Confused About Process To Renew Road Tax For Car

scorecard

In the past (in Bangkok) we always had to show a recent receipt from the insurance company to prove next year's insurance had been paid.

Yesterday my adult Thai son went to do the land tax renewal office here in CM, presented the blue book and the insurance receipt and was told that the insurance receipt is not needed.

My son is not so sure what happened last year (at the CM office) because we used an agent who kept my son at arms length from the actual government officer. The insurance receipt was included in the documents my son gave to the agent.

But my son realized that it was all quite simple, and this year did it himself.

So does this mean that it's up to the owner to renew or not renew the insurance?

Also, insurance companies don't issue the fancy holograph based sticker any more

I thought Thailand got real serious a few years back and it was now compulsory to have the level of insurance whereby the property and any injury / death in terms of the other party were fully covered.

Any members got some insights to share on this, please.

Edited by scorecard

You cannot pay the roadtax and get the sticker for next year withot having proof of having paid the insurance! I am sure that the officer at the DLToffice had a quick glance at the insurancepapers before ticking the box "insurance paid".

Showing paid insurance (compulsory) and registration book is all that is required. They did away with the CTPL sticker a few years ago so you will only receive the road tax sticker which effectively shows you've paid for the CTPL also.