Honda Jazz Problems Starting

kurnell

This is a 5 year old company car with about 50,000km on the clock and for the last 2 years the car occasionally fails to start for no apparent reason. Turn the key and nothing. We have taken it to Honda numerous times, but the mechanics just seem to scratch their heads as it never fails to start when they try.

Any suggestions??

Besides checking the obvious - connectors tight, battery good - my first guess would be the starter relay. This is a remote switch to allow battery voltage thru the cable to the starter.

Possibly this is failing intermittently - or any other remote switch on the starting circuit between the ignition key and the starter relay.

Besides checking the obvious - connectors tight, battery good - my first guess would be the starter relay. This is a remote switch to allow battery voltage thru the cable to the starter.

Possibly this is failing intermittently - or any other remote switch on the starting circuit between the ignition key and the starter relay.

I will tell this to the Honda chappy and see if it does any good, cheers.

It could be something your doing subconsciously that the spanner twirler doesn't do. Do you push down on the gear shifter when starting the car, put your foot on the clutch or brake, leave the air-con on? Maybe under the bonnet there is a loose wire. Possibly an electrical fault but it would be worth checking the starter relay as mentioned.

@ 2 years old, the primary suspect is going to be the battery..

Plenty of good tips here already though, but I will add one more: Check the crank angle sensor - it could be playing up when cold.. Without a signal from this, nothing at all happens.

Try using the spare key... Keys have been know to develop problems which means that the immobiliser doesn't receive the right signal = car won't start.

Cheers for all the above, I will check all suggestions. This one sounds very logical.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean the starter motor doesn't turn ?

No lights on the dash ?

Lights are on but fade ?

Just plain nothing ?

Does it do it when the engine is cold or hot or both ?

When the car has been left for a few days ?

Lights on the dash are on and don't fade, and it does it whether hot or cold.

Have you ever replaced the battery?

Honda Jazz/City/Civic batteries are absolute shit. Maintenance free my ass. You still have to pour that battery liquid in there like when I was 14 and my dad had a Toyota Tercel.

Until I bought the Cruze my wife had never seen a sealed battery.

If you've never replaced the battery, take it to B-Quick and get another one.

My City started acting up weird also, changed the battery, problems solved. The Honda batteries are so crap. The dealer told me I should change it every 1 1/2 years or so.

Honda Jazz/City/Civic batteries are absolute shit. Maintenance free my ass. You still have to pour that battery liquid in there like when I was 14 and my dad had a Toyota Tercel.

My City started acting up weird also, changed the battery, problems solved. The Honda batteries are so crap. The dealer told me I should change it every 1 1/2 years or so.

Did you make her look at it? .

I just got a 18month warranty Boliden sealed battery and love it. The metal areas around the battery don't corrode anymore and everything stays clean. It was about 2000baht for my 1.6L engine delivered to Ekkamai by motorbike. For the Jazz, your could go one size smaller, but I don't recommend it.

For starting/electrical issues, it's been my experience that 9 times out of 10, it's the battery.

Edited by SoCalChris
  • Like 1

Yep, many times

• 2 weeks later...