Bangkok: Rush-Hour Traffic Slowing Down

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RT @justindunne: While BKK automobile traffic speed has decreased 1% in the last year, walking speed, in collaboration with mobile phones, has dropped 64%.

Thai walking speed reduced? Is that anatomically possible? Surely a statistical error.

Or were they measuring in the floods?

Lol

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

And they trust some unqualified police man who can hardly count to 10 to control traffic lights and traffic flow in the heart of Bangkok in the rush hour.

Edited by metisdead
: Tiny font resized to default forum font size.

The only solutions are unworkable, that is to either charge vehicles a daily rate in Bangkok or introduce a tax or fee on vehicle ownership.

Fiddling with the traffic lights, telling people to share cars and other such ideas are not going to cut the mustard I'm afraid.

Both aforementioned schemes have had limited success in Singapore, noting that it costs S$90,000 to buy a licence to own a car (valid for 10 years) and cars are also very expensive but Singapore is still facing major traffic problems.

Such a scheme would be contrary to Thailand's image as the Detroit of Asia and you can be sure it would be opposed by the major manufacturers.

The daily charge would require major investment but is probably the only solution IMHO.

It has not worked in Singaoore for several reasons

1 COE allocatiins not monitired for years, good revenue for government

2. Owning a car is still one if the five C's of Singaporeans

3. Car companies allowing zero deposit 100% value car loans whereas it used to be only 70% funding.

4. 10 year loan terms makes for lower monthly payments.

In Sao Paulo Brazil depending on your license plate ending number, either even or odd. Even numbers and odd numbers can drive in the city every other day. So the rich people buy two cars one for even days and the other for odd days, the poor get screwed once again. Sometimes life just isn't fair. This is off topic but I just couldn't resist. offtopic.gif

• Like 2

How about abolishing the first car discount act, to discourage people buying cars.

And just because public transportation would be boosted doesn't solve Bankokian's desire for cars.

The first car policy is just going to encourage people to buy more cars to make Bangkok the parking paradise of the future...

The first car policy makes traffic jams worth, as well as the "construction of new roads" which doesn't solve any traffic problems in the first place, got it?

They encourage buying cars because most of them are made in Thailand, and hundreds of thousands of people are working in this industry.

What they can do is expand the MRT and BTS faster, so more people would use them for commuting.

How about abolishing the first car discount act, to discourage people buying cars.

And just because public transportation would be boosted doesn't solve Bankokian's desire for cars.

The first car policy is just going to encourage people to buy more cars to make Bangkok the parking paradise of the future...

The first car policy makes traffic jams worth, as well as the "construction of new roads" which doesn't solve any traffic problems in the first place, got it?

They encourage buying cars because most of them are made in Thailand, and hundreds of thousands of people are working in this industry.

What they can do is expand the MRT and BTS faster, so more people would use them for commuting.

You gotta be kidding yourself if you think this will solve the traffic problem. It's not about expanding public transportation, IT'S ABOUT Bangkokian's general desire for cars."

Remember Thailand is a status based society, so taking public transportation isn't normal in high society circles and is a matter of losing face. And owning and buying cars IS part of FACE…

No way that Bangkokians ditch their cars.

The other factor is that people from the outer provinces live in the false hopes that a life in Bangkok will gain them higher salaries, when in fact the cost of living in Bangkok is soaring. So with that belief many people come to Bangkok with the belief for higher salary than in their provinces…

If Thailand can divert decent jobs all over the country, people don't have to come to Bangkok all the way, just in the belief of making more money....

But of course the Government will never allow that to happen, to drive people away from Bangkok, that's like losing face....

• Like 2

Completely agree!

If you think the traffic is getting worse, get ready for next year when many of the cars under the first discount car tax roll out. This government is using taxpayers' money to appease the Japanese car manufacturers for its flood fiasco last year by boosting their car sales. The money should've been used wisely to improve people's living quality and standard and not vice versa. on top of it, the Thai officials had a gripe about foreign media rated Bangkok with the worst trafficin the world. Look at its policy then...

Time to leave BKK and its traffic behind!

• Like 2

The only solutions are unworkable, that is to either charge vehicles a daily rate in Bangkok or introduce a tax or fee on vehicle ownership.

Fiddling with the traffic lights, telling people to share cars and other such ideas are not going to cut the mustard I'm afraid.

Both aforementioned schemes have had limited success in Singapore, noting that it costs S$90,000 to buy a licence to own a car (valid for 10 years) and cars are also very expensive but Singapore is still facing major traffic problems.

Such a scheme would be contrary to Thailand's image as the Detroit of Asia and you can be sure it would be opposed by the major manufacturers.

The daily charge would require major investment but is probably the only solution IMHO.

What about a congestion charge ? these are imposed in Singapore, London, San Diego, Stokhlom and Milan and Beijing has just announced a congestion charge.

Edited by Asiantravel

You gotta be kidding yourself if you think this (BTS and MRT expansion) will solve the traffic problem. It's not about expanding public transportation, IT'S ABOUT Bangkokian's general desire for cars."

It would solve my traffic problem. I ride the BTS and MRT. If the BTS or MRT don't go there- there needs to be a real good reason for me to go there.

If the BTS and MRT went more places, I would, too..

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Completely agree!

If you think the traffic is getting worse, get ready for next year when many of the cars under the first discount car tax roll out. This government is using taxpayers' money to appease the Japanese car manufacturers for its flood fiasco last year by boosting their car sales. The money should've been used wisely to improve people's living quality and standard and not vice versa. on top of it, the Thai officials had a gripe about foreign media rated Bangkok with the worst trafficin the world. Look at its policy then...

Time to leave BKK and its traffic behind!

I left Bangkok 8 years ago and now live in a small moo ban way out in the countryside where a major traffic jam is anything longewr than 2 minutes.

Yes I go to BKK but as little as I can and I let the bus take the strain and use the BTS and subway during the day.

What about a congestion charge ? these are imposed in Singapore, London, San Diego, Stokhlom and Milan and Beijing has just announced a congestion charge.

San Diego and Stockholm aren't exactly monster cities like Bangkok, London or Beijing.

The big cities in your list all have large mass transit systems. (i.e. Bangkok has currently got a single, rather short, underground line, and two, slightly longer elevated rail services and the train to the airport. i.e. It would be like suggesting a congestion charge in London if the only mass transit was the DLR and the Heathrow Express.).

Edit: I'm pretty sure that traffic in Bangkok during the rush hour moves a lot faster than it did in London the one time I tried to drive in to the centre on a morning rush hour. (never attempted it again, and only did it that time because I had to drive to Bournemouth later in the day)

Edited by bkk_mike

The cost of a bus has risen from 2 baht to 8 baht over the last ten years. The start cost for a meter taxi was 35 baht ten years ago. It is now 35 baht. Factor in the tax breaks for new cars and the 'face factor' surrounding owning a new car and being seen to drive it, and you can start to see what the root of the issue is.

Nothing about changing the traffic light timing then.

what timing, they are all controlled by stupid police man who know nothing about traffic flow. And most work for the interested parties like motorways that they give priority to traffic flow into the motorways

Bangkok is a mess. It is a study in how not to run a city. In spite of what people think, there really isn't a 'city center'. There are a lot of centers. There are industrial estates and factories all over the city. There are large trucks hauling tons of goods from one end of the city to the other on a constant basis. You cannot easily drive from point A to B, public transport frequently can't get you there and riding a bicycle is really pretty dangerous. Sidewalks don't exist in some areas. No hope for the place.

Bangkok is a nice place to visit, but living here is a nightmare.

• Like 1

what timing, they are all controlled by stupid police man who know nothing about traffic flow. And most work for the interested parties like motorways that they give priority to traffic flow into the motorways

After living and working on Sathorn/Silom/Sukhumvit CBD area for the last 20 years, I can say without the shadow of a doubt, that traffic lights management in Bangkok is an absolute insanity and most certainly the main culprit in the humongous traffic jams we have all encountered, especially on a rainy Friday when it falls on or after the 28th of any given month .

• Like 1

Nice idea, how do you build pooyai exemption into the calculation?

Part of the issue is the way Thais are polite drivers... note I said polite not good. Bangkok runs on the 'convoy' system where large numbers of cars go at once. Great in most cases but here, there are so many sois and Thais being Thais, let each other in, thereby negating the convoy system. For me its a love / hate relationship. I hate the traffic snarls but love the way I can walk across a busy street and cars actually stop for you... couldn't do that in Oz.

That is the obvious and easy answer.

No one has read the instructions for the traffic lights yet. Nor do they understand how changing the timing will make a difference in the traffic.

Apparently an expert from America came to look at the traffic problems and suggested Thais abolish the 'convoy' system. But they chose to ignore his report.

Part of the issue is the way Thais are polite drivers... note I said polite not good. Bangkok runs on the 'convoy' system where large numbers of cars go at once. Great in most cases but here, there are so many sois and Thais being Thais, let each other in, thereby negating the convoy system. For me its a love / hate relationship. I hate the traffic snarls but love the way I can walk across a busy street and cars actually stop for you... couldn't do that in Oz.

Your experience is different from mine Thais where i live near BKK dont let you in and are certainly not polite blocking whole lanes so they can take a turnof at the last possible moment cutting in front of everyone. Have you ever driven a car here or a bike ? Just curious because of the difference in our experience.

You must be joking .

My first advice to friends visiting Bangkok for the first time is to warn them that Thai drivers will not stop for a pedestrian at zebra crossings .

• Like 1

Stop telling these people to be ' Number One ', rather get there when you get there and do it safely. Enforce lane discipline and stop people flying up the outside or inside turn lanes only to cut in at the last second etc., etc. Many years ago a survey was done on the M6 at Birmingham. They proved that the result of people forcing their vehicles into the nearside lane when joining the motorway actually caused motorway traffic to come to a complete standstill some miles back up the motorway. They then installed traffic lights on the slip-roads to try and stop this. How about offering the big factories a sweetener to re-locate to enterprise zones out of the capital thereby reducing the number of worker's vehicles ? I think I'm dreaming, this is Thailand of course.

Edited by finnomick1

Stop telling these people to be ' Number One ', rather get there when you get there and do it safely. Enforce lane discipline and stop people flying up the outside or inside turn lanes only to cut in at the last second etc., etc. Many years ago a survey was done on the M6 at Birmingham. They proved that the result of people forcing their vehicles into the nearside lane when joining the motorway actually caused motorway traffic to come to a complete standstill some miles back up the motorway.

More or less every other day I get stuck 5 to 30 minutes in traffic for precisely this reason near the Thailand Cultural Center; drivers some a**hole would block the left turning lane so he/she can cut in front of the line, and this happens constantly 10 meters from well manned (as in a goodly number of cops, not actually good performing) police traffic box.

I've seen 2km traffic snarls from an overpass over Ratchada from one single driver a**hole doing this.

• Like 1