Centurians

gennisis

I knew one lady who was 106, in good shape, very thin but still smiling and witty talking...About 5 years i've never seen her, i will ask somebody about her.

Yes...but the Daily Mail article was about drivers and they claimed over a thousand people with driving licences were aged over 100....a frightening thought of them taking to the roads.

Just imagine a thousnd centurian drivers driving to a rally along the motorway. !!

I knew one lady who was 106, in good shape, very thin but still smiling and witty talking...About 5 years i've never seen her, i will ask somebody about her.

Yes...but the Daily Mail article was about drivers and they claimed over a thousand people with driving licences were aged over 100....a frightening thought of them taking to the roads.

Just imagine a thousnd centurian drivers driving to a rally along the motorway. !!

Well, i re-read the OP, i can't see any mention about driving !

But i agree with you, scary thought. almost as scary as intoxicated teen drivers speeding and having fun.

Centurian: The commander of a century in the ancient Roman army

Centenarian: A person a hundred or more years old.

I wouldn't think there are many of the former in Thailand.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon
  • Like 1

Just because one holds a licence does not mean they still drive. Well, one of those mobility scooters maybe, which they like applying novelty number plates and headlights to, and then insist they're permitted to be driven on the road.

Data taken from population censuses, life tables constructed from the Survey of Population Change (SPC), regional model life tables, and records in civil registration. Life expectancies of centenarian cohorts were derived from SPC life tables. Model life tables of corresponding levels were applied to determine survival ratios. These ratios were then applied to census population data for 2000 to estimate the number of centenarians still surviving in 2010.

These demographic procedures yielded an estimate of about 1,700 surviving centenarians in 2010, which was only 12 percent of the number recorded in official civil registration figures.

Hope that helps your curiosity

Edited by CharlieH

Data taken from population censuses, life tables constructed from the Survey of Population Change (SPC), regional model life tables, and records in civil registration. Life expectancies of centenarian cohorts were derived from SPC life tables. Model life tables of corresponding levels were applied to determine survival ratios. These ratios were then applied to census population data for 2000 to estimate the number of centenarians still surviving in 2010.

These demographic procedures yielded an estimate of about 1,700 surviving centenarians in 2010, which was only 12 percent of the number recorded in official civil registration figures.

Humm....still dont believe it.....The queen would have full time staff just to send the greetings .

Humm....still dont believe it.....The queen would have full time staff just to send the greetings .

I don't think it takes that long for HM's staff to print a card off to be honest!?

And in response to your OP; there was a TV programme on the other day (I forget which channel, but think it was 3?) about a village near Nakhon Sawan that has a very high number of people 80 years and older. There were at least 3 centenarians and about 10 or 15 people in their 90s as well - some of the women were still clambering up the side of a mountain to gather bamboo to cook with too!

Centurian: The commander of a century in the ancient Roman army

Centenarian: A person a hundred or more years old.

I wouldn't think there are many of the former in Thailand.

Sophon

Just curious,

How many of the former are or where in Thailand?

I haven't met any here in Thailand......but before I moved here there was a regular lady at the age of 101 that used to drink at the Steelers Club in Wollongong, Oz.

Every Sunday she would be there with her son of 70 something ( who was in poorer health than his mother) and have her regulation 2 schooners of beer while the meat raffles were on.

That was almost 2 years ago....so I hope she is still going strong and winning a few meat trays.

btw....she could walk on her own without any aid, no walking stick or frame to be seen.