Korea

jomtienfun

• 3 weeks later...

There were a couple of places that were foreigner friendly last time I went to Seoul. They were in the itaewon area. One was called California or something like that and the other if I remember was Queen disco. Was a long time ago but maybe they are still open? If they have been replaced by anything I would suspect they would be in the same area.

If you're interested in sex do a google search for "saunas". Most of these places (they only exist in Seoul and possibly other large cities such as Busan) are quite glad to get your money even if you're not a local. The ones in the western countries seem a bit sketchier (as with the ones in Itaewon in Seoul, which has a reputation as a slum area), but the ones in other parts of Seoul seemed to attract a more normal spectrum of guys - two that come to mind are Prince in Hongdae area and Black in Gangnam area (yes, the famous Gangnam). Some of the locals will ignore you but others will go nuts. The idea of one-off semi-anonymous sex may be a turn-off, but they're good if you're full of libido.

Here's the thing about Korea:

I have been living here since 2003. The only saunas here that I know of, are for straight sex only. Sure, there could be exceptions around Seoul, but I am not sure. This country is generally not gay-friendly. Gay men are excepted if they are not overt about their sexuality. Lesbians are shunned. Having said that, check out this site:

http://queerkorea.weebly.com/itaewon.html

I am not gay myself, but I have gay friends. Now, having said all that - I do have strong opinions about this country and vacationing here. They are only my viewpoints but I will state them so you can make an informed vacation decision.

I cannot recommend avoiding this country enough! It's not vacation friendly.

I am here for work. Most of the sites to see are up in and around Seoul - which is the most expensive area of the country. It's like vacationing in New York City. No real deals on hotels or shopping (unless you want to buy knock-offs). The attractions are generally uninteresting (I mean really, is it worth spending thousands on airfare to come learn how to make kimchi?). Sure, there are a FEW exceptions (DMZ stands out) but ultimately you may find you have wasted money you could have used enjoying a vacation in Macau, China, Japan, New Zealand, or Singapore.

Upon further reflection, to say this country is not gay-friendly is unfair. It would be more accurate to label this country as generally not foreigner-friendly. Xenophobia, prejudiced laws (favor locals), rudeness, self-centered, pushy, racist people (again, generally speaking). The driving here is horrible. Koreans drive as terrible as the Thais, no wait - WORSE - and unlike Thailand, the vast majority of motorists here have cars (not motorbikes). They park on the street, run red lights, break at green lights. Pedestrians WALK in the street oblivious of their surroundings.

The list goes on and on. Clearly I have developed a disdain for this place. But if you want to spend your hard earned cash and come here, so be it. Just keep in mind what I mentioned and you will see it too. The "Land of the Not Quite Right."

The list goes on and on. Clearly I have developed a disdain for this place. But if you want to spend your hard earned cash and come here, so be it. Just keep in mind what I mentioned and you will see it too. The "Land of the Not Quite Right."

Your impressions are the same as mine, Jeff. I got physically accosted one night by some drunken locals while waiting for the subways to start (calling me "whitey" and trying to pick a "fight") but managed to walk away; there's strong nationalism brewing there (as well as China and Japan, things could get heated in that part of the world).

First thing - Itaewon, as I said, is a sketchy dump, like the expat centres in some other places (maybe a *bit* like Khao San Road in Bangkok, though Korea doesn't attract backpacking crowds). I think "waygooks" (their word for westerner) with taste learn to avoid that place after the first visit. The only good thing I found about it is English-language bookshops, but you can get books much cheaper on craigslist.

RE: the saunas. There are "jimjilbangs", or actual saunas, all over the country. These are not what I'm referring to - the jimjilbangs are genuine saunas, actually very nice - usually around 8-10000 won (2-300 baht) and there are tons of different pools (separated into men's and women's areas as they bathe nude), plus a downstairs area with hot rooms and TV rooms and sleeping areas. These are *not* what I'm referring to, but are very good for having a few hours' soak (or sometimes for a cheap crash spot if you're out too late to go back by public transport).

The gay "saunas" are places for more or less anonymous sex, and have nothing to do with "jimjilbangs". I saw groups of friends coming and going as well; they don't actually have steam rooms in the gay "saunas"; there are downstairs places for changing, and are 8000 won during the day and 13000 won at night. I don't know of heterosexual "saunas" like that since it's pretty easy to meet girlfriends in standard ways (though westerners with Korean girlfriends regularly report getting harassed by the natives; they're like the rednecks of Asia). There's a listing on the site utopia-asia if you want to visit a place like this. I never saw another westerner at the ones in Gangnam or Hongdae, and most of the locals didn't seem at all interested, but others, like I said, will go wild. Places like this in the west would probably attract a very sketchy crowd, I wouldn't be interested in such back "home", but the ones in Korea seemed a bit more "normal", and I managed to meet some actual decent friends.

Are you there for travel or for work?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...