartment in Bangkok can be had for less then 30,000 baht. As we've been over many times, food is much cheaper in Bangkok. Cell bill is cheaper, internet is cheaper and electric is about the same. So in the end for an identical lifestyle I would save maybe $2000/mo in Bangkok.

I haven't made the move, because taking a job teaching math for 60,000 baht is enough to live on (comfortably) but it's not enough to fly to japan and china 10-15 times each winter to ski. Since skiing is my favorite hobby, well I'm stuck here for now. Actually I just got an offer in China, one year contract, maybe that will open some doors elsewhere in Asia.

Of course you are just trolling, so I don't know why I'm biting smile.png

Edited by akspace

Lucky I have a shipment of baked beans and wine arriving from Australia today then!!

yes u r mate ...wine is at least 50%cheaper in oz and cheese here in thailand is steep ...just bring more with u when u come here ...a lot of guys if they stay in the same hotel r now leaving their luggage at the hotel it allows u to bring 20 kilos of cheeses some wine ...watch the duty free limits vegemite some packaged meats ..preserves tea bags coffee etc u can save a bundle ..baked beans at the moment in oz u can get for a dollar ....i have to really watch the dough now in patts i look for bargains all the time ...fuc_k good cigars r exe

Lol.. Vancouver canada $50 for taxi home(take the bus 3$), $10 20 smokes(So what? Its the govt charging you for all the $ you're gonna cost taxpayer by killing yourself and others with your stupid cigs), $1200 crap 1 bedroom with crackheads out your door(Live 20mins from downtown and boom, 1.2k gets you a large 3br, same as in bangkok. 1.2k in bangkok gets you an appt next to hookers and shit and cockroach infested street filled with soi dogs and touts), $120 riding bike no helmit fine(Again that's a tax for idiots who cant protect themselves because of their stupid haircut. You fall and it cost taxpayers 100k to fix your littlehead so nobody cares about the idiot tax except idiots), $120 ferry with car and back to vic(It cost almost that to take a 1hour plane ride in thailand on a lowcost third world airline), $20 for low end meal(Same in thailand. Theres a lot of lowend meals for 600baht and also for 150baht. You can find the same in vancouver you'Re just being ignorant right now even a steamed hotdog with salad 1$. One of my favorite thai-viet place in canada has a business lunch menu everyday for 250b. 3 course high quality. Even in the business center of my city there's a very popular asian restaurant on a very expensive street where you can get rice meals for 120b with actual meat in them and quality ingredients), $12 six pack of beer(no a 6pack is 6$ even at a gas station. In thailand for a decent beer of Molson standard its 20$ for a 6pack), $15 cover charge for low end dance club(Same in thailand you have covers on some bad bars and none on some good ones. Price vary. but in Vancouver if theres a fire you will not die.), $300 weekend pass for music fest(You want a bottle of milk with that whine? There's no music festival worth going to in Thailand. AT ALL. No good artists ever come here. They have a semi-popular jazz festival in huahin but people get killed each year... fantastic culture or lack of).. Goes on and on, everage cell bill is now $80 a month for not being able to watch youtubes or add more.(No 4g in thailand and no ability to get a phone on contract. Unrealiable networks) Greyhound bus $5hrs, $80.(Dunno what price you're trying to push through but at least in Canadian bus you dont have a chance out of 10th to be involved in a major accident). Crack hotel in BC $80(Do some research, easy to find cheap and nice looking bed and breakfasts or guesthouses in canada that are of similar quality to most hotels. High class hotels are a bit cheaper in thailand though), ok hotel $160..

An other genius comparing an expensive high quality city with a cheap third world city.

Please use a small town 30mins away from Vancouver or compare Vancouver with Thonglor or other expensive parts of Bangkok. Even compare it with Phuket then Vancouver is FAR cheaper. FACTS.

Why. You are just a lost sexpat totally confused about Thailand. Everyone else knows Canada is expensive and Thailand is cheap. But we all doubt you live in Canada anyway. Where do you live? Did you have to come to Thailand because you couldn't find a woman at home? It is OK if you like women from Thailand. A lot of people on Thai Visa do too.

Well at least here you have the choice , live a Thai standard living , buy food on the street and drink water ... I go to Villa time to time if I have a dinner at home , all imported products are very expensive thanks to the high import duties ... put high duties on Thai product and you will see how they will cry. what is cheap here ? sex of course otherwise there wouldnt be so many people coming here for this purpose. whistling.gif

Yes a LOT of things are more expensive in Thailand but a LOT of things are much much cheaper. On the cheap side is things like car or motorbike repairs which are a FRACTION of what you'd pay in USA. Restaurant meals, IF you stick to local foods, are a FRACTION of what they are in the USA. Labor of all types like maids, gardeners, construction work, plumbers, etc are a FRACTION of what they are in USA.

More expensive? New cars, anything imported.

I have no problem at all in giving up most all the imported things like wine, cheese,etc as the prices are astronomical. I actually find that giving up all the western imported foods etc means i eat better fresher foods at a fraction of the cost if i insist on imported. A trip to a villa market in Bangkok is a shock to the senses as to the cost of simple imported items is absurd. Yet i see farang after farang in there buying a basket full of imported items and i always wonder are you rich or are you stupid?

My favorite &lt;deleted&gt; item in Thailand is a bottle of listerine. About 150 baht for a 750 ml bottle. You can buy a generic version in USA for about 90 baht for two litres. Never understood why some Thai company doesn't make a generic version. Its basically water and alchohol...not rocket science. Listerine must be amazed at how much they can charge here.

Almost any small town in BC is as much to live in or much more than Vancouver, houses are a half a mill for crappy place in courtney, happen to want to live in a nice coastal town, or mountain town like NElson BC, lol.. $30 will hardly get you a few veggies and some soap at a good store, otherwise, try walmart crap, canned seafood from China.

And by the way, Vancouver is BORING, a hot dog on the street is now $7, not a single pub left in the city besides the yuppie ones, there is thousands and thousands of crack heads out all over, gang warfare, rain 7 months of year, traffic ? Many people make $10.25 an hour in Vancouver at the min wage, many... homeless in every corner.. no community, riots after hockey games.

Ok, I live in one of the cheapest small towns in BC for rent.

1L of petrol $1.35

1 L of mild at the local corner store $3

Rent (this is the cheapest small town on th coast) $800 for small dump $1500 for a house.

All food at least 20% more than Vancouver, the cheapest food in BC is in Vancouver

It is very expensive to live in a small town in BC, really a simple piece of land with a view and house, GOOD LUCK, it is all owed by overseas investors from China, Japan, USA... no working person can afford Van, or the small towns.

Just saying, Thailand is about 1/10th the price for most daily living things as I have calculated. It is just silly for anyone to compare them, sure if you are buying swiss cheeze in Thailand, or looking for Pizza Hut, well that just makes you a sucker as it is the lowest quality of junk food, who cares. Go eat mango and have some nice healthy chicken rice and soup.

The Thail resterant in my town has pad-thai - $20 a plate, packed everynight, that means pad thai is 1/16 the price in Thaland than Canada !

Almost any small town in BC is as much to live in or much more than Vancouver, houses are a half a mill for crappy place in courtney, happen to want to live in a nice coastal town, or mountain town like NElson BC, lol.. $30 will hardly get you a few veggies and some soap at a good store, otherwise, try walmart crap, canned seafood from China.

And by the way, Vancouver is BORING, a hot dog on the street is now $7, not a single pub left in the city besides the yuppie ones, there is thousands and thousands of crack heads out all over, gang warfare, rain 7 months of year, traffic ? Many people make $10.25 an hour in Vancouver at the min wage, many... homeless in every corner.. no community, riots after hockey games.

1L of petrol $1.35

Rent (this is the cheapest small town on th coast) $800 for small dump $1500 for a house.

All food at least 20% more than Vancouver, the cheapest food in BC is in Vancouver

It is very expensive to live in a small town in BC, really a simple piece of land with a view and house, GOOD LUCK, it is all owed by overseas investors from China, Japan, USA... no working person can afford Van, or the small towns.

Just saying, Thailand is about 1/10th the price for most daily living things as I have calculated. It is just silly for anyone to compare them, sure if you are buying swiss cheeze in Thailand, or looking for Pizza Hut, well that just makes you a sucker as it is the lowest quality of junk food, who cares. Go eat mango and have some nice healthy chicken rice and soup.

The Thail resterant in my town has pad-thai - $20 a plate, packed everynight, that means pad thai is 1/16 the price in Thaland than Canada !

A trip to a villa market in Bangkok is a shock to the senses as to the cost of simple imported items is absurd. Yet i see farang after farang in there buying a basket full of imported items and i always wonder are you rich or are you stupid?

they might be neither rich nor stupid but are willing to pay a certain price for things they enjoy.

Well, I like to thing sex is free for me, I am not a sex pat, of course bread is cheaper in Canada, they have half the country covered in monsanto crops dumping pesticides from Airplanes, of Course cheeze is cheap they subsidise the industry (by the way look up the xl foods mega slaughter houses contraversy.. gross man)

One thing is for sure, you can be sitting there eating a $1.25 bowl of amazing noodles and some cheap ass is complain about the prices. You could give away stuff to these kind of cheap bums and they would complain.

Well, I like to thing sex is free for me, I am not a sex pat, of course bread is cheaper in Canada, they have half the country covered in monsanto crops dumping pesticides from Airplanes, of Course cheeze is cheap they subsidise the industry (by the way look up the xl foods mega slaughter houses contraversy.. gross man)

One thing is for sure, you can be sitting there eating a $1.25 bowl of amazing noodles and some cheap ass is complain about the prices. You could give away stuff to these kind of cheap bums and they would complain.

A trip to a villa market in Bangkok is a shock to the senses as to the cost of simple imported items is absurd. Yet i see farang after farang in there buying a basket full of imported items and i always wonder are you rich or are you stupid?

they might be neither rich nor stupid but are willing to pay a certain price for things they enjoy.

Exactly, I sometimes buy certain expat food because I want it, never mind the price, it's just a small sacrifice to me considering what I saved on other things living here.

• Like 1

Yes a LOT of things are more expensive in Thailand but a LOT of things are much much cheaper. On the cheap side is things like car or motorbike repairs which are a FRACTION of what you'd pay in USA. Restaurant meals, IF you stick to local foods, are a FRACTION of what they are in the USA. Labor of all types like maids, gardeners, construction work, plumbers, etc are a FRACTION of what they are in USA.

More expensive? New cars, anything imported.

I have no problem at all in giving up most all the imported things like wine, cheese,etc as the prices are astronomical. I actually find that giving up all the western imported foods etc means i eat better fresher foods at a fraction of the cost if i insist on imported. A trip to a villa market in Bangkok is a shock to the senses as to the cost of simple imported items is absurd. Yet i see farang after farang in there buying a basket full of imported items and i always wonder are you rich or are you stupid?

My favorite &lt;deleted&gt; item in Thailand is a bottle of listerine. About 150 baht for a 750 ml bottle. You can buy a generic version in USA for about 90 baht for two litres. Never understood why some Thai company doesn't make a generic version. Its basically water and alchohol...not rocket science. Listerine must be amazed at how much they can charge here.

Tesco makes it for 50 baht I think which I cut 50% with hydrogen peroxide because I don't like the sweetness. Hydrogen peroxide is 20 baht for a big bottle.

Got stopped in the car doing 140 km/h. and the police man said: Mister you can't go so fast, 110 is okay but not 140. Hmm okay I said; will 200 bath make you happy? Yes 200 bath is fine he said and we forget all about it!

And on my way I went after 200 bath was paid, doing 140 km/hbiggrin.png.

Try that in Denmark and you are fuc_ked.

Way cheaper than any Westerner country I would say.

That's one reason why I like Thailand so much, the rules are not so strict.

Rent, the 6,000 baht variety, not the 20-30,000 baht falang type.

Lunch, the 30 to 40 baht variety, not the 400 baht falang type.

You want to live like a farang in Thailand - they'll be happy to take your money. You want to live like a Thai in Thailand, it becomes one of the cheapest places in the world to live.

dam_n good post. I live in the 4500 baht variety with free internet. What gets me is the tax on imports. I want to bring in a $219 office chair for my room. The airline will hit me with $175 oversize bag fee for it. And if customs stop me they will tack on an 80% tax in addition. I may be stuck with buying the same cheap arse 1200 baht Big C chair that broke on me in the first place.

1L of petrol $1.35

1.35$ is about 40baht. That's the price for gas in thailand

1500$ is what it cost for a decent western house in bangkok or phuket

You're probably just bad at finding good places in CAnada. All the Canadians i know can live cheaper than that while not really trying to save money or i might be out of the loop with Vancouver but every other major cities is much much much cheaper than living in most of Thailand's developped areas.

Edited by BabyJebus

Got stopped in the car doing 140 km/h. and the police man said: Mister you can't go so fast, 110 is okay but not 140. Hmm okay I said; will 200 bath make you happy? Yes 200 bath is fine he said and we forget all about it!

And on my way I went after 200 bath was paid, doing 140 km/hbiggrin.png.

Try that in Denmark and you are fuc_ked.

Way cheaper than any Westerner country I would say.

That's one reason why I like Thailand so much, the rules are not so strict.

So you moved to Thailand to avoid all the idiot's taxes? Just say it straight.