Electricity Tariff Hike

somchaismith

Today, just received the electrictiy bill, adn it's risen by around 10 percent per unit, overall. A bit of a shock really. On further investigation as to why, I found this,

Electricity bills likely to go up Bt0.38 per kW/hr

WATCHARAPONG THONGRUNG

WATCHARA PUSAYANAWIN

THE NATION September 4, 2012 1:00 am

Businesses and households are very likely to face an increase of 38.24 satang per kilowatt-hour in the cost of electricity during the September-December round, a source at the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) said.

Anyone feeling the pinch?

Edited by somchaismith

Not feeling the pinch as it's still very cheap compared to my electricity bills back in the UK years ago but yes has gone up a little as has my water bill by about 15% a unit this last week.

All the locals in the village are complaining about the rises.

Someone has to pay for all the free electricity given to the less wealthy (or lower consumers) over the past few years.

Personally, I think it has been a good thing (the free electricity for low consumers) and has helped poorer people cope with the rise in gasoline/food/beer prices.

Someone has to pay for all the free electricity given to the less wealthy (or lower consumers) over the past few years.

Personally, I think it has been a good thing (the free electricity for low consumers) and has helped poorer people cope with the rise in gasoline/food/beer prices.

Poor people can't afford beer. Lao Kao fo the plebs.....

Careful, there. That's an off-topic subject for discussion - you'll be finding yourself on a short holiday before you can say Butlins

I keep checking the list for new names. Back on topic, the announcement was was made some time back:

Fuel tariff to raise 18 satang during Sep-Dec

BANGKOK, 7 September 2012 (NNT) – The Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) has approved the raise of fuel tariff (FT) by 18 satang per kilowatt-hour during the last 4 months of 2012.

Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) Chairman Direk Lavansiri has revealed that during the month of September to December of 2012, the fuel tariff will be raised by 18 satang in line with higher gas and coal prices.

The actual FT charge should have been at 38.24 satang, but the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) has decided to subsidize it by 20.24 satang per unit in order to help consumers shoulder the burden of electricity bills. The subsidy will cost around 10.5 billion baht at this stage.

As a result, the total FT after the raise (18 satang) will be at 48 satang per kilowatt-hour. Coupled with the base electricity price of 3.23 baht per unit, the price of electricity per unit before value-added tax (VAT) will be 3.71 baht.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-09-08

I think that is the smallest problem. Someone has to pay for the huge corruption and mega projects from the government.

Electric is state owned.

I think that is the smallest problem. Someone has to pay for the huge corruption and mega projects from the government.

Electric is state owned.

I think the tax payer pays for those. I think a large proportion of Thais don't pay tax (except sales tax - but even then, not so much as you and me...) as their salaries are so pitifully low. Personally, I feel sorry for the middle-class wage-slaves in Bangkok who pay for it all, but have least opportunity to gain. I suppose at least they benefit from being connected to the world, unlike the peasants in the boonies

SC