Winter Beckons In Thailand's North

webfact

Winter beckons in Thailand's North

image_201210111308014E6FCF6F-0680-79D2-F242E85A1CE2F1F3.jpg

CHIANG MAI, Oct 11 - Temperatures are dropping in Thailand’s northern provinces as winter approaches, after the floods began to fade, and cleanup is under way.

Royal Agricultural Angkhang Station has adjusted its foral garden design to prepare for an influx of tourists coming to enjoy the chilling weather. The average night temperature recorded at 16-18 degrees Celsius. Some tourists travel to experience cool breezes in the mountains.

In Nan province the temperature drop is particularly noticeable at dawn and dust, both in town and in other districts. A thick morning fog reduces visibility to less than 100 metres. Commuters are warned to drive carefully!

Fog also covers the entire province of Loei. Provincial Meteorological Office chief Kamphan Butraj said winter is sooner than expected this year, with the lowest temperature recorded at 11.5 degrees Celsius at Phu Luang wildlife sanctuary.

At Phu Kradung National Park, the temperature was recorded at 15 decrees Celsius. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-10-11

I like to travel up North to cool down and see new vegetation and terrain ,people, foods and all those cool lakes,streams and winding rivers.

Get away from the Wife and her city madness and relax, have a drink with a local dish...

I'll know winter has arrived when I need to wear 2 long-sleeved, high necked riding shirts, watchcap over the ears, socks and tennis shoes along with full fingered gloves on my morning bike ride. Until then, it's just a bit brisk.

I love to see the locals wrap up in big coats and hats first thing in the morning as I cruise down the road in shorts and t shirt,some of the looks are priceless.

Oh yes.

That is definitely the biggest amusement during this so-called winter.

Also, hands up for the evening TV-sessions where everybody in the house is covered with blankets.

And the biggest amusement is hunting everyone to the showers.........

+15c is considered a National emergency!

Seems funny to us coming from the great white north, but with no central heating and homes made of concrete and tiles it can and does feel chilly if not down right cold at night. Showers are real torture!

Personally I love it,laundry loads are drastically reduced during the "winter" smile.png

Edited by HaleySabai

+15c is considered a National emergency!

Seems funny to us coming from the great white north, but with no central heating and homes made of concrete and tiles it can and does feel chilly if not down right cold at night. Showers are real torture!

Personally I love it,laundry loads are drastically reduced during the "winter" smile.png

I live in Chiang Rai, it's great. Giant tip... Even if you have electricity, you can buy a propane gas water heater, same wall mount size as an electric, push a button to fire off with a D cell battery built in, as hot as you like, propane (cooking gas tank) lasts an incredibly long time. About 2200 baht for the unit (+ tank + hose and reg.) It has no flue, just a vent on top, so it must be used with the window open or exhaust fan or just the normal vent blocks that are often installed in bathrooms. You could fill one of those black plastic concrete mixing tubs with really hot water and make a hot tub. Chiang Rai... "Hub of coolness."

Edited by Longtooth